Status in LC

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Received Blarajan's official "sure" of approval

This thread's purpose is to answer some questions about status in the LC meta:
1) What is the best status to abuse?
2) What pokemon are the best to abuse status?
3) How to handle status?

Burn
Burn is one of the most prominent statuses in LC. Not only does it rack up some nice passive damage, its cut to attack is very potent at crippling the many physical attackers. Some common setters include:
Misdreavus has great combination of bulk and speed to cripple a lot of pokemon with Will-o-Wisp. It is arguably the best user of the move.
Larvesta and Ponyta both have Flame Body, which has a chance to burn any pokemon who makes contact. This is extremely useful for easily crippling physical attacks like Meditite, Mienfoo, and Pawniard.
While Growlithe doesn't have Flame Body, it does have Intimidate, making it very easy to burn or wall physical attackers.
Koffing is already a bulky pokemon, and with a resistance to fighting, it can reliably spread burns. Its major downside is its low speed.
As a burn spreader, Frillish has to compete with Misdreavus, however Frillish has reliable recovery and a water sub-type to set it apart. Like Koffing, however, it is too slow and the Knock Off buff means it can be tricky against the fighting types its meant to be crippling.
Scald is a way to spread burns while also attacking. While it is a bit unreliable due to having an activation chance of only 30% (though many an unlucky battler will claim its more like 99%), its a good way to spread a burn for pokemon who don't otherwise have another way.

Paralysis Paralysis is extremely useful for stopping sweepers by halving their precious speed. Its chance to prevent moving is enough to really change the tide of the match, and will surely make someone yell "hax!" Paralysis is a great support move for letting slower sweepers, like Bunnelby or Meditite, to quickly plow through the enemy.
Common paralyzers include:
Murkrow and Purloin have Prankster, so they'll always get a Thunder Wave in. Its infamous for the incredibly annoying "Parahax" set that abuses Thunder Wave's 1/4th chance to prevent movement and confusion's nastiness. Since their T-Wave has increased priority, it can be used as a reliable way to slow down set-up sweepers, allowing another pokemon to pick it off. (Though this usually means having to sacrifice the paralyzer)
Slowpoke and Porygon are grouped together because, in this case, they are quite the same. Both have good bulk and great recovery options to reliably spread paralysis throughout the enemy's team. They also form a great core; Slowpoke to take fighting types and physical attackers, while Porygon to take on ghosts, chinchous, and specially offensive pokemon.

Snubbull is like the Growlithe of paralysis. Its neat fairy typing and intimidate lets it take physical, non-pawniard, attackers with easy.
Ferroseed is a good T-Waver thanks to its insane bulk and solid typing.
Cottonee, like Murkrow, has prankster and a huge amount of status moves to abuse it with, notably Stun Spore. It can seep a lot of damage with Leech Seed as well, and will usually be found behind a substitute.
Chinchou is notable for being a T-Wave user who can also punish ground types who try to switch into the move.
Elekid has Static as its ability, which boats a nice chance to paralyze any enemy who comes in contact with it.
Sleep
Sleep, while less common, is HUGE for getting an advantage in the battle, by making it so the opposing pokemon can't even move. While it kinda suffered from a nerf this gen, its still a great status that requires a bit of strategy lest you get blocked by the Sleep Clause.
Common sleep inducers include:
These three pokemon, Foongus, Shroomish, and Paras, have access to Spore, the only 100% accurate sleep inducer. Foongus is the most common, however these three pokemon should also be faced with care.
Bulbasaur, Oddish, and Bellsprout like to abuse Sleep Powder in order to get ahead with their Sun Sweeping.
Poliwag's hypnosis can be devastating (if it hits, that is) because it gives Poliwag an opportunity to Belly Drum.
Vulpix, like the Sun Sweepers, can use Hypnomiss to good use by crippling a counter and plowing through a team with high powered, sun-boosted attacks.

Poison
Compared to the other statuses, poison isn't so great. In a metagame as fast as LC, the chip damage provided by the Toxic ailments usually does add up fast enough. It can be good on bulky teams, however other moves such as Leech Seed or Whirlwind are usually better.

Toxic Spikes are a hazard that cause the pokemon to become poisoned upon switching in. With two layers, this upgrades to the Badly Poison effect.

Confusion
Confusion, while volatile, gets a special mention for being so damn annoying.
Murkrow, Purrloin, and most pranksters, will employ tricky tactics with Swagger, Thunder Waver, and Foul Play.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Countering Status
Timburr's ability, Guts, boosts its attack whenever its inflicted with a status; turning them into a hilarious bonus.
Aromatherapy and Heal Bell cure your team from all status ailments.
Vullaby's ability, overcoat, gives its an immunity to Powder moves, namely Sleep/Stun/Poison powder and Spore. It also has a great Flying type to counter the most common users of these types.
Murkrow's insomnia gives it an immunity to sleep.
Grass types are immune to Powder and Spore moves, Electric to Paralysis (and ground but only for T-Wave), Fire types to Burn, and Poison and Steel types to Poisoning effects.
By switching in, grounded poison types will remove all Toxic Spikes on their side of the field. Defog and Rapid Spin will also remove them.

Natu's ability magically bounces back all status moves. Though this does not block Static, Flame Body, and secondary effects.
Substitute blocks all status moves, forcing the enemy to have to attack you. Taunt works just as well, and works for more than one turn. Fast taunters include Mienfoo, Meowth, Aipom, Voltorb, Pranksters, Archen, and Misdreavus.

Last edited:
nice post..only criticism is the ditto...it lost me

as a side note; while uncommon, Elekid and static have a fair chance at causing a paralysis, potentially stopping his counter while dying.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
How the fuck did you make a status thread and not mention Cottonee once wtf

I think Purrloin and Cottonee definitely need to be mentioned in the Paralysis segment (they have Prankster Thunder Wave and Prankster Stun Spore, respectively), especially if you're actually going to put Paras in the Sleep segment; I cannot remember the last time I've seen Paras used in Little Cup, and there's really no reason for it at all as long as Foongus exists.

Chinchou is also a notable user of Thunder Wave, as its Water STAB makes it the most threatening Electric-type Pokemon for Ground-types to switch in on to block its Electric moves. People also appear to have forgotten that Pawniard gets Thunder Wave as well.

Natu belongs in the Countering Status segment, as well as Substitute, and probably Taunt.

Also, you have Ditto as the image for Grass-types for some reason.

Other than that (I can't find any other fixes at the moment), the thread looks awesome! ♥

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
How about freeze? Even though it's very unreliable, it should still get a mention.

Also, it's new this gen that Poison-types are blessed with a 100% accurate Toxic.

REALLY MINOR NITPICKS:
- Only grounded Poison-types remove TSpikes
- There are more abilities like Insomnia; Vital Spirit can be used by Magby, Elekid and more (i think)
- Static omg
- Cottonee omg
- Comfusion is a different type of status, like "immobilized by love".

Awesome job!

Would leech seed be classified as status for the purpose of this thread? It can put pressure on defensive or bulkier teams and force a few switches. Someone like Cottonee can spread it around with Stun Spore to really irritate the other team. Ferroseed can use it with its bulk to pressure switch-ins and heal itself a little bit, especially with protect. Again, not sure if Leech Seed is still on the same level as the other status, so I'm not sure if it would be relevant enough to include.
Anyway, great thread, would be especially useful for newer player to find out what threats carry what status and how to deal with it.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Oh wow, can't believe I forgot Cottonee. I've always remembered it as more of a Leech seeder.

The ditto is there because that point mentions all the type's immunities, not just grass, and I needed a picture so why not the one who can be any pokemon?

I've added all your suggestions. Thanks!

How about freeze? Even though it's very unreliable, it should still get a mention.
Snover's Blizzspamming is the most effective way to take advantage of freeze.
Oh, so you're gonna switch out to an Ice resist to tank a Blizzard? Think again, you just got frozen solid, 2-3HKO'd, and Snover's gonna go ahead and put more dents in your team.
Of course, relying on freeze is... unreliable, but it can immediately shift the momentum of a battle in your favor.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Aside from some formatting that could use fixed up, I believe that the best status and one that should be extremely stressed is paralysis. Paralysis is literally the best status, as any of your pokemon will outspeed, unless you use like, minimum speed ferroseed. Just due to the nature, the 1/4 total speed or whatever it is basically means that the opponent has to be +4 just to equal speed (or whatever my math is probably horridly wrong). This puts it above any other status, and one that should always be included into teambuilding (with things like aromatherapy, or magnemite, or chinchou...CHINCHOU). If you have a paralyzed pokemon, it is essentially useless. Also if you have a free slot, and the pokemon can learn thunder wave, use thunder wave.

Another thing i think should be less stressed than it is, is poison. In LC poisoning is complete shit, due to how toxic works and how fast paced matches usually are. Most toxic spikes users are garbage, the exception being Tentacool, who isn't all that hot anyway. Common set uppers don't really care about toxic, as some are immune like pawniard, or some just wreck face anyway like carvahna, or some have an abillity to help them, like Shed Skin scraggy. as such I think poison should be much less stressed. "Poison is great for chipping health away from the opponent, making it very useful on bulky pokemon who need a way to deal consistant damage while performing a stall." Most pokemon using toxic have better means of stalling, be it wearing down by tri attack (porygon), eq/ just whirlwinding for sr damage (hippopotas), or leech seeding (lileep). The only pokemon I can think of effectively using toxic is Vullaby, who just baits in Pawniard. Just some thoughts I had

chimp

Go Bananas
Aside from some formatting that could use fixed up, I believe that the best status and one that should be extremely stressed is paralysis. Paralysis is literally the best status, as any of your pokemon will outspeed, unless you use like, minimum speed ferroseed. Just due to the nature, the 1/4 total speed or whatever it is basically means that the opponent has to be +4 just to equal speed (or whatever my math is probably horridly wrong). This puts it above any other status, and one that should always be included into teambuilding (with things like aromatherapy, or magnemite, or chinchou...CHINCHOU). If you have a paralyzed pokemon, it is essentially useless. Also if you have a free slot, and the pokemon can learn thunder wave, use thunder wave.

Another thing i think should be less stressed than it is, is poison. In LC poisoning is complete shit, due to how toxic works and how fast paced matches usually are. Most toxic spikes users are garbage, the exception being Tentacool, who isn't all that hot anyway. Common set uppers don't really care about toxic, as some are immune like pawniard, or some just wreck face anyway like carvahna, or some have an abillity to help them, like Shed Skin scraggy. as such I think poison should be much less stressed. "Poison is great for chipping health away from the opponent, making it very useful on bulky pokemon who need a way to deal consistant damage while performing a stall." Most pokemon using toxic have better means of stalling, be it wearing down by tri attack (porygon), eq/ just whirlwinding for sr damage (hippopotas), or leech seeding (lileep). The only pokemon I can think of effectively using toxic is Vullaby, who just baits in Pawniard. Just some thoughts I had

I agree with you on poisoning, it is pretty bad and I originally had much less to say about it. I'll try to make it less sugar coated but I'll keep the TSpikers since its probably the best way to spread poison.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
The thing you have to keep in mind with a status is that unless that Pokemon has a way of healing said status (Rest, Aroma/Heal Bell, etc) they're stuck with it. So if there's any one status you want stuck on a Pokemon, it's probably paralysis, because at least if they're already slow, it's adding a 25% chance of no attack, which while "luck based", is still something to be accounted for. Burn is also highly acceptable, but only if you know it will actually help the course of the match by rendering a physical Pokemon useless. Toxic is just not needed because it's not actually doing anything to the Pokemon except damage, and Poison is just...bleh.

My little cent about it (interesting topic I think).

About Swagger I don't want to speak about. Cause you can't!

Burn and Toxic are playable but it's quite difficult to choice like good strategy a stall playstyle. So TW and paralysis are the best in terms of power and reliability. Speed is always too important during the play and a 25% chance of no attack could be decisive.

chimp

Go Bananas
it's quite difficult to choice like good strategy a stall playstyle.
wot

Anyways, burn is used primarily to disrupt most physical attackers. The chip damage is just a little bonus. Like you said, paralysis is great to spread around, it helps out a ton of pokemon, especially HO teams with Meditite or MuscleBunny.

Sadly, all moves that can Freeze have only a little % chance of triggering the Freeze Status.
Ice Beam, Blizzard, Freeze Dry, Ice Fang, Ice Punch, and Shadow Chill only have 10% Chance to Freeze the opposing pokemon.
Tri-Attack has only less than 10% chance to Freeze. and Finally, Secret Power have 30% chance of freezing if the terrain is Icy. :(

♥ I'm looking for Flinching and Serene Grace users by the way. :) ♥

chimp

Go Bananas
Sadly, all moves that can Freeze have only a little % chance of triggering the Freeze Status.
Ice Beam, Blizzard, Freeze Dry, Ice Fang, Ice Punch, and Shadow Chill only have 10% Chance to Freeze the opposing pokemon.
Tri-Attack has only less than 10% chance to Freeze. and Finally, Secret Power have 30% chance of freezing if the terrain is Icy. :(

There are only 3 LC moms with Serene Grace. None of them viable enough to really abuse that strategy, except maybe Deerling.

I feel like Elekid should be in the "Countering Sleep" section, as Static just isn't the right ability for him. Getting free switch-ins on dangerous Spore/powder users (and subsequently Ice Punching their shit sideways) is a great option in so many situations. A paralyze chance on physical attackers stops being worth it when the mon in question isn't supposed to get hit by physical attacks in the first place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)