1. Remember to check the Simple Questions/Simple Answers , Suggestions , Bug Reports and Technical Support threads before posting. If you have something that warrants extended discussion then post a thread, but when in doubt, please use an already existing thread
  2. The moderators of this forum are the PS! Leaders (&) and Admins (~).
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  4. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Suggestions

Discussion in 'Pokémon Showdown!' started by Vacate, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Tiksi

Tiksi I send my scourge, I send my sword!
    is a Battle Server Moderator

2. aRandomWizard

aRandomWizard

It would be neat if you could link your Pokemon Showdown account to Twitter so people can upload replays quicker or find other players in an easy way. This would be especially cool for VGC players.
  3. Iglougl

Iglougl

Please turn the Protect button on the calculator into something useful: for example, figuring in another turn of leftovers and leech seed recovery would be really helpful. Therefore, it´s easier to handle LeechProtect Ferrothorn by knowing how many attack investment you need for a 2HKO without slowly calculating it by yourself! Thank you so much for reading :) CU iglougl
  4. Mighty Rising Ace

Mighty Rising Ace

maybe a link to bulbapedia or some site that gives more info on an item or move when you do /dt (item/move). Since there's only so much space to give so much info a link to a site that gives more detail on that item/move may be nice. For example, doing /dt grassy terrain on top of showing the details should also include a hyperlink on what I said above.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  5. Merritt

Merritt

Or instead of Bulbapedia, provide a link to the PS pokedex like /dt [pokemon] does since moves are certainly in there. For example, when somebody does /dt grassy terrain have the resulting header Grassy Terrain be a hyperlink to this page instead of being the just text it is now.
    Tiksi and Mighty Rising Ace like this.
  6. Scyther NO Swiping

Scyther NO Swiping :3

If you do /veekun (pokemon/item/move) it will take you to another site that provides information on what you searched. For example, /veekun grassy terrain leads to this page. Though I agree that it would be easier if moves linked to the dex like pokemon do.
  7. Snap

Snap

This honestly just would take up unneeded storage on PS (I'm assuming it would be locally in this situation) and you'd probably be better off just playing something in the background whether it be youtube or just your music on your phone.
  8. LibertarianMaster

LibertarianMaster

Please remove the STAB modification shown when checking/selecting attacking moves. Thanks in advance.
    Kierany9 likes this.
  9. Scyther NO Swiping

Scyther NO Swiping :3

Is there an objective reason you say this? We can't just remove features because one person doesn't like them.
  10. Merritt

Merritt

They're objectively incorrect!

152 SpA Level 5 Chinchou Discharge vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Level 5 Murkrow: 24-30 (109 - 136.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    Possible damage amounts: (24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 30)

152 SpA Non-Electric-type Level 5 Chinchou 120 BP Discharge vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Level 5 Murkrow: 24-30 (109 - 136.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    Possible damage amounts: (24, 24, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28, 30)

Or a level 100 example:

252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 216+ SpD Amoonguss: 343-406 (79.5 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Non-Ice-type Kyurem-Black 135 BP Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 216+ SpD Amoonguss: 341-403 (79.1 - 93.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Rolls are different you can see.

It's definitely not a big thing but there's an argument to be made that the sim is now lying by saying that STAB increases base power. I don't personally care either way but here you go.
  11. LibertarianMaster

LibertarianMaster

First of all what was the reason it was implemented in the 1st place? It's not like I object an old, well established feature. I object the change that was made very recently. I don't recall any hints on PS! that it's about to be implemented, not to even mention asking users about it.

Anyways I thought that it's commonly known that STAB doesn't increase moves base power per se. It increase damage output when STA is being used. Initially I thought that effectively it's the same thing as we can see from this post:
    This isn't true.

Every sound player knows about the STAB and, from what I've noticed in various rooms, for absolute newbies (I assume this features main goal is to help them, but IMO instead of holding their hand like that we should refer them to articles regarding competetive pokemon play) this feature caused them being more confused and roaming in the rooms asking about what STAB is and why suddenly some moves has different BP (which, as mentioned earlier, is not true at all).
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  12. Mighty Rising Ace

Mighty Rising Ace

To add on what I posted on my previous thread maybe also include the same hyperlink to an analysis when we do /dt (mon) so that the /analysis command does not need to exist anymore.

The reason being is when a newcomer to smogon/PS asks 'what is a good set for this mon', ppl can just say 'do /dt (mon)' to both show some basic information AND a link to an analysis which is more convenient when compared to it being in two separate commands. P.S may save some space on the server too.

Another thing is maybe implement some sound effects for the moves and not just the pokemon's cry if that hasn't already been done?
  13. gaazkam

gaazkam

At first I liked these new tooltips very much. But then I learned in the Help chatroom that they are objectively inaccurate.

The actual damage formula is like this:

[​IMG]

(source: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Damage#Damage_calculation )

Where Power is the move's base power and things like STAB and weather are factors of Modifier.

THerefore STAB and weather are not simple multipliers of a move's base power, as these tooltips suggest. This approximation would be appropriate for a more "casual" site; but since Showdown is oriented for competitive battling then all information present on this site should strive for maximum accuracy.

[​IMG]via Imgflip Meme Generator

Instead of these factually wrong tooltips I propose adding some calculator functionality to the chat, for example calculating the expected perentage of HP the opponent will loose if struck with a given attack. In randbats this calculator could treat opponents Def and SpD EVs as constants.
    LibertarianMaster likes this.
  14. LibertarianMaster

LibertarianMaster

Moral of this story is: check your facts before implementing "helpful features"

We already have a https://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/ that is even linked on the main site. No need to oveload chat with features.

Overally gaazkam I applaud you for this post. Excellent stuff! There you go guys, OBJECTIVE REASONS that you all should be aware of, especially the dmg calc formula...
  15. Siggu

Siggu

It's always been a damage modifier instead of a Base Power modifier. Same with type chart multipliers. A super-effective 75 BP move is not exactly the same as a neutral 150 BP move.

It is, however, close enough to be used as a reference. I'd keep it in the tooltip (or perhaps make some modifications on it to clarify this case)
  16. Merritt

Merritt

Yeah, I do think there's been a little bit of an overreaction from some of the responses here.

I'd suggest that maybe the best way to approach it is that instead of the way that it's currently shown where the tooltip shows Base Power: [normal BP*1.5] (x1.5 from STAB) it would instead be Base Power: [normal BP] (Damage increased 1.5x by STAB). This would get rid of the potential false information situation while also keeping the information about the move being STAB there.
    Kierany9 and gaazkam like this.
  17. LibertarianMaster

LibertarianMaster

On our way to a casual site...

Good way to make things even less clear and confuse everyone...

Just having a good time since I was the 1st one to voice my objections to this (both in here and previously in the help room on PS!) and I was deemed as bossy and disrespectful. Obviously I was right. Initially I assumed that everybody knows that STAB does not increase BP of a move but... oh well xD. Apparently you have to explain everything , even things that should be commonly known, especially amongst PS! and smogon staff.
  18. Kierany9

Kierany9

Seconding this, although certain abilities like Reckless and Sheer Force have done this for a while now, should the modification be removed for that too?

If you're gonna keep it in, do it like this please.
  19. gaazkam

gaazkam

Ugh I believe in calse of SHeer Force and Reckless the tooltips are correct.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Reckless_(Ability)

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sheer_Force_(Ability)

When we were talking about this in the Help room many people were asking what STAB is...
  20. LibertarianMaster

LibertarianMaster

Yet another reason to drop this silly "STAB increases base power". Aside from reckless and sheer force, we can add technician to that list. These abilities actually increases power of certain moves.

I meant auths, not every PS! user. Although I discussed with one today and he said that some global staff don't actually play pokemon. But still at least one should know how STAB actually works lol.
    Kierany9 likes this.
  21. gaazkam

gaazkam

Yet another reason why these tooltips should be fixed: From the Help chatroom:

They really are misleading, and in many ways beyond the simple inaccuracy of calculating damage. How bad can this be?
    Snaquaza, Kierany9, BPGXMG and 2 others like this.
  22. Yoshizilla315

Yoshizilla315

The tooltip is very useful, but in many ways needs to be repaired. It's only confusing because it just came out, so, realistically, I think we should give it some time.
    DrPumpkinz likes this.
  23. Teremiare

Teremiare ^_^

The BP modifier (in the tooltip) for STAB and Weather is being removed, and probably shouldn't have been added to begin with. No need to comment any more on it.
  24. PQD

PQD

An indicator which shows to ppl that we are on mobile, a thing like "on mobile" under the username after clicking on it in the userlist.
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017 at 4:26 PM
  25. Tiksi

Tiksi I send my scourge, I send my sword!

How would this be helpful? If you were forced to type slowly because you were on mobile, you could always just say so.
    Silver_Lucario42 and Lionyx like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)