Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Banned]

Yes it can, it has great power even if it can't flinch you to death, something garg cannot do, besides set up with body press, which is way more explotable
"Great power" Skymin's Seed Flare is as powerful on the special side as Zamazenta's Close Combat is on the physical side. Both have 120 in their respective offense, Skymin even has less speed than Zamazenta, nowhere near as bulky. Seed Flare also has a miss chance, CC does not.

Is Zamazenta banned for being too powerful? Or did people realize Zamazenta is actually pretty weak?

If Garganacl were common, Covert Cloak would come back. He's still one of the best stall breakers in the game. And those teams just so happen to be the types of teams that benefit the most from using Covert Cloak to counter Garg.
I lied because turd refuses to see reason. Covert Cloak would not come back if Garg were "common" (tiered as OU btw) because we learned how to play against garg and how to abuse its passive presence with special attackers.

Except Skymin can't bullshit through any team using Covert Cloak. Can't bullshit through offensive teams using Booster Energy & priority either.
Subseed. Are you insane?

"Great power" Skymin's Seed Flare is as powerful on the special side as Zamazenta's Close Combat is on the physical side. Both have 120 in their respective offense, Skymin even has less speed than Zamazenta, nowhere near as bulky. Seed Flare also has a miss chance, CC does not.

Is Zamazenta banned for being too powerful? Or did people realize Zamazenta is actually pretty weak?
Untitled618_20231223191623.png

for someone who claims to not want skymin in the meta, you sure are typing a lot of words to the contrary, dr. cloak

Notably: the only sap sipper that is remotely usable in OU is Hisuian-Goodra, who is extremely exploitable because of its passivity and weak damage or reliance on curse to do things. I guess you could do sap sipper trapper azumarill but like, why would you do that, that still probably doesn't beat skymin.

"Great power" Skymin's Seed Flare is as powerful on the special side as Zamazenta's Close Combat is on the physical side. 120 offense, even has less speed than Zamazenta, nowhere near as bulky.
Which is a top mon that doesn't have a chance to flinch or drop your sp.defense by 2 stages. Plus, 127 speed is still blazing fast. Again, forcing an item onto a lot of mons is signs of something being broken. Garg was potentially broken and was realised to be much more managable with sub or, if you want to believe this, pushed it down in power from new additions. Plus, skymin can switch into tusk on both stabs so it can come in on one of the best mons in the tier.

Edit: These mons are slower than zam, but faster than skymin.
1703377242049.png

You trying to say it's slower than the amazing mon of jolteon is grounds for its drop?

Which is a top mon that doesn't have a chance to flinch or drop your sp.defense by 2 stages. Plus, 127 speed is still blazing fast. Again, forcing an item onto a lot of mons is signs of something being broken. Garg was potentially broken and was realised to be much more managable with sub or, if you want to believe this, pushed it down in power from new additions. Plus, skymin can switch into tusk on both stabs so it can come in on one of the best mons in the tier.
I'm going to drop it because we're just going in circles here. Quick recap:

I said Covert Cloak is a hard counter to Skymin.
You said "no he's too powerful, too"
I showed you that he's actually weaker than Zamazenta, another uber that we allowed in the tier
You said "no he can flinch people to death"

...that's what Covert Cloak counters. The flinches. He is only uber because of the flinches, but Covert Cloak is a hard counter.

I'm going to drop it because you guys seem to care more about arguing than actually making a point. Wish you the best.

I showed you that he's actually weaker than Zamazenta, another uber that we allowed in the tier

...that's what Covert Cloak counters. The flinches. He is only uber because of the flinches, but Covert Cloak is a hard counter.

I'm going to drop it because you guys seem to care more about arguing than actually making a point. Wish you the best.
Again, I will stop talking about after this but,
IF AN ITEM IS NEEDED ON A LOT OF MONS TO COUNTER ONE MON, THAT IS SIGN THAT IT IS BROKEN!!!!
You can't just ignore it, that is the textbook definition of broken, just because quagsire beat zacian crowned in gen 8 didn't mean it wasn't broken.

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

IMG_2083.jpeg

Did Covert Cloak exist at the time of this vote? Or is Covert Cloak a new item that was added with gen 9?

Again, I will stop talking about after this but,
IF AN ITEM IS NEEDED ON A LOT OF MONS TO COUNTER ONE MON, THAT IS SIGN THAT IT IS BROKEN!!!!
You can't just ignore it, that is the textbook definition of broken, just because quagsire beat zacian crowned in gen 8 didn't mean it wasn't broken.
We just went through a page and a half of me explaining to you that Garganacl inspired Covert Cloak on all defensive teams for a solid 4 months and did not get banned. There is precedent here. And the precedent is that inspiring people to use Covert Cloak does not make you banworthy.

sub seed air slash earth power hits everything in the meta for at minimum 6% (leech takes 12% lefties heals 6%). If literally everything runs covert cloak (which is fucking insane btw that's indicitive of a massive problem) that's 12% minimum on something with base 127 speed and a fantastic offensive typing with a decent defensive profile. Zamazenta has a pretty good offensive typing, is strong and fast, but notably, loses to scarfed special attackers, BE Special Attackers, and loses to most ghost types if they click CC while choiced. Also just gets FUCKED UP by burn. You are either the single best angler on this thread in which case you deserve a badge or you are so dumb it hurts. If you can't see that forcing everything that isn't scarf or BE to run covert cloak is a problem, then there's no saving you.

We just went through a page and a half of me explaining to you that Garganacl inspired Covert Cloak on all defensive teams for a solid 4 months and did not get banned. There is precedent here. And the precedent is that inspiring people to use Covert Cloak does not make you banworthy.
This isn't the own you think it is. Garganacl made defensive teams use Covert Cloak for 4 months because it was new and people didn't know how to deal with it yet. Notably, defensive teams, rare as they are, don't run covert cloak much anymore. I would argue that Garg WAS banworthy for for a bit in early SV! But it didn't get banned and then when hisuian forms started dropping it became entirely reasonable, even if salt cure is still one of the most obscene moves of all time.

Did Covert Cloak exist at the time of this vote? Or is Covert Cloak a new item that was added with gen 9?

And it was considered banworthy the time. You said it yourself that garg fell off due to power creep, which although I don't agree with the fact that it was due to power creep. So again, your only example was considered banworthy, what other mons that you need cloak for are OU legal? None, because garg has fallen off and skymin is powerful without rng, it's something on top that makes it broken.

no. you no longer get the privilege of "dropping it". you've already ignored multiple requests to drop the topic, including two by mods, and kept digging your heels in against the veritable mountain of evidence lobbied against your argument. i'm going to assume you're not a liar and you're against skymin being in the tier like you said you were, so you've been playing devil's advocate this whole time, which means you are in fact the one who cares more about arguing than making a point. you gave up your right to bow out gracefully about three pages ago, and you gave up your right to ever live this down when you quoted my post with the reasoning cut out and pretended i didn't provide any. apologies for sounding harsh but my tolerance for this kind of nonsense has long since run out

Last edited:

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Imagine being a mon so uncompetitive that nobody wants it in the tier.

Lets not forget the fact that Shaymin-Sky also has 120 SpA 127 Sped with access to Earth Power. About that Covert Cloak Ghold.

252 SpA Shaymin-Sky Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gholdengo: 202-238 (53.4 - 62.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

What do you even run Cloak on? Skarm? It gets Knock’d almost every game and BP does nothing back to Shaymin-Sky. Glowking? Wanna get worn down by spikes? We also have the Terastilized elephant in the room that lets Shaymin more immediately break through its checks. I don’t fucking care if Zamazenta is “technically just as strong” we are not letting in an RNG fighter jet into the tier who’s only counter is Covert Cloak.

We know its you Shaymin-Sky, the jig is up.
IMG_2082.jpeg

I think people arguing for Skymin to drop because of Cloak fail to realize you don’t need Cloak to beat Garg/Salt Cure, and you need it for Skymin.
Fittingly, I think the comparison is similar to Hazards vs Evasion.
With Hazards, you need some form of removal, or you can just “deal with it”. Dealing with Stealth Rock being up has been ”reliable counterplay” since Gen 4 because the impact of Stealth Rock, while massive, isn’t so busted that you need to prevent them at all costs. It’s also not a cheesy luck based strategy where you farm free turns through misses of regular moves. You can use options like Aerial Ace or Haze, but it’s not really can and more like have to. Likewise you have to use options like Shield Dust, Inner Focus, or Cloak for any sort of defensive countering of Shaymin.

but enough malarkey, let's talk about a grass type that's actually legal here. Do you all prefer banded or scarfed meowscarada? It getting triple axel was huge, but I also have a hard time deciding if I should run knock or sucker punch on it. Just share what sets you have been running, it's super good rn. Also, what silly shitmons have you all been using or wanting to use? Toucannon got hurricane now and I'm so tempted to run a special sheer force set on it now

but enough malarkey, let's talk about a grass type that's actually legal here. Do you all prefer banded or scarfed meowscarada? It getting triple axel was huge, but I also have a hard time deciding if I should run knock or sucker punch on it. Just share what sets you have been running, it's super good rn. Also, what silly shitmons have you all been using or wanting to use? Toucannon got hurricane now and I'm so tempted to run a special sheer force set on it now
As much as I dislike using choice scarf, I can't deny its the better pick for meow. It needs it to outspeed Darkrai, Deoxsys-S, Weavile and Boulder once booster is burnt, while also maintaining the speed advantage against other scarfers/booster mons/Ddanceers like Roaring Moon, Iron Valiant, Some Cinderace and Iron moth variants, etc

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
I have no clue why shaymin-s or lugia are even discussed in here for potential drops.

shaymin-s would flinch everything to death, it would force covert cloak on everything and warp the meta around it itself.

as far as lugia goes, hazards + knock off support with a whirlwind + psychic noise set for lugia will crush everything, it’s a phazer that won’t die, can’t be phazed by anything else but other lugias because of it’s speed stat, hell u can even run calm mind and psychic noise with no coverage, no dark type is gonna kill it anyway with tera available.

finch put up a great amount of pokemon to discuss in the meta, I would love to see some discussion on that instead of looking through a plethora posts of irrelevant calcs and theorymoning.

please let me lurk in peace

Last edited:
i haven't run meowscarada yet because i've been using weavile for that role instead, but if i did, i'd probably go for band. sure, scarf lets it outspeed a lot of crucial things, but i just don't think its power without band is worth running it over those very same things. but overall i'd rather run weavile and not have to worry about using band or scarf, and just carry something else in the back for bulky waters and stuff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 12, Guests: 33)