Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Banned]

I was running a 4 drag sun team and was having problems getting outspeed and Vs other weather match ups. I swapped venasuar for iron boulder and a lot of those problems eased up

boulders just so fast and so immediately powerful

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Day 2 thoughts:
  • :Deoxys-Speed: is the closest thing to broken in my eyes and I am paying very close attention to it. Not saying it will be up for a ban or on a radar as we are not at that stage yet, but it stands out to me. This is not due to the utility like prior generations either. People have been using NP 3A and even 4A sets to a great degree of success though. It has some customizability to pick its own counterplay and works really well on some cheesy styles like PsySpam and screens/veil. I do not know if I would call for a ban yet though as so much is changing each day (and it has only been two), but worth keeping an eye on.
  • :Torkoal: :Pelipper: Weather got better with the Terapagos ban and the general uptick in abusers. Kingdra is a nice addition to Rain and classic adds like Greninja tend to have fewer switchins now. The main thorn in the side of Rain is cores with Toxapex + another wall that has a Tera Water (or Water resistant type) that can stifle progress big time. Sun is probably the better of the two and offers more plus match-ups as it has greater breaking prowess, but it also has a few very hard match-ups and needs to compress defensive roles carefully of course. Neither style feels broken or in need of any tiering action, but definitely a cool trend.
  • :Kyurem: :Volcarona: :Roaring Moon: Three Pokemon returning from Ubers that can pull off similar shenanigans, but with slightly heigthened counterplay. I can see any of these being problems long-haul, but I am absolutely not sold on any of them being broken right now. In fact, I think that we are still seeing their set mixes, especially for Kyurem and Volcarona, develop and the teams they work on settle. I think these are Pokemon to carefully watch basically, but not yet things I have big concerns about.
  • :Darkrai: This Pokemon is surprisingly...mid...it is like plenty viable sure, but it is not broken or even close, in my opinion. Very glad we dropped it to OU!
  • :Zamazenta: :Dragapult: They still run the tier and function as awesome pieces of speed control with great overall presences. No surprise to see the two goats continue their runs.
  • :Serperior: This one is very annoying for sure, but not broken and just requires us to be mindful in teambuilding.
  • :Skarmory: Skarm is super good right now. One of the best returning additions to the tier. It is great are role compression. Functions nicely with :Ting Lu: and Regenerator Poison types as a balanced backbone!

252+ Atk Expert Belt Technician Kricketune Pounce vs. 0 HP / 8 Def Deoxys-Speed: 262-312 (108.7 - 129.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

*ahem*

Krickecrop.jpg

I'll bring Kricketune back again, it got even better.

Are there any good set-up for Electivire, Magmortar and Metagross?
Generally, I've found that Metagross likes to play more defensive roles with items like Assault Vest to maximize its total bulk. It naturally hits like a truck as well, let alone with full investment. Electivire seems to be the main setup sweeper out of the three, with a double sweeper set of Bulk Up + Trailblaze with Supercell Slam and a coverage move (usually Ice Punch). Here's a set I've been tooling around with that's more Utility Attacker

:electivire:
Electivire @ Expert Belt
Ability: Motor Drive
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Supercell Slam
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off
- Trailblaze​

Magmortar got Knock Off as well, so Magmortar generally likes to run a nuclear offensive utility set as well - just with more of a focus on outright blowing through opposing cores as opposed to Electivire being a little more reserved.

252+ Atk Expert Belt Technician Kricketune Pounce vs. 0 HP / 8 Def Deoxys-Speed: 262-312 (108.7 - 129.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

*ahem*

View attachment 581209

I'll bring Kricketune back again, it got even better.

Generally, I've found that Metagross likes to play more defensive roles with items like Assault Vest to maximize its total bulk. It naturally hits like a truck as well, let alone with full investment. Electivire seems to be the main setup sweeper out of the three, with a double sweeper set of Bulk Up + Trailblaze with Supercell Slam and a coverage move (usually Ice Punch). Here's a set I've been tooling around with that's more Utility Attacker

:electivire:
Electivire @ Expert Belt
Ability: Motor Drive
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Supercell Slam
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off
- Trailblaze​

Magmortar got Knock Off as well, so Magmortar generally likes to run a nuclear offensive utility set as well - just with more of a focus on outright blowing through opposing cores as opposed to Electivire being a little more reserved.
Ok, what's your version setup for Magmortar and Metagross?

But yeah, Maushold’s stronger normal STAB probably makes it preferable to Cinccino.
well, to be honest, i think trying to compete directly with maushold as a setup sweeper is not what cinccino should be doing. sure, technician + loaded dice is strong, but maushold can just kinda do it better, even though cinccino's faster and has way better and stronger coverage. but if we focus on the other things cinccino gets that maushold doesn't, we see a different path open to us. consider this: cinccino gets knock off and thunder wave, two excellent utility moves that maushold lacks, in addition to the already insanely good utility that tidy up provides. while doing this, you can still run skill link to launch an appreciably strong 125-power stab tail slap, and skill link lets you put boots on it instead of dice. there's a damage trade-off, sure, but the utility it can provide is incredible and that's a role maushold can't do

on the other hand, +1 technician loaded dice is still really damn strong and way more straightforward so it'll probably remain the popular set
Functions nicely with :Ting Lu: and Regenerator Poison types as a balanced backbone!
hmm… a flying-type that serves as a blanket check to a lot of physical attackers and pairs well with ting-lu and glowking, you say…
IMG_5877.jpeg

KamenOH

formerly DynamaxBestMeta
Day 2 thoughts:
  • :Deoxys-Speed: is the closest thing to broken in my eyes and I am paying very close attention to it. Not saying it will be up for a ban or on a radar as we are not at that stage yet, but it stands out to me. This is not due to the utility like prior generations either. People have been using NP 3A and even 4A sets to a great degree of success though. It has some customizability to pick its own counterplay and works really well on some cheesy styles like PsySpam and screens/veil. I do not know if I would call for a ban yet though as so much is changing each day (and it has only been two), but worth keeping an eye on.
  • :Torkoal: :Pelipper: Weather got better with the Terapagos ban and the general uptick in abusers. Kingdra is a nice addition to Rain and classic adds like Greninja tend to have fewer switchins now. The main thorn in the side of Rain is cores with Toxapex + another wall that has a Tera Water (or Water resistant type) that can stifle progress big time. Sun is probably the better of the two and offers more plus match-ups as it has greater breaking prowess, but it also has a few very hard match-ups and needs to compress defensive roles carefully of course. Neither style feels broken or in need of any tiering action, but definitely a cool trend.
  • :Kyurem: :Volcarona: :Roaring Moon: Three Pokemon returning from Ubers that can pull off similar shenanigans, but with slightly heigthened counterplay. I can see any of these being problems long-haul, but I am absolutely not sold on any of them being broken right now. In fact, I think that we are still seeing their set mixes, especially for Kyurem and Volcarona, develop and the teams they work on settle. I think these are Pokemon to carefully watch basically, but not yet things I have big concerns about.
  • :Darkrai: This Pokemon is surprisingly...mid...it is like plenty viable sure, but it is not broken or even close, in my opinion. Very glad we dropped it to OU!
  • :Zamazenta: :Dragapult: They still run the tier and function as awesome pieces of speed control with great overall presences. No surprise to see the two goats continue their runs.
  • :Serperior: This one is very annoying for sure, but not broken and just requires us to be mindful in teambuilding.
  • :Skarmory: Skarm is super good right now. One of the best returning additions to the tier. It is great are role compression. Functions nicely with :Ting Lu: and Regenerator Poison types as a balanced backbone!
Are you saying that we finally have a balanced metagame, and it took a single turtle to achieve it?

FUCK YES

Has anyone been messing w Contrary - Tera Stellar? If so, what are your thoughts on the combination?

I honestly think Enamorous is gonna be pretty crazy with it. Since it already has a really good base SAtk, and a base 106 Spd is definitely not bad. Could be even better if it just runs Scarf and plays the cleanup game. Wouldn't even be revenged since Tera Blast Stellar is always super effective on tera mons. I don't think it's gonna be ban worthy, but definitely cements it's usage in the OU tier even more imo.

Serperior imo, won't be as great in the OU tier, but when it eventually drops. I could see it having staple in one of the lower tiers. RU, or UU. I've been messing with Serp in the OU tier. And I feel as if it doesn't have the overall coverage to warrant running the combo. I feel it 100% needs another tera typing to give it coverage against another type. It only have a base 75 SAtk means it has to rely on getting the boost from Leaf Storm. While Enamorous basically threathens something on entry. I do feel like Serperior w Tera Stellar could work, but I think coverage is probably better. Could work in the lower tiers maybe.

Are you saying that we finally have a balanced metagame, and it took a single turtle to achieve it?

FUCK YES
my brother in christ it's been 48 hours. nobody could possibly know whether it's actually balanced or not yet. we shouldn't be going full throttle on the banwagon like we did in dlc1 (by necessity), but we also shouldn't be going around trumpeting "huzzah, huzzah, the meta is balanced" when i've had colds that have lasted longer than this meta has been playable. making this judgement right now is like airing the "dewey defeats truman" headline during the hoover administration. it's like hitting it off on a first date and immediately starting a college tuition fund for your future kids. it's like making a plan for the year at the beginning of 2020. what i'm trying to get at is, it's way too soon to be saying this

Last edited:
Has anyone been messing w Contrary - Tera Stellar? If so, what are your thoughts on the combination?

I honestly think Enamorous is gonna be pretty crazy with it. Since it already has a really good base SAtk, and a base 106 Spd is definitely not bad. Could be even better if it just runs Scarf and plays the cleanup game. Wouldn't even be revenged since Tera Blast Stellar is always super effective on tera mons. I don't think it's gonna be ban worthy, but definitely cements it's usage in the OU tier even more imo.

Serperior imo, won't be as great in the OU tier, but when it eventually drops. I could see it having staple in one of the lower tiers. RU, or UU. I've been messing with Serp in the OU tier. And I feel as if it doesn't have the overall coverage to warrant running the combo. I feel it 100% needs another tera typing to give it coverage against another type. It only have a base 75 SAtk means it has to rely on getting the boost from Leaf Storm. While Enamorous basically threathens something on entry. I do feel like Serperior w Tera Stellar could work, but I think coverage is probably better. Could work in the lower tiers maybe.
I'm not personally finding Stellar Enamorous (with Scarf) to be that good yet. Sure I get to revenge kill the Tera threat, but then I get revenged by a faster booster mon lol. Iron Boulder that proceeds to sword dance.

• :Kyurem: :Volcarona: :Roaring Moon: Three Pokemon returning from Ubers that can pull off similar shenanigans, but with slightly heigthened counterplay. I can see any of these being problems long-haul, but I am absolutely not sold on any of them being broken right now.
interesting take. i was honestly thinking serp was standing out as one of the highest priority mons for future tiering action, after deoxys-speed and roaring-moon. tera blast ground sets are incredibly good, and glare basically guarantees progress & also introduces an annoying luck-based aspect. a lot of the natural counterplay to volcarona like spdef skeledirge, heatran, gouging-fire, blissey and clod can somewhat reliably check volcarona but are more prone to glarehax/being chipped into range for serperior. i also feel like kyurem just does not seem broken in a meta that's dominated by HO, and will only really start to seem restrictive once more people start to build balance again. if you don't mind me asking, what makes you think it's lower down the list than kyurem and volcarona? am i overlooking any viable counterplay besides the aforementioned unaware mons, blissey, and bulky 4x grass resists?

Anyone else find it kind of messed up how Darkrai is only good in OU because it literally can't use its Signature move or Ability?
I played once against someone who paired it with Yawn Glowking. It's pretty dire.

Yeah after enough time playing around, I was super wrong about Darkrai being busted. Granted, that assumption was kinda contingent on Deo-S not coming down and being able to do its job due to OU's lower overall bulk, but I like that a lot of new additions like Archaludon can stand up against it and there's options to deal with it. I think if Deo-S ends up getting banned in the future and people have more time to get creative with Darkrai's moveset, it's going to jump up in viability, but right now it's kinda just pretty good.

Side note, Archaludon has got to be my favorite thing in this metagame right now. It's a super versatile thing with that statline, good enough coverage, and Body Press, and it's the most interesting thing to happen to rain teams since Politoed got Drizzle. This archetype I normally associate with alternating between Wave Crash spam and switching between defensive pivots now has something brand new it can do.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
also feel like kyurem just does not seem broken in a meta that's dominated by HO, and will only really start to seem restrictive once more people start to build balance again
HO may be the most common right now based on sheer ladder usage and new toy applications, but imo balance is great and the most consistent archetype right now.
what makes you think it's lower down the list than kyurem and volcarona?
The list isn’t in order; it was a stream of thoughts really. Deo-Speed came first because it was top of mind, but I mentioned some pretty random Pokemon like Darkrai in the middle and so on. I haven’t tried Tera Ground on Serp — I’ll give it a whirl, but I do find myself being able to out pressure it with offense and survive its assault with balance so far. Maybe I’m preparing too specifically and it’s restrictive though. I think the tier has a lot of evolutions coming anyway, but as always I’m keeping an open mind and we will see what’s next.

Is there a good set-up for contrary serperior for single battle?
Edit: I think I found a setup for Serperior

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
Shiny: No
Tera Type: Stellar
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe or 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe or 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Glare
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Tera Blast

Last edited:
A little disappointed Stellar wasn't as batshit insane as everyone thought it was gonna be. I remember the theories going around, if it was gonna make you every type at once, if it made everything weak to your attacks, etc. What we got was like Zamazenta instead of Zacian. Cool concept, kinda doodoo fard.

also would running a team of the paradox Beasts and paradox Swords be a good idea?

A little disappointed Stellar wasn't as batshit insane as everyone thought it was gonna be. I remember the theories going around, if it was gonna make you every type at once, if it made everything weak to your attacks, etc. What we got was like Zamazenta instead of Zacian. Cool concept, kinda doodoo fard.

also would running a team of the paradox Beasts and paradox Swords be a good idea?
All of the beasts and swords on one team is a bit much. However, I think you could definitely fit all of Gouging Fire, Walking Wake, and Raging Bolt into one sun team.

Ahhh. The sweet taste of victory that comes with OU FINALLY realizing Serperior is Gimmick Garbage. About damn time. Y'all really thought Stellar Type was gonna make it an all-star. How unfortunate.
This is funny bc Serperior is still very good (arguably one of the top 5 mons rn) without Tera Stellar lmao. No one truly thought it would be broken with Stellar, it was always gonna be more consistent with Leaf Storm and Tera Ground

To avoid a one-liner, here's a team I've been using since DLC came out. Not sure what to change to improve on it though, I didn't wanna post a full RMT just yet as I haven't had the chance :)

One thing I wanna figure out is the best set for Hydrapple, it feels good but I'm not sure if Tera Fairy is the right Tera for it considering it still retains a Poison weakness

Last edited:
Ahhh. The sweet taste of victory that comes with OU FINALLY realizing Serperior is Gimmick Garbage. About damn time. Y'all really thought Stellar Type was gonna make it an all-star. How unfortunate.
ah yes the mon considered top I in viability right now is “gimmick garbage”.

Don’t know why you came in so confident when the viability list and general player experience contradicts you

Do you think that deoxys defence has any chances of staying in OU?
It does have the niche of being the only non-frail teleport user, but unfortunately it has competition there with glowking.

I think it is going to drop.

Even though golurg hasn't received any good buffs it is still a fun pokemon to use.
Switching to this thing can be tricky thanks to its great coverage.
I can even troll people by not using choice band on this thing. One moment they think that their blissey can safely switch on poltergeist the other moment it gets OHKO by dynamic punch.
It can somewhat use the new stellar type.

I hope that they will fix the missing models on the new pokemon soon.
It is annoying not being able to see the new pokemon.

Darkrai is the Porygon of Competitive Pokemon. Unfairly persecuted by the actions of a completely separate mon (Smeargle/Pikachu), and forced to forever suffer because of it.
I think Dark Void was nerfed because Darkrai terrorized VGC, where they don't have Sleep Clause or a mechanism to ban non-box-legendaries.