Taking a look at the different Pokémon... generations? (Title Pending)

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
1670271336640.png

Normally when most people think of the word "generation" in the context of Pokémon, they think of the different regions, each of the new batches of Pokémon, all that cool stuff. However, I'm not most people. I like to view video games as a whole within the broader historical context of hardware generations instead. For our favorite pocket monster collecting game franchise, this decision actually carries some significance. Video game hardware can be organized into their own generations much like how we Pokémon fans organize our own games, but for many years now we've seen that multiple Pokémon generations can be supported within the same video game hardware generation, depending on what systems the games are produced for.

I thought this could make for an interesting discussion thread looking at any of the various patterns we the fans have noticed within each of these generational categories of games. It's easy enough for me to ask questions like "Which one of these eras was your favorite?", and while I definitely am still curious about that, I feel like I owe it to the forum rules to not make an entire thread off of simple prompts that could be discussed elsewhere at any time. Instead, I want to try and focus this discussion on any of the more "interesting" questions any of us came come up. I already have a few ideas, but I'd like to hear yours as well.

Before we begin, I'd like to ask the question. What purpose does me making this thread serve? What benefit, so to speak, comes from this existing and not just taking up space in OI? Well, you may have noticed that, since the Nintendo Switch is considered an "eighth generation" hybrid console, there isn't anything listed in the Ninth Generation tier of this chart just yet. This is where you guys and the OI moderation team comes in: depending on what kinds of discussion are and aren't allowed, I think it could be fun to look at what we know from Pokémon's past history to... not necessarily speculate, but I guess "anticipate" what we could see in the future? Unfortunately I can't seem to think of a good word for this, but so long as we (including me, I can't state this enough) can all follow the rules here, I don't see this thread causing any problems.

I get that some people might have their own opinions on using Wikipedia as a "reliable source" or whatever, but this is one of the better sources I could find for anyone who wants to know more about video game history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles

I think that covers everything, so as usual, happy posting!

Hello,

I'm a bit surprised.
First, I don't understand why do you start at 4th generation ?
Then, I understand your analysis but don't use a common word like generation. The word "Generation" is linked to what we called Gen 1 (RBY) ... Gen 9 (SV) etc. Why don't use Era Gameboy ... Era Switch ?

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
Hello,

I'm a bit surprised.
First, I don't understand why do you start at 4th generation ?
Then, I understand your analysis but don't use a common word like generation. The word "Generation" is linked to what we called Gen 1 (RBY) ... Gen 9 (SV) etc. Why don't use Era Gameboy ... Era Switch ?
Video game consoles and handhelds are able to be sorted into their own styles of "generations" based on the time they came out in, the consoles it competed against in the market, technological capability, et cetera. The original Game Boy, released in 1989 in Japan, is considered a fourth generation system along with devices such as the Super Nintendo Entertainment System and the Sega Genesis. The gaming market as a whole has been using this terminology for much longer than Pokémon has, and is most likely where the Pokémon fanbase would have come up with using the same word for it. In the chart I made, Pokémon games are listed by hardware generation as opposed to the generation of Pokémon as a franchise.

One thing I want to mention that relates to your comment but may also help other people out: the Nintendo 3DS (as a handheld) and Nintendo Switch (as a hybrid console) are both considered part of the eighth generation of video game hardware alongside the Nintendo Wii U. This is presumably because of the Wii U's market failure prompting Nintendo to release the Wii U's successor earlier than they may have wanted to. This is purely speculatory, however, as another reason could have been so the Switch could try and compete with higher-end models of Sony's PlayStation 4 and Microsoft's Xbox One that had released less than a year beforehand.

Hope this helps :D

I tend to mentally group Pokémon games on the same console together. For example, the DS had a lot of spinoffs, the 3DS is where Game Freak started putting in flashy gimmicks and the lore got really weird, the Switch was the end of the National PokéDex... note that Gens 3 and 5 have spinoffs on the next generation console; most of the DS Gen 3 spinoffs got sequels, so make of that what you will.

In fact, I compartmentalise a lot of video game franchises based on console generations, but that might be going off-topic.

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
I tend to mentally group Pokémon games on the same console together. For example, the DS had a lot of spinoffs, the 3DS is where Game Freak started putting in flashy gimmicks and the lore got really weird, the Switch was the end of the National PokéDex... note that Gens 3 and 5 have spinoffs on the next generation console; most of the DS Gen 3 spinoffs got sequels, so make of that what you will.

In fact, I compartmentalise a lot of video game franchises based on console generations, but that might be going off-topic.
I do this a lot too, and this is also partially why I created this thread. Certain spin-off series like Ranger, PokéPark, and especially the different sets of Mystery Dungeon games immediately come to mind also. Aside from the examples you mentioned, I’d like to cite the physical-special split as well, as something that was never seen prior to the DS/Wii generation outside of when Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness’s Shadow moves used a similar mechanic (Shadow Rush, the only one in Colloseum, was always physical regardless of the changes).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)