UU Talonflame

Aka Big Linda

[OVERVIEW]

* Talonflame's fantastic base 126 Speed allows it to be a very effective revenge killer, outpacing every relevant threat in UU except Crobat and Aerodactyl. This allows it to pick off many fast, frail threats including Raikou, Starmie, and Gengar.
* Talonflame can abuse Supersonic Skystrike Gale Wings if hazards are off of the field, giving it a one-time 190-Base Power priority move.
* Despite the Gale Wings nerf, Talonflame can still use its priority Flying-type moves effectively thanks to the the type's effective neutral coverage when combined with Fire.
* Access to Swords Dance allows Talonflame to be an effective early game breaker.
* Stealth Rock heavily cripples Talonflame, as in addition to having a 4x weakness to the hazard, it also prevents Talonflame from getting priority from Gale Wings.
* In addition to its weakness to Stealth Rock, Talonflame's main attacking moves also have recoil, making it very easy to wear down. Combined with its poor bulk and numerous weaknesses, this makes it rather easy to take down.
* Its poor Attack leaves it struggling to take out many foes in one hit without some prior damage or a boost.

[Set]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Brave Bird
move 3: Flare Blitz
move 4: Taunt / Roost
item: Flyinium Z
ability: Gale Wings
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Brave Bird becomes a 190-Base Power move with no drawbacks when powered up into a Z Move and has priority when Talonflame is at full health. Even Talonflame uses its Flyinium Z, Brave Bird serves as Talonflame's main move thanks to Flying's excellent neutral coverage.
* Flare Blitz is Talonflame's other STAB move and can heavily dent the Steel and Electric types that resist Brave Bird, most notably Raikou.
* Swords Dance allows Talonflame to boost its Attack, allowing it to do more damage.
* Taunt completely shuts down Hippowdon that lack Stone Edge and Clefable, making them setup fodder. It also prevents walls like Mantine, Slowbro, and Gliscor from recovering health after taking a hit.
* Roost allows Talonflame to heal on a predicted switch, allowing it to recover from recoil and potentially get access to Gale Wings again.

Set Details
=========
* Gale Wings gives Talonflame priority when it is at full health and allows it to do massive damage to Mega Aerodactyl with Supersonic Skystrike before it can strike back.
* Maximum Speed EVs and a Jolly Nature allow Talonflame to move before most of the tier.
* Maximum Attack EVs allow Talonflame to do as much damage as possible.
* Flyinium Z gives Talonflame a one-time 190-Base Power attack that carries no drawbacks.
* An Adamant nature is a possible option to let Talonflame hit harder, but it allows dangerous threats like Raikou and Starmie to hit Talonflame first.

Usage Tips
========

* Talonflame is a very effective early game wallbreaker, so using it to weaken the opposing team with boosted attacks is a great way to help the team out.
* Talonflame can also function as a very effective revenge killer, as its excellent Speed tier and access to priority allow it to finish off many fast Pokemon including Keldeo, Gengar, and Infernape.
* Talonflame can force switches against Flying-weak Pokemon such as Amoongus and Celebi to grab a Swords Dance boost.
* Despite its weakness to Stealth Rock, Talonflame's decent defensive typing allows it to switch into attacks from Clefable and Scizor, meaning that despite its poor bulk, Talonflame can still find opportunities to switch in if Stealth Rock is not up.

Team Options
========

* Entry hazard setters allow Talonflame to have an easier time breaking through the opposing team, so hazard setters such as Klefki, Cobalion, Clefable, and Krookodile are recommended.
* Hazard removal can help Talonflame have more setup opportunities. Starmie provides Rapid Spin, deals with the bulky Ground- and Rock-types that normally deal with Talonflame, and can even deal with bulky Water-Types if using Thunderbolt. Latias appreciates Talonflame's ability to deal with Scizor and Clefable, and it even provides Healing Wish to give Talonflame another chance to use Gale Wings.
* Keldeo deals with Rock- and Ground-types, and can deal with Mega Aerodactyl if it has a Choice Scarf, and baits in bulky Grass-types like Amoonguss, which Talonflame takes advantage of.
* Volt-Turn is a great, as it allows Talonflame to come in much more easily. Raikou takes care of bulky Water-types and provides Volt Switch. Choice Band Scizor can provide U-turn support and also deals with Mega Aerodactyl, making it a good partner.
* Mega Aerodactyl, while having almost no defensive synergy with Talonflame, can form an effective Flying-Type spam core with Talonflame, cleaning up after Talonflame wears down Aerodactyl's checks like Gliscor, Suicune, and Hippowdon.
* Sweepers that appreciate having the opponent's walls weakened pair well with Talonflame. Mega Sharpedo, Bisharp, and Scizor appreciate having Talonflame weaken the opponent's walls for them to break through and sweep.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Choice Band allows Talonflame to use its moves effectively without setup, but it can't take advantage of Supersonic Skystrike, and it is easier to be outplayed thanks to being locked into one move.
* Acrobatics allows Talonflame to keep its health full, but the power drop is very noticeable compared to Brave Bird. Natural Gift can also be used alongside it to lure in some of Talonflame's checks, but most of them don't like taking a boosted Brave Bird anyways.
* a specially defensive with Taunt, Swords Dance or Bulk Up, and Roost is also an option, as it allows Talonflame to use its decent defensive typing and recovery to be a pest for bulkier teams to deal with.
* Tailwind is an option to give the team a temporary Speed boost, but most of the time, Talonflame is better off using something else.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Stealth Rock**: Stealth Rock not only removes half of Talonflame's health, but it also gets rid of Gale Wings, taking away Talonflame's priority.

**Mega Aerodactyl**: While it doesn't like to take a Supersonic Skystrike, Mega Aerodactyl resists both of Talonflame's STAB moves and can either knock it out with Stone Edge or even Pursuit trap it if Talonflame is weakened enough.

**Priority**: Zygarde, Crawdaunt, and Lucario can pick off Talonflame with priority once Gale Wings is no longer active, especially since Talonflame is easily worn down enough to be put into KO range.

**Faster Pokemon**: Once Talonflame has taken any damage, it loses priority and becomes vulnerable to many common Choice Scarf users, such as Keldeo, Hydreigon, and Krookodile, which can often take it out with even a little prior damage thanks to Talonflame's bad bulk. Any Pokémon that naturally outspeed it, such as Aerodactyl and Crobat, are also dangerous for Talonflame, as they can take it out after Gale Wings is gone.

**Bulky Water-typess**: Even though most bulky Water-typess don't want to take a move from +2 Talonflame, many Water-types, including Slowbro, Suicune, and Empoleon, can survive a hit and either cripple or knock out Talonflame.

Last edited:
Intro: Elaborate that Talonflame's speed lets it outspeed every Pokemon used in UU besides Mega Aerodactyl, Crobat, and Choice Scarfers, making it a very god revenge killer for difficult stuff like Alakazam.

Moves: I would actually put Taunt / Roost in the fourth moveslot. Taunt lets it completely shut down two of the most common balance staples, Hippowdon and Clefable (no one's running Stone Edge Hippo at this point, I think...) and set up all over them. Taunt also makes it so that stuff like Slowbro, Mantine, and Gliscor can't recover after tanking a Supersonic Skystrike. Roost definitely has its merits, like avoiding Sucker Punch from Bisharp and recovering on a select few things, but Taunt works much better on HO where Talonflame truly shines. Add Raikou as a target of Flare Blitz.

Set Details: Add a description of Gale Wings. Mention specifically that Gale Wings + Skystrike is great for doing huge damage to Mega Aerodactyl before it can take you out.

Usage Tips: Talonflame should almost exclusively be used early game before the opponent has the chance to setup rocks, in fact I sent it out second after Azelf like 90% of the time when I used it (basically unless they led Aero). Say that Talonflame should almost exclusively be used on HO teams as an early-game breaker and possibly as a revenge killer, and anything less will detract from its switchin/setup opportunities. Use Taunt + SD to set up on something like Gliscor which can't do much to you without Facade, or Flying-weaks like you mentioned.

Team Options: Looks really good. Remove "Hazard removal is essential" and maybe put something like "Hazard removal can help Talonflame find more setup opportunities", since like I said, Talonflame should ideally be sent out before rocks are even said (my team didn't have any hazard control lol). Mention specific things that Aerodactyl likes weakened/gone: Hippowdon, Suicune, Gliscor. I'd also remove the Defog Scizor part (again, only HO brings out Talonflame's best qualities), though you can put CB Scizor for U-turn support.

Other Options: Specially defensive with Taunt, Swords Dance/Bulk Up, Roost. Don't know if this is effective now, probably not enough for a full set but deserves to be there.

C&C: Priority from stuff like Zygarde, Crawdaunt, and Lucario can take Talonflame down once Gale Wings is deactivated.

Post when you're done implementing these and I'll give it a last quick lookover before my check. Good work!

Intro: Elaborate that Talonflame's speed lets it outspeed every Pokemon used in UU besides Mega Aerodactyl, Crobat, and Choice Scarfers, making it a very god revenge killer for difficult stuff like Alakazam.

Moves: I would actually put Taunt / Roost in the fourth moveslot. Taunt lets it completely shut down two of the most common balance staples, Hippowdon and Clefable (no one's running Stone Edge Hippo at this point, I think...) and set up all over them. Taunt also makes it so that stuff like Slowbro, Mantine, and Gliscor can't recover after tanking a Supersonic Skystrike. Roost definitely has its merits, like avoiding Sucker Punch from Bisharp and recovering on a select few things, but Taunt works much better on HO where Talonflame truly shines. Add Raikou as a target of Flare Blitz.

Set Details: Add a description of Gale Wings. Mention specifically that Gale Wings + Skystrike is great for doing huge damage to Mega Aerodactyl before it can take you out.

Usage Tips: Talonflame should almost exclusively be used early game before the opponent has the chance to setup rocks, in fact I sent it out second after Azelf like 90% of the time when I used it (basically unless they led Aero). Say that Talonflame should almost exclusively be used on HO teams as an early-game breaker and possibly as a revenge killer, and anything less will detract from its switchin/setup opportunities. Use Taunt + SD to set up on something like Gliscor which can't do much to you without Facade, or Flying-weaks like you mentioned.

Team Options: Looks really good. Remove "Hazard removal is essential" and maybe put something like "Hazard removal can help Talonflame find more setup opportunities", since like I said, Talonflame should ideally be sent out before rocks are even said (my team didn't have any hazard control lol). Mention specific things that Aerodactyl likes weakened/gone: Hippowdon, Suicune, Gliscor. I'd also remove the Defog Scizor part (again, only HO brings out Talonflame's best qualities), though you can put CB Scizor for U-turn support.

Other Options: Specially defensive with Taunt, Swords Dance/Bulk Up, Roost. Don't know if this is effective now, probably not enough for a full set but deserves to be there.

C&C: Priority from stuff like Zygarde, Crawdaunt, and Lucario can take Talonflame down once Gale Wings is deactivated.

Post when you're done implementing these and I'll give it a last quick lookover before my check. Good work!
Thanks for the comments. I've implemented the changes you suggested, please let me know if there is anything else you would like me to add or change.

I would give Natural Gift + Acrobatics a mention in the Other options. You can lure some of it's water type checks with a Grasstype Natural Gift

Mention Latias in Hazard Removal, since it appreciates Talonflame's ability to deal with Zor and Clefable while also providing it with Healing Wish support.

* Acrobatics allows Talonflame to keep its health full, but the power drop is very noticeable compared to Brave Bird, and it can't use Supersonic Skystrike. Natural Gift can also be used also

Fix that up since you added Natural Gift twice lool

Looks nice otherwise. QC 2/3

Mention Latias in Hazard Removal, since it appreciates Talonflame's ability to deal with Zor and Clefable while also providing it with Healing Wish support.

* Acrobatics allows Talonflame to keep its health full, but the power drop is very noticeable compared to Brave Bird, and it can't use Supersonic Skystrike. Natural Gift can also be used also

Fix that up since you added Natural Gift twice lool

Looks nice otherwise. QC 2/3

Added the changes you mentioned. Let me know if there's anything else you would like me to do.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
**Mega Aerodactyl**: While it doesn't like to take a Supersonic Skystrike, Aerodactyl resists both of Talonflame's STAB moves and can either kill it with Stone Edge, or even Pursuit trap it if Talonflame is weakened enough.

**Bulky Waters**: Even though most bulky waters don't want to take a +2 Supersonic Skystrike, many can survive a non boosted hit and either cripple or kill Talonflame
not qc but, Pokemon are knocked out, not killed

Eyan

sleep is the cousin of death
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For the overview, I'd shift the points about to make the part about it being a revenge killer to be first, as well as adding how due to its access to SD it can be an early-game breaker based on what you've written afterwards.

In moves, regarding the point about Taunt, "completely shuts down Hippowdon" isn't exactly right. You mentioned it being used against Hippowdon without Stone Edge in usage tips, so it makes sense to say the same in moves or that it has to be wary of Stone Edge.

For usage tips, restructure the first and last points imo. The first point should talk about it being an early-game breaker, while the second point talks about it being a revenge killer. Give examples of stuff it helps break/weaken, stuff it can revenge kill, and Flying-weak Pokemon it forces out, allowing you to set up SD. Talonflame actually has a decent defensive typing aside from the weakness to Stealth Rock, so you could mention that if Stealth Rock isn't up, it can switch into stuff like Clefable, Scizor, etc.

Give examples for the last 2 points in your checks and counters section.

Apologies for the wait; overall, well-written analysis. QC 3/3

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
For the overview, I'd shift the points about to make the part about it being a revenge killer to be first, as well as adding how due to its access to SD it can be an early-game breaker based on what you've written afterwards.

In moves, regarding the point about Taunt, "completely shuts down Hippowdon" isn't exactly right. You mentioned it being used against Hippowdon without Stone Edge in usage tips, so it makes sense to say the same in moves or that it has to be wary of Stone Edge.

For usage tips, restructure the first and last points imo. The first point should talk about it being an early-game breaker, while the second point talks about it being a revenge killer. Give examples of stuff it helps break/weaken, stuff it can revenge kill, and Flying-weak Pokemon it forces out, allowing you to set up SD. Talonflame actually has a decent defensive typing aside from the weakness to Stealth Rock, so you could mention that if Stealth Rock isn't up, it can switch into stuff like Clefable, Scizor, etc.

Adding a bit onto this; The set's named Swords Dance so that should be move 1 and the first thing mentioned in the Moves section. Adding entry hazard setters to Team Options is probably a good idea considering how much Talon appreciates the support. I'd also probably add Stealth Rock in C&C considering it halves Talon's longevity. Tailwind in Other Options should probably get a mention considering how it has some decent utility.

I implemented what you suggested, thank you for the input.

Adding a bit onto this; The set's named Swords Dance so that should be move 1 and the first thing mentioned in the Moves section. Adding entry hazard setters to Team Options is probably a good idea considering how much Talon appreciates the support. I'd also probably add Stealth Rock in C&C considering it halves Talon's longevity. Tailwind in Other Options should probably get a mention considering how it has some decent utility.
I added everything you suggested, they all sounded like good additions to me, so unless someone from QC disagrees with the changes, I'll keep them in. Thanks for the comments.

Unless someone from qc has anything to add, this is ready for GP

Last edited:

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
[OVERVIEW]

* Talonflame's fantastic base 126 Speed allows Talonflame it to be a very effective revenge killer, outpacing every relevant threat in UU except Crobat and Aerodactyl. This allows it to pick off many fast, frail threats including Raikou, Starmie, and Gengar.
* Talonflame can abuse Supersonic Skystrike with Gale Wings if entry hazards are clear with Supersonic Skystrike off of the field, giving Talonflame it a one-time (AH) 190-Base (AH) Power priority move.
* Despite the Gale Wings nerf, Talonflame can still use its priority Flying-type (AH) moves effectively, (RC) thanks to the the type's effective neutral coverage when combined with Fire.
* Access to Swords Dance allows Talonflame to be an effective early-game (AH) wallbreaker.
* Stealth Rock heavily cripples Talonflame, as in addition to having a 4x weakness to the hazard, it also prevents it Talonflame from getting priority from Gale Wings.
* In addition to its weakness to Stealth Rock, its Talonflame's main attacking moves also have recoil, making Talonflame it very easy to wear down. Combined with its poor bulk and numerous weaknesses, this makes it rather easy to take down.
* Its poor Attack leaves it hard struggling to take out many things foes in one hit without some prior damage or a boost.

[SET]
name:
Swords Dance

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Brave Bird becomes a 190-Base (AH) Power move with no drawbacks when powered up into a Z-Move (AH), (RC) and has priority when Talonflame is at full health. Even after it has been powered up Talonflame uses its Flyinium Z, it Brave Bird serves as Talonflame's main move thanks to Flying's excellent neutral coverage.
* Flare Blitz is Talonflame's other STAB move, (RC) and can heavily dent the Steel- (AH) and Electric-types (AH) that resist Brave Bird, most notably Raikou.
* Swords Dance allows Talonflame to boost its Attack, allowing it to do much more damage.
* Taunt completely shuts down Hippowdon lacking that lack Stealth Rock and Clefable, making them set(remove space)up fodder. It also prevents walls like Mantine, Slowbro, and Gliscor from recovering off damage health after taking a hit.
* Roost allows Talonflame to heal on a predicted switch, allowing it to recover from recoil and potentially get access to Gale Wings again.

Set Details
=========
* (add space) Gale Wings gives Talonflame priority when it is at full health, (RC) and allows Talonflame it to do massive damage to Mega Aerodactyl with Supersonic Skystrike before it can strike back.
* Maximum Speed EVs and a Jolly Nature allow Talonflame to move before most of the tier.
* Maximum Attack EVs allows Talonflame to do as much damage as possible.
* Flyinium Z gives Talonflame a one-time (AH) 190-Base (AH) Power attack that carries no drawbacks.
* An Adamant nature is a possible option to let Talonflame hit harder, but it allows dangerous threats like Raikou and Starmie to hit Talonflame first.

Usage Tips
========

* Talonflame is a very effective early-game (AH) wallbreaker, so using it to weaken the opposing team with boosted attacks is a great way for Talonflame to help the team out.
* Talonflame can also function as a very effective revenge killer, as its excellent Speed tier and access to priority allow it to finish off many fast Pokemon including Keldeo, Gengar, and Infernape. (AP)
* Talonflame can force switches against Flying-weak (AH) Pokemon such as Amoongus and Celebi to grab a Swords Dance boost.
* Despite its weakness to Stealth Rock, Talonflame's decent defensive typing allows it to switch into attacks from Clefable and Scizor, meaning that despite its poor bulk, Talonflame can still find opportunities to switch in if Stealth Rock is not up. (AP)
(remove blank line)
(remove blank line)

Team Options
========

* Entry hazard setters allow Talonflame to have an easier time breaking through the opposing team, so hazard setters such as Klefki, Cobalion, Clefable, and Krookodile are recommended.
* Hazard removal can help Talonflame have more setup opportunities. Starmie not only provides Rapid Spin, but also deals with the bulky Ground- (AH) and Rock-types (AH) that normally deal with Talonflame, and can even deal with bulky waters Water-types if using it has Thunderbolt. Latias appreciates Talonflame's ability to deal with Scizor and Clefable, and it even provides Healing Wish to give Talonflame another chance to use Gale Wings.
* Keldeo not only deals with Rock- (AH) and Ground-types (AH), and can even deal with Mega Aerodactyl if it has a Choice Scarf, it also and baits in bulky Grass-types (AH) like Amoonguss, which Talonflame takes advantage of.
* VoltTurn (RH) support is a great option, as it allows Talonflame to come in much more easily. Raikou takes care of bulky waters, (RC) Water-types and provides Volt Switch. Choice Band Scizor can provide U-turn support, (RC) and also deals with Mega Aerodactyl, making it a good partner.
* Mega Aerodactyl, while having almost no defensive synergy with Talonflame, can form an effective bird Flying-type spam core with Talonflame, cleaning up after Talonflame wears down Aerodactyl's checks like Gliscor, Suicune, and Hippowdon.
* Sweepers that appreciate having the opponent's walls weakened in general pair well with Talonflame. Mega Sharpedo, Bisharp, and Scizor appreciate having Talonflame weaken the opponent's walls for them to break through and sweep.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Choice Band allows Talonflame to use its moves effectively without setup, but it can't abuse take advantage of Supersonic Skystrike, and it is easier to be taken advantage of thanks outplayed due to being locked into one move.
* Acrobatics allows Talonflame to keep its health full, but the power drop is very noticeable compared to Brave Bird, and it can't use Supersonic Skystrike. (yes it can, it just gets a much weaker acrobatics if holding flyinium z and a weaker supersonic skystrike) Natural Gift can also be used alongside it to lure in some of Talonflame's checks, but most of its checks them don't like taking a boosted Brave Bird anyways.
* A specially defensive set with Taunt, either Swords Dance/ or Bulk Up, and Roost is also an option, as it allows Talonflame to use its decent defensive typing and recovery to be a pest for bulkier teams to deal with.
* Tailwind is an option to give the team a temporary team Speed boost, but most of the time, (AC) Talonflame is better off using something else.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Stealth Rock**: Stealth Rock not only removes half of Talonflame's health, but it also gets rid of Gale Wings, taking away Talonflame's priority.

**Mega Aerodactyl**: While it doesn't like to take a Supersonic Skystrike, Mega Aerodactyl resists both of Talonflame's STAB moves and can either knock it out with Stone Edge, (RC) or even Pursuit trap it if Talonflame is weakened enough.

**Priority**: Zygarde, Crawdaunt, and Lucario can pick off Talonflame with priority once Gale Wings is no longer active, especially since Talonflame is easily worn down enough to be put into ko KO range.

**Faster Pokemon**: Once Talonflame has taken any damage, it loses priority and becomes vulnerable to many common Choice Scarf users, such as Keldeo, Hydreigon, and Krookodile, who which can often take it out with even a little prior damage thanks to Talonflame's bad bulk. Any Pokemon that naturally outspeeds outspeed it, such as Aerodactyl and Crobat, are also dangerous for Talonflame, as they can take it out after Gale Wings is gone.

**Bulky Waters Water-types**: Even though most bulky waters Water-types don't want to take a move from a +2 attack Talonflame, many Water-types (AH), including Slowbro, Suicune, and Empoleon, can survive a hit and either cripple or knock out Talonflame. (AP)
GP 1/1

[OVERVIEW]

* Talonflame's fantastic base 126 Speed allows Talonflame it to be a very effective revenge killer, outpacing every relevant threat in UU except Crobat and Aerodactyl. This allows it to pick off many fast, frail threats including Raikou, Starmie, and Gengar.
* Talonflame can abuse Supersonic Skystrike with Gale Wings if entry hazards are clear with Supersonic Skystrike off of the field, giving Talonflame it a one-time (AH) 190-Base (AH) Power priority move.
* Despite the Gale Wings nerf, Talonflame can still use its priority Flying-type (AH) moves effectively, (RC) thanks to the the type's effective neutral coverage when combined with Fire.
* Access to Swords Dance allows Talonflame to be an effective early-game (AH) wallbreaker.
* Stealth Rock heavily cripples Talonflame, as in addition to having a 4x weakness to the hazard, it also prevents it Talonflame from getting priority from Gale Wings.
* In addition to its weakness to Stealth Rock, its Talonflame's main attacking moves also have recoil, making Talonflame it very easy to wear down. Combined with its poor bulk and numerous weaknesses, this makes it rather easy to take down.
* Its poor Attack leaves it hard struggling to take out many things foes in one hit without some prior damage or a boost.

[SET]
name:
Swords Dance

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Brave Bird becomes a 190-Base (AH) Power move with no drawbacks when powered up into a Z-Move (AH), (RC) and has priority when Talonflame is at full health. Even after it has been powered up Talonflame uses its Flyinium Z, it Brave Bird serves as Talonflame's main move thanks to Flying's excellent neutral coverage.
* Flare Blitz is Talonflame's other STAB move, (RC) and can heavily dent the Steel- (AH) and Electric-types (AH) that resist Brave Bird, most notably Raikou.
* Swords Dance allows Talonflame to boost its Attack, allowing it to do much more damage.
* Taunt completely shuts down Hippowdon lacking that lack Stealth Rock and Clefable, making them set(remove space)up fodder. It also prevents walls like Mantine, Slowbro, and Gliscor from recovering off damage health after taking a hit.

Set Details
=========
* (add space) Gale Wings gives Talonflame priority when it is at full health, (RC) and allows Talonflame it to do massive damage to Mega Aerodactyl with Supersonic Skystrike before it can strike back.
* Maximum Attack EVs allows Talonflame to do as much damage as possible.
* Flyinium Z gives Talonflame a one-time (AH) 190-Base (AH) Power attack that carries no drawbacks.

Usage Tips
========

* Talonflame is a very effective early-game (AH) wallbreaker, so using it to weaken the opposing team with boosted attacks is a great way for Talonflame to help the team out.
* Talonflame can also function as a very effective revenge killer, as its excellent Speed tier and access to priority allow it to finish off many fast Pokemon including Keldeo, Gengar, and Infernape. (AP)
* Talonflame can force switches against Flying-weak (AH) Pokemon such as Amoongus and Celebi to grab a Swords Dance boost.
* Despite its weakness to Stealth Rock, Talonflame's decent defensive typing allows it to switch into attacks from Clefable and Scizor, meaning that despite its poor bulk, Talonflame can still find opportunities to switch in if Stealth Rock is not up. (AP)
(remove blank line)
(remove blank line)

Team Options
========

* Hazard removal can help Talonflame have more setup opportunities. Starmie not only provides Rapid Spin, but also deals with the bulky Ground- (AH) and Rock-types (AH) that normally deal with Talonflame, and can even deal with bulky waters Water-types if using it has Thunderbolt. Latias appreciates Talonflame's ability to deal with Scizor and Clefable, and it even provides Healing Wish to give Talonflame another chance to use Gale Wings.
* Keldeo not only deals with Rock- (AH) and Ground-types (AH), and can even deal with Mega Aerodactyl if it has a Choice Scarf, it also and baits in bulky Grass-types (AH) like Amoonguss, which Talonflame takes advantage of.
* VoltTurn (RH) support is a great option, as it allows Talonflame to come in much more easily. Raikou takes care of bulky waters, (RC) Water-types and provides Volt Switch. Choice Band Scizor can provide U-turn support, (RC) and also deals with Mega Aerodactyl, making it a good partner.
* Mega Aerodactyl, while having almost no defensive synergy with Talonflame, can form an effective bird Flying-type spam core with Talonflame, cleaning up after Talonflame wears down Aerodactyl's checks like Gliscor, Suicune, and Hippowdon.
* Sweepers that appreciate having the opponent's walls weakened in general pair well with Talonflame. Mega Sharpedo, Bisharp, and Scizor appreciate having Talonflame weaken the opponent's walls for them to break through and sweep.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Choice Band allows Talonflame to use its moves effectively without setup, but it can't abuse take advantage of Supersonic Skystrike, and it is easier to be taken advantage of thanks outplayed due to being locked into one move.
* Acrobatics allows Talonflame to keep its health full, but the power drop is very noticeable compared to Brave Bird, and it can't use Supersonic Skystrike. (yes it can, it just gets a much weaker acrobatics if holding flyinium z and a weaker supersonic skystrike) Natural Gift can also be used alongside it to lure in some of Talonflame's checks, but most of its checks them don't like taking a boosted Brave Bird anyways.
* A specially defensive set with Taunt, either Swords Dance/ or Bulk Up, and Roost is also an option, as it allows Talonflame to use its decent defensive typing and recovery to be a pest for bulkier teams to deal with.
* Tailwind is an option to give the team a temporary team Speed boost, but most of the time, (AC) Talonflame is better off using something else.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Mega Aerodactyl**: While it doesn't like to take a Supersonic Skystrike, Mega Aerodactyl resists both of Talonflame's STAB moves and can either knock it out with Stone Edge, (RC) or even Pursuit trap it if Talonflame is weakened enough.

**Priority**: Zygarde, Crawdaunt, and Lucario can pick off Talonflame with priority once Gale Wings is no longer active, especially since Talonflame is easily worn down enough to be put into ko KO range.

**Faster Pokemon**: Once Talonflame has taken any damage, it loses priority and becomes vulnerable to many common Choice Scarf users, such as Keldeo, Hydreigon, and Krookodile, who which can often take it out with even a little prior damage thanks to Talonflame's bad bulk. Any Pokemon that naturally outspeeds outspeed it, such as Aerodactyl and Crobat, are also dangerous for Talonflame, as they can take it out after Gale Wings is gone.

**Bulky Waters Water-types**: Even though most bulky waters Water-types don't want to take a move from a +2 attack Talonflame, many Water-types (AH), including Slowbro, Suicune, and Empoleon, can survive a hit and either cripple or knock out Talonflame. (AP)
GP 1/1
Done, unless someone else has something to correct or change, this analysis is finished :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)