Other Team Archive by CTC (ORAS Update) Read Post #517

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been wanting to see a team built around this dude, I think its got a lot of potential to do some work but I'm pretty stumped on where to start when teambuildin

rectum rabbit (Azumarill) @ Leftovers
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 6 Def
Careful Nature
- Whirlpool
- Knock Off
- Protect
- Perish Song

Basically using perish trap is spreading aids everywhere but fuck it I still wanna try it out. This specific Azu set benefits its team by effectively luring, trapping, and eventually killing easy switch-ins to Azumarill such as Ferrothorn, opening the gates of hell to strong mons like megagard or megados to cause some pain. Whirlpool is the mvp on this set, trapping the opponent for a guaranteed full perish song, as long as Azumarill can tank the hits. Protect helps with that, blocking any damage possible while providing some health via lefties. Knock off is pretty filler to provide some additional support when possible. Feel free to customize the EVs and nature to deal with specific targets, I just kinda put filler EVs as I cba right now to calc to beat specific shit. Might even want to consider running Play Rough over Knock Off if it'll help support the team in the long run. As I said before I'm not entirely sure where to start with this guy, I'm thinking DD megados as the next member would be a fun time buuuuuut ill leave it up to you
Why not just go Thick Fat> Huge Power on that set? Lets Azumaril take stuff like Flare Blitz from Zard X, and Huge Power only has use with Knock Off [:

CTC can you make a team around this core?

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Bisharp @ King's Rock
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Psycho Cut

Felt this core does work

Why not just go Thick Fat> Huge Power on that set? Lets Azumaril take stuff like Flare Blitz from Zard X, and Huge Power only has use with Knock Off [:
252+ Atk Charizard Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 96-114 (23.7 - 28.2%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

Azu takes a zardx FB as well as other fire/ice moves just fine imo especially with specific incestments, to the point where a strong knock off/play rough would be more utility in my eyes. Thick fat is still an option tho and I just forgot to mention in my post, so if CTC wants to go for it then aight

252+ Atk Charizard Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 96-114 (23.7 - 28.2%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

Azu takes a zardx FB as well as other fire/ice moves just fine imo especially with specific incestments, to the point where a strong knock off/play rough would be more utility in my eyes. Thick fat is still an option tho and I just forgot to mention in my post, so if CTC wants to go for it then aight
Got the wrong calc there mate, you used charizard not zard x. Here's the real calc:
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 173-204 (42.8 - 50.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO

Got the wrong calc there mate, you used charizard not zard x. Here's the real calc:
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 173-204 (42.8 - 50.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO
LOL i can't read

thick fat is probs the way to go but gonna leave it up to ctc

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
CTC can you make a team around this core?

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Bisharp @ King's Rock
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Psycho Cut

Felt this core does work
Why does Bisharp have a King's Rock when it's not that fast?
Why does it have Psycho Cut when it hits nothing?
Why did you put the last 4 EVs into HP when it gives it an even HP number?

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ever sinc the meta shift after the aegis and Mawile bans, I've been theorymonning like crazy. Idk if this is standard or just complete ass, but here's the core:

Heracross @Heracronite
Adamant Nature
Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Close Combat
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance
- Pin missle

Rotom- Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 48 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder Wave
- Will o Wisp

Landorus Therian @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
Intimidate
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-Turn
- Superpower

I've made like one team with these guys that did have some success, but I was hoping to see if it could be improved on. Hera is the best of the three wallbreaker megas rn, but his biggest problem is bird spam. To rectify this somewhat, I added Rotom w and scarfed Lando which both check it very well while still providing momentum. I've always found double status Rotom interesting, cuz I feel like pain split is jus too situational for my tastes, and chesto rest isn't always optimal. I like being able to twave things that Heracross can beat when he outspeeds them, and burns are still as useful as ever.

This core was also built with shitting on sand offense in mind, cuz Hera shits on TTar, while Lando and Rotom handle Exca very well. Superpower is on him for the OHKO on TTar and megados that have taken prior damage, as well as balloon Exca.

As good as I think it may be, it could just be complete ass since my team building skills are pretty shit. Hoping for a little help =]

O and Karxrida Psycho hits keld on the switch. It's situational ofc, but it can be used over pursuit if keld is a real ass pain

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
CTC (or any good teambuilder) when you're done building a team what do you check for e.g, do I have an azu check, a thundurus check etc.
as broad as it may sound (not speaking for ctc) i look at how my team matches up vs all the big threats, usually by scanning through the upper rankings in the viability rankings thread and thinking 'how can i deal with this', and if i can't making adjustments. you can't usually fix all your problems in the theorymon stage, though, testing is a very big part of it because you often find weaknesses to things in practice that you didn't think of initially.

as broad as it may sound (not speaking for ctc) i look at how my team matches up vs all the big threats, usually by scanning through the upper rankings in the viability rankings thread and thinking 'how can i deal with this', and if i can't making adjustments. you can't usually fix all your problems in the theorymon stage, though, testing is a very big part of it because you often find weaknesses to things in practice that you didn't think of initially.
I often find that I do this multiple times throughout the team building process. Seeing as most of my teams are stall, it's only logical that I check that multiple times (seeing as my goal is to counter as much of the meta as possible); however, it's not specific to stall building.

MagikaripIsOP Another thing I look for in post-production is "did I stack too many roles into one slot"--or--"do I place too much pressure on a slot?" An example of this would be trying to compress a Landorus check/counter, a Defogger, and a SR setter all in one slot (can be done with Mega Aerodactyl, though I highly discourage it A. because it's a terrible set, and B.it pressures you to keep Dactyl alive so much more). If you place too much pressure on one slot, it gives your opponent a giant target to aim at--once it's removed, they have a significantly easier time blowing through your team. Overstacking roles can also be shown by trying to take too many things on at once. Relying on one thing to check/counter too many threats does the same thing--it paints a giant "X" on the Pokemon you're using; killing that Pokemon will make it significantly easier to take your team apart. All that said, you can often remedy this by simply overlapping a few roles. While this can be a shaky line (you don't want to overlap too much, or else you'll likely find you've opened up unnecessary weaknesses in your team), it takes a lot of pressure off your team and lets you play with less risk involved.

Why do threads like these always turn to shit? Can people please be a bit less "pls build me a fuking team, ty based lord" and a bit more intelligent when making requests. Provide some reasoning for your choice and actually use at least some fucking grammar, it will probably help ctc build your team in the first place and also make you not sound like some retard. Just because ctc writes casually doesnt give everyone a reason to (part of the reason for this was because it was originally in the RMT thread, which is so much more causal). Seriously, show some intelligence in your requests, not some "hey i liek mudkipz, pls buld team arund". Use requests like Rosenfeldius as an example, it still shows "personality", but its not some fuckfest like what I have recently seen of either stupidly unintelligent text, core of completely unviable mons, or some really standard core that there are literally hundreds of decent teams with it.

Hey everyone and CTC. Page 1 says you'd also be willing to help with teambuilding. I don't know if that meant specifically making adjustments to people's teams or teambuilding in general, but I thought I'd try posting here anyway. Members in parentheses are the ones I find pretty lackluster. I tried Heatran>Mamoswine but I didn't really like him. Plus Sash Mamo is pretty handy if a setup sweeper manages to get out of hand. If anyone has any advice, feel free to lend a hand. Also, sorry if this wasn't the appropriate thread for this.

(
)​

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
EVs: 24 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Healing Wish

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Oblivious
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake

I added some thoughts to prevent this from turning into a simple "Fix my team" post ^^"

• The first four members have performed really well, so I'd try to keep them if possible
  • I feel like I use Gardevoir only for Healing Wish. I tried giving Healing Wish to Latias and replacing Gardevoir with Rotom Wash (for Bird Spam which I feel I'm kinda weak to, bar Lando T) but I missed Roost as it allows me to Defog more consistently throughout the game.
  • Maybe Skarmory > Gardevoir would be a good switch but I don't know if Skarm would fit on this kind of team. It would though solve my Pinsir problem and allow me to go Healing Wish > Defog on Latias.

Thank you and keep up the good work.

CTC

Banned deucer.
is a defending SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Why do threads like these always turn to shit? Can people please be a bit less "pls build me a fuking team, ty based lord" and a bit more intelligent when making requests. Provide some reasoning for your choice and actually use at least some fucking grammar, it will probably help ctc build your team in the first place and also make you not sound like some retard. Just because ctc writes casually doesnt give everyone a reason to (part of the reason for this was because it was originally in the RMT thread, which is so much more causal). Seriously, show some intelligence in your requests, not some "hey i liek mudkipz, pls buld team arund". Use requests like Rosenfeldius as an example, it still shows "personality", but its not some fuckfest like what I have recently seen of either stupidly unintelligent text, core of completely unviable mons, or some really standard core that there are literally hundreds of decent teams with it.

Kinda busy atm first week back n all. Will have my laptop by Saturday aka prepare for a haul of ladder teams for olt/smog tour teams soon. Keep tossing in ideas! Ic the meta has changed quite a bit and consolidated after the aegi and maw bans. Psychics r better than ever n mew, slowbro etc r hoppin out of UU to stop other psychic monsters like Cham gard etc. KEEP THE IDEAS COMIN BUT FOLLOW WAT FLAMER SAID THNX

Azelf @ Light Clay
EVs: 240 HP / 44 Def / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Tailwind
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Outrage

Hello CTC, I'd like to see what you can do with this core. The basic premise of this set is to prevent hazards with Azelf and set dual screens, then get into Charizard to either Tailwind or Swords Dance. Or even both, if lucky enough. This core is a core I've been messing around with and have been using to some success, but I'd like to see what you can make of it!

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Ive been trying to build around this core for a while now and have been having moderate success, but i have yet to break through. I feel the core is pretty complete, but atm I am unable to build around it efficiently for reasons i cant iron out. The one request is that my team can efficiently break both stall and offense. The two mons of the core was a core i had ready as soon as the aegi ban came into effect, and soon after it was on the victory road good cores thread. I added a custom Mon i felt really fit the two sweepers' weaknesses.

Gyarados @ Lum berry
ability: Moxie
252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- stone edge / earthquake / coverage (I dont feel moxiedos should use taunt.)

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
Evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice punch

this was the original core edited to my liking; I love moxiedos, as it is really unexpected and very good atm, with Lum it can beat thund. I designed this core to really be sure against things; such as ice punch on ttar for lando-t and stone Edge on gyara beats stuff like kyurem and dragons that gyara is walled by.
Overall this core is left weak to a few select threats:
Quagsire
Slowbro
Ferrothorn

I needed to efficiently beat all 3, so i added gothitelle, I am running an odd specs set.

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow tag
Evs: 248 HP / 252 Satk / 8 Spd
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power Fire
- Trick / Thunderbolt.

Energy Ball beats quag and Slowbro, while hidden Power Fire beats Ferrothorn.

I really cant get the build that really can beat both playstyles atm, so i want to see what you think. I could go more in depth on gyara, but i would just be quoting the descrip of the core on victory road so....

Sorry for bad formatting, no pics, etc, my computers port for the charger broke so its in the store and i had to type this thing up on my phone. There are probably slightly better spreads for the sets i am using but i dont have them atm.
I see that you have tons of requests, so take your time please. And i would rather wait a week and get a really good build than get it earlier and it be not living up to its full potential. Thanks in advance.

Hey I basicly created an account on the Smogon Forums just for this thread because I'm shit at building and I need your help.

One mon I think currently wrecks ass is Mega Pinsir, he's base 105 and ohkos the three big megas going around nowadays (hera cham garde), as well as having a decently powerful quick attack right off the bat to maybe revenge kill, access to feint if you want for Talonflame or rare shit like Chesnaught, is countered by basicly non existent stuff (wk policy rhyperior mdactyl and other irrelevant stuff) and now that mmawile and aegi are gone he's pretty broken, he needs rocks removed and a turn to set up from 85 base speed to 105 though, my initial idea was to fit him into a sand ttar+exca team for the spin and rocks support that helps clutching some KOs as well as exca being fast killing basicly everything that outspeeds pinsir (thundurus greninja talonflame keldeo takes a shitload from eq, also latwins are hardcountered by ttar), if you dont want to go sand Latias would be a great defog partner too, if possible please don't build a birdspam w/ talonflame and mpinsir cuz im sick of that, used it for way too long, also way before deo-s was banned I used to play a pretty amazing team w/ mpinsir mandibuzz chans swampert deo-s magnezone, it looks weird but swampy was amazing for rocks and doing bulky water shit while magnezone was crucial cuz you had to run eq and you had to have a solid counter for ferrothorn and skarm but now you can run close combat so its not as vital, mandibuzz with all the fairies is ass nowadays, basicly stall until you're tired of it then use mpinsir to clean shit and have deo-s as a revengekill backup if you screw up was the strat back then, now it's basicly another metagame so feel free to try out whatever you wish
basicly:
-mpinsir is amazing
-sand/latias/defensive support would be fun shit to use and probably strong as f too
-please no talonflame
if you could do that I'd be so grateful.

if there are any recent mpinsir teams I've missed in this thread feel free to insult me as hard as you wish cuz I'd deserve it, otherwise, thank you so much for even answering this

Hey CTC, this is a core I made a while back and have had relative success with and found really fun to use.

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Tailwind

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock / Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Defog
- Healing Wish

Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch

The sets are pretty self explanatory for the most part. T-Punch on Medi is for Slowbro mainly, which is normally one of the few counters to it but is actually 2HKO'd. Plus Azu and Gyara, even the Bulky DD variant after Intimidate, get OHKO'd. Fake Out is effective but I'm not a fan of it.

The basis of the core is that the main defensive checks to Talonflame right now (Rotom-W, Heatran, Tyranitar) all get OHKO'd by HJK from Medi. Adamant Band Talon is a monster when it's checks are gone, and it also offers free switches for Medi with correct predictions using U-Turn, which is something Medi loves since it's frail and has shit defensive typing, so it rarely gets free switches.

Latias acts somewhat as a glue to the core. If I'm running Sand Offense (not sure if I should say "offense" since I opt to run Hippo over TTar since it's a solid answer to Thundy, which annoys the core) I don't use Defog on it since I'd have Exca to spin, but if I'm not then it's obviously a necessity for Talon. Healing Wish is great for this core because HJK misses can be game changing, plus Talon practically kills itself with it's STABs. Healing Wish makes me bring back either to full health, as well as give them a free switch, so they can do damage again.

Tailwind on Talon is probably my favorite part of the core since M-Medi is normally so easy to revenge because of its lack of resistances, poor bulk, and mainly its middling speed. But with Tailwind support Medi is at +2 speed for a few turns (obviously I only Tailwind when I'm sacking Talon) and can easily pick off weakened teams almost unopposed late game. It's also why I opt run T-Punch over Fake Out.

The issue I've had with core though is that Talon and Medi require so much support my teams end up more balanced and passive rather than geared towards offense since I have only three slots to account for a lot of threats, not that I mind but I'm not sure if it's just my style of teambuilding, so I was wondering if you could try to do something with it.

Not sure if the mons are too standard for you to want to build around but I'd appreciate it if you did. Thanks.

Holy Dom . That core is actually part of a squad that ctc has actually already made, not to menton fairly standard. I'll include what I remember here for you but I advise you read the op and other peoples reqs rather than jumping right in.

(Rotom-W) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature (-Atk, +Def)
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-o-wisp
- Pain split / Thunder Wave

(Talonflame) (M) @ Sharp Beak
Trait: Gale Wings
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Atk / 148 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Landorus (Landorus-T) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Spd /252 Atk
Adamant / Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Knock Off / Superpower
- U-turn
- Rock Slide / Stone Edge

(Ferrothorn) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Protect / Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball

Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch

(Latias) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Roost
- Defog
- Draco Meteor

I cant explain the reasons ctc chose these mons to accompany but pretty standard deal. Medi to weaken squad/ force switches, racking up hazard damage for a late game SD Talon Sweep. Scarf Lando deals with many faster mons this team has trouble with, namely Lati Twins, ZardX, Rushdrill and the mega cleaners, while also providing some nice switch initiative w U Turn and helpful utility in Intimidate. Ferro deals with mons like Azu, who fucks this team up otherwise, and is a great glue to the team, switching in to monsters like Megados and TTar, who give this team trouble if Lando is dead. Sd talon can be replaced with Band if you like, however, you lack a concrete wincon otherwise and SD talon > Band imo. HP Fight Latias is just to lure and weaken tran and TTar a bit to give Talon an easier time late game at sweeping. Washtom for obvious burd weakness. Im sure ctc can further explain his choices, this was just what I thought by looking at it and keep in mind these arent his exact sets, I made modifications where I saw fit.

Good luck

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)