LC Teddiursa

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Overview
########

Teddiursa is blessed with a massive offensive movepool and a great ability in Quick Feet, which increases Teddiursa's Speed while it is inflicted with status. Because of Quick Feet, Toxic Orb allows Teddiursa to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame. In addition to great Speed, Teddiursa has a high Attack stat which enables it to hit very hard, especially with Facade. Although Teddiursa reaches an impressive 21 Speed after Toxic Orb's activation, it is still outsped by many Choice Scarf users, and a lack of priority means that it is susceptible to priority attacks itself. Its defenses are mediocre as well; this is further compounded by the fact that Teddiursa's health will be whittled away by Toxic damage. It is also weak to Fighting-type moves and cannot boost its defenses with Eviolite, as it must hold Toxic Orb in order to be effective.

Quick Feet
########
name: Quick Feet
move 1: Facade
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Crunch
move 4: Protect / Swords Dance
ability: Quick Feet
item: Toxic Orb
evs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

Coming off Teddiursa's high Attack, Facade is a powerful STAB move after Teddiursa is poisoned. Close Combat usually 2HKOes Ferroseed and punishes other Steel-types, such as Pawniard and Magnemite. Crunch lets Teddiursa nail Gastly and other Ghost-types while providing excellent coverage with Facade. Protect is for activating Toxic Orb safely and stopping Fake Out. However, if Teddiursa is able to be brought in safely, Swords Dance is a useful alternative, as at +2, Teddiursa is able to muscle past even the bulkiest opponents.

Set Details
========

196 Attack EVs are necessary in order for Teddiursa's attacks to hit as hard as possible, while 196 Speed EVs with a Jolly nature allow Teddiursa to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame at 21 Speed after Toxic Orb's activation. The remaining EVs are placed in HP, Defense, and Special Defense to increase Teddiursa's bulk.

Usage Tips
========

Bring Teddiursa in on a free switch through a revenge kill or from a slow U-turn or Volt Switch. Teddiursa usually cannot afford to take hits when poisoned. Avoid keeping Teddiursa in for too long as Toxic damage will rack up and Teddiursa lacks recovery. Teddiursa functions best as a late-game cleaner after its bulkier opponents have been worn down by entry hazards and residual damage.

Team Options
========

Teddiursa appreciates entry hazard support from Pokemon such as Dwebble, Archen, and Ferroseed. However, Teddiursa also cannot afford to take damage from entry hazards, so an offensive Rapid Spin user such as Staryu or Drilbur makes a good teammate. Knock Off users such as Pawniard, Tirtouga, Mienfoo, and Timburr remove important walls' items so that Teddiursa can break through them more easily. Trubbish checks Fighting-type threats, particularly Timburr, and can lay Spikes quite easily, while a late-game sweeper such as Life Orb Abra can finish off weakened teams or punch holes in things for Teddiursa to finish off. Slow pivots such as Vullaby and Chinchou can provide a safe switch for Teddiursa.

Other Options
########

Teddiursa can run a Belly Drum set, but it's inferior to other Belly Drum users such as Zigzagoon and Magby. Teddiursa has one of the largest physical movepools out there, with access to Earthquake, Rock Slide, Seed Bomb, Gunk Shot, Fire Punch, Ice Punch, and Thunder Punch. These moves can be used situationally to counter defensive threats weak to them.

Checks & Counters
########

**Timburr**: Timburr can come in on Teddiursa after Toxic damage wears it down a little and KO it with Mach Punch.

**Choice Scarf users**: Scraggy, Drilbur and Pawniard are common Choice Scarf users that outspeed Teddiursa and hit it very hard with their STAB moves.

**Priority moves**: Fletchling, Bunnelby, Carvanha, and Timburr can all finish Teddiursa off when it is weakened.

**Physical walls**: Bulky walls, particularly those with recovery such as Spritzee, Vullaby, and Hippopotas, are able to stall for Toxic damage and weaken Teddiursa to a point where it can be finished off. However, they can be overpowered if Teddiursa uses Swords Dance.

Last edited:
Quick Feet is the reason to use Teddiursa, yet you make no mention of it in the overview. Remove mentions of Belly Drum in the overview and mention Quick Feet

I think Protect should be put in the last slot on the Teddiursa as Protect lets Teddi activate his toxic orb for free and Teddi can't afford to take even one hit as Toxic Damage wears it down fast.

make protect the only move in the last slot. gunk shot doesn't hit anything notable and play rough only hits scraggy harder than your other moves out of all fighting types given the power and stab behind facade. protect is worthwhile for getting a free turn to activate your status orb if you couldn't get in through a slow volt-turn or u-turn.

- Bring Teddiursa in mid-game after his bulkier opponents have been worn down by hazards and residual damage
teddiursa should be a late-game cleaner.

Slow pivots like Eviolite Mienfoo and Eviolite Chinchou can give a safe switch for Teddiursa
I don't know what spreads you run on these two, but their standard pivot sets run speed evs and outspeed several dangerous threats teddiursa doesn't like. mention Vullaby and ResTalk Chinchou for pivots instead. a wall breaker such as np missy goes a long way in helping teddiursa clean up, and so does knock off support from pawniard who can lure and knock off fighting-types and kill missy.

looks like it. but change this:
SET NAME
########

to this:
Quick Feet
########

in short, replace "SET NAME" with the name of the set.

make protect the only move in the last slot. gunk shot doesn't hit anything notable
Um...spritzee?
196 Atk Teddiursa Facade (140 BP) vs. 212 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Spritzee: 10-13 (37 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
196 Atk Teddiursa Gunk Shot vs. 212 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Spritzee: 12-16 (44.4 - 59.2%) -- 68.4% chance to 2HKO
I'd say having the ability to 2HKO spritzee is worth it, due to the fact it walls this set to death otherwise.

Um...spritzee?
196 Atk Teddiursa Facade (140 BP) vs. 212 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Spritzee: 10-13 (37 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
196 Atk Teddiursa Gunk Shot vs. 212 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Spritzee: 12-16 (44.4 - 59.2%) -- 68.4% chance to 2HKO
I'd say having the ability to 2HKO spritzee is worth it, due to the fact it walls this set to death otherwise.
If you really want to beat Spritzee use swords dance instead of protect not only does it make teddi incredibly threating it stops recover stall as well no need to bother taking 1 move to beat Spritzee that is the only thing I can see that could possibly take the spot of protect.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I was thinking of Swords Dance, but it's counterintuitive because Teddi needs to switch out every few turns to slow the toxic damage.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Or just use Swords Dance + Flame Orb, which doesn't lower Attack with Quick Feet iirc (try confirming this please!)

Or just use Swords Dance + Flame Orb, which doesn't lower Attack with Quick Feet iirc (try confirming this please!)
no quick feet only eliminates the speed drop from paralysis, not the attack drop from burn, that's guts.

there's always team support anyways. I'm p sure a knocked off spritzee would be 2hkoed by facade, which is a very real scenario considering what spritzee checks.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Some experimentation on the PS! calculator has revealed tht a Burn does not decrease Facade's damage, but does decrease that of the other attacks; this should probably be tested and subsequently mentioned in the analysis.

Um...spritzee?
196 Atk Teddiursa Facade (140 BP) vs. 212 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Spritzee: 10-13 (37 - 48.1%) -- 56.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
And also, I'd say Adamant is an ok choice, but it only hits 19 Speed :[, here's why:
196+ Atk Teddiursa Facade (140 BP) vs. 212 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Spritzee: 12-15 (44.4 - 55.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Here's what matters:
196+ Atk Teddiursa Facade (140 BP) vs. 212 HP / 196+ Def Spritzee: 16-21 (59.2 - 77.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(16, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 21)

Knock Off support guys. Spritzee will get hit by Knock Off if you are a competent player.

edit: I meant to calc with jolly, but it 2hkoes all the same

Last edited:
196 Atk Teddiursa Facade (140 BP) vs. 212 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Spritzee: 10-13 (37 - 48.1%) -- 56.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
And also, I'd say Adamant is an ok choice, but it only hits 19 Speed :[, here's why:
196+ Atk Teddiursa Facade (140 BP) vs. 212 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Spritzee: 12-15 (44.4 - 55.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
I ran the original calcs in Adamant (because that's what I was using when I was messing around with it). Jolly is superior IMO, just so it doesn't hit that speed tie with 19 speed mons like Misdreavus and Murkrow.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
okay, leggo!

overview:
"Too slow to be an effective Belly Drum user; outclassed by other Belly Drum users
Play Rough is currently illegal with Gen 5 tutor moves"

These two points aren't even important enough to be in the overview, they're just kind of random irrelevant points. You wouldn't wanna use play rough even if it was legal.

moves:
protect is useful for fake out users as well

team options:
missy isn't a great suggestion for what you mentioned it for, it can't actually switch into fighting types. However, I guess you could say another sweeper like missy can be used to weaken things before teddy sweeps.
trubbish is a great suggestion for hazards cos it completely walls timburr
things that can help wear down timburr, likeeee tirtouga, scraggy

other options:
SWORDS DANCE... this is it's best OO and should be mentioned that it can be used over protect, but mention that it will more often than not, not manage to get a free turn to set up, unless memento support is used. If anyone has any arguments for Swords Dance actually getting a slash, I wouldn't be opposed to hearing them.

checks and counters:
i suppose just some bulky stuff might be able to survive a hit... haven't ran calcs but i bet vullaby could survive a hit and KO back, maybe just try thinking of a few things like this.
more priority, but timburr's mach punch is the most relevant. mention sucker punch etc... though

this was pretty good tbh =]

1/3

Last edited:
honestly i think swords dance should get a slash because a lot of defensive mons are just going to spam recovery moves against it and with SD Teddi can break them fairly easily. Protect isn't always needed especially if you have voltturn support to get it in safely, though it is useful and should still be the primary slash. In C&C, I don't think Honedge deserves its own section, cuz its pretty irrelevant. Also, you should change the Spritzee section to Physical Walls in general and add things like Hippo, Vullaby and Snubbull which all avoid the 2HKO from it at +0, though with SD they can be overpowered. This is good, QC 2/3

Last edited:

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Overview:
Mention that Teddiursa is slow for an offensive Pokemon before the Quick Feet boost and outsped by common Choice Scarf users after the boost.

Usage Tips:
- Always bring Teddiursa in on a free switch by a slow U-Turn/Volt Switch. Teddi can't afford to be taking hits when poisoned
Try changing this to
- Bring Teddiursa in on a free switch through a revenge-kill or slow U-Turn/Volt Switch. Teddiursa usually cannot afford to take hits when poisoned.

Excellently done
QC 3/3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)