Tentacool Discussion

Overview: Tentacool has a massive Special Defense stat that can be abused with Eviolite, making it better at walling special sweepers (eg, Yanmega, Porygon-Z, etc.) than Munchlax. The problem that i usually run into is that Tentacool can't really do anything back because of it's rather small movepool, so it has it's drawbacks.

Type: Water/Poison
It's typing makes Yanmega's Bug Buzz not very effective, making it that much weaker. With the water typing, Special Entei's can't do much with their STAB.

Ability:
Clear Body:
(Prevents stats from being lowered by other Pokémon.) Could be better, could be worse. Should probably be used over Liquid Ooze unless Tentacool is on a rain team.
Liquid Ooze: (Damages opponents using leeching moves for as much as they would heal.) Meh.
Rain Dish DW: (Heals for 1/16 max HP after each turn during rain.) Should definitely be used if on a rain team, and could be used if otherwise.

HP:
Atk: 40
Def: 35
SpA: 50
SpD: 100
Spe: 70

Movesets:

Supporting Wall

Tentacool @ Eviolite
Clear Body / Rain Dish
Calm
252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
-Rapid Spin
-Toxic Spikes
-Scald
-Haze/Hidden Power Rock/Sludge Wave

Eviolite along with 252 SpD makes Tentacool's Special Defense 448, which can wall a lot of stuff. Onto the moveset, Tentacool doesn't have a lot of good moves, but you only need about 3. You can throw up Toxic Spikes on the switch, or Rapid Spin if your opponent is using Stealth Rock. Scald is there because you'll need a STAB even though it won't hit for much, and Hidden Power is used to hit Yanmega, though with Haze you can shut down Quiver Dancers. Sludge Wave is there in case you need another (Albeit terrible) STAB. With the ability, you should probably use Clear body just because there isn't a lot you can do with Tentacool's abilities. But you could use Rain Dish if you are putting Tentacool on a rain team.

Anyways, try Tentacool out and tell me what you think of it in this thread.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Liquid Ooze + haze lets it block Lilligant. Sclad/HP Rock + Haze for the last two slots. I mean, if you're using scald with tenta you're just fishing for a burn, which means there's probably better stuff you could be doing. It's certainly not useless, but tenta should save its health for countering stuff/spinning/tspiking imo. The large amount of deadly set up sweepers in the tier makes haze really useful imo, and tenta is one of the best users.

How much does hp rock do to yanmega anyways?

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Liquid Ooze + haze lets it block Lilligant. Sclad/HP Rock + Haze for the last two slots. I mean, if you're using scald with tenta you're just fishing for a burn, which means there's probably better stuff you could be doing. It's certainly not useless, but tenta should save its health for countering stuff/spinning/tspiking imo. The large amount of deadly set up sweepers in the tier makes haze really useful imo, and tenta is one of the best users.

It's easily a 2hko with a small investment in SpAtk. Also I do find Scald to be a bit higher end value as well since Tentacool could potentially fall to a surprise physical attack and such, so getting burns off on switch ins can still be a lot of value. Although you're right in that it definitely should be saving its' health for the aforementioned things, its still good to have for obvious reasons.

Using some calc that i haven't seen before, it does 60.06% - 71.57% with the set that i listed. So yes, it's a pretty good 2HKO.

Also, a specs tinted lens Modest Bug Buzz from Yanmega does 41.7% - 49.82%, but no one will really use tinted lens over speed boost. I just used tinted lens to do the maximum amount of damage.

Tentacool is pretty awful, even with that really high special defense it is greatly hindered by it's lack of hp, leftovers and recovery of any kind other then rest. It also has a pitiful physical bulk and NO attacking prowess whatsoever. There are better and more reliable spinners out there, he isn't even that good with laying down toxic spikes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)