OU Terrakion

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell

[OVERVIEW]

* Terrakion's excellent offensive typing, good Attack, useful Speed tier, and access to some key utility moves make it a great Choice Scarf and Stealth Rock user.
* It also can run wallbreaking and sweeping sets, but in general they're not suited well for SM OU.
* This is because Landorus-T usually outclasses it as a sweeper or wallbreaker, and Dugtrio's presence really solidifies this.
* Terrakion faces competition as a Stealth Rock or Choice Scarf user too, but overall it has enough advantages to carve itself a place in these roles.

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Close Combat
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Rock Slide
move 4: Earthquake / Poison Jab
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Justified
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Close Combat is Terrakion's most powerful move with little practical drawbacks. Thanks to its high power Terrakion remains a strong attacker against less-than-defensive teams, even though it lacks any kind of boosting item or move.
* Stone Edge completes the STAB combination and achieves very good neutral coverage.
* Rock Slide, although seemingly redundant with Stone Edge, is worth a moveslot for its accuracy. Many of Terrakion's targets for revenge killing such as Volcarona, Mega Charizard X, Salamence, and Gyarados are weak to Rock-type attacks, and relying on Stone Edge's poor accuracy is too inconsistent. It also has a high flinch chance, which has good synergy with a Choice Scarf.
* Earthquake is good filler to harass potential Magearna, Metagross, and Toxapex switch-ins better than anything else Terrakion has.
* Poison Jab is also an option, letting Terrakion more reliably revenge kill Tapu Koko and Choice Scarf Tapu Lele. It also has a handy poison chance to inflict potential chip damage on defensive switch-ins like Tangrowth.

Set Details
========

* 252 Speed EVs, a Jolly nature, and a Choice Scarf empower Terrakion to act as a very effective revenge killer, outspeeding nearly every sweeper.
* 252 Attack EVs are obligatory for doing as much damage as possible.

Usage Tips
========

* Choice Scarf Terrakion is purely a revenge killer, so it should primarily be used for checking fast threats as necessary. Be conservative of Terrakion if the opponent has specific targets like Volcarona and Salamence.
* However, there are situations where revenge killing may not be necessary, should the opponent's team be very defensive and slow. In this case Terrakion is probably the least important member of your team and can be used for strategic sacrificing, and dangerously switching into predicted resisted hits.
* In general, think about how much you need Terrakion in the match, and play it as carefully or aggressively as this dictates.

Team Options
========

* As is the nature of Choice Scarf Pokemon, it's more of a patch over weaknesses to certain threats, rather than something a team builds around. Pokemon that are very strong, but are otherwise weak to what Terrakion revenge kills effortlessly are going to take advantage of its presence best.
* Top setup sweepers that Terrakion can fairly reliably revenge kill include Volcarona, Salamence, Gyarados, Mega Charizard X, Shift Gear Magearna, Porygon-Z, Celesteela, Dragonite, and Z-Rain Dance Manaphy. When building a team, assess how weak it is to these threats, and use Terrakion to rectify this.

[SET]
name: Stealth Rock
move 1: Stone Edge
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Stealth Rock
move 4: Taunt / Swords Dance
item: Focus Sash
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Stone Edge and Close Combat together form excellent coverage and have great power.
* Setting Stealth Rock is the main purpose of this set, and Terrakion's offensive presence makes it a convincing user of the move.
* Taunt is quite useful for preventing opponents from laying their own Stealth Rock or Defogging against Terrakion.
* Swords Dance is used to make a fool of defensive entry hazard countermeasures like Sableye and Skarmory. Boosting as they switch in will result in their demise. In general Swords Dance makes Terrakion more adept against stall, but less so against more balanced and offensive teams.

Set Details
========

* Focus Sash gives Terrakion a guaranteed turn to lay Stealth Rock. Even without a boosting item one can get past defensive Defog users, so the item makes Terrakion very good against offense and defense alike.
* Maximum Attack, maximum Speed, and a Jolly nature are obligatory on account of Terrakion's all-out offensive nature.

Usage Tips
========

* Calculating how easy it is for the opponent to remove your hazards is key to using this set. Should the opponent have an entry hazard removal user that can quite easily switch into something on your team, it's a poor idea to simply lead with Terrakion and use Stealth Rock in a suicidal fashion. However, if they lack easy hazard removal, this is usually a good idea.
* Obviously don't lead with Terrakion against a team with Mega Sableye; ideally you want to boost while it switches into Terrakion.
* Choice Scarf is by far Terrakion's most used set. You can bluff that set fairly effectively, as long as you have other potential Stealth Rock users on the team.
* Unlike Pokemon like Azelf, Terrakion's Taunt has good surprise factor. Feel free to use it whenever you think the opponent intends to use a non-attacking move; they will almost never predict Taunt and attack.

Team Options
========

* Offensive Stealth Rock users are best suited for offensive teams. Powerful attackers like Metagross, Pheromosa, Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, and Greninja are a good place to start when looking to capitalize on guaranteed entry hazards.
* Late-game sweepers like Salamence, Volcarona, and Trick Room Magearna complement Terrakion well, taking advantage of the excessive chip damage early-game hazards cause.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Wallbreaking Z-Crystal and Choice Band sets hit extremely hard, but the metagame is fairly unkind to them. Other wallbreakers like Landorus-T, Tapu Bulu, and Alolan Marowak have significantly better defensive merits while evading the threat of Dugtrio.
* Double Dance / Rock Polish-based sets are solid, but again Landorus-T can also get past nearly every wall and outrun nearly every revenge killer, while having much better defensive attributes.
* A mixed 4 attacks Life Orb set with Hidden Power Ice to 2HKO Landorus-T is a fun attacker, but there are better choices in the tier. Tapu Lele, Greninja, Metagross, and Tapu Koko are examples.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Physical Walls**: Anything with solid physically defensive attributes and no weakness to Terrakion's attacks, like Hippowdon, Landorus-T, Tangrowth, or Mega Venusaur, can rightfully claim to counter Terrakion. Though this is the case, a Swords Dance-boosted Stone Edge or Close Combat will deal hefty damage to any of these walls before Terrakion faints.

**Dugtrio**: The main reason why Dugtrio is so problematic to Terrakion is that it prevents Terrakion from effectively running wallbreaking sets. While neither of the sets detailed are particularly stifled by Dugtrio, Terrakion can certainly be trapped and KOed by it.

**Revenge Killers**: Terrakion's Speed without a boost is not enough to ever be in a position to outspeed everything. Plenty of attackers in the tier like Greninja, Pheromosa, Mega Metagross, and Alakazam can simply outspeed Terrakion and KO it. There is also no shortage of Pokemon that can absorb a Choice Scarf Terrakion's attack and retaliate with an OHKO. Magearna, Tapu Bulu, and Keldeo are among many examples.

Last edited:

Ash Borer

This is obviously WIP as fuck, I've only used Terrakion's Choice Scarf set in this metagame. Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on what sets deserve a spot. I'm toying with these currently

1) Choice Scarf
2) Stealth Rock Wallbreaker
3) Choice Band
4) Double Dance Z crystal

Scarf is a lock obviously, it revenge kills a lot of relevant threats. All of the last three can be argued for and against somewhat successfully I imagine. Double Dance because it's a poverty version of Lando, Choice Band because it's just duggy bait, pointless. I like SR wallbreaker, but only on paper. It copies one of Lando's successful sets, but it actually takes advantage of its better speed tier. It can also imitate Garchomp's SD + SR + Sash, but again it's faster and it doesnt get owned by skarm which is nice! This being said, I haven't tested it at all.

Also HP Ice mixed attacker is kind of fun considering Lando is on like 75% of teams.. just sayin.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Though the Overview is not necessarily wrong, I feel that you sell Terrakion a little short in the cons. I think there's some reasons why you can mention why you should run Terrakion over a lot of these Pokemon.

Example A) Terrakion's STABs generally being more difficult to switch into.
Example B) A faster threatening Stealth Rock user.
Example C) Rock has no immunities.

I still don't know why Iron Head is even mentioned before Poison Jab. Poison Jab is a lot better on the account that it hits all 4 Tapus instead of two. There are only a couple of times where Iron Head will ever eck out an advantage over Poison Jab. You can definitely slash Poison Jab with it IMO since some of those targets (Magearna) cant reliably switch into repeated Close Combats and Poison Jab at least has the 30% chance of Poisoning targets as well if they're not Steel or Poison.

busyguy

formerly mil
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'd actually put this as an own set:

Terrakion @ Rockium Z
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake/Stealth Rock/Substitute

The Rockium-Z set should be used to get necessary damage off on Landorus and Fini for example which are on bulky offense teams, to bring them in range for another Pokemon to sweep. Good partners are Zard-X, DD Lando, and scarf Garchomp. This applies to the sash set too, and you didn't stress it enough imo.
In comparison to Lando, it gets stab Continental Crush which hits harder, while keeping Fini from defogging if Rocks is run when it's needed on the team. Continental Crush + Stone Edge kills standard Fini. It can't ohko you with any move, and +2 Contiental Crush ohkoes it.

Last edited:

Ash Borer

Talked about that set a bunch in discord. Im not convinced its good; sr + z crystal role compresses too hard. Its not a totally reliable SR user like sash, and usually has to choose between swinging for the fences and getting up rocks. Youre 99% of the time better with a dedicated z user and a dedicated sr user. Only lando can run this set because its lol lando and it has stupid good defensive properties.

As far as the pure wallbreaking set ill wait for duggy to depart. As of now its just outclassed by the wallbreakers like lando bulu marowak and so on who can get away from dugguy

Last edited:

busyguy

formerly mil
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I woudn't say it's outclassed that much by the mons you mentioned, it still has its advantages over the standard mons.
Lando for example struggles to damage steel types depeding on its Z-move while Terrak has Fighting and Rock Stab, and it has a better speed tier than Marowak and Bulu, while checking Zards, Volcarona, and Heatran, all common threats.
For Duggi one could run Quick attack in the last slot if it hardswitches into it, but that's a pretty rare scenario.

What Steel-types though? Most Steel-types are actually threatened by Landorus-T more than Terrakion: see Celesteela, Excadrill, Magearna, non-Ice Punch Metagross,.... The only notable Steel-type is Ferrothorn which will not stay on a Landorus-T when they see damage rolls because of the threat that is Double Dance Landorus-T. Non-Choice Scarf Terrakion is not a Charizard X or Volcarona check so I do not know what you are trying to pull here.

I strongly oppose Rockium Z Terrakion getting its own set for these reasons. Focus Sash sets do the exact same thing since they can not only get heavy chip of Landorus-T and Tapu Fini, but it also provides guaranteed Stealth Rock with Focus Sash which is important for an inconsistent Stealth Rock user such as Terrakion. The concept of Rockium Z needs to die on Terrakion since there is no real reason to use it over any Z-Move variant of Landorus-T. In addition to this, Stealth Rock + Swords Dance Landorus-T also outclasses it due to Ground STAB forcing more pressure on stall and balance teams. I know Rockium Z Terrakion was used in SPL, but it is really hard to justify over Landorus-T unless you really, really want to use it. I hope this logic answers your thoughts mil

Also, while I am at it, Taunt should be slashed before Swords Dance. Some of the more hyper offensive teams don't really care about Tapu Fini or Landorus-T due to dedicated lures or brute force. A Taunt set can still get off around 30 to 40% on Tapu Fini and Landorus-T anyways. Stopping opposing Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Jirachi from getting Stealth Rock is huge in terms of momentum and also sets priorities for your opponent. Taunt Azelf is kind of predictable but when teams see Terrakion in Team Preview, they will assume it is Choice Scarf where Taunt proves itself to be very clutch. Sableye is not a good reason to forgo Taunt on Terrakion, especially when you are using this as a lead.

Other Options: The problem with Choice Band is the metagame is far more kind to Choice Scarf Terrakion, not solely due to Dugtrio. Say that Rockium Z faces competition with Landorus-T and likewise, stress less on Dugtrio.

Otherwise, the analysis is looking awesome my g.

busyguy

formerly mil
Non-Choice Scarf Terrakion is not a Charizard X or Volcarona check so I do not know what you are trying to pull here.
+1 Dclaw can't okho from full, so Zard needs EQ, and +1 Giga Drain from Volc only has a very small chance to ohko, also it outspeeds and ohkoes or forces out both, so I consider it a check to those. In contrast to Terrak, offensive Lando can't deal with Volcarona and Zard X and Y the same way. So if your team is weak to those, one can consider it.

Lando can still be used on the same team and do its job well, or work together well with Terrak, weakening common checks.

Also, often times you can't run Landorus instead of Terrakion as a one to one replacement, when you need a strong physical wallbreaker with a good speed tier and some useful resistances, as Lando's defensive set is needed on some teams.
What Steel-types though?
There is also Bronzong which Lando can't really damage, and the problem with Ferro you mentioned. I feel like you can play around Lando easier than around Terrak's stabs, as everybody is prepared for Lando and has multiple ways of beating it, while Terrak is not one of the first top3 things you have in mind when you build a team.

Ash Borer

I mean there's subtle differences between the two, but overall wallbreaker Terrakion is mostly outclassed. I will definitely reconsider its viability when the verdict on duggy comes in, though.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Regarding Swords Dance vs Taunt, I think Taunt is more useful. Swords Dance let you blow through Defog users, but it's predicated on the opponent giving Terrakion an inch. The threat of a fast Taunt seems so much more appealing, as you can get up rocks, Taunt a Defog user (Tapu Fini) and keep the momentum.

Otherwise, this is great

1/3

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 1/1

[OVERVIEW]

* Terrakion's excellent offensive typing, good Attack, useful Speed tier, and access to some key utility moves make it a great Choice Scarf and Stealth Rock user.
* It also can run wallbreaking and sweeping sets, but in general they're not suited well for SM OU.
* This is because Landorus-T usually outclasses it as a sweeper or wallbreaker, and Dugtrio's presence really solidifies this.
* Terrakion faces competition as a Stealth Rock or Choice Scarf user too, but, (RC) overall it has enough advantages to carve itself a place in these roles.

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Close Combat
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Rock Slide
move 4: Earthquake / Poison Jab
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Close Combat is Terrakion's most powerful move with little practical drawbacks. Thanks to its high power Terrakion remains a strong attacker against less-than-defensive teams, even though it lacks any kind of boosting item or move.
* Stone Edge completes the dual STAB combination and achieves very good neutral coverage. (AP)
* Rock Slide, (AC) although seemingly redundant with Stone Edge, (AC) is worth a moveslot for its accuracy. Many of Terrakion's targets for revenge killing such as Volcarona, Mega Charizard X, Salamence, and Gyarados are weak to Rock-type attacks, and relying on Stone Edge's poor accuracy is too inconsistent. It also has a high flinch chance, which has good synergy with a Choice Scarf.
* Earthquake is good filler to harass potential Magearna, Metagross, and Toxapex switch-ins better than anything else Terrakion has.
* Poison Jab is also an option, letting Terrakion more reliably revenge kill Tapu Koko and Choice Scarf Tapu Lele. It also has a handy poison chance to inflict potential chip damage on defensive switch-ins like Tangrowth.

Set Details
========

* 252 Speed EVs, a Jolly nature, (AC) and a Choice Scarf empower Terrakion to act as a very effective revenge killer, outspeeding nearly every sweeper.
* 252 Attack EVs are obligatory for doing as much damage as possible.

Usage Tips
========

* Choice Scarf Terrakion is purely a revenge killer, so it should primarily be used for checking fast threats is (did you mean as?) necessary. Be conservative of Terrakion if the opponent has specific targets like Volcarona and Salamence.
* However, there are situations where revenge killing may not be necessary, should the opponent's team be very defensive and slow. In this case Terrakion is probably the least important member of your team and can be used for strategic sacrificing sacking, and dangerously switching into predicted resisted hits.
* In general, think about how much you need Terrakion in the match, and play it as carefully or aggressively as this dictates.

Team Options
========

* As is the nature of Choice Scarf Pokemon, it's more of a patch over weaknesses to certain threats, rather than something a team builds around. Pokemon that are very strong, (RC) but are otherwise weak to what Terrakion revenge kills effortlessly are going to take advantage of its presence best.
* Top setup sweepers that Terrakion can fairly reliably revenge kill include Volcarona, Salamence, Gyarados, Mega Charizard X, Shift Gear Magearna, Porygon-Z, Celesteela, Dragonite, and Z-Rain Dance Manaphy. When building a team, assess how weak it is you are to these threats, and use Terrakion to rectify this.

[SET]
name: Stealth Rock
move 1: Stone Edge
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Stealth Rock
move 4: Taunt / Swords Dance
item: Focus Sash
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Stone Edge and Close Combat together form excellent coverage and have great power.
* Setting Stealth Rock is the main purpose of this set, and Terrakion's offensive presence makes it a convincing user of the move.
* Taunt is quite useful for preventing opponents from laying their own Stealth Rock or Defogging against Terrakion.
* Swords Dance is used to make a fool of defensive entry hazard countermeasures like Sableye and Skarmory. Boosting as they switch in will result in their demise. In general Swords Dance makes Terrakion more adept against stall, but less so against more balanced and offensive teams.

Set Details
========

* Focus Sash gives Terrakion a guaranteed turn to lay Stealth Rock. Even without a boosting item one can get past defensive Defog users, so the item makes Terrakion very good against offense and defense alike.
* Maximum Attack, maximum Speed, (AC) and a Jolly nature are obligatory on account of Terrakion's all-out offensive nature. (AP)

Usage Tips
========

* Calculating how easy it is for the opponent to remove your hazards is key to using this set. Should the opponent have an entry hazard removal user that can quite easily switch into something on your team, it's a poor idea to simply lead with Terrakion and use Stealth Rock in a suicidal fashion. However, if they lack easy hazard removal, this is usually a good idea.
* Obviously don't lead with Terrakion against a team with Mega Sableye; (ASC) ideally you want to boost while it switches into Terrakion you.
* Choice Scarf is by far Terrakion's most used set. You can bluff that set fairly effectively, as long as you have other potential Stealth Rock users on the team.
* Unlike Pokemon like Azelf, Terrakion's Taunt has good surprise factor. Feel free to use it whenever you think the opponent intends to use a non-attacking move; moving, they will almost never try and predict Taunt and attack.

Team Options
========

* Offensive Stealth Rock users are best suited for offensive teams. Powerful attackers like Metagross, Pheromosa, Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, and Greninja are a good place to start when looking to capitalize on guaranteed entry hazards. (AP)
* Late-game sweepers like Salamence, Volcarona, and Trick Room Magearna compliment complement Terrakion well, taking they take advantage of the excessive chip damage early-game hazards cause.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Wallbreaking Z-Crystal and Choice Band sets hit extremely hard, but the metagame is fairly unkind to them it. Other wallbreakers like Landorus-T, Tapu Bulu, and Alolan Marowak-A have significantly better defensive merits, (RC) while evading the threat of Dugtrio.
* Double Dance / Rock Polish-based sets are solid, but again Landorus-T can also get past nearly every wall, (RC) and outrun nearly every revenge killer, but has while having much better defensive attributes.
* A mixed 4 attacks Life Orb based set, (RC) with Hidden Power Ice to 2HKO Landorus-T is a fun attacker, but there are better choices in the tier. Tapu Lele, Greninja, Metagross, (AC) and Tapu Koko are examples.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Physical Walls**: Anything with solid physically defensive attributes and no weaknesses to Terrakion's attacks, like Hippowdon, Landorus-T, Tangrowth, and or Mega Venusaur, (AC) can rightfully claim to counter Terrakion. Though this is the case, a Swords Dance-boosted Stone Edge or Close Combat will deal hefty damage to any of these walls before Terrakion faints.

**Dugtrio**: The main reason why Dugtrio is so problematic to Terrakion is that it prevents Terrakion from effectively running wallbreaking sets. While neither of the sets detailed is are particularly stifled by Dugtrio, Terrakion can certainly be trapped and KO'd KOed by it.

**Revenge Killers**: Terrakion's Speed without a boost is not enough to ever be in a position to outspeed everything. Plenty of attackers in the tier like Greninja, Pheromosa, Mega Metagross, and Alakazam can simply outspeed Terrakion and KO it. There is also no shortage of Pokemon that can absorb a Choice Scarf Terrakion's attack and retaliate with an OHKO. Magearna, Tapu Bulu, and Keldeo are among many examples.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)