"The Arceus Paradox": Exploring A Potentially Unintended Mystery

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
This past January, Pokémon fans saw the release of Pokémon Legends: Arceus on the Nintendo Switch system. Even outside of its role as more on action-RPG with semi-open world elements, the game was a breath of the wil- I mean, fresh air in many ways for the Pokémon main series lineup. But of course, this is all stuff most Pokémon fans already know. What's the point in making a thread about common knowledge? Diving deep into the potential Legends: Arceus iceberg sounds way more appealing for me.

So what exactly do I want to discuss here that I couldn't discuss elsewhere, you may ask? Out of fear that this may fall outside of thread creation rules in my preferred posting location, I want to talk about something that might just go a little bit further than "your run-of-the-mill fan theory". People who know me well have most likely heard me talk about the Pokémon Ranger games before, and hardcore fans of my personal favorite in the trilogy, that being Guardian Signs, might remember that Arceus makes an appearance in that game as well. Okay, so Pokémon's equivalent of God is in two seperate video games. So what?

Well... here's the thing. Most of us know by now that Pokémon Legends: Arceus is canon to the main series timeline of games, and that it takes place hundreds of years before the events of the Sinnoh games we all know and love- which are obviously also canon. What long-time Pokémon fans might not remember is that the Ranger trilogy are some of the very few spin-off Pokémon games we also know to adhere to the canon timeline. The reason I mention this is because of a neat bit of Arceus-related trivia. There are only two Pokémon games in canonical history that Arceus is a part of the region's definitive PokéDex or equivalent of one, since we can't say for certain that Wi-Fi events are or aren't canon across the board. Not like it matters anyway, since Sinnoh's regional PokéDex in DPP and BDSP stops at either Manaphy or Giratina for some reason. Huh. Those two games are... well, these two- a Pokémon Ranger game, where Arceus can be met in the past as well as in a Wi-Fi event, and in the Legends game sharing its name.

If you haven't figured out what I'm getting at here, it's that Guardian Signs and Legends: Arceus are, technically speaking, canon to the same timeline of events. This brings up a lot of interesting ideas about either game that present some... questions about the newer of the two on the Nintendo Switch. For the uninformed, what happens in the events of Guardian Signs is that the player can meet Arceus in the past, but that whole side-plot of the game isn't actually required. Since Oblivia (the region where Guardian Signs takes place) would have been the first region, either before or around the same time as Hisui, to recognize Arceus in a non-divine Pokémon form, as we can make an assumption that the only way anyone would have learned about Arceus's existence in Hisui would be if knowledge of its appearance over in Oblivia was made evident to the Hisuian population somehow, and from there, modern society- including who would later be known Rei/Akari when they fall through the space-time rift at the beginning of the game- would eventually be able to recognize Arceus in Pokémon form as well, as evident by the fact that Rei/Akari does seem to have at least some reaction to Arceus's appearance at the Hall of Origin at the end of Legends's storyline.

My question for you guys, and the reason I made this thread... is how is any of this possible if the player character of Guardian Signs could very realistically have not triggered the sequence of events to make Arceus known within Oblivia's past? Since the player can just as easily choose not to go through with the past storyline, doing so would inevitably result in a timeline split where contemporary history after the events of Oblivia's past could never have happened was never introduced to Arceus during the events of Legends, and since Arceus would not have been introduced in Hisui at that point, the entirety of Legends: Arceus's story and the rest of the canonical Pokémon timeline starts to fall apart completely starting with the Johto/Sinnoh era.

Does anyone have any questions?

Last edited:

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
One quick little note I forgot to mention- if anyone was wondering how I'm so confident that the past storyline of Guardian Signs takes place around the time or before the events of Legends: Arceus, you can refer to this link here. The site mentions "hundreds of years", but by process of elimination that number can be no less than 204 years, and is very likely at or over the required 300 mark. The math here is simple- "Hundreds" has to mean at least 200, Johto/Sinnoh took place three years after Kanto/Hoenn, and while the site doesn't list this, Guardian SIgns is confirmed to have taken place one extra year after the previous Ranger game, Shadows of Almia.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/History_of_the_Pokémon_world#Recent_history

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
I thought this would be about the pronunciation. Ar ceeeee us
While not directly related, it's also funny to think that there could have been the possibility that in one parallel universe it's pronounced "Ar-Key-Us" and in the other it's pronounced "Ar-cee-us".

Well, first of all, trying to find plot holes in a time travel plotline is a bit like trying to find water in the ocean. That being said...

Most of us know by now that Pokémon Legends: Arceus is canon to the main series timeline of games, and that it takes place hundreds of years before the events of the Sinnoh games we all know and love- which are obviously also canon.
Do we know this for certain? We know multiverse theory is valid in the Pokemon world, and we know that main series games explore at least two of these timelines (with R/S/E and OR/AS both being considered canon, but in two divergent timelines). I don't think we can conclusively rule out that PLA also takes place within a divergent timeline. That's kind of what happens when you introduce time travel and split timelines and shit into your stories; all bets are kind of off from there on forward.

I don't think that matters much to your actual conclusion though. I never played that far into Ranger GS so I don't fully understand what you're referring to, but in PLA it's implied that the ancient civilization that built the various ruins and temples throughout Hisui (which significantly predate the events of PLA) knew about Arceus. It could be that the events of Ranger GS are the first time the people of Oblivia discovered Arceus, but it was already known by the original Hisuian civilizaton. Or it could simply be that canonically, the main character of Ranger GS always encounters Arceus, even if the game doesn't actually force you to.

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
PLA is at least in the same timeline as BDSP given the Legend of the Sea directly mentions the protag.

What I fail to see is how people not knowing about Arceus beforehand would have a noticeable effect on any story.
would eventually be able to recognize Arceus in Pokémon form as well, as evident by the fact that Rei/Akari does seem to have at least some reaction to Arceus's appearance at the Hall of Origin at the end of Legends's storyline.
The protag saw Arceus’s silhouette in the opening cutscene.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
One quick little note I forgot to mention- if anyone was wondering how I'm so confident that the past storyline of Guardian Signs takes place around the time or before the events of Legends: Arceus, you can refer to this link here. The site mentions "hundreds of years", but by process of elimination that number can be no less than 204 years, and is very likely at or over the required 300 mark. The math here is simple- "Hundreds" has to mean at least 200, Johto/Sinnoh took place three years after Kanto/Hoenn, and while the site doesn't list this, Guardian SIgns is confirmed to have taken place one extra year after the previous Ranger game, Shadows of Almia.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/History_of_the_Pokémon_world#Recent_history
From the same page:

c. 1,000-2,000 years before Pokémon Legends: Arceus (c. 1,300-2,300 years before Generation IV):

• An ancient society called the Celestica people lived in the Sinnoh region. They worshiped Arceus and built many structures which can still be found as ruins in the region in modern times, such as Solaceon Ruins, Snowpoint Temple, and Spear Pillar.
So people obviously knew of Arceus well before the past events of GS (only Ranger game I’ve never played btw) and well before the events of L:A, so… I don’t really think there’s a question to be answered here.

I’m not sure I quite understand what the issue being solved by the addition of Guardian Signs is. What is it about PLA’s internal logic that fails to stand on its own and necessitates information about Arceus being received from Oblivia to contextualize it?

The Celestica people who lived in Hisui long ago could just as easily have seen Arceus for themselves. In fact, I would say that they most likely did, given Cogita’s ancestry with them and her certainty that the Diamond and Pearl Clans (who were originally foreign to Hisui) aren’t seeing the full picture in their competing depictions of “Almighty Sinnoh.” Not to mention, we can clearly see a heiroglyphic depiction of Arceus on some of the wall paintings that are hidden throughout Hisui, like at Snowpoint Temple and the Stone Portal.

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
From the same page:

c. 1,000-2,000 years before Pokémon Legends: Arceus (c. 1,300-2,300 years before Generation IV):

• An ancient society called the Celestica people lived in the Sinnoh region. They worshiped Arceus and built many structures which can still be found as ruins in the region in modern times, such as Solaceon Ruins, Snowpoint Temple, and Spear Pillar.
So people obviously knew of Arceus well before the past events of GS (only Ranger game I’ve never played btw) and well before the events of L:A, so… I don’t really think there’s a question to be answered here.
Oof. How did I miss a detail that important? That one's on me, folks.

(This was supposed to be in the same post as the one right below it, but the "Edit" button must have messed up or something.)

Last edited:

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
I’m not sure I quite understand what the issue being solved by the addition of Guardian Signs is. What is it about PLA’s internal logic that fails to stand on its own and necessitates information about Arceus being received from Oblivia to contextualize it?

The Celestica people who lived in Hisui long ago could just as easily have seen Arceus for themselves. In fact, I would say that they most likely did, given Cogita’s ancestry with them and her certainty that the Diamond and Pearl Clans (who were originally foreign to Hisui) aren’t seeing the full picture in their competing depictions of “Almighty Sinnoh.” Not to mention, we can clearly see a heiroglyphic depiction of Arceus on some of the wall paintings that are hidden throughout Hisui, like at Snowpoint Temple and the Stone Portal.
Following off of that other reply I just made, I realize now that the only way most of this would still be vaild would be if this theory (assuming it's even true in the first place, it probably isn't) was made the other way around. The Celestica people would absolutely have been around before the stuff in Oblivia's past storyline. Maybe it was Oblivia that learned of Arceus from them and not the other way around like I would have thought at first.

I don't think that matters much to your actual conclusion though. I never played that far into Ranger GS so I don't fully understand what you're referring to, but in PLA it's implied that the ancient civilization that built the various ruins and temples throughout Hisui (which significantly predate the events of PLA) knew about Arceus. It could be that the events of Ranger GS are the first time the people of Oblivia discovered Arceus, but it was already known by the original Hisuian civilizaton. Or it could simply be that canonically, the main character of Ranger GS always encounters Arceus, even if the game doesn't actually force you to.
I suppose it is also possible that GS would have been the first time a population outside of Hisui (i.e. the Celestica people) would have been introduced. I dunno. I guess I just thought I had a theory going or something, I don't know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)