Project The Dark Horse Project Redux

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
I've decided I'm limiting this to two weeks a cycle because it is super easy to shoot up the ladder in that time, and I want to add challenges to keep this fresh. ggggd and Goao , congrats on Gold Rank! if you can share some thoughts about your mons that'd be dope, just a little discussion / maybe some replays of you bonking a ladder hero or something. You can keep laddering to try for the bonus as the highest-ranked player in a round!

Thoughts on a ban on webs for next round? It's a little easy to slap slow n frail mon 1 + 2 onto a team and zip past the sample team vturn squads on the ladder, which isnt really the point of this challenge, i'd like to hear everyone's input if y'all care enough.

I've decided I'm limiting this to two weeks a cycle because it is super easy to shoot up the ladder in that time, and I want to add challenges to keep this fresh. ggggd and Goao , congrats on Gold Rank! if you can share some thoughts about your mons that'd be dope, just a little discussion / maybe some replays of you bonking a ladder hero or something. You can keep laddering to try for the bonus as the highest-ranked player in a round!

Thoughts on a ban on webs for next round? It's a little easy to slap slow n frail mon 1 + 2 onto a team and zip past the sample team vturn squads on the ladder, which isnt really the point of this challenge, i'd like to hear everyone's input if y'all care enough.
to be honest, the main point of this project is to showcase these "dark horses" and to try to see what their potential is. Ggggd and I decided to run webs because the mons we picked were best used on a webs team. I wanted to try out pump on a webs team and spinarak because I wanted to see how these were vs the standard, and he wanted to try how cubone was under webs, and how effectively it could abuse the 14 speed mark. If the "dark horses" we pick happen to be best used under webs, then I don't see the point of really restricting that.

anyways i'm too lazy to get that high so won't be getting gold, but so far spinarak and pump have not neccesarily been worse than standard skit/gast, but different. Spinarak actually can do a lot of damage under webs, and has actual presence. Pump really helps if the opponent has psychic staryu, which can otherwise be incredibly annoying for web teams.

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Typical Showdown Username: antemortem
Challenge Ladder Alt:
FINAL WEAPON
Dark Horses Used:
Numel and Koffing
Explanation For Mons:
i love them, also i don't really have an explanation other than that. they are good components on this sun driven wrecker that i'm attempting, and also flame charge simple + growth in sun is godly :/

Typical Showdown Username: Cheir
Challenge Ladder Alt: Cheir's Dark Horse (sorry, I'm boring. :<)
Dark Horses Used: Aron and Deino
Explanation For Mons: I love Aron, and LO+Rock Polish is seriously under-appreciated, not to mention it sets up in the face of Fletchling + flying friends (Archen is the bully of its group :<), Spritzee, and a bit more. Deino is Deino, do I need to say more? :>

EDIT: I created that alt earlier today and already started laddering for it (simply forgot to post here), is that an issue?

Typical Showdown Username: crlail
Challenge Ladder Alt: crlail dark horse
Dark Horses Used: Meowth, Kabuto, and Pumpkaboo Large
Explanation For Mons: Meowth is underrated with awesome priority, kabuto is a spinner with priority aqua jet, and Pumpkaboo large is unranked and idk why.

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
Ok everyone, this cycle has 1 more day, if you all could post results and stuff if you did it, that'd be cool!

So yeah I didn't ladder extensively for this because I'm lazy but I used the team in roomtours and stuff and I'm really happy with Numel and Buneary. Numels' got decent bulk with a godly typing that not only is a neat Rock setter but also a stellar counter to Magnemite, an offensive mon that most of my teams have a real hard time getting around. It's bulky and strong, and Lava Plume is a really nice way to burn sometimes while hitting hard. Bulky, strong, and just a great addition to FWG cores or w/e that needs a Stealth Rock setter that beats fairies and steels. I was thoroughly impressed with Buneary, as Eviolite gives it rather nice bulk and it's got great utility. I ran Return, Drain Punch, Thunder Wave and Healing Wish with a 15 atk 19 spe spread. (13 atk is bulkier but doesnt OHKO Pawn after rocks) 19 Spe was really helpful as a check to offensive threats on my Bulky Offense team, and Return hits for a surprisingly nice amount of damage. Healing Wish is really the best thing about Buneary and it's probably one of the best moves in the game. Even though my mons got worn down by switching into threats or me making bad plays, Buneary gave them a second life and let me win games. I ran it with both Calm Mind Spritzee and Bulk Up Timburr, as these sweepers get worn down a lot by switching into offensive threats, but Buneary lets them live again and sweep. Overall great mons that I'd love to use again.

Last edited:
I did not ladder very much as, I was very busy with Monotype Premier League in which I was drafted in Mid-season. I also was given copious amounts of school work, I did enjoy using Spinarak over Surskit, and Darumaka didn't feel like Choice Banded Bunny at all which is what I expected. Either way I had fun.

Coconut

W
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
LC Leader
Coconut
Coco Dark Horsea.
Horsea, Venipede
Venipede is a broken mon that also sets spikes, Horsea is a broken crit mon. (Troll Alert)

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 9.40.43 AM.png

Meowth @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Level: 5
EVs: 240 Atk / 68 SpD / 200 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe (i sometimes swap hp fire in for aerial ace)
- Fake Out
- Feint
- Knock Off
- Aerial Ace

fake out + feint revenge kills alot of things and 2koes some non evolite mons from full. fake out + aerial ace koes most mienfoo from full.

Pumpkaboo-Large @ Eviolite
Ability: Pickup
EVs: 4 HP / 72 Atk / 36 Def / 84 SpA / 76 SpD / 232 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Sneak
- Bullet Seed
- Leech Seed

idk whats up with the ev spread but i like this one.

Kabuto @ Eviolite
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 40 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Aqua Jet
- Rock Slide

good at setting rocks and can spin too if you want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)