The Elitists

Recently the RU tier moved Mega Abomasnow and Sharpedo to BL2 (rightfully so). And now the tier is more or less reforming as the ladder restructures itself. (March 2nd, 2016)

So to celebrate the new tier changes, I opted to build about 12 different teams for RU. Out of all twelve of them, there is one team in particular that stands out among the others. There are a few reasons for this, one of them being my theory for a Fairy/Steel/Dragon core which is just really tough to crack in general. I name this team "The Elitists" because each member on the team serves a specific role and all but one are at least A rank according to viability. The team resembles either bulky offense or balance depending on how you look at it. As I said, there is a Fairy/Steel/Dragon core which solidifies the team. Beyond that, the team uses 2 sweepers and rapid spin support. I laddered today just a little past 1300, though I haven't gotten close to peaking with this team yet. I have worked out all of the kinks, but I feel as though my team lacks... something. I just can't tell where or what. The main goal of this team is to exert pressure and force switches at the same time it punches small holes in the opposing team. I realize that there are some issues, which I will talk about after I present the team.

Steelix_Mega_Dream.png

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 72 SpD / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

One of the most useful pokemon in the current Meta, Mega Steelix earns a roll on this team as a bulky pivot and tank. It could set up stealth rocks; however, I have another rock setter in this team who fits in very well. Mega Steelix is a heavy weight champion and deals consistently higher damage with Heavy Slam than Iron Head. Combined with Earthquake, it makes switching in on Mega Steelix a little unpleasant without something like Alomomola. This is a RestTalk set so it can stay relatively healthy throughout the match while still being a threat even when it is asleep. It also allows me to take spore from Amoongus and sleep powder from defensive Venusaur. The best ability before mega evolution is sturdy, as it allows me to survive something from houndoom or delphox or just live at 1 hp if things get dicey and I still have full HP. Call it a safety net. Max HP makes it as fat as possible, while 72 SpD allows it to take special attacks more easily. I have 88 Speed solely to outspeed other Steelix which normally run 84 Speed. Adamant nature with 96 Atk lets it hit as hard as possible while still retaining its great bulk. This mon tends to force switches, usually to grass or water types. It's incredibly useful.
I have thought to run this as the rock setter with toxic over roar, but so far, I prefer the longevity provided by rest as this team lacks a cleric and I did not want to run one, such as Alomomola, because it didn't fit my intended playstyle.

Diancie.png

Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast

Diancie is relatively new to RU as of March 2, 2016. It is also one of the best fairy types in the current meta in my opinion. Before it dropped to RU, I used it in UU for a pretty similar purpose, though I ran it with a Quiet nature so that diamond storm would hit harder. Diamond Storm is a great move that has a 50% chance to boost defense by 1 and has 95% accuracy. It hits fairly hard too and it is STAB. In RU, the only thing it needs to hit are fire types, flying types, or ice types. Hence the Modest nature. Clear body is a great ability, though it isn't incredibly helpful on this particular set. Leftovers is practically the best item for Diance for passive recovery. I run 4 speed to outspeed uninvested base 50, as base 150 defenses are solid enough without investment. Moonblast just hits hard and in some cases doubles as a way to hit special attackers like Venusaur on the switch in, lowering special attack by 1 30% of the time. Earth power slams steel counters and grounded electric types not named magneton for good damage. It's also a great way of beating slightly damaged mega Steelix. This is my rock setter. Diancie is very helpful at dealing with fighting types and dark types, not to mention it checks Tyrantrum and Emboar. Diancie is worn down pretty easily and it isn't very quick, but Diancie is still very useful in general.

Tyrantrum.png

Tyrantrum @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Superpower

Tyrantrum is a beast. That's all there is to it. Sometimes a game comes down to whether or not Head Smash misses. Tyrantrum has Jolly nature and max speed investment to outspeed base 130 nature boosted max speed as long as it has its scarf. Thanks to rock head as an ability, Tyrantrum can spam Head Smash without recoil damage, earning huge amounts of damage to most things in general. Maximum attack investment allows it to hit as hard as possible. If anyone's played RU before, they know this is a pokemon that must be prepared for, almost regardless of its set. The main role for this tyrantrum is to wallbreak and or clean late game. Unlike the current moveset for the scarfed variant on smogon, I run Superpower over Dragon Claw. It hits harder than EQ on the first use and punishes some of its counters, especially ones coming in to take Head Smash. Mega Steelix with 0 defense investment takes at least 33.8% from Superpower where EQ dishes out 33.3% to it at most. The numbers are almost the exact same for Rhyperior. Fighting types also take more damage from it on the first hit. Superpower does frequently force me to either sack Tyrantrum or switch out. One great benefit is that Superpower nails things with levitate, that can switch into an earthquake, such as rotom-C or Eelektross. It also can earn a surprise KO on D-dance Scrafty after a little prior damage. Earthquake is similar to Superpower, but it lacks the base power and the stat drops. I've had some debate as to whether or not I should run superpower. Outrage is just powerful STAB that's useful in the late game. Aside from the moveset, this is a solid set for Tyrantrum. It's a wallbreaker and a late game cleaner.

Blastoise.png

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Dark Pulse

Blastoise is also relatively new to RU. Before the introduction of Blastoise, the only viable rapid spinners were the hitmon family. Now Blastoise comes into play as the best rapid spinner in the current meta, simply because of its good natural bulk and the fact that it nails spin blockers with dark pulse. I am sure that there will be several different sets for Blastoise, such as a defensive spinner with roar/dragon tail. Quite clearly, this Blastoise has a common set and similar spread to Blastoise Mega in UU. Scald is one of the most spammable moves anything can learn and is the go-to-move for almost any situation. Ice Beam puts a dent in the common grass type counters, such as Venusaur and Virizion. Dark Pulse covers a good portion of the tier for neutral damage and hits spin blockers not named Spiritomb for more damage than scald. Rapid spin is rapid spin. Enough said. I run max HP to make Blastoise as fat as it can be alongside a Modest nature with max special attack to leave dents in opposing mons. There are very few pokemon that can OHKO Blastoise after rocks without a boost, let alone from full. The major problem with this set is that Defensive CM Meloetta can set up on Blastoise. Meloetta at +1 SpD can then set up a sub which can't be broken by Dark Pulse and continue to set up until it can net a KO behind a sub. I've thought about using Roar for the main purpose of slowing down that variant of Meloetta. Using a set with Toxic and protect is valid if I'm not mistaken, but I appreciate the coverage of Dark Pulse and Ice Beam coupled with rapid spin. Other than that, Blastoise provides great support for the team as a hazard remover.

Scrafty.jpg

Scrafty @ Life Orb
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

*There is a note underlined in bold below here that summarizes how I feel about Scrafty on this team*
Before I discuss Scrafty, I want to take a moment to say that it took me at least thirty minutes to decide what pokemon to include in this slot. And even now, I'm still relatively unsure that Scrafty is the best fit. Virizion, Hitmonlee, and Emboar are all extremely viable. Virizion is able to set up on most water types and doesn't have to rely on a speed boost from dragon dance not to mention that Virizion can handle slower flying types not named Fletchinder. Hitmonlee can use either its reckless set or a liechi berry set with Endure and Reversal to nearly score KOs on everything, though it is incredibly frail. Hitmonlee could also use rapid spin if I wanted to use roar on Blastoise as well as gaining priority via mach punch. Emboar would cover essentially every grass type in the meta and be able to use sucker punch as priority, though Emboar couldn't act as a sweeper. Scrafty was chosen for 3 main reasons.
1) It is able to beat Meloetta lacking dazzling gleam
2) It can use things like Alomomola as setup fodder
3) It puts tons of pressure on balance and stall teams
All three of Scrafty's abilities are useful. Intimidate aids in setup. Shed Skin relieves status. Moxie can threaten to turn Scrafty into a deadly sweeper. I run life orb in order to boost my overall damage output. Shed Skin was my chosen ability, as it allows me to clear status 1/3 of the time, which increases longevity and allows me to always use Alomomola as setup fodder with Dragon Dance. Drain Punch was chosen over Low Kick and HJK purely to add to overall longevity. This allows me to arguably beat Mega Steelix after I'm at +1, meaning that I can't set up on a Mega Steelix (unless it's burned) but instead I can dish out at least 50% to one with Max HP and no defense investment (the main Mega Steelix set on Smogon). It will either use roar or heavy slam, the latter of which will effectively take out 60 to 71% from Scrafty. The next move will result in Scrafty earning the KO and recovering roughly half of the damage done by Heavy Slam minus LO recoil (Scrafty should have about 30 to 40% HP if the 1v1 starts with Scrafty at +1 and LO recoil from full health). One major issue though, is that Virizion can revenge kill unless Scrafty is at +2 since Drain Punch won't do enough damage to KO a Virizion at +1. Knock Off is one of the most useful moves in the game. And Iron Head is purely for fairy types, specifically Diancie, which even without a boost threatens to OHKO the Diancie on this team after rocks a little over 50% of the time. Scrafty is never going to set up on a fairy type, but it can hurt them. If Diancie is running defense investment, it will always avoid the OHKO from LO Scrafty's iron head after rocks if its defense number hits 375. If Scrafty is at +1, it won't matter regardless of Diancie's spread unless hazards aren't present, Diancie is at full, and has defense boosted nature and 252 Defense investment. Granbull and Aromatisse still beat Scrafty almost always in a 1v1 matchup. I used to run Poison Jab since it added grass type coverage, but Scrafty can generally beat most grass types after a boost anyway. I've done a number of calculations and noticed that Low Kick is not completely useless, as against several things in this tier, it packs a high base power to the things it needs to, like Virizion, Mega Steelix and Mega Glalie* (120 BP) and because it is a STAB move, the things that it hits for super effective damage results in a clean KO in most circumstances. It has 100% accuracy and no recoil, unlike HJK which although stronger has that unfortunate downside. Low Kick essentially means that Protect and Ghost types won't cause Scrafty to lose half its health by missing HJK. Though I do make a note here that Durant is a problem unless Scrafty is at +2 so long as Scrafty does not have HJK. This also assumes Durant is not scarfed. Honestly, choosing the specific fighting move for Scrafty has yet to be fully decided. Knock Off + Low Kick according to the calcs I looked at for a bunch of stuff is usually good enough coverage in its own right to threaten a majority of the tier. Drain Punch lacks power when it is greatly needed in some cases, such as Virizion and Camerupt-Mega. Knock Off at +1 will beat non-scarfed Durant 75% of the time after hazards; yet It cannot do the same to Escavalier, which takes Scrafty down to about 10 to 15% with Megahorn in the scenario that Scrafty is at full HP after using Knock Off on Escavalier, as the Banded variant OHKOs with Megahorn. +1 HJK with LO is still a roll to OHKO Mega Steelix as well. I've also had various debates as to whether or not Shed Skin should be preferred over Moxie for this team, because without moxie, it's harder for Scrafty to sweep. Life Orb is both a curse and a blessing for Scrafty, as it does enable Scrafty to acquire KOs much more easily at the cost of longevity. I am just going to make the major statement about Scrafty for this team here: Scrafty is a good pokemon, albeit with flaws that ultimately prevent it from being great. I chose Scrafty over 3 other fighting types, which in itself took a very long time. As of right now while I'm typing this, the above moveset is what this Scrafty runs. I am not 100% sure that this moveset fits my team completely, but I am sure that Scrafty fits the team very well. So in summation, I do need help with Scrafty, specifically regarding the ability and fighting type STAB. Scrafty's role was originally supposed to crack open stall teams, but now it is to sweep and pressure balance playstyles as well, seeing as the last pokemon on this team also beats stall. I will note that in the event that Diancie is gone, Scrafty is my primary Spiritomb counter thanks to shed skin.
* (I had no idea Mega Glalie weighed enough for low kick to have base power 120 until I checked the damage calculator just to see whether or not Low Kick could be usable on Scrafty. Same with Virizion.)

Meloetta.png

Meloetta @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

In my opinion, Meloetta is the jack of all trades in this tier. There is a physical set if one runs relic song. There's an Assault Vest set. There are two different choice item sets. There is an all out attacking set. There's a set with heal bell (though quite uncommon, it is not completely unheard of). There is an offensive Calm Mind set as well as a Substitute+Calm Mind set. Meloetta can do many things. Of course, there are a great number of things that Meloetta cannot do. Meloetta was chosen for this team because it is difficult to predict which set a Meloetta will have on most teams. Meloetta also finds it quite easy to get rid of Scrafty's checks apart from Durant and Tyrantrum. This Meloetta runs the Sub+CM set from Smogon. Psyshock over Hyper Voice due to the fact that Psyshock allows Meloetta to hit both defenses. Focus Blast hits dark types and steel types for major damage, though it won't count in most cases unless Meloetta is behind a sub, as Houndoom and Absol can beat it otherwise. One huge point that I stressed over when I made this team is that Blastoise threatens the main core. (and Clawitzer, which is ranked C currently... I have no idea as to why, seeing as how it has the same coverage as Blastoise, just with much more firepower. But this is not the place for that discussion). The only way a Blastoise can completely stop this Meloetta is with Roar. After a Calm Mind, this Meloetta's substitute is not broken by Blastoise's Dark Pulse unless it has life orb. In that case, it only takes 2 Calm Minds for the sub to hold up. Blastoise is very common in the tier, and for a good reason. It not only fits on many types of teams, but it is a good rapid spinner too. The other reasons for Meloetta being on this team are in the fact that this Meloetta set make it extremely threatening, let alone beyond annoying. I've played against this set before. This set is annoying to deal with and can sweep fairly easily. I don't know what else to say about it. It's there because it helps cover a couple of primary weaknesses to my Fairy/Steel/Dragon Core.

So as I stated in the beginning, I wanted to talk about some things regarding the team and issues that I have. My main issue is that the core suffers a common weakness to ground coverage and water types. Mega Steelix generally doesn't care about physical shots, but it is not easy taking super effective moves from everything. Diancie can typically handle water types to an extent, but not a good enough extent unless it is the Croncie set (like Crocune only with Diance)... Rest/Talk/CM/Moonblast. Venusaur is incredibly annoying to my team, as it clips 4 members for massive damage. Granbull can't replace Diancie, as it has shit special defense. If there is a sun team, I ultimately lose to Venusaur. Venusaur is a major reason I chose not to use Virizion on the team. That being said, this team can beat Venusaur, especially Meloetta, who both checks and counters Venusaur in most cases. But otherwise, this team has a pretty major weakness to Venusaur. It's hard to explain why this team just performs as well as it does, but the fact of the matter is that the offensive coverage of the core leaves things with chunks of HP taken out. Rather than using super effective coverage, I guess the team picks up on raw neutral damage until it reaches a breaking point where something can clean or sweep. Regardless, this is the team I made that I really enjoyed using. Feedback is appreciated.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Quite the interesting name... anyways, been thinking in how to solve the issues behind this team and giving a concrete/direct to venusaur is pretty difficult but the team can have enough counterplay with some sets tweaks here and there.

First, tyrantrum feels really redundant on this team, having diancie and steelix means you have really solid flying resists and this team is in need of a ground and water resist. It is pretty urgent. A mon like venusaur will not cover this issue so with that being said I would recommend tangrowth over tyrantrum. Tangrowth will give you a really solid ground resist and a secondary water resist to go alongside blastoise and give a solid response to mega steelix and mons like rhyperior, while not inviting any ground type to come in. Tangrowth can successfully lure a mon like venusaur since removing its life orb would make playing a much more easier task.

Thats the only major change in terms of mons tbh, now to see the set tweaks:

- Stealth rock / Toxic / Earthquake / Heavy slam on mega steelix. The premise behind rest talk is really nice and all but it fails to do anything significant on this team, and you are sadly not curse to take full advantage of it. Same spread

- Moonblast / Earth Power / Diamond Storm / Trick Room on diancie looks pretty appealing on this build. Since I took away your main tool against response replacing tyrantrum with tangrowth, this set can do the trick. OTR diancie is really nice counterplay against offensive builds and you let you pressure venusaur even more.

- Feel defensive blastoise is just much better on this team so I would run Rapid Spin / Scald / Toxic or dark pulse / Refresh with a physically defensive spread. You need a consistent spinner in here and sadly offensive blastoise lacks that consistency. Changing the blastoise spread will help you a ton giving you a more solid fire check and a secondary steelix switch-in if necessary.

- Minor item change on scrafty but Chople berry over life orb on dragon dance scrafty will provide more safe setup opportunities against stuff like meloetta since focus blast will not kill thanks to the resist berry, and you could even setup on mons that rely on fighting type coverage like absol if necessary. Is in general some really good safety bet and you still outlast defensive builds thanks to drain punch.

- Last but not least, a faster spread on sub calm mind meloetta will give you an easier time playing around modest venusaur which is the most common set over timid, jolly absol and timid hoopa. 252 HP / 120 def / 136 speed timid will let you do that.

Hope the recommendations works well for you, gonna provide the sets with the changes in a hide tab now. Best of lucks.
Mon Changes

Tangrowth @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Knock Off
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast
- Leaf Storm

Notable sets changes

Diancie @ Life Orb
EVs: 152 HP / 104 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Diamond Storm
- Trick Room

Blastoise @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Refresh
- Scald
- Toxic

Cheers!

Quite the interesting name... anyways, been thinking in how to solve the issues behind this team and giving a concrete/direct to venusaur is pretty difficult but the team can have enough counterplay with some sets tweaks here and there.

First, tyrantrum feels really redundant on this team, having diancie and steelix means you have really solid flying resists and this team is in need of a ground and water resist. It is pretty urgent. A mon like venusaur will not cover this issue so with that being said I would recommend tangrowth over tyrantrum. Tangrowth will give you a really solid ground resist and a secondary water resist to go alongside blastoise and give a solid response to mega steelix and mons like rhyperior, while not inviting any ground type to come in. Tangrowth can successfully lure a mon like venusaur since removing its life orb would make playing a much more easier task.

Thats the only major change in terms of mons tbh, now to see the set tweaks:

- Stealth rock / Toxic / Earthquake / Heavy slam on mega steelix. The premise behind rest talk is really nice and all but it fails to do anything significant on this team, and you are sadly not curse to take full advantage of it. Same spread

- Moonblast / Earth Power / Diamond Storm / Trick Room on diancie looks pretty appealing on this build. Since I took away your main tool against response replacing tyrantrum with tangrowth, this set can do the trick. OTR diancie is really nice counterplay against offensive builds and you let you pressure venusaur even more.

- Feel defensive blastoise is just much better on this team so I would run Rapid Spin / Scald / Toxic or dark pulse / Refresh with a physically defensive spread. You need a consistent spinner in here and sadly offensive blastoise lacks that consistency. Changing the blastoise spread will help you a ton giving you a more solid fire check and a secondary steelix switch-in if necessary.

- Minor item change on scrafty but Chople berry over life orb on dragon dance scrafty will provide more safe setup opportunities against stuff like meloetta since focus blast will not kill thanks to the resist berry, and you could even setup on mons that rely on fighting type coverage like absol if necessary. Is in general some really good safety bet and you still outlast defensive builds thanks to drain punch.

- Last but not least, a faster spread on sub calm mind meloetta will give you an easier time playing around modest venusaur which is the most common set over timid, jolly absol and timid hoopa. 252 HP / 120 def / 136 speed timid will let you do that.

Hope the recommendations works well for you, gonna provide the sets with the changes in a hide tab now. Best of lucks.
Mon Changes

Tangrowth @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Knock Off
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast
- Leaf Storm

Notable sets changes

Diancie @ Life Orb
EVs: 152 HP / 104 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Diamond Storm
- Trick Room

Blastoise @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Refresh
- Scald
- Toxic

Cheers!
Thanks. I really appreciate it. I think that in all honesty I should run life orb on scrafty regardless, because I'm not trying to set up on anything with fighting coverage, nor will Scrafty come into play unless it can outspeed and KO whatever is left that (probably) has fighting coverage. I think I might use roar on Blastoise over toxic, mainly because faster sub users can take advantage of Blastoise, the most dangerous one being Sub+CM Meloetta. I think that I can use Tangrowth, but considering my team doesn't counter Venusaur too well to begin with, simply knocking off its life orb may still not be enough. Do they carry Leaf Storm and Giga Drain/(physical grass move) or do they have Giga Drain and HP Fire? Synthesis fills the fourth moveslot on Venusaur doesn't it? The reason I ask is because Mega-Lix or not, taking anything from Venusaur that isn't sludge bomb hurts. I could use Diancie as a TR user, but I think that with this team, it might be best if it used heal bell to provide status support for Steelix and Tangrowth. It would also allow Blastoise to run toxic or a coverage move over refresh possibly. Another big issue that I seem to have is Durant. If it carries superpower, Steelix-M takes serious damage. And its STAB knocks out the rest of my team. Though when Melo is behind a sub, it depends on who lands a move first. Like I said, this team just seems to be missing SOMETHING... I'm not arguing against your suggestions, I'm just really trying to spark some conversation and logic. I actually think that being about to outspeed Hoopa is unhelpful unless I opt to run Shadow Ball over Focus Blast, which would then mean I need Hyper Voice over psyshock solely because of Houndoom and Drapion. Typically dark types will beat Meloetta that isn't behind a sub, minus Spiritomb, which almost always beats Melo lacking dazzling gleam. Outspeeding Jolly Absol though is another story. It would also be more or less 50/50 thanks to sucker punch if I were without a sub. I could try Offensive Meloetta if the need for speed were the case. I think that your suggestions are a step in the right direction though. I could take out Tyrantrum and replace it with Flygon, which gives me a water and ground counter just like Tangrowth. Flygon does however, lack grass resist. Perhaps I could run Virizion in place of scrafty and use Zen Headbutt over Stone Edge (for Venusaur mainly). I would probably use Lum Berry, though I could run LO if I felt I needed extra power. Perhaps I could then replace Tyrantrum with Emboar, Houndoom, LO Aero, Scarfed Braviary, Drapion (which could provide toxic spikes and or absorb them), Flygon, or Druddigon. If I ran Flygon, then I may run a mixed variant that purposefully runs Giga Drain just for the purpose of whittling down ground and water counters. (Blastoise, Jellicent, Mega-Lix, Rhyperior, and Alomomola in particular). Roost, EQ, and either dragon breath for utility (30% paralysis) or a move like fire blast or U-turn. The item might have to be life orb, but I think leftovers or rocky helmet could also work depending on spread. Druddigon could also spread Paralysis with glare if I wished to run it. Though I think out of every option, Emboar, Aero/Braviary, Drapion, and Flygon are the best replacements. I honestly like how Flygon and Drapion look in place of Tyrantrum. Aero can also act as a pretty decent revenge killer since it has a pretty good range of coverage. Like fire fang for durant/escavalier or Aqua Tail for Rhyperior and Mega-Lix. Wing Attack would provide STAB and take care of non-scarfed fighting types (Emboar wouldn't outspeed) as well as put a good dent in any grass or bug types. I think that I would be best off running Crunch or Iron Head to cover Psychic types and Fairy Types (Diancie primarily) respectively. But I really think that you're right with Tyrantrum being somewhat redundant as well as the fact that Steelix should carry rocks anyway since it doesn't use the curse-talk set. The reason I didn't run it with curse is solely because I needed to be able to use EQ and Heavy Slam to make sure counters would take the most damage. But yeah, what do you think?

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
There is one small problem with your logic...
I could take out Tyrantrum and replace it with Flygon, which gives me a water and ground counter just like Tangrowth.
This isnt true, at all. Flygon doesnt beat any relevant bulky water so this will just make your team weaker to water types. Recommending tangrowth was more optimal in my eyes since it is the best middle ground to solve your ground and water type issues. Right now your team is clinically walled by any bulky water, particularly mola. You need something to outlast before it outlast your entire team. The other option is that you can run swords dance virizion with zen headbutt but thats a shakier ground resist but it can definitely work.

- On scrafty, longevity over initial power. The whole with chople berry scrafty is so good is because it give you an easier time setting up against a ton of stuff that you can revenge it before it could do anything. Right now it is your dedicated psychic resist and meloetta just looks painful to go against.

- The speed on meloetta isnt just for hoopa, but you wall it and beat eventually cause psyshock aims to its weaker def stat. Jolly absol and adamant hitmonlee are pretty relevant benchmarks this mon should aim more. Psyshock + focus blast leaves you walled by tomb but you have 2 and up to 3 mons to take advantage of that.

- You have steelix and diancie on the same team. Steelix mega is a way better rocker so diancie has the freedom to run an offensive trick room set to give a response towards offense. Rocks diancie and whatever other steelix mega just doesnt really work since one of them has to be a wincon and diancie becoming the wincon is more suited for this team imo. OTR diancie is really good.

- Focus on counterplay. Venusaur is a pain but the point isnt autolosing to it, you have a knock off lure in tangrowth which is very effective cause the moment you see a venusaur on the opposing team 9/10 times it is the venusaur. Scrafty sets up if it uses leaf storm, if it has giga drain over leaf storm meloetta sets up with ease. Etc, etc. Responses, focus on that, you wont hard counters to everything.

There is one small problem with your logic...

This isnt true, at all. Flygon doesnt beat any relevant bulky water so this will just make your team weaker to water types. Recommending tangrowth was more optimal in my eyes since it is the best middle ground to solve your ground and water type issues. Right now your team is clinically walled by any bulky water, particularly mola. You need something to outlast before it outlast your entire team. The other option is that you can run swords dance virizion with zen headbutt but thats a shakier ground resist but it can definitely work.

- On scrafty, longevity over initial power. The whole with chople berry scrafty is so good is because it give you an easier time setting up against a ton of stuff that you can revenge it before it could do anything. Right now it is your dedicated psychic resist and meloetta just looks painful to go against.

- The speed on meloetta isnt just for hoopa, but you wall it and beat eventually cause psyshock aims to its weaker def stat. Jolly absol and adamant hitmonlee are pretty relevant benchmarks this mon should aim more. Psyshock + focus blast leaves you walled by tomb but you have 2 and up to 3 mons to take advantage of that.

- You have steelix and diancie on the same team. Steelix mega is a way better rocker so diancie has the freedom to run an offensive trick room set to give a response towards offense. Rocks diancie and whatever other steelix mega just doesnt really work since one of them has to be a wincon and diancie becoming the wincon is more suited for this team imo. OTR diancie is really good.

- Focus on counterplay. Venusaur is a pain but the point isnt autolosing to it, you have a knock off lure in tangrowth which is very effective cause the moment you see a venusaur on the opposing team 9/10 times it is the venusaur. Scrafty sets up if it uses leaf storm, if it has giga drain over leaf storm meloetta sets up with ease. Etc, etc. Responses, focus on that, you wont hard counters to everything.
Hmm I see your point. I just couldn't wrap my head around it all. I also didn't realize a resisted Psyshock to Hoopa did so much damage. I do really enjoy scrafty though, as opposed to Virizion seeing as Virizion essentially loses to Durant, where boosted Scrafty (albeit with life orb) stands a chance. I think the main reason is that I'm not used to a bulky offensive style. I'm more comfortable using balance, Balanced Offense, or HO. Bulky offense is similar to Balance Offense, just with some slight differences. At least in my interpretation. Also, not that I'm disagreeing with you on this in the slightest, I never said Flygon beat any bulky water type, just that with giga drain it could deal better damage to them from a general point of speaking. In all honesty, beating a bulky water type is not very easy to do without wearing it down a little first. That's what I was trying to get at. Nothing more. If anything I speculate when I think and speak. Thank you again. It's really helpful to actually have some discussion just to better realize and interpret the suggestions, possibly generate more. My apologies if my intentions came across differently.

Hello there COMPLICATED! I feel like your team has a few major weaknesses that could be worked around, I made my own version that I hope to test later so I'll just drop it here:
Your version:

So glaring faults I notice with this squad is offensive fighting types and grass types are terrifying. Tangrowth and Venusaur have no safe switch-ins and a check in Meloetta. Medicham is absolutely terrifying, LO or Scarf. Virizion is absolutely terrifying. To fix this, I made a few changes. Note that I only skimmed the posts that aren't the OP so I may have missed a major change.
My version:
Rest might seem out of place on a team like this but I really like its longevity so I decided to keep it. You could consider Curse but that was more a personal thing I wanted to try.
To be honest, I'm unsure of Diancie's role on this team. Tyrantrum handles Fletchinder, Blastoise covers Delphox and Houndoom, etc. All it really does in my opinion is better handle Emboar and add unwanted ground weaknesses (which btw the original team has no resistance too D:). I added Druddigon because it handles Virizion, still takes on Emboar and helps vs Durant.
I think Earthquake is worthless on Tyrantrum so I changed to Dragon Claw. Helps to revenge kill Virizion w/o locking yourself into Outrage.
Offensive Blastoise is cool I guess but seeing as its here more for its defensive capabilities than offensive I suggest switching to SpDef Blastoise as a more solid answer to Houndoom and Delphox.
Not much to say, though I agree with Aldo Chople Berry is just so much better than LO.
This is probably the biggest change, Sigilyph handles so much this team would otherwise struggle with: Virizion lacking stone edge, Venusaur, Tangrowth, Medicham and so much more. Any good RU team needs a fighting resist D:
Steelix @ Steelixite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Curse
- Rest

Druddigon @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Glare

Tyrantrum @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Dragon Claw

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin
- Dark Pulse

Scrafty @ Chople Berry
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- High Jump Kick
- Iron Tail
- Dragon Dance

Sigilyph @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Calm Mind

Good luck pal!

Last edited:
Hello there COMPLICATED! I feel like your team has a few major weaknesses that could be worked around, I made my own version that I hope to test later so I'll just drop it here:
Your version:

So glaring faults I notice with this squad is offensive fighting types and grass types are terrifying. Tangrowth and Venusaur have no safe switch-ins and a check in Meloetta. Medicham is absolutely terrifying, LO or Scarf. Virizion is absolutely terrifying. To fix this, I made a few changes. Note that I only skimmed the posts that aren't the OP so I may have missed a major change.
My version:
Rest might seem out of place on a team like this but I really like its longevity so I decided to keep it. You could consider Curse but that was more a personal thing I wanted to try.
To be honest, I'm unsure of Diancie's role on this team. Tyrantrum handles Fletchinder, Blastoise covers Delphox and Houndoom, etc. All it really does in my opinion is better handle Emboar and add unwanted ground weaknesses (which btw the original team has no resistance too D:). I added Druddigon because it handles Virizion, still takes on Emboar and helps vs Durant.
I think Earthquake is worthless on Tyrantrum so I changed to Dragon Claw. Helps to revenge kill Virizion w/o locking yourself into Outrage.
Offensive Blastoise is cool I guess but seeing as its here more for its defensive capabilities than offensive I suggest switching to SpDef Blastoise as a more solid answer to Houndoom and Delphox.
Not much to say, though I agree with Aldo Chople Berry is just so much better than LO.
This is probably the biggest change, Sigilyph handles so much this team would otherwise struggle with: Virizion lacking stone edge, Venusaur, Tangrowth, Medicham and so much more. Any good RU team needs a fighting resist D:
Steelix @ Steelixite
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Curse
- Rest

Druddigon @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Glare

Tyrantrum @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Dragon Claw

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin
- Dark Pulse

Scrafty @ Chople Berry
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- High Jump Kick
- Iron Tail
- Dragon Dance

Sigilyph @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Calm Mind

Good luck pal!
Hey, thanks a lot Kableye. I actually made three different versions of my team after posting the RMT. Tangrowth just didn't cut it. Blastoise changed to Scald/Roar/Refresh/Rapid Spin as its set with max hp, 176 def, 80 spdef with a bold nature. It stops sub users from taking advantage of it, which before was an issue. I changed Tyrantrum to Drapion, which helped out tremendously. I laddered to the low 1400s, high 1300s with that. I think that Diancie does need to go, as you said. But I still would need a good rocker that isn't steelix because as you said, the longevity just feels so nice to have with that beast on your side. I like your idea for having sigilyph on the team. But I think that I should run Scarf/Banded Medicham in Scrafty's place (there is essentially nothing that can counter a banded medicham's HJK unless it's a ghost type). I think that I should keep Meloetta just to have a nice bulky sweeper. Thus, Diancie should change to something like Druddigon as you suggested. I'm going to keep remodeling this team until I perfect it. ^.^ I love the ideal basis of it as a bulky offense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)