The Man... (tyke's 4K)

Instead of a traditional XK where I go on a shoutout rampage and alienate anyone I didn't list from the thread, I'd like to instead give you guys a laugh and show you just how much content was in most of these 4,000 posts.

It's been a very long time since I've crossed a thousand post benchmark. 4K posts might imply a lot of activity and a long string of high quality posts given the fact I'm a moderator, but for 3/4ths of my posts, that's entirely the opposite. You see, most of my posts come from a period of six months, from June to December 2007, where I was a much different poster. Allow me to reveal my horrible old reputation for those with accounts too young to have been around for it:

2007 Mantyke joined Smogon eagerly, having asked his parents to register his first email address. Smogon was my first forum of any sorts and... it showed. I have seen numerous terrible posters in all kinds of forums but few surpass just how awful I use to be. 500 posts within the span of a month is a pretty horrific feat, especially when you look at what I was posting.

To start, here are a few examples.

As the months went by, things didn't improve much. I stumbled over to most of the sections on Smogon, shitting up nearly every one. At some point, I ended up getting banned from firebot and endeavored to get my access back in the most idiotic ways possible. From there on out, I settled down in the wifi section. Mind you the old wifi section was a horrendous unmoderated shitstorm of a subforum where threads like mine were in the norm.

I guess I kind of peaked out in December after getting a malicious shoutout in one of Doomsday's old Smogon storybook threads and 3000+ posts. From there on out, I started focusing a lot less on Smogon as new video games like Brawl were just about to hit the stores. Losing interest in Smogon gave me a chance to step back and look at my old posting habits. There was a large period of inactivity between then and now, but I returned to Smogon in 2011 or so trying to be a more level headed and nicer user. I like to think I've accomplished that, to some extent.

So yeah, I'd like this 4K to serve as a reminder to all the down on their luck users that realize they're hated that there's always a place for second chances. Just take the ambition to change your attitude, stop old posting habits, and you can turn around fairly easily.

This thread wouldn't really be much of anything if there wasn't room for you fellows to interact, so tell me Smogon, how were you when you joined? Have any embarrassing first posts you're willing to share?

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
oh my god WHEN did you get all those badges? man remember 2008? I do, and hopefully someone else reading this post will be like "TWIST! Vader and Mantyke have a secret past???" and go scrounging Smogon history to find it, but fail

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Congrats the TheMandyke, it's been awesome seeing you turn it around in such a short amount of time

It would be interesting if you could go more into detail of how you became a better poster, if possible. If it was just a natural transition then whatever. :)

Mantyke, although we don't really know each other (I think the only interaction we've had was you finding the picture pokemonmasterdisaster took from IRC on my profile), I think you're a great poster and an even greater user! I wish you luck in the future :D

It would be interesting if you could go more into detail of how you became a better poster, if possible. If it was just a natural transition then whatever. :)
It's kind of obvious that it happens over time. There's no "general goodposting behavior" because it's different for different people. The more time you spend with internet environments, the more you know.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Or you can be like me and just start off a good poster

Then you won't need to worry about it

Get just one badge, and not be a badge whore like The Man... (tyke)

Anyways, great meeting you at nats, thanks again for your help giving me pokes in time, can't wait to see you in Florida, good luck in Smogon, GT, and Life, all that good stuff

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Real men don't NEED badges.

also I've never been a bad poster, pfft new people...

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Oh man, that was a nice read, TM. To be honest I checked this thread only to see if you gave me a shoutout, but nope. I hate you now and TheMantyke

edit: staring at the post, it looks like i mean i hope you get banned while being a smod. i just meant that you shouldnt get smods.

MANtyke <3
Grats on your turnaround man, it really was massive and you are a superb user now, you then and now seem like totally different people
also, this is truly a model team rater :P

Congrats on the milestone! It's actually interesting reading through your archived stuff, gives me a sense of what Smogon was like when Wi-Fi was first introduced to Pokemon....and how terribly unmoderated the wifi forum was.
Well, your story should be inspirational to all bad posters: going from a nub, to some guy who gives away all of his stuff, to getting mods. Nice.

way to go! i remember sometime last year thinking to myself 'man this dude really fixed his shit, good on him'

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This thread wouldn't really be much of anything if there wasn't room for you fellows to interact, so tell me Smogon, how were you when you joined? Have any embarrassing first posts you're willing to share?
Oh boy. Thanks the the 100 result limit in the search, most of my dark past has been shrouded away, but I was able to find this. I went from one of those people who used "No Fancy Title" as the title of their RMT to someone who is actually decent at the game! A large jump indeed.

Congrats on 4K Mantyke! You are really cool and helped me out a lot with the free VGC mons!

Lol, those posts are funny.

Congrats on the 4K! I don't think I knew you before 2011, so I didn't really get to see your bad quality posts until reading this thread... I never would have thought you used to be like that, so it really shows that you've become a better user. Good for you!

As for me, I don't think I have any bad posts, but I might. :p

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
holy shit you're still here too?

honestly my first posts weren't total dog shit as far as i remember, i think around month 3 the asshole switch in my brain got flipped and 25 infractions later here i am

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
I don't know about second chances, ive had like 25 second chances! xD But yeah, I can relate to a lot of what you said. I was perma banned from firebot, had some threads asking for me being banned permanately, etc. Im sure your a good dude. Grats on the 4k.

oh my god WHEN did you get all those badges? man remember 2008? I do, and hopefully someone else reading this post will be like "TWIST! Vader and Mantyke have a secret past???" and go scrounging Smogon history to find it, but fail
Our little(cf) secret :heart:

hey remember our spriting days

yeah me neither
Of course Mr.Mabw!

I'm surprised I was never infracted for flaming you back then.

It's pretty simple really. Make sure your posts are of tolerable grammar, don't throw your two cents where it's not welcomed or where you're unfamiliar with the subject matter, and try to be helpful.

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I like how this thread implies you improved at some point

I kid, I kid! You're a great user and it's been a pleasure to see you sprout wings and fly and such. Congrats!

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
hahaha, man you were REALLY bad at first

but like Glen said I also noticed your marked improvement, good job on contributing buddy

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Of course Mr.Mabw!

I'm surprised I was never infracted for flaming you back then.
i started laughing then choking at that screenshot (rodan still has me blocked on youtube)

vader still hasn't improved from the old days though, he just did way more drugs

anyway grats i guess now that im here posting in this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)