Project The Next Best Thing (New thread is newer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Emboar @ Choice Band
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Stone Edge / Sleep Talk

Choice Band Emboar is seriously fucking scary. It has access to a high BP STAB move meaning it will break anything not called Rhyperior with Flare Blitz, and its other STAB allows it to break Rhyperior. There is almost no safe switch ins to the this thing, as with its STABs and coverage, it can hit almost everything hard. Stone Edge is purely just coverage that can be good to bypass things like Golbat and Moltres switch-ins without any recoil, while Sleep Talk is an option if you don't have any sleep absorber.

Emboar @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Basically, come in and burn things.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion

Emboar (M) @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Flare Blitz
- Sucker Punch / Superpower / Random Coverage Move

Don't know much about this one, so there are probably better sets. Taking an OU Fire-Type approach though. Taunt + WoW + hazard damages wears down common defensive switch ins such as Alomomola. You can probably run a Specially Defensive spread or Attack EVs though. It's a soft check for a lot of common things actually, such as the Dark-types that threaten your Reuniclus, Slowking or whatever Psychic-type you have, as well as Doublade, Cobalion, Virizion, Durant and Escavalier.

Emboar @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flame Charge
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge / Earthquake

This set is self explanatory, after a Flame Charge boost you outspeed most of the unboosted tier. Flare Blitz and Superpower for STAB, Wild Charge can be used for coverage against annoying Water-types that Emboar can't damage like Jellicent or Earthquake can be used for Delphox and other Fire-types.

Emboar @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Overheat

Overheat unlike Flare Blitz OHKOs both Cobalion and Doublade which i feel is pretty key for offensive teams.
You can use Jolly as it still guarantees the OHKO on SD Cobalion but then you need 5% prior damage to OHKO Doublade and Support Cobalion and the small extra bulk is not needed anyways.
Nothing special but it works

I had this set typed up last night/this morning before Pearl and totoTavros; they didn't snipe me, I sniped them!

Emboar (M) @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Roar
- Flare Blitz

Taunt lets Emboar run over its biggest counter, Alomomola and reduces it to weak Scalds and opens up ton of options. It also lets Emboar beat many other slower walls such as Aromatisse and Amoonguss. WoW + defensive investment lets Emboar beat Doublade, Durant, Escavalier, Cobalion, Virizion, and others. Roar is what sets this Emboar set apart, as it lets Emboar pHaze setup mons and StatusPass WoWs. The xhip damge from Roaring over hazards also helps. Flare Blitz is just strong fire STAB.

And I'm really super pissed I decided to wait before I submited this...at least they didn't post Roar

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
All you snipers taking FatPig. Smh.

Emboar @ Choice Specs
EVs: 92 HP / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Specs Emboar is a pretty cool lure. Maybe not as good as it was in BW since Mixed Pig is a lot more common now, but it can still be pretty cool to use. Set is pretty simple. Fire Blast + Focus Blast are your STAB moves to nail stuff with. Grass Knot does stuff to Water- and Rock-types wanting to get in your way. HP Ice is there basically to OHKO Gligar, which could otherwise eat a Fire Blast and hit back with EQ. EVs outspeed Gligar and maximize Special Attack with the rest going into HP for a little added bulk to tank hits with, since you won't be setting the world on fire with Emboar's Speed.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
y'all ain't even using bigpig correctly

Emboar @ Petaya Berry
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD (or 4 HP, depending on whether you want to focus on powerful Fire Blasts or better Endeavors) / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Flame Charge
- Substitute
- Endeavor
- Fire Blast

ok so basically Emboar generally is pretty fuckin powerful and as a result will usually find a way to force a switch due to its great offensive pressure. Force something out and use Flame Charge to turn bigpig into fastpig. This is where it gets fun though, because you probably outspeed whatever decided to switch in and can now keep on subbing up while it keeps breaking em until you go low enough to activate Blaze and Petaya Berry. At this point your Fire Blast can nuke the opposing mon maybe if it's weakened or doesn't resist Fire (although in that case it'd be a poor Emboar switchin) and otherwise you go for Plan B, which is use Endeavor to get em down way low. This set might not be an excellent sweeper, but it does one thing extremely well, which is become a literal bait for fish, more specifically, this one:

Y'all know how much I love big fish, however, when playing offense it can be a real pain in the neck. This is where this particular Emboar set excels, however, because it is basically the perfect lure for momola. Considering momola is Emboar's best defensive answer in RU, it will gladly stay in once yr opponent realizes you can't damage it, EXCEPT once you subbed down to 1% you can Endeavor and deal big damage to momola before going down, basically making it unusable for the rest of the match if you have either nice hazard support or a Dugtrio that comes in after the kill and shits on the weakened fish.

So like, use it if you hate fish, use it for funsies, use it to lure out a couple more things that I cba to mention and have fun etc

Emboar @ Leftovers
252 HP/252 Spe Def/4 Atk OR 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe def
- Bulk Up/Curse
-
Fire Punch/Flare Blitz
- Hammer Arm
- Wild Charge/Thunder Punch

I tried this set of Emboar like once, in RU TR team, and i was surprised of the quality of this thing.
Remember Sub BU Gallade? Emboar has very close Special Bulk to begin with, 110/65 vs 68/115, and they shares the ability of having a good 2nd Stab ( Even if Sub BU Gallade doesn't use Zen Headbutt/Psycho Cut )
BU Emboar has very cool coverage with Fire/Electric/Fight, allowing it to hit an high amount of pokemons in the tier.
Also, Substitute is an option you can consider in order to avoid Status, but the loss of a coverage move/STAB is pretty annoying.
Lastly, if you're planning on using Emboar in TR Team, you should really consider Hammer Arm.
Hammer Arm has very nice power, almost perfect accuracy, and no Atk and Def drop like Superpower, so it's definitly an option you can consider.
Oh, and with Hammer Arm dropping your speed, you'll avoid getting Spore by Guss after -1 for example, it's a cool thing.

migzoo

new money
Emboar @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive/Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Grass Knot/Wild Charge
- Will-O-Wisp/Toxic

Scarf-status Emboar is a cool thing that I've used a bit. Most switch-ins for Emboar (Gligar, Druddigon, Rhyperior, Slowking, Alomomola, etc.) do not appreciate the being burned or poisoned. Basically, having a status move on a choice set works as a lure in one of two ways. If you reveal that your Emboar is scarfed before revealing your status move, your opponent will not expect the status move. If you reveal the status move before you reveal the scarf, they will assume you are not choiced and you might get a free kill later on, say if they bring in their Dugtrio thinking they'd outspeed.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yagura

I refuse to vote for any variation of BigPig because there's three different variations of it >.>

Leer. His set is a quick good answer vs a common opponent.

Btw, I found bizarre the LC Best Thing is about Magby in the same time. And I haven't seen this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)