Project The Next Best Thing (New thread is newer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not gonna get ninja'd this time

Moltres @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Tailwind

Moltres is at a sort of middle speed tier that lets it outspeed a lot of Pokemon, but puts it at a disadvantage against certain mons such as Virizion and Durant with Stone Edge and Choice Scarfers such as Magneton and Rotom-C. While Scarf is an option, Scarftres can't really run recovery unless you do something like Scarf Roost, which loses momentum. Tailwind also lets Moltres outspeed other Scarfers, as it doubles speed instead of multiplying it 1.5x. The best part, however, is the ability to switch moves while maintaining a high speed, which means that Moltres won't have to switch and lose momentum/possibly HP if Rocks are up and it has to come in again. Edit: Because I forgot to mention this, the advantage over Agility is that if you do have to switch out, your teammate still has the speed boosts Arikado :)

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Leer soooo, agility moltres? that kinda already has a set lol, if tailwind is used mostly for self-benefit then i don't see why you'd use it over agility which lasts until tres is switched out. also ur tres has a serious nature ;o

anyway i don't think there are many good sets that aren't already on the mainsite, unless specs isn't? too lazy to check rn, but here's a set that I've used and was quite good:

Moltres @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- Roost
- U-turn

Regular Life Orb Moltres but with U-turn. What this does is basically hit slowking a bit more to allow something like CB Dugtrio to have a very high chance of killing it afterwards. Additionally, this set can wallbreak and keep momentum all at once, which is different than scarf.

yeah not so creative but it works x_x
can't really think of any set thats not on-site that is good..

Ugh, Moltres is not much versatile, this will be annoying, anyway:

Moltres @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
252 HP/252 Speed/4 Spa
-Tailwind
-U-Turn
-Roost
-Flamethrower

Tailwind might be interesting for Moltres and his partners, due to him sitting at a decent speed tier, having U-turn in order to switch out just after Tailwind, as well as recovery, and a good Special Attak is order to deal decent damage to anything that doesn't resist it. Also, since you don't really care about U-Turn damages.

Leer soooo, agility moltres? that kinda already has a set lol, if tailwind is used mostly for self-benefit then i don't see why you'd use it over agility which lasts until tres is switched out. also ur tres has a serious nature ;o

anyway i don't think there are many good sets that aren't already on the mainsite, unless specs isn't? too lazy to check rn, but here's a set that I've used and was quite good:

Moltres @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- Roost
- U-turn

Regular Life Orb Moltres but with U-turn. What this does is basically hit slowking a bit more to allow something like CB Dugtrio to have a very high chance of killing it afterwards. Additionally, this set can wallbreak and keep momentum all at once, which is different than scarf.

yeah not so creative but it works x_x
can't really think of any set thats not on-site that is good..
Talking about my set being unoriginal and you post a standard move, I use U-turn on half my Moltreses already smh
But thanks for pointing out the nature

nothen personnel kid (Moltres) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Sunny Day

SunnyBeam Moltres is a fucking god. Not only does it takes advantage of Moltres's ability to force out a large portion of the tier and letting it set up a Sunny Day, but it basically plows through every single one of Moltres's answers. Thanks to Sunny Day, it weakens Slowking's Scald and 2HKOs it with a Solar Beam. It also takes care of other answers to Moltres, such as Rhyperior. While Hurricane might seem like a good option, its accuracy becomes too low, and most of the things Hurricane would hit already get smacked by a Sunny Day LO boosted Fire Blast anyway.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello, Arikado! Want to see some real creativity? :)

Moltres @ Grip Claw
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Roost
- Fire Spin

This is a hysterically funny yet amazing Slowking lure. On the predicted Slowking switch-in, you use Toxic, making it take poison damage every turn. The next time it comes in, you use Fire Spin, trapping it. Once trapped, proceed to Roost stall it to death. It can't do more than 59.5%, meaning it needs to get 6 Scalds to kill you.

BREAKDOWN: (comes in with Toxic)
Turn 1: 18.75% (cum. 18.75%)
Turn 2: 25% (cum. 43.75%)
Turn 3: 31.25% (cum. 75%)
Turn 4: 37.5% (cum. 112.5%)
Turn 5: 43.75%
Turn 6: 50%

BREAKDOWN (comes in w/o Toxic, Fire Spin used first):
Turn 1: 12.5% (cum. 12.5%)
Turn 2: 18.75% (cum. 31.25%)
Turn 3: 25% (cum. 56.25%)
Turn 4: 31.25% (cum. 87.5%)
Turn 5: 37.5% (cum. 125%)
Turn 6: 43.75%

Max damage from Slowking Scald = 228; Moltres HP = 383; Roost regains 192. You're losing max 36 HP per turn; over the max 4 turns you'll have to take Scalds, that's 144 HP total lost + 228 Slowking damage = 372 possible damage. However, you usually won't even take that much. 252+ SpA Slowking Scald vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Moltres: 192-228 (50.1 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

With a Grip Claw, the 6 turns are guaranteed; that's why I use it.

Thanks for reading my innovation; have fun spamming the ladder with this!

Last edited:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

SetFireToTheRain (Moltres) @ Damp Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Roost / Fire Blast

>Sunny Day Moltres

Do you even innovate fagets?

Rain Dance Moltres makes for an excellent rain support Pokemon, as it 4x Resists Grass, has excellent bulk, U-turn, and in the rain Hurricane actually hits! It also has good synergy with both Kabutops (can spin for Moltres, absolutely destroys face in rain) and Seismitoad (gets rid of any possible stacked electric weaknesses, also rekts face in rain). Quiet nature is preferred for muh slow U-turn while making Moltres's Hurricane hit extremely hard. The last slot is up to preference, but on a dedicated rain team, roost is most likely better, as it allows it to set up rain multiple times throughout the match, where as if you are using Moltres + a stand alone rain sweeper, Fire Blast still hits very hard. Moltres is also pro for setting rain for a stand alone sweeper, because other rain setters are obvious af, where as no one sees Moltres and expects Rain Dance.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The REAL Sunny Day Moltres imo:

Moltres @ Life Orb / Heat Rock
Timid Nature
- Sunny Day
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Morning Sun

If you're gonna use Sunny Day Moltres, go all the way with Morning Sun imo. Morning Sun is an often-forgotten about recovery move Moltres gets via Pokemon XD and has boosted recovery in sunlight. Instead of the standard 50% Roost gets back, Morning Sun regains 66% of Moltres's max HP in strong sunlight. And with the only auto-weather inducer, Mega Abomasnow unwilling to switch into Moltres due to the threat of Fire Blast, there's little drawback to using the move with Sunny Day. The only drawback really is the low PP, which isn't much of an issue considering Moltres should be spending most of its time bashing heads in. Otherwise, it's the same old Sunny Day Moltres that shits on Slowking / Rhyperior with ease thanks to the newfound ability to use Solar Beam. Fire Blast is a nuke in sun, etc., etc. EVs are obvious and Timid is used so you tie other Moltres and base 90s like Meloetta. Life Orb is better for a standalone set, but Heat Rock can be helpful if Moltres is on a full Sun team.

#FREESWAGGER (Moltres) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Swagger
- Substitute
- Roost
- Fire Blast

HIPSTER MOLTRES(Moltres) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Water]
- Roost

Hidden Power Water Moltres is the most hipster set ever introduced. Not only it hits Rhyperior (which is the only target of Hidden Power Grass anyway as Hurricane hits Water-types stronger) but it can also be Rain boosted by your opponent or by yourself and also takes out the best Moltres counter of all time, Magcargo (yea it can take 2 hurricanes after Stealth Rock lol).
Also you aren't breaking Lantutn with Hidden Power Grass anyway.
Vote for hipster Moltres.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
LOL you guys posting this while I'm asleep. Can't afford to lose this cause waifumon so here we go:

Moltres @ Life Orb / Damp Rock
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hurricane
- Hidden Power [Water]
- TailWIN

Standard RD Moltres, covers Amoonguss holes in Rain teams and does pretty much everything llamas mentioned. However...

Jellicent @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Trick / Hydro Pump

Watch stuff crumble in despair to this little boy here under both Rain and Tailwind. Its Water Spout scores a 2HKO on Amoonguss. Gastrodon gets massively raped by our SOMALIA powers and so on.

This Moltres set can also aid other cool and slow Water-types such as Feraligatr and Samurott, but Jellicent is where we're at.

I heard you guys wanted some moar innovation. Behold this fearsome Moltres set.

Not so blind burd (Moltres) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: NaN Spe
- Substitute
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sky Drop

Now, sub roost Moltres is certainly no new concept, but this has the fun little move Sky Drop added to it. Sky drop is especially nice for stalling extra turns for status damage. While you could go for bonus cool points and run Fly, I have to admit Sky Drop is more helpful for not giving your opponent quite as many free switches and/or opportunities to set up.

Edit: EVs are now 0 with 0 IV as well as a minus nature in speed because I remembered that if an opponent switches into a Sky Drop and they are faster, you do not give them a free turn to move while you drop them. SpD evs are enough to allow a Sub to never break from Alomomola's Scald, and the rest are invested into Defense.

Last edited:
BurningCrusader (Moltres) @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Fire Blast
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Standard Life Orb Moltres with Will-o over HP Grass. Burn switchins like Slowking so that you can 2hko with hurrimiss later if rocks are up.
252+ SpA Life Orb Moltres Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 153-181 (38.9 - 46%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and burn damage

I'm not gonna be too innovative today, cuz all ideas are already stolen rip

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Kawaii Kyouko

Weather is stupid and I can't vote for myself (also, Will-O-Wisp Tres is really cool lol)
e: sun isn't the best b/c 50% Hurricane, rain sucks b/c weak fire stab move

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)