Project The Next Best Thing - ORAS OU Edition V3 - FINISHED

Status
Not open for further replies.
one of the better slates i've seen so going to give my opinion on each of these
Trick Metagross - seems rather decent since you can cripple your normal counters, but scarf jirachi does practically the same thing with similar bulk, higher speed, u-turn, and flinch hax.

Gravity DynamicPunch Mega Metagross - not sure if this man was serious lol, but hone claws + dynamic punch seems way better since you boost your attack too and the boost is not limited to 5 turns. in no way do you benefit from gravity that hone claws doesn't outside of earthquake, but you have dynamic punch coverage regardless.

Power-Up Punch Mega Metagross - i like these types of sets, but it still doesn't solve its coverage issues.

Dual Screens Metagross - uhhhh. no comment i guess?

Bulky Substitute Mega Metagross - very interesting set with bulk. it would be nice if it had access to 101 hp substitutes, but this set honestly struggles with speed. not checking keldeo, terrakion, and losing the speed tie to gengar is kind of pathetic. it has merits though.

Stealth Rock Mega Metagross - ah yes, this set gets up rocks pretty damn easily and threatens every relevant defogger outside of zapdos which can't win if it is specially defensive. definitely, going to be at the top of my list.

Sleep Talk Mega Metagross - saw this is the creative and underrate sets thread. i used it a couple times, completely necessitates dugtrio as a teammate tbh, but if you are willing to do that, then it can put in some work.

Bulky Attacker Mega Metagross - cool set. i would rather use albacore's bulky sub set though.

Lure Mega Metagross - nice set, but i think you went a bit overkill on the coverage lol. you have teammates for a reason.

Band Explosion Metagross - boom

Hone Claws Mega Metagross - this is really, really fresh. set up an hone claws and dynamic punch can not only hit, but let you hax by rotom-w, hippowdon, skarmory, landorus-t, etc.?

Refresh Mega Metagross - good against bulky teams, but resttalk outclasses it.

Bulky Metagross - put my opinion on this. use mega or no one is going to vote for this.

Weather Metagross - this dude is honestly at another level than me using weather metagross in ou. replays please.

Magnet Rise Mega Metagross - pretty damn good set, but i would use hone claws. still at the top of my list.

Mixed LO Metagross - use magic's variant: higher speed, no recoil giving away your set's purpose, and bulk
so yea, was a toss up between bulky substitute, hone claws, magic's mix, and stealth rock. wish i could vote for both hone claws and stealth rock, but i can only do one so i am going for hone claws metagross

Mixed LO Metagross - use magic's variant: higher speed, no recoil giving away your set's purpose, and bulk
I do concede the advantages of Magic's set, which is also very good, in the sense that it's a bit bulkier, faster, and doesn't have recoil, but the set I used functions better overall as a lure and importantly can be used to support a Mega that likes Steels and physical walls removed, like Mega Pinsir. Grass Knot from Mega Metagross actually struggles with Slowbro without Stealth Rock and you can never 2HKO Skarmory with Thunder Punch (unless you use a +Atk nature) even with Stealth Rock, which could be important at keeping hazards on/off the field. The Speed is not really an issue, because it takes care of what it needs to and still checks the Lati twins pretty well with its still good bulk. My set also has no issues with Heatran and cannot be set up on by Mega Scizor or Ferrothorn. Just thought I'd explain why I posted my set even after I saw Magic's set.

Gravity DynamicPunch Mega Metagross - not sure if this man was serious lol, but hone claws + dynamic punch seems way better since you boost your attack too and the boost is not limited to 5 turns. in no way do you benefit from gravity that hone claws doesn't outside of earthquake, but you have dynamic punch coverage regardless.
Of course I was serious
Gravity reduces evasion by 2 stages, hc boosts accuracy by 1, i.e. you get more accurate dynamicpunches. Also I don't think I'd be staying in 5 turns unless the opponent has already lost in which case it doesn't really matter what set I am running.

Gravity also helps your teammates compared to hone claws which is a one-man show so I just thought I'd try to explain it a bit. Spikes support, Thunder, Hydro Pumps, all hit better in Gravity.

:))

Of course I was serious
Gravity reduces evasion by 2 stages, hc boosts accuracy by 1, i.e. you get more accurate dynamicpunches. Also I don't think I'd be staying in 5 turns unless the opponent has already lost in which case it doesn't really matter what set I am running.

Gravity also helps your teammates compared to hone claws which is a one-man show so I just thought I'd try to explain it a bit. Spikes support, Thunder, Hydro Pumps, all hit better in Gravity.

:))
Great set IMO. Makes Scarf Lando truly terrifying as well

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
The Winner of Week 23 goes to The Haymaker's Mixed LO Metagross! Congratz for entering the Hall of Fame!

The Pokemon for Week 23 is Alakazam!
/

Mega Alakazam has an ridiculous power having a barely higher Special Attack than Kyurem-White and being one of the fastest Pokemon in the tier, speed tying with Mega Aerodactyl. This does sound good on paper, however Mega Alakazam is very frail in it's Defense making it vulnerable to Physical moves; because of this, this makes Mega Alakazam pretty hard to directly switch in. Also Mega Alakazam needs good team support to function well against its checks and counters.

P.S. Check the SmogDex before making your post to make sure it's not on there...​

Torment Zam

Alakazam @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Torment
- Taunt / Substitute / Protect
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

Building alternate sets for Alakazam is weird, considering Taunt + Encore is already listed under Other Options, and virtually every option including one or two of Dazzling Gleam, Knock Off or TWave isn't exactly uncommon anymore. Flame Orb + Trick/Psycho Shift is something we see in this thread with literally every compatible fast Psychic, so I'll pass on that (even though passing burns is surprisingly good against Bisharp and Ttar).

Torment + Taunt is an interesting move pairing, capable of forcing out a very large variety of defensive checks by potentially locking them out of their only offensive move every other turn, forcing a Struggle. This works wonders against Taunt bait like Chansey, but also does very well against things like SpdefTran, Unaware Clefable and Skarmory, given the opportunity. Granted, this isn't always the case, as things like TankChomp regularly run 2 or 3 attacks, for example. Substitute and Protect are also equally viable options here, in that Substitute is primarily to mess with checks that are slower than you, like Bisharp (or basically anything with Sucker Punch), and Protect makes a Choice-locked enemy move whiff, forcing them to Struggle next turn, giving you a turn of sweet, sweet momentum.

Psych Up

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psych Up
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball / Dazzling Gleam et al

Psych Up is a nice option to safeguard Zam's team against common special stat boosters (Manaphy, Serperior, Clefable, Raikou, Slowbro, BP Celebi). Advantages over Encore include being much less prediction reliant, beating Serperior, and threatening to counter-sweep in some circumstances.

+3 252 SpA Alakazam Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Manaphy: 334-394 (97.9 - 115.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
+3 252 SpA Alakazam Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 352-415 (89.3 - 105.3%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252 SpA Alakazam Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 280-331 (96.2 - 113.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

etc

First three moves are compulsory; as usual the final coverage option is customisable to the team's weaknesses, but Shadow Ball is the best general purpose option.

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Alakazam @ Life Orb / Alakazite
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Knock Off
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast

KOff Zam is a pretty cool set because it is able to remove Chansey's Eviolite and 2HKO it with Psyshock 100% of the time, preventing Chansey from being able to take it on and allowing it to completely dick on stall. Gleam is used to take out Sab, who is commonly paired with Chansey and walls it otherwise.

252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Chansey: 347-409 (54 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Alakazam Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Chansey: 324-382 (50.4 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
reserving magic coat zam
WHY IS DISABLE LISTED IN OTHER OPTIONS :(((
Its fine to do stuff in OO. Just so long as you don't blatantly copy the standard set it should be fine

Last edited:
Alakazam @ Flame Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spd
- Trick
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Fire

This set is your sweeper who also has the ability to cripple any switch-in in 2 ways, by stealing it's item and burning it. This could be critical if a Pokémon like Crawdaunt or Scizor try to switch in and priority Alakazam to death. In addition, allowing Alakazam to sustain a burn itself protects it from Klefki T-Wave and and sleep moves from Breloom or Venusaur. HP Fire is for Scizor and Klefki that Alakazam is now able to take on.

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Def
- Counter
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

A nice variation of the Revenge Killer set. Instead of using T-Wave to cripple a Zard-X sweep or something along those lines, you can simply KO it and any other mon like Excadrill by using Counter. Focus Sash obviously so that you can take any hit without having to worry about sash being broken because of Magic Guard. 0 Def IV's with a Hasty nature so that you can take more damage from weaker attacks like Rapid Spin if the opponent decides to Spin against you and deal more damage back with Counter. Sure while this set doesn't really deal well with special sweepers like Volcarona, you will hopefully have other mons that are easily able to handle special attackers, as this set is best suited for physically offensive sweepers like Excadrill who are very prevalent in the meta right now.
Really hate to be that person, but Counter and Magic Guard are illegal with each other. :c

Future Sight Alakazam

Alakazam @ Alakazite
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Future Sight

General idea: This works the same way as Future Sight Reuniclus/Slowking/Slowbro does, but with higher Spe and power behind its moves. Thanks to the good amount of switches it provides upon entering in the battlefield, it has the opportunity to use a free Future Sight. The most notable thing about Future Sight is that it isn't blanked immediately if the opponent switched into a Dark type: if you are able to kill it/force it out you will have a 120 base power STAB coming from an high attack. If that Dark type is Bisharp (read: Sucker Punch or Pursuit), it's your fault not having dealt with it before.
The idea is that you use a very powerful Future Sight and, on the following turns, send in something like Bisharp or Tyranitar which is threatened by things which really does not want to stomach a Future Sight to the face (i.e. Fighting types).

The sheer power of Future Sight requires less additional support from hazards to do some OHKOs and some nice 2HKOs:
252 SpA Mega Alakazam Future Sight vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Venusaur: 420-494 (115.3 - 135.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Alakazam Future Sight vs. 252 HP / 120 SpD Amoonguss: 512-606 (118.5 - 140.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Alakazam Future Sight vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Keldeo: 356-422 (110.2 - 130.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Alakazam Future Sight vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 246-289 (61.3 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Alakazam Future Sight vs. 12 HP / 4 SpD Serperior: 255-301 (86.7 - 102.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO (and Serperior runs Life Orb)
252 SpA Mega Alakazam Future Sight vs. 252 HP / 84+ SpD Clefable: 223-264 (56.5 - 67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Alakazam Future Sight vs. 96 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tornadus-T: 178-211 (55.1 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Team(mates) support: a way to deal with Pursuit users is mandatory such as the musketeers (Cobalion, Terrakion, Keldeo; Virizion is not OU) and, in general, a way to scare out from the field Dark types (i.e. Tyranitar, Bisharp) and Psychic resists.

Last edited:
wikid smaat ked (Alakazam) @ Focus Sash Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Magic Coat
- Counter
- Encore

Now, THIS is the set right here. Trick room 0 speed alakazam is able to outspeed OUs largest threats, including scarf Landous therian and mega charizard. Encore allows for EASE in the process of beating stall, by baiting those pesky Clefable who try to set up on you. Just own them like a 1 2 3.
Magic Coat is simply superb to stop lead Heatran from owning your team with bully rocks, all while reversing the bullying. Now, the enemy will switch in his mandibular to Defog his own bully rocks, but not after foul playing you. HOWEVER, predict this and dink him with counter at which point he forfeits in anger.

Alakazam @ Flame Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spd
- Trick
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Fire

This set is your sweeper who also has the ability to cripple any switch-in in 2 ways, by stealing it's item and burning it. This could be critical if a Pokémon like Crawdaunt or Scizor try to switch in and priority Alakazam to death. In addition, allowing Alakazam to sustain a burn itself protects it from Klefki T-Wave and and sleep moves from Breloom or Venusaur. HP Fire is for Scizor and Klefki that Alakazam is now able to take on.
I really like this concept but why not Psycho Shift? Sure, it's more predictable, but you won't ever be burning Mega Scizor otherwise, who is admittedly a lot more common than the now somewhat uncommon Scizor. It also ensures Klefki still can't paralyze you because it will always move first with priority T-Wave. It can also lift a paralysis if you happen to mispredict and end up paralyzed by something like Celebi or Clefable. Sure, you don't get another item, but that also eliminates the risk of getting something you don't want and allows you to burn more than one Pokemon.

I really like this concept but why not Psycho Shift? Sure, it's more predictable, but you won't ever be burning Mega Scizor otherwise, who is admittedly a lot more common than the now somewhat uncommon Scizor. It also ensures Klefki still can't paralyze you because it will always move first with priority T-Wave. It can also lift a paralysis if you happen to mispredict and end up paralyzed by something like Celebi or Clefable. Sure, you don't get another item, but that also eliminates the risk of getting something you don't want and allows you to burn more than one Pokemon.
Psycho Shift is more common, and I wanted this to be different. And besides, the only item that would be bad for Alakazam to get is a Choice Band. Assault Vest just wont let you Trick again, and Scarf and Specs Alakazam are both still viable. Items are one of the most important part of the metagame, so Alakazam can ruin it.

Plus if Alakazam started using Psycho Shift, Sigilyph would get jealous :-P

Psycho Shift is more common, and I wanted this to be different...and Scarf and Specs Alakazam are both still viable
I have to say...I've never played against a Psycho Shift 'Zam. And actually getting any Choice item makes Alakazam's Psyshock or Focus Blast very risky. Dark or Ghosts can set-up, depending on what move you use, and HP Fire is just too weak to get locked into. I mean Trick has a few advantages, but overall I don't see it being as useful in the long run.

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
gdi, AD impish john is an idiot by forgetting to do Voting for Week 23...again...HERE ARE YOUR CHOICES:

Torment Zam
Psych Up Alakaam
Knock Off Alakazam
Flame Orb Alakazam
Future Sigh Alakazam
Trick Room Alakazam

Voting Ends in 48 Hours...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)