Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Destiny Bond

With excellent speed and special attack, a fantastic largely-unresisted STAB and great coverage options, scarf Gengar makes an excellent revenge killer and late-game cleaner once resists and priority users have been weakened/removed. The surprise factor works extremely well in your favour as usual checks such as Weavile and Alakazam become complete liabilities. Due to its speed tier it outspeeds pretty much all other scarfers too. Destiny bond also serves as an emergency surprise check for the likes for CharX at +1 and other setup sweepers so try not to reveal the set until the late game. Seriously try it, it seems gimmicky but it's so unprepared for it's not even funny and can quickly turn a match on its head. Obviously surprise factor is the main draw so try to keep the scarf hidden as long as possible.

Last edited:
Reflect type Offensive Support Gengar

Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Reflect Type
- Will o' Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave

General idea: Gengar is generally weak to pursuit users such as Bisharp, Weavile, and Tyranitar which are all able to create annoying 50-50 situations BUT Reflect type can help to deal with them without the high-risk Focus Blast (if you miss it you will lose Gengar) and I pretend to use Will o' Wisp (85% accuracy is much more than 70%) to support our team on the physical side and it is useful even towards many AV users putting a timer on them from base 110 Spe.
It is a set reliant on prediction but I think it can be useful.

EVs spread: the same of the LO offensive Gengar.

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Icy Wind Lead Gengar

Gengar @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty / Mild Nature
- Icy Wind
- Shadow Ball
- Counter
- Taunt / Destiny Bond / Focus Blast

This is a gem from back in the days of gen 4 OU which I will occasionally use if i wanna mess with people's heads. Leads aren't that good anymore, but its funny to watch people gawk when they think their ScarfTar has trapped you only to proceed to eat a Counter in return. Your choice of nature is dependent on if you have Focus Blast or not (hint: Mild is better with Blast for almost guaranteeing the KO on Tran and allowing you to retain your sash in lead matchups v.s. SpD Tran. Icy Wind is the ral star of the show here though, as it allows Gengar to break any potential sashes of leads and slow them down to pick off its targets with Shadow Ball.

Last edited:
Wrecked at least a few guys with Curse + SubSplit before giving it up as a bad set :(

Dazzling Gleam Gengar

Gengar @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Taunt
- Sludge Wave / Focus Blast / Will-o-wisp

Stall commonly relies on M-Sableye to handle Life Orb Gar, since Shadow Ball never 2HKO's the standard specially defensive spread. Dazzling Gleam comfortably 2HKO's and can be a useful mod for teams which need a way to pressure or lure M-Sab:

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Dazzling Gleam vs. 248 HP / 144+ SpD Mega Sableye: 161-192 (53.1 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 144+ SpD Mega Sableye: 121-144 (39.9 - 47.5%) -- 47.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Dazzling Gleam also gives a reliable 2HKO on RockyChomp, and even things like Bisharp and ScarfTar (if Sludge Wave is being used in the final moveslot). The choice between Wave, Focus Blast and Wisp is team-dependent, of course. I like Sludge Wave on offensive teams centred around things like M-Medicham (e.g. which appreciate Fairies and M-Sab being pressured and can come in against Darks and things like Ferro or Heatran), whereas the other options are better suited to balanced teams I guess.

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Gengar @ Black Sludge
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Focus Blast
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute

This is a pretty cool gengar set that can be very effective given good prediction. It can sub up as your opponent switches out a pokemon. Then, Gengar can either burn it if it is a physical attacker or a mon that threatens gengar or blast it with its perfect neutral coverage in between hex and focus blast. When gengar has spread willowisp to most of the opposing team, it can really do a lot of damage with hex. Vs fat balance teams, this set preforms extremely well if it can burn a lot of shit, and can still do a lot of damage to most switch ins with focus blast.

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ya hexgar rlly f*cks stall over. Pretty standard set but super underrated regardless.

Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Knock Off

Knock Off is a pretty cool option that allows Gengar to remove AV from Tornadus and importantly Eviolite from Chansey so they can't consistently check what they should. Removing LO's and Lefties on switch-in is pretty great as well.

reserving sub pain split gengar

Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Pain Split
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

Good set versus stall teams that lack Chesnaught (is that even a thing?). You just sub up and then proceed to threaten as many pokemons as possible with Shadow Ball and Focus Blast; Pain Split grants a somewhat reliable form of recovery, as Life Orb recoil and Substitute can wear down Gengar pretty quickly. You can also use Sludge Wave over Shadow Ball if you like to get walled by Mega Sableye or Taunt over Substitute.

Last edited:
Reserving Sub Curse Gengar

Gengar @ Black Sludge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Curse
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp/Focus Blast/Pain Split

Tfw u thought of a god set after posting dis :[. Anyways I have no idea what I was trying to go with dis. Basically curse hurts if u continued to stay in. Get a Sub, Curse then wisp or focus miss or pain split the foe.

Last edited:

Gengar @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Focus Blast

Pretty cool Gengar set that nukes plenty of mons. MSab is easily 2HKO'd by Shadow Ball, and even though you are restricted with Choice Specs, Gengar still destroys stall. Since it has Levitate, it doesn't get worn down by Skarm's Spikes (hazards aside from Rocks in general) and can come in and basically get a kill on any Pokemon if predicted correctly. Trick is used to cripple troublesome mons, such as Clefable, Chansey, Skarmory, Chomp, Manaphy, etc. With the combination of Focus Blast, you can put some damage on mons like Chansey, bulky dark types such as Tyranitar, and more.
252 SpA Choice Specs Gengar Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 202-238 (31.5 - 37.1%) -- 80.1% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sableye: 174-205 (57.2 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skarmory: 177-208 (52.9 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Gengar Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 520-612 (129 - 151.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 132 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tornadus-T: 169-201 (50.9 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 132 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tornadus-T: 144-169 (43.3 - 50.9%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
Icy Wind Lead Gengar

Gengar @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty / Mild Nature
- Icy Wind
- Shadow Ball
- Counter
- Taunt / Destiny Bond / Focus Blast

This is a gem from back in the days of gen 4 OU which I will occasionally use if i wanna mess with people's heads. Leads aren't that good anymore, but its funny to watch people gawk when they think their ScarfTar has trapped you only to proceed to eat a Counter in return. Your choice of nature is dependent on if you have Focus Blast or not (hint: Mild is better with Blast for almost guaranteeing the KO on Tran and allowing you to retain your sash in lead matchups v.s. SpD Tran. Icy Wind is the ral star of the show here though, as it allows Gengar to break any potential sashes of leads and slow them down to pick off its targets with Shadow Ball.
Will likly never matter but 4 Evs to Hp has no draw back to abusing counter.

Dumb set I used to use

Sub
Disable
Wisp

Something I'd pair with heatran in Ubers. But i replaced it because it didn't stop enough threats even if let's You stall some stuff out enough to be crippled or blown away

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
Voting will start now and will end in 48 Hours! Here are you choices:

Choice Scarf Gengar
Reflect Type Gengar
Icy Wind Lead Gengar
Dazzling Gleam Gengar
Hex Gengar
Knock Off Gengar
Sub Pain Split Gengar
Sub Curse Gengar
Choice Specs Gengar

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
The Winner for Week 14 goes to Kid Magic's Knock Off Gengar! Congratulations for entering the Hall of Fame!

The Pokemon for Week 15 goes to Reuniclus!

Reuniclus is probably one of the most underrated Pokemon in Bulk and Offense while having a vast movepool making it a interesting threat to deal against. Also if you haven't looked at the Hall of Fame recently it has been going through a Green and Purple phase, lol. P.S. Have a Merry Christmas :]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)