Project OU Theorymon [Voting: Check Post #3272]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Mega Aggron's gonna win this by a landslide. I was torn between it and Garchomp, so I'm gonna go root for the underdog in order to make this a bit less of a curbstomp. (Also, the monkey's cancer and the rat sucks.)

Mega Garchomp + Intimidate.

Mega Garchomp + Intimidate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a separate note, I'd like to give you guys some thoughts. We've been having a problem with users submitting overpowered / flavorless / boring theorymons, so I've created a list of what the theorymon council will look for in submissions. We reject a lot of ideas, but we also accept a lot of them as well! Let's spruce up our ideas!
  • Is the buff a mindless offensive or defensive buff?
    • We do not want to see Aerilate Noivern, nor do we want to see Fur Coat Blissey.
  • Does the buff change a mechanic?
    • As cool as it would be to have Meloetta-Piroutte, the point of this project is to buff Pokemon and not tweak mechanics.
  • Does the buff have flavor to it?
    • Obviously we will stretch flavor at times, but we do not want Shell Smash Aurorus because you think it can smash the rocks on its body. It can't!
  • How does the buff affect the OU Metagame?
    • At the end of the day, this is our purpose. Does this Pokemon positively influence it? Negatively?
  • Is your buff worth it?
    • Minor buffs like say Sheer Force Porygon sounds great and all, but do these changes affect the Pokemon enough to make it viable?
  • Going off of the last bullet, please re-read the first bullet.
    • Re-read it! >:I
  • Has it been slated before?
    • This is important, yet some people do not check beforehand. It's a quick search, so please do!
I want to expand on a few of these for those that are misinformed in any way, shape, or form.

In a nutshell, what asks is, "has any serious thought been put into this submission?" Does it take on a whole host of new threats because of the buff, or is it just a simple power/defense boost that lets it hit everything harder? Examples of mindless buffs would be slapping Adaptability, Tinted Lens, Protean, Huge Power (and clones), Fur Coat, and immunity-granting abilities. If you want to prove that a buff is not mindless, you need to show that the addition of the aforementioned abilities/buffs allows the Pokemon in question to take on a series of new things and fill a completely different niche than before.

This is something that people just loooooove to bandwagon on in this thread. To be honest, we don't take flavor extremely seriously, but we do ask that the buff doesn't contradict flavor. Don't send us Forretress or Escavalier with Flash Fire. Why the fuck would a Steel/Bug bug be immune to fire? unfixable 's Shell Smash Aurorus is another good example of contradictory flavor.

Really, the most important part to cover here is, "does this buff negatively affect OU?" We have taken things off the slate before because this flew past us. As a result, we're pretty hesitant to accept anything majorly negative. If something OHKO's/2HKOs the tier and outspeeds the entire tier with little to no setup, consider it unhealthy. We don't want to break the metagame.

That's all for now. Thanks guys.

Sun King

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)