Project OU Theorymon [Voting: Check Post #3272]

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Tbh I think people are underestimating Sandlash. If it is chosen, I don't think it will be the go-to sand sweeper (although it very well could be). In my opinion, it's best set would be a Band 1K arrows set that wallbreaks stuff such as Skarmory, Rotom-Wash, and Bronzong to rip open holes for Excadrill to come in and sweep later. It just has to weaken or kill Excadrill's checks, and it's done its job. There isn't much that can wall both Sandslash and Excadrill so they can break down the other one's checks and counters until one of them can finish up.

Tbh I think people are underestimating Sandlash. If it is chosen, I don't think it will be the go-to sand sweeper (although it very well could be). In my opinion, it's best set would be a Band 1K arrows set that wallbreaks stuff such as Skarmory, Rotom-Wash, and Bronzong to rip open holes for Excadrill to come in and sweep later. It just has to weaken or kill Excadrill's checks, and it's done its job. There isn't much that can wall both Sandslash and Excadrill so they can break down the other one's checks and counters until one of them can finish up.
A band set would be pretty good actually, he would have decent power combined with decent bulk while not needing to set up. It would work like dark spam/bird spam I guess. Ground spam sounds weird though.

After looking at some calcs the band set is quite underwhelming, missing out on OHKOs on skarmory, and slowbro
and fails to nab 2HKOs on gyarados,, scizor, land-t (scarf), and gliscor.
all the mean while hippo, chesnaught, alomala, tangrowth, and quagsire shit on it and excadrill so it doesn't break down to many of drillers checks. He does kill rotom and zapdos so that's good.
I do think it would be better in practice however due to them having to switch into both Driller and Slash's attacks and in turn wearing them down. Slash would most likelly rise to UU with this buff and be like a C/C- on the viability rankings due to it being able to take A HIT and rapid spin support while being able to provide support for sand teams, while not the best however.

Last edited:
Wow never thought about that. Slash makes a great partner on sand getting rid of Skarm. Does TA bypass Levitate on Rotom-W as well?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Thousand Arrows bypasses all Ground immunities and even removes them from the target until they switch out.

Patolegend!

Fan of 1000 Arrow 'Slash
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Man it's so disappointing that after the monster post I made earlier, people are so quick to put down Sandslash. Yes it has less speed than Driller, yes it has less attack. But... it combines mold breaker driller and Sand Rush driller into one for most sakes and purposes, the best of both worlds.

3º Sandslash + Thousand Arrows Mold excadrill with worst speed and atk imo, but hit skar and landorus

i like sand rush + arrows, but sandslash has no steel resistences make him a quite frail
You can't discount it like this without taking into account that it now doesn't share a fighting weakness with TTar, it loses a mach punch weakness, while trading it for Ice Shard, which isn't that popular at the minute anyway.

The thing is, while he would be scary at +2 but I feel like it would be hard for Slash to get that without being toxiced by stall or without dying to offense, while Excadrill has an easier time due to its steel typing. What exactly would Slash be able to set up on, and without the calc of skarm+Bronzong, what does he really break through? Because he's not breaking past the other mons as he would have to set up the turn they switch in. Not to mention that Excadrill's Iron Head out-damages Slash's Thousand Arrows, on every thing that is not a steel type, so he is absolutely out classed.
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Sandslash Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Landorus-T: 278-329 (87.1 - 103.1%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Landorus-T: 305-360 (95.6 - 112.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
Driller has better typing, and a secondary STAB that allows him to do much more than Slash could ever dream. And if you are that concerned about beating Lando+Gliscor, run Air Ballon (which provides great utility) +1 252+ Atk Excadrill Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Landorus-T: 235-277 (73.6 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
and if skarm is a problem run a Magnezone as mag has much more offensive and defensive utility.
Not to mention the knock of argument is pretty garbage, as the most relavant things to hit with knock off are the Latis, who still die to +2 driller (with Air ballon still)
+2 252+ Atk Excadrill Iron Head vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Latias: 322-381 (100.9 - 119.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Sandslash Earthquake vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Latias: 382-450 (119.7 - 141%) -- guaranteed OHKO
The only thing that Slash has over driller is having a more spamable move. Also due to Slash's low speed he has to run basically max speed (248 speed evs) to outpace lando t in sand. I will say he does have better defense than I thought however, as defensive Lando T EQ isn't a guaranteed 2HKO. His special defense is horrible though :)
Ok, you make some good points, but forget the benefits that it offers are incredible. Sand driller has to drop SD or Rock Slide to get past Rotom-w, and just can't get past Skarm at all, whereas Sandslash Shits on them both from a great height. Zapdos is another that it takes care of, along with Balloon tran, and any offensive Driller check you can think of.

Driller isn't getting past Chesnaught easily, where Sandslash can SD as it comes in, then wreck its face with Aerial Ace. Slash has better coverage.

Knock off is mainly for the latis, granted; but Slash isn't that bothered, because it can ACTUALLY spam its Stab move, where steel coverage is balls.

Balloon Driller Iron Head is also less powerful than Slash TA.

The calcs I've shown show that it has enough power to destroy at +2, which it's getting to against Altaria, choiced Keldeo SS, and Clefable from S, Landorus, Gliscor, Klefki, and a host of 'mons that it scares out, like Rotom-W.

It has enough speed out of Sand to outspeed Sp.Def Heatran and all Stall mons, and aside from Quagsire, it beats most current stall mons.
-------------------------------------------------------
Slash isn't supposed to replace Driller - Driller in the sand is one of the best mons in OU.

It provides an alternative to Driller, or an excellent teammate to it - Pair it up with driller and burn support from Talon/mew, and wreck house.

Let's not forget that this project is designed to make 'mons viable in OU, not to have them go all mega Rayquaza!

I
Man it's so disappointing that after the monster post I made earlier, people are so quick to put down Sandslash. Yes it has less speed than Driller, yes it has less attack. But... it combines mold breaker driller and Sand Rush driller into one for most sakes and purposes, the best of both worlds.

You can't discount it like this without taking into account that it now doesn't share a fighting weakness with TTar, it loses a mach punch weakness, while trading it for Ice Shard, which isn't that popular at the minute anyway.

Ok, you make some good points, but forget the benefits that it offers are incredible. Sand driller has to drop SD or Rock Slide to get past Rotom-w, and just can't get past Skarm at all, whereas Sandslash Shits on them both from a great height. Zapdos is another that it takes care of, along with Balloon tran, and any offensive Driller check you can think of.

Driller isn't getting past Chesnaught easily, where Sandslash can SD as it comes in, then wreck its face with Aerial Ace. Slash has better coverage.

Knock off is mainly for the latis, granted; but Slash isn't that bothered, because it can ACTUALLY spam its Stab move, where steel coverage is balls.

Balloon Driller Iron Head is also less powerful than Slash TA.

The calcs I've shown show that it has enough power to destroy at +2, which it's getting to against Altaria, choiced Keldeo SS, and Clefable from S, Landorus, Gliscor, Klefki, and a host of 'mons that it scares out, like Rotom-W.

It has enough speed out of Sand to outspeed Sp.Def Heatran and all Stall mons, and aside from Quagsire, it beats most current stall mons.
Slash isn't supposed to replace Driller - Driller in the sand is one of the best mons in OU.

It provides an alternative to Driller, or an excellent teammate to it - Pair it up with driller and burn support from Talon/mew, and wreck house.

Let's not forget that this project is designed to make 'mons viable in OU, not to have them go all mega Rayquaza!
I do understand that Slash would more likelly be used as support rather than a sweeper, but he very well could be one. I will probably vote for him just due to the novelty of the 1k arrows. He does help with skarm/rotom, but as a single mon he isn't the best. Not saying that a Driller+Slash core wouldn't be powerful though, cuz that shit would. The buff would defiantly provide him with viability in OU though, however as a mon himself he would be in line for UU more than OU. (I totally forgot about balloon tran though :])

Last edited:
Probably isn't too relevant, but does thousand arrows go past air ballon? I can't really think of anything that would want to hold a ballon to beat slash but it just crossed my mind.

Patolegend!

Fan of 1000 Arrow 'Slash
Probably isn't too relevant, but does thousand arrows go past air ballon? I can't really think of anything that would want to hold a ballon to beat slash but it just crossed my mind.
Balloon Tran is used as a check to Exca, but would get destroyed by Slash. So do magnet rise pokes like Klefki :)

Do all the calls involving Thousand Arrows remember that the damage is neutral against the target the first time it hits?
Because that would make a huge difference as it means Sandslash cannot OHKO ground weak pokemon that are floating and would have to either hit them as they switch in and then again (as the second hit would be SE) or tank a hit and then hit SE the second turn.

Patolegend!

Fan of 1000 Arrow 'Slash
Do all the calls involving Thousand Arrows remember that the damage is neutral against the target the first time it hits?
Because that would make a huge difference as it means Sandslash cannot OHKO ground weak pokemon that are floating and would have to either hit them as they switch in and then again (as the second hit would be SE) or tank a hit and then hit SE the second turn.
What do you mean? As far as I can tell, it just works as if gravity was in place, while also having the added Smack Down-like affect:

Bulbapedia said:
Thousand Arrows inflicts damage. Despite being a Ground-type move, it can damage Flying-type Pokémon, Pokémon with Levitate, Pokémon holding an Air Balloon, and Pokémon affected by Magnet Rise or Telekinesis.
Thousand Arrows removes the effects of Magnet Rise and Telekinesis. Thousand Arrows makes its target vulnerable to Ground-type moves and Arena Trap even if it is Flying-type or has Levitate. This effect lasts until the affected Pokémon switches out. This effect does not occur if the target is behind a substitute.

Thousand Arrows can hit Pokémon during the semi-invulnerable turns of Fly, Bounce, and Sky Drop, and if it does it will deal double damage. If it hits a Pokémon that is using Fly or Bounce, it will knock it down, cancelling the move; if it hits a Pokémon using or affected by Sky Drop, it will not be knocked down. A Pokémon hit with Thousand Arrows can still use these moves on subsequent turns.
This would mean that Rotom-W and Skarm do get hit super-effectively, even on the first hit.

Oh one more thing Thousand Arrows doesn't work like we thought it worked.
Instead of being super effective on pokes like Zapdos or Talonflame it knocks them to the ground. So turn one it just knocks them down turn two it starts being super effective. I'm unsure how it works on say a levitate Registeel.
Yes it does neutral damage on the first turn. I'm not sure I'll go find a Tropius and get back to you, but I'd imagine it's not very effective against tropius.

I just found a Tropius the attack didn't say it was not very effective so I guess turn one it always does neutral damage to flying pokes. I did kill it though so IDK how turn 2 would be for it but most likely NVE
Uselesscrab I just tested it against a wild Tynamo it did hit him super effectively
From Balanced Hackmons tread. What it means is that Flying pokemon are hit Neutrally by the first use of Thousand Arrows regardless of their actual weakness to ground. However, later uses will be Super Effective (Or Not Very Effective or Neutral depending on type). However Levitating and balloon pokemon will be hit Super Effectively from the start.

Trevenant + Prankster: Yet another Prankster Ghost? As far as I know, Trevenant was only usable due to the Harvest + Sitrus Berry spam during the early days of X and Y. Taking away this quality means it has no reliable recovery since it doesn't learn Synthesis (no, Horn Leech and Leech Seed don't count). This leaves it with only Prankster WoW which seems pretty meh.

Umbreon + Magic Bounce: We finally got a bulky Magic Bounce user (laughs at Xatu, Espeon, Mega Absol and Mega Diancie). With Magic Bounce, Umbreon can separate itself from Sylveon and be able to be a better team supporter since it does a lot of work that Chansey can while having Mega Sableye's level of utility. Still has trouble of being set up on but that's what team building is for.

Hariyama + Contrary: Not too sure about this. On paper, it seems pretty good as it has access to Superpower and Close Combat but then you notice that it is still cursed with a pretty poor Speed and has no priority moves (no, Bullet Punch doesn't count lol). Couple that with no recovery and poor coverage options (except Knock Off) then you have something like a Malamar with lower Speed but with STAB Fighting moves.

Sandslash + Thousand Arrows: People seem to be crying Sand Spam: The Metagame when this is announced and it seems to be true. LO or CB Thousand Arrows allows it to break Skarmory, Bronzong, Zapdos and Rotom-W, all of which is difficult for Exca to defeat. Aerial Ace allows it to defeat Chesnaught, which is often a pain for Sand teams. The low Speed and SpD will hurt though although it has a definite niche in OU.

Trevenant + Prankster: So looking through we have prankster Will-O-Wisp, Sub-Seed, Destiny Bond, Confuse Ray, and Worry Seed. Of which the only new thing brought to the table as a Prankster user is the combination of Worry Seed and Ghost typing allowing it to laugh at Mega Pinsir, which no one uses anymore anyway. It has a decent combination of niches from Sableye, Mega Banette and Whimsy in Will-O-Wisp, D-Bond and Sub-Seed, which I believe would certainly make Trevenant viable. But its just one of those pokemon that would be aids to play against, and I'd feel like a dick head playing with it. Basically not bringing anything notably new to the table and far too cancerous.

Umbreon + Magic Bounce: Well it does have enough bulk to beat most hazard setters which is great for a Magic Bouncer. Of course there are still a few that can break past, mainly fighting, fairy and ground types such as; Infernape, Terrakion, Cobalion, Clefable, Mega Diancie, Excadrill, Mamoswine, and Landorus-I. But all things considered this is a pretty small list, particularly when most of these pokemon are either uncommon with SR, or just uncommon in general. The other thing it gains with Magic Bounce bounce is the ability to bounce back status inflicting moves, which it does fairly well but imo it was done better with Synchronize + Heal Bell, as this combo made Umbreon an epic switch in to Scald. It will be interesting to see if it could pull off a Curse set in a similar way to how Mega-Sableye pulls off Calm Mind. Something along the lines of:
Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Payback
- Wish / Moonlight
- Protect / Heal Bell / Taunt

But yeah overall Umbreon seems like a decent buff, and allows stall to run different megas, so will probably get my vote as it has the biggest impact on the meta. It is still a pretty boring buff though :(

Hariyama + Contrary: Well... Contrary is just one of those abilities which is really freaking good. Especially when you slap it on something with STAB Close Combat / Super Power, or any other move that drops the users stats. This is our 3rd Contrary fighting type, which I wouldn't mind if it wasn't the most underwhelming. Infernape was borderline broken and Pangoro had a really cool niche in boosting its speed with Hammer Arm. That said though I still do quite like Contrary Hariyama. It has a few viable sets that look cool on paper, but over all I think he still wouldn't be that viable in OU. All the sets I can think of would be like C+ absolute max imo.
Super Power + Assault Vest would be a pretty cool set, as you have some other nice utility in Knock Off and Bullet Punch. But this set would still be mauled by Fairies and Psychics even with AV and Super Power, and extremely easily worn down due to a lack of Drain punch. Also misses Thick Fat resistances.
Close Combat + Rest Talk and filler such as Whirlwind would be cool. Probably one of its better sets considering it isn't prone to status and has recovery, while having the potential to become unbreakable. From there just phaze through hazards till everything dies.
Obviously there'd be other sets but these are the most unique ones that would give Hariyama more use over other fighting types that outclass it. A possible contenter for my vote but not too impactful on the meta and again a pretty lame buff. Also forgot to mention that Intimidate is a thing. But Landorus-T and Gyarados are the 1st to users coming to mind and they both resist Fighting anyway.

Sandslash + Thousand Arrows: The only theorymon on that slate doesn't say "here we go again" and actually has some fantastic flavor and originality. Unfortunately though it is Sandslash. It still has a lot of great niches though. Firstly as mentioned before it is a fantastic partner to excadrill. And I mean fantastic. Firstly, Thousand Arrows allows it to take a lot of Excadrill's checks or at least wear them down a tonne to the point where exca can sweep anyway. Then you have the access to Rapid Spin which means that Excadrill can run Swords Dance and Rock Slide 100% of the time because it has Sandslash to worry about hazard removal. Sandslash also has Knock Off too wear down Exca checks and just offer great utility in general.
Another really cool thing about Sandslash is that it has a fantastic match up vs opposing sand teams. Excadrill is beaten 1v1 as Exca is weak to ground, where as Sandslash isn't. All Tyranitar variants are beaten. And Hippowdon is worn down by Knock Off and Sandslash has Rapid Spin to remove stealth rocks which can be set up by any of the three mentioned. Mega Garchomp is a bitch though.
Lastly if you're trying to make some really weird sand team with T-Tar that needs a sand rush sweeper that can get past Ballon Tran, Skarmory, Rotom-W, etc and don't want to stack any more fighting and ground weaknesses with T-Tar and something else, and you also want a Knock Off user... Sandslash is your guy. But only under specific circumstances would you be able to justify using Sandslash > Excadrill. Sandslash + Excadrill however is a very good idea. Another possible vote contender but its not too flashy.

So yeah, its alright, but its probably the worst slate we've had in a while tbh :/

But this set would still be mauled by Fairies and Psychics even with AV and Super Power, and extremely easily worn down due to a lack of Drain punch.
Psychics? Yeah. Fairies? Don't be so sure. You're forgetting about that Hariyama also has access to Heavy Slam, which, thanks to Hariyama's tremendously fat ass, hits a BP of 120 against every single Fairy type in OU*.

232 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Hariyama: 326-386 (75.8 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Hariyama Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Mega Gardevoir: 374-440 (135 - 158.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Mega Diancie Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Hariyama: 260-308 (60.4 - 71.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Hariyama Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 500-592 (207.4 - 245.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Altaria Hyper Voice vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Hariyama: 270-318 (62.7 - 73.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Hariyama Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Altaria: 250-296 (85.6 - 101.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Sadly, this set does still get wrecked by physical Mega Altaria and Azumarill, but hey, no mon is without its counters.

*And, in fact, every Fairy type in the game except for Mr. Mime and Xerneas.

Heyo…sorry for the double post, but I'd rather bump the thread and give y'all an alert than let this go unnoticed. Here's a post in defense of Hariyama--something that's had no love this slate. I know this post is LONG overdue, so I'm sorry. I was busy and didn't get around to it.

Set used:

Hariyama @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
EVs: 252 HP/ 128 Def/ 128 SpDef
-Close Combat
-Knock Off
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

Okay so this is a pretty cut and dried ResTalk set, but if it gets past +2, gl killing it (Unaware not included). The goal is to switch into something that barely hurts you (or anything passive), and click Close Combat. You get harder and harder to kill while denting things on the opposing team. This guy is a sick pivot. Prepare thine anuses for a wall of calcs…

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. +1 252 HP / 128+ SpD Hariyama: 204-241 (41.4 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Heatran Fire Blast vs. +1 252 HP / 128+ SpD Hariyama: 138-163 (28 - 33.1%) -- 89.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. +1 252 HP / 128 Def Hariyama: 136-162 (27.6 - 32.9%) -- 81.3% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. +1 252 HP / 128 Def Hariyama: 165-195 (33.5 - 39.6%) -- 21.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. +1 252 HP / 128 Def Hariyama: 148-175 (30 - 35.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. +1 252 HP / 128 Def Hariyama: 184-217 (37.3 - 44.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 84 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. +1 252 HP / 128 Def Hariyama: 163-193 (33.1 - 39.2%) -- 13.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. +1 252 HP / 128+ SpD Hariyama: 142-169 (28.8 - 34.3%) -- 99.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. +1 252 HP / 128+ SpD Hariyama in Sun: 240-283 (48.7 - 57.5%) -- 51.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (At +2, bye bye zardy)

252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. +1 252 HP / 128 Def Hariyama: 200-238 (40.6 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Mega Manectric Thunderbolt vs. +1 252 HP / 128+ SpD Hariyama: 117-138 (23.7 - 28%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Tyranitar Earthquake vs. +1 252 HP / 128 Def Hariyama: 94-111 (19.1 - 22.5%) -- possible 5HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery (switch in fodder even at +0)

252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Ice Punch vs. +1 252 HP / 128 Def Hariyama: 126-149 (25.6 - 30.2%) -- 1.1% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. +1 252 HP / 128+ SpD Hariyama: 153-181 (31 - 36.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Raikou Thunderbolt vs. +1 252 HP / 128+ SpD Hariyama: 154-183 (31.3 - 37.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

That was all the A Ranks that don't OHKO/2HKO. I didn't bother calcing the S ranks because I'm pretty sure they all hurt Harry. But yeah, at +1, this guy is a bitch to take down for A LOT of things. At +2 he's even harder. If you somehow get him to +3, he ain't gonna die.

Have fun in voting.

Last edited:
Did I post about this yet? I really like three of the four submissions here:
umbreon+Magic bounce: Another defensive, non-mega, non-sr weak magic bounce user would be lovely. It would help him set up, and maybe even pass like espeon. he's also not weak to knock off. a great idea.
sandslash+ thousand arrows: on any other pokemon, I'd say that this would be OP.on sandslash it would be perfect! It would really be a choker for birdspam, cause if you caught say t-flame, thundy, zapdos, etc on the swith you'd do massive damage. rotom-w and lati@s would also dislike you. Also, has anyone noticed that it allows flying-type mons to be arena trapped? kinda cool. anyways, I think that on its own, its not amazing, but with support and other mons to take advantage of it, thousand arrows would be awesome!
hariyama+contrary: man this would be a pain to deal with. I've always had a soft spot for him, so he might get my vote. is great for all the aforementioned reasons.
and
tree+prankster: eh, we already have one prankster ghost. am not a huge fan of this one.

Not that I'm shooting Sandslash down or anything (because it's a great submission and I love it) but people saying it could nab things like Talonflame, Zapdos, Thundurus on the switch are kind of forgetting the reality of that situation: it wouldn't happen. TA would completely replace EQ, so there's no benefit to switching them in. Obiously your opponent would expect a spammable move like TA, so they'd be switching in their Ground resists instead of immunities.

Now, this isn't a bad thing. Essentially what Thousand Arrows does is cut down the number of switch ins to a sweeper (which is cool because it's creatively done and really improves a shit mon). But let's not go around saying "Oh Slash can beat Zapdos now" because that won't be happening anyways.

Patolegend!

Fan of 1000 Arrow 'Slash
Not that I'm shooting Sandslash down or anything (because it's a great submission and I love it) but people saying it could nab things like Talonflame, Zapdos, Thundurus on the switch are kind of forgetting the reality of that situation: it wouldn't happen. TA would completely replace EQ, so there's no benefit to switching them in. Obiously your opponent would expect a spammable move like TA, so they'd be switching in their Ground resists instead of immunities.

Now, this isn't a bad thing. Essentially what Thousand Arrows does is cut down the number of switch ins to a sweeper (which is cool because it's creatively done and really improves a shit mon). But let's not go around saying "Oh Slash can beat Zapdos now" because that won't be happening anyways.
This is true, which is why it's so beautiful - there aren't really very many Ground resists in OU that want to stomach one of Slash's coverage moves (Knock Off/Aerial Ace). The main thing is it's gonna get some damage on something, and not hit air. I agree with other posters in that it would be a great Sand Spam team mate for Exca.

By the way, those Hariyama calcs :pimp:

The main issues would be relying on Rest Talk and the existence of Sableye, but it really could be tasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)