Tip Collection for Doubles OU

Approved by Audiosurfer

Ok I decided to make a small guide on things you can do in dubs. Without further ado, I'll start:

1) Try to have spread moves. If you have too little spread moves, pokemon with Follow Me and Rage Powder along with partners that can set-up boosts or subs can really annoy you. In addition, hitting both pokemon is always nice even with a 25% nerf. Some good spread moves are Heatran's Heat Wave, Landorus-T's Earthquake, Sylveon's Hyper Voice and more.

2) Try to prepare for common threats in the meta. At the moment, pokemon like Lando T and Mega Kanga must be prepared for as they can do a lot of damage. You should always try to have an appropriate check or counter for pokemon that your team may struggle with otherwise. Pokemon like Amoonguss are more obscure threats as it is bulky, can put your pokemon to sleep, and redirect moves while having Regenerator.

3) Have ways to deal with other playstyles. This is vital the teams you face may be quite strong against your team archetype. For example, rain can be very threatening if you do not have good ways to deal with it. Also TR teams can really screw over offensive teams so try and have a way to deal with this.

4) Try to have some speed control. Having either Tailwind or Trick Room can help massively. With Tailwind, you can set this up against offensive teams which are usually pretty fast and force them to try and waste it (e.g. if they may double protect that can give you a chance to set up). Using Trick Room can also mess up offensive teams but it can screw other TR teams over as it can catch them unexpectedly. Other speed control can be found in moves such as Thunder Wave and Icy Wind.

5) Try to make the team a bit varied. While having many physical attackers may seem good, it allows your team to be walled more easily, or hindered by things such as Intimidate. If the team is too defensive based, you can be set up fodder especially against pokemon with Sub.

6) http://www.eggyemporium.com/tools/teambuilder/ is a helpful teambuilder.

1) Use Protect on most if not all of your pokemon that are not choiced. Protect is a vital move which allows you to gain potential free turns, scout choice-items and so much more. It can burn turns of Tailwind and Trick Room or just see what the opponent was going to do.

2) Making plays. Making plays in Doubles is a lot more difficult as there are more pokemon to think about. When making a play, consider some things: Is it worth the risk?, Are they likely to do what I think they might?, Are they experienced or not?(if they are more experienced, you can predict them to do more advanced things)

3) Momentum. It is very important to have the right mons in at the right time as otherwise it can cost you fatally. An example: you have 2 checks to Keldeo-Shaymin in your team, but none of them are in the field right now, the enemy has offensive momentum. But you use your Lando-T to U-turn out on Shaymin into Thundurus-I, you just gained momentum, since Thundurus-I beats Shaymin-Keldeo and you can make plays according to what they switch. This allows you to catch up and potentially turn the game around.

4) Do not get distracted. While this may seem dumb and/or obvious, turning off the music will usually help you focus and concentrate more on the game.

1) Redirection, meaning rage powder and follow me, are both moves that redirect your opponents moves to the pokemon using the move. Grass types and pokemon using the item safety goggles are immune to rage powder and ignore the effects of that move. In addition, Sucker Punch will fail if you use either one of these. Note that spread moves (moves that hit multiple targets) will ignore these moves.

2) Priority. The basic concept of priority is that there are multiple priority brackets. If the move you are using is in a higher priority bracket than theirs, you will always go first. If you are both in the same priority bracket, the pokemon that is faster will go first.

3) Wide Guard and Quick Guard are two doubles tailored moves, quick guard protecting the user and its partner from priority attacks/status (protects against fake out if the user is faster the fake outer [as both the moves have +3 priority], and will protect against gale wings and prankster). Wide guard protects the user and its partner from spread moves (earthquake, heat wave, water spout, etc.). Both can be used indiscriminately and will not fail unlike in gen 5. If you use protect after using one of these moves, it will have a chance to fail, but wide/quick guard themselves will never fail.

4) Trick Room. Trick Room is a move where the slowest pokemon in the priority bracket (explained above) goes first. If a pokemon is using a move in a higher priority bracket, they will still go first. Trick Room is a move that lasts for five turns but it can be prevented by Taunt or reversed by Trick Room being used again

5) Tailwind. Tailwind is a move that doubles the speed (not a visible change like stat boosts; it's passive) of the whole team that used it. It lasts for 4 turns and yet again, higher priority brackets will still go first.

6) Screens, Light Screen and Reflect are altered in doubles. In singles it will reduce damage by 1/2 but in doubles it only reduces it by 1/3 to make it more balanced

7) Protect. You only have a 33.3% chance for Protect to be successful if you use either Quick Guard, Wide Guard, Detect or Protect the previous turn

NOTE: As turn order is predetermined (decided before the turn), both Trick Room and Tailwind are effectively one turn shorter than they last for.This order applies for Pokemon with Swift Swim and Chlorophyll as the respective weather conditions must be up at the beginning of the turn, otherwise you will not get the speed boost until the following turn. Paralysis will also only affect your speed the next turn, and not the current one

1) Pokemon inside it. This is a very important point that must be stressed. Because Singles and Doubles are very different metagames, they have different banlists as such. Pokemon that may have been banned to Ubers in Singles like Greninja are lackluster in Doubles. Doubles in general has a less restricted banlist so many pokemon in Ubers can be used in it. A very important thing to note as well: The tiers the pokemon are in singles and their viability there have almost nothing to do with how good they are in doubles. For example, Amoonguss and Cresselia are only RU however they are both amazing at supporting teammates.

2) Sleep Clause. Because there is no sleep clause in doubles, you can put any amount of pokemon to sleep. This means grass types and Safety Goggles pokemon (an item that makes you immune to powder moves and not take Hail/Sandstorm damage) are good.

3) Items differ a fair amount in doubles, Sitrus Berry is used over Leftovers almost all the time unless using a Substitute set as doubles is a fast-paced game and the more health immediately is better .Safety goggles is a very common item as well, and focus sash has to be handled differently in play due to the fact that a double target will break your sash (or Kangaskhan).

4) Toxic and poison are not very good in doubles because they don't have additional effects (para and burn) and they don't buy you extra turns (sleep) doubles games don't last enough turns to kill anything with toxic either because they are fast-paced (like said before).

5) Entry hazards are uncommon in doubles, so you don't have to prepare for them. Stealth rocks can be used in niche teams to counter Charizard and sash users, but the others are generally not very good. (in part because half the meta is immune to ground)

6) Have multiple switchins to threats to your team. I often like to have two pokemon that can't be spored, and two pokemon that can't be thunder waved. this also applies to offensive types, so its huge to have two mons that can be out against Kangaskhan, for example. The reason for this is if you only have one switchin: it is very likely that their partner will be able to deal with you so having a backup is almost vital

You get more experience by playing games, discussing things on the forums and IRC. Just practise and enjoy the fun game which is Doubles. If you are new, try to watch good youtubers like KyleCole and use RMTs, both of which will help you improve massively.

ps; bring kanga checks or lose

Last edited:
Ok I know this isn't very long and will probably be locked because I'm not a moderator, so extra feedback and tips would be very nice indeed.
You probably wanted someone to approve this before posting it, you don't have to be a mod to make a thread, just get it approved by one.

OK thanks for the input, I'm gonna make this a tip collection where any one can drop a tip and if it's useful, it'll be added to the OP

You lightly touch on it with amoonguss, but i think including something about doubles exclusive moves like rage powder (how grass types are immune to rage powder and spore) follow me, no sleep clause, wide and quick guard mechanic, the different banlist (mega kang, mega mawile, aegislash, etc.), and things like sitrus > then leftovers in most situations. Also explaining safety goggles would be a great addition as well. All in all doubles mechanics are usually things new players get confused over.

1) Redirection, meaning rage powder and follow me, are both moves that redirect your opponents moves to the pokemon using the move. Grass types and pokemon using the item safety goggles are immune to rage powder and ignore the effects of that move.

2) Sleep clause is not on in this tier, as such grass types are very useful for either sporing or being excellent switch ins to the spore/sleep powder. The item safety goggles will make any pokemon immune to spore, powder moves, and chip damage from weather.

3) Wide guard and quick guard are two doubles tailored moves, quick guard protecting the user and its partner from priority attacks/status (protects against fake out if the user is faster the fake outer, and will protect against gale wings and prankster). Wide guard protects the user and its partner from spread moves (earthquake, heat wave, water spout, etc.). Both can be used indiscriminately and will not fail unlike in gen 5. If you use protect after using one of these moves, it will have a chance to fail, but wide/quick guard themselves will never fail.

4) The smogon doubles banlist is different from ou, so don't be surprised to see things like mega kangaskhan and mega mawile on the ladder. Things banned from ou are not necessarily broken or even a good pokemon in doubles, case in point greninja. Remember to keep threats like aegislash in mind when adjusting teambuilding mindsets from ou. Adding onto this the viability of pokemon isn't dependent on singles, cresselia and amoonguss are both ru by usage in singles but incredibly solid pokemon in doubles.

5) Items differ a fair amount in doubles, sitrus berry is used over leftovers almost all the time unless using a substitute set. Safety goggles is a very common item as well, and focus sash has to be handled differently in play due to the fact that a double target will break your sash (or kangaskhan).

6) qsns is a nerd

Named it miscellaneous because not everything covered is mechanics, if you want to sort it/rearrange it be my guest.

Point 6 is arguably the best point, make sure to bold it.

6) qsns is a nerd
I'd change that to "All users whose names start with Q except for Qazoo are nerds" :p

Anyway, I'd add specific sections on Trick Room and Tail Wind because they are probably both the most important to be able to beat and most common play styles in the metagame.

Anyway, I'd add specific sections on Trick Room and Tail Wind because they are probably both the most important to be able to beat and most common play styles in the metagame.
This is more for doubles, and while tailwind and trick room are prevalent they're not anything someone from singles isn't going to know about. This is more tips and not "how to beat this specifically and this specifically"

Also, trick room and tailwind are not the most common playstyles, trick room isn't common at all really, full room is very hard to pull off successfully. Tailwind is on teams on a as need basis most of the time and not a playstyle itself.

just gonna make a post with a couple that i think of immediately, feel free to include or leave out whatever you want.

1. Entry hazards are uncommon in doubles, so you don't have to prepare for them. Stealth rocks can be used in niche teams to counter Charizard and sash users, but the others are generally not very good. (in part because half the meta is immune to ground)

2. Toxic and poison are not very good in doubles because they don't have additional effects (para and burn) and they don't buy you extra turns (sleep) doubles games don't last enough turns to kill anything with toxic either.

3. Have multiple switchins to threats to your team. I often like to have two pokemon that can't be spored, and two pokemon that can't be thunder waved. this also applies to offensive types, so its huge to have two mons that can be out against Kangaskhan, for example.

4. Try out lots of different types of teams, and try to include pokemon you haven't tried yet on every team. this is great for learning the metagame and for becoming a better player.

5. Get involved with the community, play minitours, and participate in discussion on the forums, PS chat, or IRC. It will help you improve your skills, and overall its the best way to get the most out of your doubles experience

thats probs all for now maybe i'll do more eventually

3. Have multiple switchins to threats to your team. I often like to have two pokemon that can't be spored, and two pokemon that can't be thunder waved. this also applies to offensive types, so its huge to have two mons that can be out against Kangaskhan, for example.
Probably the most important thing about doubles teambuilding. In singles, you can just be like oh I have a check/counter I am good. If you only have one check, there is a high likelyhood that either their partner can destroy that check or they will just target your other mon. 2-3 checks/counters that don't share weaknesses for each of the threats is pretty hard and that is why almost every team in doubles has to have offensive momentum as well to keep the checks healthy.

Playing:

Add something about momentum which is something newer players don't seem to understand. you could put it like:
X. Momentum, it is very important to have the right mons in at the right time, example: you have 2 checks to Keldeo-Shaymin in your team, but none of them are in the field right now, the enemy has offensive momentum. But you use your lando-t to u-turn out on shaymin into Thundurus-I, you just gained momentum, since Thundurus-I beats Shaymin-Keldeo and you can make plays according to what they switch.

rn im on my phone and don't have enough time to find a definition with examples regarding momentum, but I'm sure you can do it :]

Also add some offensive and defensive benchmarks to this, I have a huge list on my comp with a lot of benchmarks for different kinds of team i'm building. Will edit this l8r with a pbin link.

oh sorry you didnt say anything and then i forgot about it lmao.
i was gonna say
Avoid music and other distractions while playing. Doing so helps you maintain better focus whether you realize it or not, resulting in you playing better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)