Torterra

-kal-

hi guys
is a Contributor Alumnus

QC: metaphysical / boltsandbombers / Finchinator
GP: P Squared / Snobalt

[OVERVIEW]

Torterra sports a great offensive presence that is supported by its high Base Power STAB moves. Furthermore, Torterra has solid all-around bulk and a decent typing, which make it a reliable tank that can take on many pertinent threats in the tier such as Lanturn, Garbodor, Rhydon, and Klinklang. Torterra is also very versatile, being able to play the roles of tank, late-game sweeper, and wallbreaker. Sadly, Torterra is weak to common Fire-, Flying-, and Ice-type attacks from the likes of Pyroar, Archeops, and Jynx, and it is unable to reliably pressure Xatu, which greatly hinders its role as a Stealth Rock setter. Torterra's lackluster Speed also leaves it very susceptible to being KOed by revenge killers.

[SET]
name: Tank
move 1: Wood Hammer
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Stealth Rock
move 4: Synthesis
item: Leftovers
ability: Overgrow
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 128 Atk / 128 Def

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Wood Hammer is an extremely strong STAB move, though it comes at the cost of recoil damage. Seed Bomb can be used over Wood Hammer if you do not want to inflict recoil damage on Torterra. Earthquake has great coverage alongside Wood Hammer, nailing Fire-, Poison-, and Steel-types such as Magmortar, Garbodor, and Mawile very hard. Stealth Rock is a great utility move, as it wears down the opposing team's Pokemon each time they come in. Toxic is an option to cripple Pokemon that Torterra has trouble against, such as Gourgeist-S and Scyther. Synthesis provides Torterra with longevity, making it a more efficient tank. Stone Edge can be used to nail Scyther and Xatu, which otherwise can set up Swords Dance or Calm Mind, respectively, on Torterra. Being able to heavily damage the latter is really important, as it can stop Torterra from setting up Stealth Rock. Another attack can be used over Stealth Rock if your team already has a Stealth Rock setter.

Set Details
========

The 252 HP EVs and 128 Defense EVs ensure that Tauros's Rock Climb and Fire Blast as well as Kangaskhan's Silk Scarf-boosted Double-Edge will not 2HKO Torterra. The remaining EVs are placed in Attack with an Adamant nature for a solid damage output. A fully physically defensive spread is an option to take on physical attackers much more reliably. Leftovers is used to provide Torterra with passive recovery. Overgrow boosts the power of Torterra's Grass-type moves when it is low on health, which can be crucial.

Usage Tips
========

You should take advantage of Torterra's great STAB combination in order to scare out or beat many common entry hazard setters, which can help prevent the foe from setting up entry hazards. You should also switch Torterra into Pokemon that it can beat one-on-one, such as Tauros, Kangaskhan, defensive Lanturn, and Rhydon, to take hits from them for the team. From there, Torterra can set up Stealth Rock or heavily damage them with its attacks. Use Synthesis whenever Torterra is low on health so that it can take hits more comfortably, but do not use it too often, as it only has 8 PP. Though Torterra can beat many bulky Water-types such as Quagsire and Lanturn, it does not appreciate a Scald burn from them, so it is highly encouraged that you do not directly switch Torterra into them unless it is needed. Use Torterra's STAB attacks accordingly depending on which Pokemon it is against and which Pokemon you expect the opponent to bring in.

Team Options
========

Garbodor makes for a great partner, as it can set up Spikes and Toxic Spikes, which work well in conjunction with Torterra's Stealth Rock; it can also deal with bulky Grass-types such as Tangela, which Torterra struggles with, while Torterra takes care of Ground-types such as Rhydon. Bulky Water-types such as Lanturn and Poliwrath work well with Torterra, as they cover its Ice- and Fire-type weaknesses. Clerics such as Mega Audino and Lanturn also make for great partners, as Torterra is very vulnerable to being crippled by status ailments. Pokemon that can take on Flying-types such as Xatu and Scyther are greatly appreciated. Malamar is able to take on Xatu, and Mawile beats Scyther with ease.

[SET]
name: Dancing Continent (Setup Sweeper)
move 1: Rock Polish / Swords Dance
move 2: Wood Hammer
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Stone Edge / Swords Dance
item: Lum Berry / Life Orb
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Rock Polish is used to increase Torterra's Speed by two stages, allowing it to outspeed most of the unboosted tier. Swords Dance can be used instead so that Torterra has a better matchup against defensive teams, being able to clean up against them. Wood Hammer hits very hard when boosted but comes at the cost of taking recoil damage. Earthquake has great coverage with Wood Hammer, nailing Poison- and Fire-types such as Garbodor and Pyroar. Stone Edge forms the EdgeQuake combination with Earthquake, nailing Flying-types such as Scyther, Swellow, and Xatu, all of which otherwise can wall Torterra.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack investment is used for Torterra to hit as hard as possible. A Jolly nature and maximum Speed investment are used to outspeed positive-natured Choice Scarf Mesprit and Rotom after a Rock Polish boost as well as neutral-natured Aurorus, Pawniard, and Flareon before a boost. However, an Adamant nature can be used for more power. Lum Berry is used as a safety net against Will-O-Wisp and Scald users, which can hinder its sweep, so that Torterra can set up more easily. A Life Orb can be used instead to greatly increase Torterra's damage output, though it can easily wear Torterra down, especially with Wood Hammer's recoil. Overgrow gives Torterra a significant boost to its Grass-type moves when it is low on health.

Usage Tips
========

Torterra should not try to sweep unless its checks and counters are either heavily weakened or knocked out. It should be noted that Torterra can be revenge killed even after a Rock Polish boost by priority moves such as Piloswine's and Vanilluxe's Ice Shard as well as some Choice Scarf users such as Scyther and Jynx. Torterra should not repeatedly use Wood Hammer if it's not necessary, as its recoil along with Life Orb's recoil can heavily wear Torterra down. Torterra's best situations to set up a Rock Polish are on Pokemon that it forces out, such as Quagsire and Rhydon, as well as Rotom locked into an Electric-type attack. If Torterra runs Swords Dance, it should use it against more defensive teams to break them more efficiently. If Torterra is not your win condition, it can be used early- and mid-game to pressure the opposing team due to the sheer power that it possesses.

Team Options
========

Fire-types such as Pyroar and Magmortar have great defensive synergy with Torterra, dealing with Grass- and Bug-types that annoy it, while Torterra handles Water- and Rock-types that they struggle with. Rock-types such as Regirock, Archeops, and Kabutops work well with Torterra, as they can easily threaten Flying- and Ice-types with their powerful STAB moves. Wallbreakers such as Kangaskhan, Sawk, and Mawile can help wear down Torterra's checks and counters, paving the way for it to sweep. For example, Sawk is able to lure in Weezing and hit it with Zen Headbutt or Mold Breaker Earthquake, which can allow Torterra to sweep more easily. Pokemon such as Xatu and Lanturn work well with Torterra, as they can give it a safe switch in via a slow U-turn and Volt Switch, respectively.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Curse can be used to increase Torterra's Attack and Defense but comes at the cost of lowering its Speed. Substitute is an alternative for Torterra to block status moves and set up a Rock Polish or Swords Dance more easily; it also eases prediction. Yache Berry can be used for Torterra to take an Ice-type attack from the likes of Jynx and Piloswine and KO them in return. A Choice Band set lets Torterra be a fearsome wallbreaker.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Flying-types**: Flying-types such as Scyther, Vivillon, Swellow, Rotom-S, and Xatu have an immunity to Earthquake and resist Wood Hammer. Scyther and Vivillon can set up a Swords Dance and Quiver Dance against Torterra, respectively, and hit it hard with their STAB moves. Xatu, though it does not have a Flying-type STAB move to hit Torterra with, can either set up with Calm Mind or heavily dent it with Heat Wave. Archeops does not like taking a Wood Hammer but can easily damage Torterra with a STAB-boosted Acrobatics. It should be noted that none of these Pokemon appreciate taking a Stone Edge from Torterra.

**Weezing**: Weezing is one of the best counters to Torterra. Due to Levitate, it is immune to Torterra's Earthquake, and it also resists Torterra's Grass-type attacks. It can then either burn Torterra with Will-O-Wisp or slowly wear it down with Flamethrower.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as Pyroar, Magmortar, and Combusken can easily OHKO Torterra with their Fire-type attacks, but they have to be wary of Earthquake.

**Bulky Grass-types**: Bulky Grass-types such as Tangela, Leafeon, and Gourgeist-S, and Gourgeist-XL can stomach many hits from Torterra very well. Gourgeist-S and Gourgeist-XL is able to cripple Torterra by burning it with Will-O-Wisp.

**Ice-types**: Ice-types such as Cryogonal, Articuno, Regice, Jynx, and Piloswine cannot take a hit from Torterra but can easily outspeed and OHKO Torterra with their STAB attacks. Piloswine and Vanilluxe can also easily revenge kill Torterra with Ice Shard even after it has a Rock Polish boost, and the latter can take a hit if needed, though it must watch out for Stone Edge.

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Tank has wayyy too much Speed. Putting enough speed for Timid costa is implying that people actually use special smash carracosta, which albeit a cool set, isnt the case. Outspeeding adamant rhydon is nice, but its not as important as a tank. The spread should be 252 HP / 128 Atk / 128 Def, as it avoids the 2hko from Silk Scarf Kangaskhans Double Edge and Tauros's Rock Climb from full HP and has a good chance to avoid the 2HKO after rocks. Also avoids the 2HKO from Tauros's Fire Blast.

252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Rock Climb vs. 252 HP / 128 Def Torterra: 175-208 (44.4 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Silk Scarf Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 128 Def Torterra: 177-208 (44.9 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Torterra: 153-182 (38.8 - 46.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Shoutouts to hollywood for the crisp spread.

Also why do you have shell armor listed?? Overgrow is always better. Your reasoning on paper kinda makes sense but its super situational, and while Overgrow is situational as well it will be much more useful in practice than Shell Armor would be. Thank you for putting the Tank set first, its much better than band in this meta.

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Couple things:

1) I'd like to hear some other people's thoughts on backslashing Swords Dance on the Rock Polish set as I think double dance is viable, but it does face some competition from Rhydon and it appreciates the Stone Edge coverage more than Rhydon appreciates Megahorn coverage, so I guess it's up in the air as for this being worthwhile to backslash or not. Oh and while we're on the topic of the sweeping variant, I personally like Muscle Band (or whatever the name of the item to boost physical hits by x1.1 power is, I can't quite remember if that's correct atm) as LO damage wears down Torterra too much for my liking, but I don't think many others have tried it, so I would hold off before mentioning it.

2) I think Toxic should receive specific mention in the OO or in the set comments for the SR set as it actually can be quite useful for hitting various threats (I used it a while back and it has some nice utility). I know it could arguably fit under the mention of "defensive set" in the OO, but wouldn't hurt to have a specific mention of it.

3) Under flying types in the C&C, I'd add Rotom-Fan, Swellow, and maybe even Articuno. I know that they aren't exactly top tier threats, but they resist or are immune to both parts of Torterra's dual STAB and all are decently viable (you mention Vivillion and, imo, all of these have almost as much as, if not just as much, viability as Vivillion, so I figure they should be included in this list).

4) I don't think Healing Wish is worth mentioning specifically in the Team Options because almost all of the variants don't appreciate it much more than anything else in the tier and the sweeping variant is the lone exception and it doesn't necessarily appreciate it more than most other sweepers. I mean, if it's mentioned in the Team Options for a bunch of other win conditions in the tier, then sure it warrants a mention, but if it isn't, then I don't think we should draw the line for Torterra and include it unless it is specified that you don't need/necessarily want HWish support for a random SR or support Torterra.

Overall, looks like a nice analysis and covers almost everything! Would like to hear some other people's thoughts on the things I said about the sweeping set before you change it as I'm not entirely sure what warrants being added/deleted/mentioned.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah hollwood mentioned dual dance in the QC pm, and fwiw I trust his judgement (and yours) on the set. I havent used it myself, but I remember getting destroyed by SD Torterra a while back; I forget if it was dual dance or not, but yeah its worth the slash. I also like Lum Berry on the Rock Polish set since Torterra is a good switch into Lanturn and Lum on offensive setup mons is always good. Life Orb is pretty unappealing to me because potential hazard damage + wood hammer recoil + life orb takes away a ton of health.

When you mention Stone Edge on the tank set, specifically note how hitting Xatu is important because otherwise it poses a major nuisance by stopping Torterra from setting Stealth Rock. In the overview, I'd note that being a Stealth Rock setter which cannot reliably pressure Xatu (it has to rely on an inaccurate coverage move to hit it) is a negative, as whenever I pick a Stealh Rocker I usually try to have one that can threaten out Xatu, like Piloswine, Rhydon, Aurorus, etc.

In moves of the tank set mention that it can use 3 attacks + synthesis; this was a common set back in the megalix era and it still has some effectiveness now.

Put Facade somewhere on the CB set, either just a moves mention or slashing after Crunch, as it makes it so that Torterra isnt useless when statused (albeit being immune to 2 status moves) and Crunch is really just filler anyways. I would also consider putting Rock Polish before Choice Band, as while Torterra's STAB moves are good being locked into one of them can put you in a really bad position, and I don't think it really needs CB to be an effective wallbreaker, even the tank set hits pretty darn hard and of course the RP set does as well.

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead

QC:
GP:

[OVERVIEW]
  • Great offensive presence with its High base power STAB moves helping it
  • Solid all around bulk that lets it be a reliable stealth rock setter
  • Can play many different roles viably as a tank, late-game sweeper, or a wallbreaker which makes it very versatile in usage
  • Decent typing lets it take on many pertinent threats in the tier such as Lanturn, Garbodor, Rhydon, and Klinklang
  • Weak to common Fire-, Flying-, and Ice-types in pokemon such as Pyroar, Fletchinder, and Jynx
  • Lackluster speed that leaves it to be very susceptible to revenge killers

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Wood Hammer is an extremely strong STAB move but at the cost of taking recoil damage Since you mention the high cost of Recoil Damage, just keep a mention of Seed Bomb here as a much weaker alternative that doesn't take recoil
  • Earthquake forms great coverage with Wood Hammer, nailing Fire- and Steel-types such as Magmortar and Mawile very hard
  • Stealth Rock is a great utility move as it wears down the opposing team's Pokemon each time they come in
  • Synthesis provides Torterra with longevity, making it a more efficient tank
  • Stone Edge can be used to nail Fletchinder and Xatu who otherwise can set up Swords Dance or Calm Mind on Torterra respectively Mention Xatu prevents it from getting up rocks

Set Details
========
  • 128 EVs in Attack with an Adamant nature are used to hit as hard as possible
  • HP and defense investments ensures that Tauros's Rock Climb and Fire Blast as well as Kangaskhan's Silk Scarf Double Edge will not 2HKO Torterra
  • Leftovers provide Torterra with passive recovery
  • Overgrow is used to gain a boost to Torterra's Grass-type move which could be crucial
Usage Tips
========
  • Torterra's great STAB combination allows it to beat many common entry hazard users which gives it many opportunities to set them up while deterring entry hazards on the opposing field
  • Switch Torterra into pokemon that it can beat one-on-one such as Tauros, Kangaskhan, defensive Lanturn, and Rhydon to take hits from them for the team. From there, Torterra can set up Stealth Rocks or heavily damage them
  • Use Synthesis whenever Torterra is low on health so that it can take hits more comfortably but do not use it too often as it only has 8 PP
  • Though Torterra can beat many bulky Water-types such as Quagsire and Lanturn, it does not appreciate a Scald Burn from them as it can heavily cripple it
  • Use Torterra's STAB attacks accordingly depending on which Pokemon it is against and which Pokemon you expect the opponent to bring in

Team Options
========
  • Garbodor makes a great partner as it can setup Spikes and Toxic Spikes that works well in conjunction with Torterra's Stealth Rock and it can also deal with bulky Grass-types such as Tangela that Torterra struggles with while it takes care of Ground-types such as Rhydon
  • Bulky Water-types such as Lanturn and Prinplup work well with Torterra as they cover its Ice and Fire weakness and the latter provides Defog support for it Is defog support good to mention, since its the one that is supposed to get up Rocks, and Defogging just removes them. Also mentioning Prinplup + Torterra isn't that great unless you forgo rocks on one of them which is the main reason to run them.
  • Clerics such as Mega Audino and the aforementioned Lanturn can provide Heal Bell support as Torterra is very vulnerable to status that cripples it
  • Setup sweepers such as Klinklang, Fletchinder, and Uxie appreciate Torterra's ability to weaken their opponents with Stealth Rock to ease setup for them
Mention something that beats Xatu (and other flying types) since Xatu prevents it from doing its job right, and flying types easily kill it
[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Crunch
item: Choice Band

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Wood Hammer provides a powerful STAB move but at the expense of taking recoil damage
  • Earthquake is used as a secondary STAB in order to smash Fire- and Steel-types such as Pyroar and Klinklang
  • Stone Edge forms near perfect coverage with Torterra's STABs, hitting Flying- and Bug-types such as Xatu and Scyther
  • Crunch is used to heavily damage bulky Psychic-types sich as Uxie and Musharna without having to risk taking recoil damage from Wood Hammer and is also one of the few ways Torterra can hit Gourgeist-S for a decent amount of damage Move the part about Gourgeist to the front, since the Psychic Types are hit hard by Wood Hammer anyway.

Set Details
========
  • Maximum Attack investment and an Adamant nature are used to hit as hard as possible
  • Maximum Speed investment lets Torterra outspeed as many threats as possible such as Adamant Mawile, Jolly Rhydon, and Rash Cacturne
  • Overgrow helps Torterra to gain a significant boost to its Grass-type moves which can be nice
  • Choice Band is used to increase Torterra's Attack stat to monstrous levels, turning it into a fearsome wallbreaker
Does Jolly out speed anything Adamant doesn't, if it does just give it a mention down here.
Usage Tips
========
  • Mainly used as a wallbreaker
  • Its natural bulk and great typing means that it can safely switch into many attacks such as Earthquake from Rhydon and Volt Switch from Lanturn
  • Most of the time, Torterra is going to be clicking Earthquake as long as there aren't any Flying-types or Levitate users who would gain a free switch
  • Do not recklessly use Wood Hammer as the recoil damage that it gives can greatly wear down Torterra and it gives Garbodor a free switch to setup its hazards
  • Try to use Stone Edge on predicted switches from the likes of Fletchinder and Xatu, two common Torterra switch-ins
Mention how you can play around with Wood Hammer recoil + Switching it in on specific attacks in order to get it into Overgrow range, since at that point it becomes really hard to switch into
Team Options
========
  • This set struggles against offensive teams so pokemon that has great matchup against them are great. Choice Scarf users such as Mesprit and Scyther are great examples and they also benefit from Torterra's great matchup against defensive teams
  • Setup sweepers such as Kabutops, Musharna, and Klinklang appreciate Torterra's ability to weaken defensive pokemon for them to sweep with more ease
  • Opposing wallbreakers such as Tauros, Samurott, and Mawile make for great partners as the both of them can heavily pressure the opposing team
  • Uxie and Lanturn work well with Torterra as they can give it a safe switch via a slow U-turn and Volt Switch. The former also provides Stealth Rock support to aid Torterra as it is able to guarantee the 2HKO defensive Uxie with Wood Hammer after Stealth Rock

[SET]
name: Rock Polish
move 1: Rock Polish
move 4: Stone Edge
item: Life Orb

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Rock Polish greatly increases Torterra's Speed by two stages, allowing it to outspeed most of the unboosted tier
  • Wood Hammer hits very hard when boosted with a Life Orb but at the cost of taking recoil damage
  • Earthquake is the obligatory secondary STAB move that forms great coverage with Wood Hammer, nailing Poison- and Fire-types such as Garbodor and Pyroar
  • Stone Edge forms the infamous "EdgeQuake" combo with Earthquake to nail Flying-types such as Scyther, Fletchinder, and Xatu
For this set, I would probably rename it to something like "Set-Up" or something like that and slash SD after Rock Polish. I'll get a few more people to weigh in on this, but I have been using SD + 3 Attacks Tort on Balance, and it is amazing. The amount of pressure it puts on the most common Stall / Balance builds means it will always do something, as even resists at +2 can't take multiple hits (Weezing is 2HKOd by both Stone Edge and Wood Hammer). While the RP Set might be good against Offense, you rarely find the time to set up the RP since most of the time you want to just be spamming moves. However it is really easy to set up and SD against bulkier teams which is why I think it deserves as slash behind RP. Another option would be backslashing it behind both RP and SE, in order to form the DualDance set Finch and Bolts were talking about, while still maintaining the SD + 3 Attacks set I have been using.

Set Details
========
  • Maximum Attack investment is used to hit as hard as possible
  • A Jolly nature and maximum Speed investment are used to outspeed positive-natured Choice Scarf Mesprit and Rotom after a Rock Polish
  • However, an Adamant nature can be used for a boost in power
  • Life Orb is used to greatly heighten Torterra's damage output
  • Lum Berry can be used as a safety net against Burn and Scald users that can hinder its sweep
  • Overgrow helps Torterra to gain a significant boost to its Grass-type moves which can be nice

Usage Tips
========
  • Torterra should not try to sweep unless its checks and counters are either weakened or knocked out
  • It should be noted that Torterra can still be revenge killed even after a Rock Polish boost from priority moves such as Piloswine's Ice Shard and Fletchinder's Acrobatics as well as some Choice Scarf users such as Scyther Mentoin Choice Scarf Jynx > Scyther and Haunter
  • Torterra should not constantly use Wood Hammer if not necessary as it can heavily wear it down when factoring the recoil damage from it and Life Orb
  • Torterra's best situations to set up a Rock Polish are on Pokemon that it forces out such as Quagsire and Rhydon Also mention setting it up on Choice Locked Electric types, like Scarf Rotom
  • If Torterra is not your win condition, it can be used early- to mid-game to pressure the opponent due to the sheer power that it possesses

Team Options
========
  • Fire-types such as Pyroar and Magmortar has great defensive synergy with Torterra, dealing with Grass- and Bug-types that annoy it while Torterra handles Water and Rock-types that they struggle with
  • Rock-types such as Regirock, Archeops, and Kabutops work well with Torterra as they can easily threaten Flying- and Ice-types with their powerful STAB move which can greatly help it
  • Wallbreakers such as Kangaskhan, Sawk, and Mawile helps wear down Torterra's checks and counters which helps it open a way for it to sweep
  • Healing Wish support from the likes of Mesprit, Mega Audino or Musharna can aid Torterra as it can be played very aggressively early- to mid-game and be revived later on to clean up against the opposing team

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Seed Bomb
  • Swords Dance
  • defensive set
  • Curse
  • Substitute
  • Yache Berry

Checks and Counters
===================

**Flying-types**: Flying-types such as Scyther, Fletchinder, Vivillon, and Xatu have an immunity to Earthquake and they resist Wood Hammer. The former two can setup a Swords Dance against Torterra and hit it hard with their respective STAB moves. Xatu, though does not have a Flying-type STAB move to hit Torterra, can either setup a Calm Mind or heavily dent it with Heat Wave. Archeops does not like taking a Wood Hammer but can easily damage it with a STAB Acrobatics. It should be noted that none of these Pokemon appreciate taking a Stone Edge from Torterra. Mention Vivilon with Quiver Dance.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as Pyroar, Magmortar, and Combusken can easily take a Wood Hammer if needed and easily OHKO Torterra with their Fire-type attacks but they have to be wary of Earthquake.

**Weezing**: Weezing deserves a special mention for being one of the best counters to Torterra. Due to Levitate, it is immune to Torterra's Earthquakes and resists its Grass-type attacks. It can then either burn Torterra with Will-O-Wisp or slowly knock it out with Flamethrower.

**Bulky Grass-types**: Bulky Grass-types such as Tangela, Leafeon, and Gourgeist can stomach many hits from Torterra very well. Gourgeist is able to cripple Torterra by burning it with Will-O-Wisp but has to be careful of Crunch from the Choice Band set.

**Ice-types**: Ice-types such as Cryogonal, Aurorus, Jynx, and Piloswine cannot take a hit from Torterra but can easily outspeed and OHKO Torterra with their STAB attacks. Piloswine can also easily revenge kill Torterra with Ice Shard even after it boosts itself with a Rock Polish while Jynx has a Focus Sash which lets it take a hit from full and OHKO it with Ice Beam.
I'll ask more people on the QC team about the SD Slash, but for now tag me once you've implement my stuff, bolts's stuff, and finch's stuff and I'll give it another look.

-kal-

hi guys
is a Contributor Alumnus
Couple things:

1) I'd like to hear some other people's thoughts on backslashing Swords Dance on the Rock Polish set as I think double dance is viable, but it does face some competition from Rhydon and it appreciates the Stone Edge coverage more than Rhydon appreciates Megahorn coverage, so I guess it's up in the air as for this being worthwhile to backslash or not. Oh and while we're on the topic of the sweeping variant, I personally like Muscle Band (or whatever the name of the item to boost physical hits by x1.1 power is, I can't quite remember if that's correct atm) as LO damage wears down Torterra too much for my liking, but I don't think many others have tried it, so I would hold off before mentioning it.

2) I think Toxic should receive specific mention in the OO or in the set comments for the SR set as it actually can be quite useful for hitting various threats (I used it a while back and it has some nice utility). I know it could arguably fit under the mention of "defensive set" in the OO, but wouldn't hurt to have a specific mention of it.

3) Under flying types in the C&C, I'd add Rotom-Fan, Swellow, and maybe even Articuno. I know that they aren't exactly top tier threats, but they resist or are immune to both parts of Torterra's dual STAB and all are decently viable (you mention Vivillion and, imo, all of these have almost as much as, if not just as much, viability as Vivillion, so I figure they should be included in this list).

4) I don't think Healing Wish is worth mentioning specifically in the Team Options because almost all of the variants don't appreciate it much more than anything else in the tier and the sweeping variant is the lone exception and it doesn't necessarily appreciate it more than most other sweepers. I mean, if it's mentioned in the Team Options for a bunch of other win conditions in the tier, then sure it warrants a mention, but if it isn't, then I don't think we should draw the line for Torterra and include it unless it is specified that you don't need/necessarily want HWish support for a random SR or support Torterra.

Overall, looks like a nice analysis and covers almost everything! Would like to hear some other people's thoughts on the things I said about the sweeping set before you change it as I'm not entirely sure what warrants being added/deleted/mentioned.
Yeah hollwood mentioned dual dance in the QC pm, and fwiw I trust his judgement (and yours) on the set. I havent used it myself, but I remember getting destroyed by SD Torterra a while back; I forget if it was dual dance or not, but yeah its worth the slash. I also like Lum Berry on the Rock Polish set since Torterra is a good switch into Lanturn and Lum on offensive setup mons is always good. Life Orb is pretty unappealing to me because potential hazard damage + wood hammer recoil + life orb takes away a ton of health.

When you mention Stone Edge on the tank set, specifically note how hitting Xatu is important because otherwise it poses a major nuisance by stopping Torterra from setting Stealth Rock. In the overview, I'd note that being a Stealth Rock setter which cannot reliably pressure Xatu (it has to rely on an inaccurate coverage move to hit it) is a negative, as whenever I pick a Stealh Rocker I usually try to have one that can threaten out Xatu, like Piloswine, Rhydon, Aurorus, etc.

In moves of the tank set mention that it can use 3 attacks + synthesis; this was a common set back in the megalix era and it still has some effectiveness now.

Put Facade somewhere on the CB set, either just a moves mention or slashing after Crunch, as it makes it so that Torterra isnt useless when statused (albeit being immune to 2 status moves) and Crunch is really just filler anyways. I would also consider putting Rock Polish before Choice Band, as while Torterra's STAB moves are good being locked into one of them can put you in a really bad position, and I don't think it really needs CB to be an effective wallbreaker, even the tank set hits pretty darn hard and of course the RP set does as well.
I'll ask more people on the QC team about the SD Slash, but for now tag me once you've implement my stuff, bolts's stuff, and finch's stuff and I'll give it another look.
Implemented all these

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
[Overview]
I actually dont think its a reliable Stealth Rocker at all for the reasons I've stated regarding its matchup versus Xatu, its just a good tank in general with a decent typing. It certainly isnt bad since it has a decent matchup versus a bunch of hazard setters but being Xatu bait sucks.

[Tank]
[Moves]
Add Garbodor as a target for Earthquake since Wood Hammering a Garbodor really sucks since you take helmet + wood hammer recoil.
Toxic also hits Tangela, which is cool. Stone Edge also hits Scyther, another important target.

[SD]
I think it should be described as "max hp and this defense avoids 2hkos from x and y, with the rest of the evs put into attack for solid(or another adjective here) damage output". You could mention a spread with much more defensive investment (maybe just max max although there might be some custom spread I can try to poke around with calcs for) as the current spread only avoids those 2HKOs after rocks damage and having more defense to have a better chance of avoiding those 2HKOs with more prior damage than just rocks, as in a realistic scenario its not too difficult to wear down Torterra.

[UT]
Rephrase the first bullet point to describing how this trait would be used in battle, right now its just stated as a fact.
In the 4th bullet add something about why this makes Torterra somewhat of a less reliable switch into them, and you should be somewhat wary of doing so too often.

[TO]
I'm iffy on the last bullet point since its super vague, generally putting random setup mons in TO if stealth rockers is kinda pointless and obvious, but if you can specify some OHKOs or 2HKOs that rocks help with then you can keep it.

[Setup Sweeper]
Name this set "Dancing Continent (Setup Sweeper)"

[SD]
Jolly is also important to outspeed a bunch of stuff unboosted such as max spe neutral Aurorus, Pawniard and Flareon. Note the big negative of using Life Orb as the recoil it stacks with Wood Hammer wears Torterra down super quickly. If you have the time I'd check with some calcs to find a numerical benefit of using Adamant, I think it helps a bunch versus Weezing, there might be some other stuff too.

[TO]
Mention that Sawk can lure in Weezing with Zen Headbutt or Mold Breaker EQ, paving the way for Torterra to sweeper with more ease.
I wouldnt mention hazard support her unless you can find specific 2HKOs or OHKOs it helps with, having rocks probably helps with some but most of torts checks are immune to Spikes like Flying types and Weezing.

[CB]
I honestly think this set is straight garbage since locking yourself into hammer or EQ gives setup opportunities to huge portion of the tier, and its not letting you abuse its excellent dual STAB properly. Please move it to OO, it isnt worth a full set.

Regardless the content here looks fine so I'll just move on to the rest.

[OO]
Seed Bomb was moved to moves of the first set, remove it.
The premise of a mention of a defensive set is kinda vague and should also be removed since I said earlier just to mention are more defensive spread in set details of the tank set.

[C&C]
Weezing should be at the very least moved above Fire-types, and maybe above Flying types, because it is certainly a much better answer than Fire types and it can only lose to the Lum SD set if it hits 2 Stone Edges and has some prior damage.

Combusken isnt easily taking a Wood Hammer since non eviolite takes min 40ish from the tank sets Wood Hammer.

Remove Aurorus since it cant switch in at all and modest aurorus is outsped by Jolly tort. Replace Jynx with Vanilluxe since Vanilluxe can chew a hit while without a sash Jynx just dies to any attack from tort.

These are a lot of changes so implement this and I'll look it over again.

edit: I talked to disjunction and metaphysical and they both agree with me on removing cb, so unless anybody really objects to it please move it to oo.

Last edited:

-kal-

hi guys
is a Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]
I actually dont think its a reliable Stealth Rocker at all for the reasons I've stated regarding its matchup versus Xatu, its just a good tank in general with a decent typing. It certainly isnt bad since it has a decent matchup versus a bunch of hazard setters but being Xatu bait sucks.

[Tank]
[Moves]
Add Garbodor as a target for Earthquake since Wood Hammering a Garbodor really sucks since you take helmet + wood hammer recoil.
Toxic also hits Tangela, which is cool. Stone Edge also hits Scyther, another important target.

[SD]
I think it should be described as "max hp and this defense avoids 2hkos from x and y, with the rest of the evs put into attack for solid(or another adjective here) damage output". You could mention a spread with much more defensive investment (maybe just max max although there might be some custom spread I can try to poke around with calcs for) as the current spread only avoids those 2HKOs after rocks damage and having more defense to have a better chance of avoiding those 2HKOs with more prior damage than just rocks, as in a realistic scenario its not too difficult to wear down Torterra.

[UT]
Rephrase the first bullet point to describing how this trait would be used in battle, right now its just stated as a fact.
In the 4th bullet add something about why this makes Torterra somewhat of a less reliable switch into them, and you should be somewhat wary of doing so too often.

[TO]
I'm iffy on the last bullet point since its super vague, generally putting random setup mons in TO if stealth rockers is kinda pointless and obvious, but if you can specify some OHKOs or 2HKOs that rocks help with then you can keep it.

[Setup Sweeper]
Name this set "Dancing Continent (Setup Sweeper)"

[SD]
Jolly is also important to outspeed a bunch of stuff unboosted such as max spe neutral Aurorus, Pawniard and Flareon. Note the big negative of using Life Orb as the recoil it stacks with Wood Hammer wears Torterra down super quickly. If you have the time I'd check with some calcs to find a numerical benefit of using Adamant, I think it helps a bunch versus Weezing, there might be some other stuff too.

[TO]
Mention that Sawk can lure in Weezing with Zen Headbutt or Mold Breaker EQ, paving the way for Torterra to sweeper with more ease.
I wouldnt mention hazard support her unless you can find specific 2HKOs or OHKOs it helps with, having rocks probably helps with some but most of torts checks are immune to Spikes like Flying types and Weezing.

[CB]
I honestly think this set is straight garbage since locking yourself into hammer or EQ gives setup opportunities to huge portion of the tier, and its not letting you abuse its excellent dual STAB properly. Please move it to OO, it isnt worth a full set.

Regardless the content here looks fine so I'll just move on to the rest.

[OO]
Seed Bomb was moved to moves of the first set, remove it.
The premise of a mention of a defensive set is kinda vague and should also be removed since I said earlier just to mention are more defensive spread in set details of the tank set.

[C&C]
Weezing should be at the very least moved above Fire-types, and maybe above Flying types, because it is certainly a much better answer than Fire types and it can only lose to the Lum SD set if it hits 2 Stone Edges and has some prior damage.

Combusken isnt easily taking a Wood Hammer since non eviolite takes min 40ish from the tank sets Wood Hammer.

Remove Aurorus since it cant switch in at all and modest aurorus is outsped by Jolly tort. Replace Jynx with Vanilluxe since Vanilluxe can chew a hit while without a sash Jynx just dies to any attack from tort.

These are a lot of changes so implement this and I'll look it over again.

edit: I talked to disjunction and metaphysical and they both agree with me on removing cb, so unless anybody really objects to it please move it to oo.
implemented.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
  • Lum Berry can be used as a safety net against Burn and Scald users that can hinder its sweep
The "can be" implies its a secondary slash, so reword that.
Apart from that this looks good and any other small errors the 3rd checker will help fix up.

QC 2/3

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I WILL CHECK THIS

edit: GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Torterra sports a great offensive presence that is supported by its high Base Power coupled with its High base power STAB moves. Furthermore, Torterra has solid all-around bulk and a decent typing, which make it that lets it be a reliable tank which with its decent typing, lets it that can take on many pertinent threats in the tier such as Lanturn, Garbodor, Rhydon, and Klinklang. Torterra is also very versatile, being able to play the roles of a tank, late-game sweeper, and a wallbreaker. Sadly, Torterra is weak to common Fire-, Flying-, and Ice-types attacks from the likes of Pyroar, Archeops, and Jynx. In addition, Torterra, and it is unable to reliably pressure Xatu, a very popular Pokemon at the moment, (no time-sensitive stuff) which greatly hinders its role as a Stealth Rock setter. Torterra's lackluster Speed also leaves it to be very susceptible to being KOed by revenge killers.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Wood Hammer is an used extremely strong STAB move, (AC) though it comes at the cost of taking recoil damage. Seed Bomb can be used over Wood Hammer if players do not want to take recoil damage on Torterra. Earthquake forms great coverage with Wood Hammer, nailing Fire-, Poison-, (AC) and Steel-types such as Magmortar, Garbodor, and Mawile very hard. Stealth Rock is used as a great utility move, (AC) as it wears down the opposing team's Pokemon each time they come in. Toxic is an option to cripple Pokemon that Torterra has trouble against, (AC) such as Gourgeist-S and Scyther. Synthesis provides Torterra with longevity, making it a more efficient tank. Stone Edge can be used to nail Scyther and Xatu, which who otherwise can set up Swords Dance or Calm Mind, respectively, on Torterra respectively. Being able to heavily damage the latter is really important, (AC) as it can stop Torterra from setting up Stealth Rock. A set with Synthesis with 3 Attacks Another attack can be used over Stealth Rock if players already have a Stealth Rock setter. (AP)

Set Details
========

The 252 HP EVs maximum investment in HP and 128 Defense EVs ensure investment ensures that Tauros's Rock Climb and Fire Blast as well as Kangaskhan's Silk Scarf-boosted Double-Edge will not 2HKO Torterra. The rest is placed in Attack with an Adamant nature for solid damage output. A fully physically defensive spread is an option to take on physical attackers much more reliably. Leftovers is used to provide Torterra with passive recovery. Overgrow boosts the power of is the ability of choice for Torterra gain a boost to Torterra's Grass-type moves when it is loe low on health, which could be crucial.

Usage Tips
========

Players should take advantage of Torterra's great STAB combination in order to scare out or beat many common entry hazard setters, (AC) which can help the team in preventing their opponents from setting up entry hazards on their field. Players should also switch Torterra into Pokemon that it can beat one-on-one, (AC) such as Tauros, Kangaskhan, defensive Lanturn, and Rhydon, (AC) to take hits from them for the team. From there, Torterra can set up Stealth Rock or heavily damage them with its attacks. Use Synthesis whenever Torterra is low on health so that it can take hits more comfortably, (AC) but do not use it too often, (AC) as it only has 8 PP. Though Torterra can beat many bulky Water-types such as Quagsire and Lanturn, it does not appreciate a Scald burn from them, (AC) as it can heavily cripple it so it is highly encouraged that players do not directly switch Torterra into them unless it is needed. Use Torterra's STAB attacks accordingly depending on which Pokemon it is against and which Pokemon you expect the opponent to bring in.

Team Options
========

Garbodor makes for a great partner, (AC) as it can set up Spikes and Toxic Spikes, which that works well in conjunction with Torterra's Stealth Rock; (ASC) and it can also deal with bulky Grass-types such as Tangela, which that Torterra struggles with, (AC) while it Torterra takes care of Ground-types such as Rhydon. Bulky Water-types such as Lanturn and Poliwrath work well with Torterra, (AC) as they cover its Ice- and Fire-type weaknesses. Clerics such as Mega Audino and the aforementioned Lanturn also make for great partners, (AC) as they provide Heal Bell support as Torterra is very vulnerable to being crippled by status that cripples it. Pokemon that can take on Flying-types such as Xatu and Scyther are greatly appreciated. Malamar is able to take on Xatu, (AC) and Mawile beats Scyther with ease.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Rock Polish is used to greatly increase Torterra's Speed by two stages ("greatly" and "by two stages" are redundant imo, just pick one), allowing it to outspeed most of the unboosted tier. Swords Dance can be used instead so that Torterra has better matchup against defensive teams, being able to clean up against them. Wood Hammer is used as a STAB move that hits very hard when boosted but at the cost of taking recoil damage. Earthquake is the obligatory secondary STAB move that forms great coverage with Wood Hammer, nailing Poison- and Fire-types such as Garbodor and Pyroar. Stone Edge forms the infamous EdgeQuake combo with Earthquake, nailing that nails Flying-types such as Scyther, Swellow, and Xatu, all of which who otherwise can wall Torterra.

Set Details
========

The maximum Attack investment is used for Torterra to hit as hard as possible. A Jolly nature and maximum Speed investment are used to outspeed positive-natured Choice Scarf Mesprit and Rotom after a Rock Polish as well as Modest Aurorus, Adamant Pawniard, (AC) and (Adamant? if so you might as well just say "as well as neutral-natured Aurorus, Pawniard, and Flareon") Flareon before a boost. However, an Adamant nature can be used for more power. Lum Berry is used as a safety net against burn and Scald users, which that can hinder its sweep, (AC) so that Torterra can set up more easily. A Life Orb can be used instead to greatly heighten Torterra's damage output, (AC) though it can easily wear Torterra down, (AC) Torterra especially with Wood Hammer's recoil. Overgrow helps gives Torterra to gain a significant boost to its Grass-type moves when it is low on health which can be nice.

Usage Tips
========

Torterra should not try to sweep unless its checks and counters are either heavily weakened or knocked out. It should be noted that Torterra can still be revenge killed even after a Rock Polish boost by from priority moves such as Piloswine's and Vanilluxe's Ice Shard as well as some Choice Scarf users such as Scyther and Jynx. Torterra should not constantly repeatedly use Wood Hammer if not necessary, (AC) as its recoil along with Life Orb's recoil can heavily wear it Torterra down when factoring the recoil damage from it and Life Orb. Torterra's best situations to set up a Rock Polish are on Pokemon that it forces out, (AC) such as Quagsire and Rhydon as well as Rotom locked into an Electric-type attack. If Torterra runs Swords Dance, it should use it against more defensive teams to break them more efficiently. If Torterra is not your win condition, it can be used early- to and mid-game to pressure the opponent due to the sheer power that it possesses.

Team Options
========

Fire-types such as Pyroar and Magmortar has have great defensive synergy with Torterra, dealing with Grass- and Bug-types that annoy it while Torterra handles Water- and Rock-types that they struggle with. Rock-types such as Regirock, Archeops, and Kabutops work well with Torterra, (AC) as they can easily threaten Flying- and Ice-types with their powerful STAB moves which can greatly help it (kinda vague, so either remove or specify, e.g. ", greatly helping it [do something]"). Wallbreakers such as Kangaskhan, Sawk, and Mawile help wear down Torterra's checks and counters, paving the which helps it open a way for it to sweep. For example, Sawk is able to lure in Weezing and hit it with Zen Headbutt or Mold Breaker Earthquake, (AC) which can allow Torterra to sweep more easily. Pokemon such as Xatu and Lanturn work well with Torterra, (AC) as they can give it a safe switch in via a slow U-turn and Volt Switch, (AC) respectively.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Curse can be used to increase Torterra's Attack and Defense but at the cost of lowering its Speed. Substitute is an alternative for Torterra to block status and (I think? you were missing something here) set up a Rock Polish or Swords Dance more easily; (ASC) it and also eases prediction. Yache Berry can be used for Torterra to take an Ice-type attack from the likes of Jynx and Piloswine and KO them in return retaliation. A Choice Band set is an option that lets Torterra to be a fearsome wallbreaker.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Flying-types**: Flying-types such as Scyther, Vivillon, Swellow, Rotom-S, and Xatu have an immunity to Earthquake and they resist Wood Hammer. Scyther and Vivillon can set up a Swords Dance and Quiver Dance against Torterra, respectively, while Vivillon can setup Quiver Dances and hit it hard with their respective STAB moves. Xatu, though it does not have a Flying-type STAB move to hit Torterra with, can either set up a Calm Mind or heavily dent it with Heat Wave. Archeops does not like taking a Wood Hammer but can easily damage it Torterra with a STAB Acrobatics. It should be noted that none of these Pokemon appreciate taking a Stone Edge from Torterra.

**Weezing**: Weezing deserves a special mention for being one of the best counters to Torterra. Due to Levitate, it is immune to Torterra's Earthquakes, (AC) and it also resists its Torterra's Grass-type attacks. It can then either burn Torterra with Will-O-Wisp or slowly knock it out ("wear/break it down" imo) with Flamethrower.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as Pyroar, Magmortar, and Combusken can easily OHKO Torterra with their Fire-type attacks, (AC) but they have to be wary of Earthquake.

**Bulky Grass-types**: Bulky Grass-types such as Tangela, Leafeon, and Gourgeist can stomach many hits from Torterra very well. Gourgeist is able to cripple Torterra by burning it with Will-O-Wisp but has to be careful of Crunch from the Choice Band set.

**Ice-types**: Ice-types such as Cryogonal, Articuno, Regice, Jynx, and Piloswine cannot take a hit from Torterra but can easily outspeed and OHKO Torterra with their STAB attacks. Piloswine and Vanilluxe can also easily revenge kill Torterra with Ice Shard even after it has a Rock Polish boosts itself with a Rock Polish, (AC) and, discounting Stone Edge, the latter can take a hit except a Stone Edge if needed.

Last edited:

Empress

We are all in Jeopardy!
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Cool, 1337 posts.
Add
Remove

Comment

[OVERVIEW]

Torterra sports a great offensive presence that is supported by its high Base Power STAB moves. Furthermore, Torterra has solid all-around bulk and a decent typing, which make it a reliable tank that can take on many pertinent threats in the tier such as Lanturn, Garbodor, Rhydon, and Klinklang. Torterra is also very versatile, being able to play the roles of a tank, late-game sweeper, and wallbreaker. Sadly, Torterra is weak to common Fire-, Flying-, and Ice-type attacks from the likes of Pyroar, Archeops, and Jynx, and it is unable to reliably pressure Xatu, (AC) which greatly hinders its role as a Stealth Rock setter. Torterra's lackluster Speed also leaves it very susceptible to being KOed by revenge killers.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Wood Hammer is an extremely strong STAB move, though it comes at the cost of recoil damage. Seed Bomb can be used over Wood Hammer if players you do not want to take inflict recoil damage on Torterra. Earthquake forms has great coverage with alongside Wood Hammer, nailing Fire-, Poison-, and Steel-types such as Magmortar, Garbodor, and Mawile very hard. Stealth Rock is a great utility move, as it wears down the opposing team's Pokemon each time they come in. Toxic is an option to cripple Pokemon that Torterra has trouble against, such as Gourgeist-S and Scyther. Synthesis provides Torterra with longevity, making it a more efficient tank. Stone Edge can be used to nail Scyther and Xatu, which otherwise can set up Swords Dance or Calm Mind, respectively, on Torterra. Being able to heavily damage the latter is really important, as it can stop Torterra from setting up Stealth Rock. Another attack can be used over Stealth Rock if players your team already have has a Stealth Rock setter.

Set Details
========

The 252 HP EVs and 128 Defense EVs ensure that Tauros's Rock Climb and Fire Blast as well as Kangaskhan's Silk Scarf-boosted Double-Edge will not 2HKO Torterra. The rest is remaining EVs are placed in Attack with an Adamant nature for a solid damage output. A fully physically defensive spread is an option to take on physical attackers much more reliably. Leftovers is used to provide Torterra with passive recovery. Overgrow boosts the power of Torterra's Grass-type moves when it is low on health, which could can be crucial.

Usage Tips
========

Players You should take advantage of Torterra's great STAB combination in order to scare out or beat many common entry hazard setters, which can help prevent the opponent foe from setting up entry hazards. Players You should also switch Torterra into Pokemon that it can beat one-on-one, such as Tauros, Kangaskhan, defensive Lanturn, and Rhydon, to take hits from them for the team. From there, Torterra can set up Stealth Rock or heavily damage them with its attacks. Use Synthesis whenever Torterra is low on health so that it can take hits more comfortably, but do not use it too often, as it only has 8 PP. Though Torterra can beat many bulky Water-types such as Quagsire and Lanturn, it does not appreciate a Scald burn from them, so it is highly encouraged that players you do not directly switch Torterra into them unless it is needed. Use Torterra's STAB attacks accordingly depending on which Pokemon it is against and which Pokemon you expect the opponent to bring in.

Team Options
========

Garbodor makes for a great partner, as it can set up Spikes and Toxic Spikes, which work well in conjunction with Torterra's Stealth Rock; it can also deal with bulky Grass-types such as Tangela, which Torterra struggles with, while Torterra takes care of Ground-types such as Rhydon. Bulky Water-types such as Lanturn and Poliwrath work well with Torterra, as they cover its Ice- and Fire-type weaknesses. Clerics such as Mega Audino and Lanturn also make for great partners, as Torterra is very vulnerable to being crippled by status ailments. Pokemon that can take on Flying-types such as Xatu and Scyther are greatly appreciated. Malamar is able to take on Xatu, and Mawile beats Scyther with ease.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Rock Polish is used to increase Torterra's Speed by two stages, allowing it to outspeed most of the unboosted tier. Swords Dance can be used instead so that Torterra has a better matchup against defensive teams, being able to clean up against them. Wood Hammer hits very hard when boosted but comes at the cost of taking recoil damage. Earthquake forms has great coverage with Wood Hammer, nailing Poison- and Fire-types such as Garbodor and Pyroar. Stone Edge forms the EdgeQuake combo combination with Earthquake, nailing Flying-types such as Scyther, Swellow, and Xatu, all of which otherwise can wall Torterra.

Set Details
========

The maximum Maximum Attack investment is used for Torterra to hit as hard as possible. A Jolly nature and maximum Speed investment are used to outspeed positive-natured Choice Scarf Mesprit and Rotom after a Rock Polish boost as well as neutral-natured Aurorus, Pawniard, and Flareon before a boost. However, an Adamant nature can be used for more power. Lum Berry is used as a safety net against burn (Will-O-Wisp?) and Scald users, which can hinder its sweep, so that Torterra can set up more easily. A Life Orb can be used instead to greatly heighten increase Torterra's damage output, though it can easily wear Torterra down, especially with Wood Hammer's recoil. Overgrow gives Torterra a significant boost to its Grass-type moves when it is low on health.

Usage Tips
========

Torterra should not try to sweep unless its checks and counters are either heavily weakened or knocked out. It should be noted that Torterra can be revenge killed even after a Rock Polish boost by priority moves such as Piloswine's and Vanilluxe's Ice Shard as well as some Choice Scarf users such as Scyther and Jynx. Torterra should not repeatedly use Wood Hammer if it's not necessary, as its recoil along with Life Orb's recoil can heavily wear Torterra down. Torterra's best situations to set up a Rock Polish are on Pokemon that it forces out, such as Quagsire and Rhydon, (AC) as well as Rotom locked into an Electric-type attack. If Torterra runs Swords Dance, it should use it against more defensive teams to break them more efficiently. If Torterra is not your win condition, it can be used early- and mid-game to pressure the opponent opposing team due to the sheer power that it possesses.

Team Options
========

Fire-types such as Pyroar and Magmortar have great defensive synergy with Torterra, dealing with Grass- and Bug-types that annoy it, (AC) while Torterra handles Water- and Rock-types that they struggle with. Rock-types such as Regirock, Archeops, and Kabutops work well with Torterra, as they can easily threaten Flying- and Ice-types with their powerful STAB moves. Wallbreakers such as Kangaskhan, Sawk, and Mawile can help wear down Torterra's checks and counters, paving the way for it to sweep. For example, Sawk is able to lure in Weezing and hit it with Zen Headbutt or Mold Breaker Earthquake, which can allow Torterra to sweep more easily. Pokemon such as Xatu and Lanturn work well with Torterra, as they can give it a safe switch in via a slow U-turn and Volt Switch, respectively.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Curse can be used to increase Torterra's Attack and Defense but comes at the cost of lowering its Speed. Substitute is an alternative for Torterra to block status moves and set up a Rock Polish or Swords Dance more easily; it also eases prediction. Yache Berry can be used for Torterra to take an Ice-type attack from the likes of Jynx and Piloswine and KO them in return. A Choice Band set lets Torterra be a fearsome wallbreaker.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Flying-types**: Flying-types such as Scyther, Vivillon, Swellow, Rotom-S, and Xatu have an immunity to Earthquake and resist Wood Hammer. Scyther and Vivillon can set up a Swords Dance and Quiver Dance against Torterra, respectively, and hit it hard with their STAB moves. Xatu, though it does not have a Flying-type STAB move to hit Torterra with, can either set up a with Calm Mind or heavily dent it with Heat Wave. Archeops does not like taking a Wood Hammer but can easily damage Torterra with a STAB-boosted Acrobatics. It should be noted that none of these Pokemon appreciate taking a Stone Edge from Torterra.

**Weezing**: Weezing deserves a special mention for being is (fluff) one of the best counters to Torterra. Due to Levitate, it is immune to Torterra's Earthquakes, and it also resists Torterra's Grass-type attacks. It can then either burn Torterra with Will-O-Wisp or slowly wear it down with Flamethrower.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as Pyroar, Magmortar, and Combusken can easily OHKO Torterra with their Fire-type attacks, but they have to be wary of Earthquake.

**Bulky Grass-types**: Bulky Grass-types such as Tangela, Leafeon, and Gourgeist (which one?) can stomach many hits from Torterra very well. Gourgeist (which one?) is able to cripple Torterra by burning it with Will-O-Wisp but has to be careful of Crunch from the Choice Band set (CB isn't even a main set though).

**Ice-types**: Ice-types such as Cryogonal, Articuno, Regice, Jynx, and Piloswine cannot take a hit from Torterra but can easily outspeed and OHKO Torterra with their STAB attacks. Piloswine and Vanilluxe can also easily revenge kill Torterra with Ice Shard even after it has a Rock Polish boost, and, discounting Stone Edge, the latter can take a hit if needed, though it must watch out for Stone Edge.

GP 2/2

Last edited:

-kal-

hi guys
is a Contributor Alumnus
Cool, 1337 posts.
Add
Remove

Comment

[OVERVIEW]

Torterra sports a great offensive presence that is supported by its high Base Power STAB moves. Furthermore, Torterra has solid all-around bulk and a decent typing, which make it a reliable tank that can take on many pertinent threats in the tier such as Lanturn, Garbodor, Rhydon, and Klinklang. Torterra is also very versatile, being able to play the roles of tank, late-game sweeper, and wallbreaker. Sadly, Torterra is weak to common Fire-, Flying-, and Ice-type attacks from the likes of Pyroar, Archeops, and Jynx, and it is unable to reliably pressure Xatu, which greatly hinders its role as a Stealth Rock setter. Torterra's lackluster Speed also leaves it very susceptible to being KOed by revenge killers.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Wood Hammer is an extremely strong STAB move, though it comes at the cost of recoil damage. Seed Bomb can be used over Wood Hammer if you do not want to inflict recoil damage on Torterra. Earthquake has great coverage alongside Wood Hammer, nailing Fire-, Poison-, and Steel-types such as Magmortar, Garbodor, and Mawile very hard. Stealth Rock is a great utility move, as it wears down the opposing team's Pokemon each time they come in. Toxic is an option to cripple Pokemon that Torterra has trouble against, such as Gourgeist-S and Scyther. Synthesis provides Torterra with longevity, making it a more efficient tank. Stone Edge can be used to nail Scyther and Xatu, which otherwise can set up Swords Dance or Calm Mind, respectively, on Torterra. Being able to heavily damage the latter is really important, as it can stop Torterra from setting up Stealth Rock. Another attack can be used over Stealth Rock if your team already has a Stealth Rock setter.

Set Details
========

The 252 HP EVs and 128 Defense EVs ensure that Tauros's Rock Climb and Fire Blast as well as Kangaskhan's Silk Scarf-boosted Double-Edge will not 2HKO Torterra. The remaining EVs are placed in Attack with an Adamant nature for a solid damage output. A fully physically defensive spread is an option to take on physical attackers much more reliably. Leftovers is used to provide Torterra with passive recovery. Overgrow boosts the power of Torterra's Grass-type moves when it is low on health, which can be crucial.

Usage Tips
========

You should take advantage of Torterra's great STAB combination in order to scare out or beat many common entry hazard setters, which can help prevent the foe from setting up entry hazards. You should also switch Torterra into Pokemon that it can beat one-on-one, such as Tauros, Kangaskhan, defensive Lanturn, and Rhydon, to take hits from them for the team. From there, Torterra can set up Stealth Rock or heavily damage them with its attacks. Use Synthesis whenever Torterra is low on health so that it can take hits more comfortably, but do not use it too often, as it only has 8 PP. Though Torterra can beat many bulky Water-types such as Quagsire and Lanturn, it does not appreciate a Scald burn from them, so it is highly encouraged that you do not directly switch Torterra into them unless it is needed. Use Torterra's STAB attacks accordingly depending on which Pokemon it is against and which Pokemon you expect the opponent to bring in.

Team Options
========

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Rock Polish is used to increase Torterra's Speed by two stages, allowing it to outspeed most of the unboosted tier. Swords Dance can be used instead so that Torterra has a better matchup against defensive teams, being able to clean up against them. Wood Hammer hits very hard when boosted but comes at the cost of taking recoil damage. Earthquake has great coverage with Wood Hammer, nailing Poison- and Fire-types such as Garbodor and Pyroar. Stone Edge forms the EdgeQuake combination with Earthquake, nailing Flying-types such as Scyther, Swellow, and Xatu, all of which otherwise can wall Torterra.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack investment is used for Torterra to hit as hard as possible. A Jolly nature and maximum Speed investment are used to outspeed positive-natured Choice Scarf Mesprit and Rotom after a Rock Polish boost as well as neutral-natured Aurorus, Pawniard, and Flareon before a boost. However, an Adamant nature can be used for more power. Lum Berry is used as a safety net against Will-O-Wisp and Scald users, which can hinder its sweep, so that Torterra can set up more easily. A Life Orb can be used instead to greatly increase Torterra's damage output, though it can easily wear Torterra down, especially with Wood Hammer's recoil. Overgrow gives Torterra a significant boost to its Grass-type moves when it is low on health.

Usage Tips
========

Torterra should not try to sweep unless its checks and counters are either heavily weakened or knocked out. It should be noted that Torterra can be revenge killed even after a Rock Polish boost by priority moves such as Piloswine's and Vanilluxe's Ice Shard as well as some Choice Scarf users such as Scyther and Jynx. Torterra should not repeatedly use Wood Hammer if it's not necessary, as its recoil along with Life Orb's recoil can heavily wear Torterra down. Torterra's best situations to set up a Rock Polish are on Pokemon that it forces out, such as Quagsire and Rhydon, as well as Rotom locked into an Electric-type attack. If Torterra runs Swords Dance, it should use it against more defensive teams to break them more efficiently. If Torterra is not your win condition, it can be used early- and mid-game to pressure the opposing team due to the sheer power that it possesses.

Team Options
========

Fire-types such as Pyroar and Magmortar have great defensive synergy with Torterra, dealing with Grass- and Bug-types that annoy it, while Torterra handles Water- and Rock-types that they struggle with. Rock-types such as Regirock, Archeops, and Kabutops work well with Torterra, as they can easily threaten Flying- and Ice-types with their powerful STAB moves. Wallbreakers such as Kangaskhan, Sawk, and Mawile can help wear down Torterra's checks and counters, paving the way for it to sweep. For example, Sawk is able to lure in Weezing and hit it with Zen Headbutt or Mold Breaker Earthquake, which can allow Torterra to sweep more easily. Pokemon such as Xatu and Lanturn work well with Torterra, as they can give it a safe switch in via a slow U-turn and Volt Switch, respectively.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Checks and Counters
===================

**Flying-types**: Flying-types such as Scyther, Vivillon, Swellow, Rotom-S, and Xatu have an immunity to Earthquake and resist Wood Hammer. Scyther and Vivillon can set up a Swords Dance and Quiver Dance against Torterra, respectively, and hit it hard with their STAB moves. Xatu, though it does not have a Flying-type STAB move to hit Torterra with, can either set up with Calm Mind or heavily dent it with Heat Wave. Archeops does not like taking a Wood Hammer but can easily damage Torterra with a STAB-boosted Acrobatics. It should be noted that none of these Pokemon appreciate taking a Stone Edge from Torterra.

**Weezing**: Weezing is one of the best counters to Torterra. Due to Levitate, it is immune to Torterra's Earthquakes, and it also resists Torterra's Grass-type attacks. It can then either burn Torterra with Will-O-Wisp or slowly wear it down with Flamethrower.

**Bulky Grass-types**: Bulky Grass-types such as Tangela, Leafeon, and Gourgeist-S, and Gourgeist-XL can stomach many hits from Torterra very well. Gourgeist-S and Gourgeist-XL is able to cripple Torterra by burning it with Will-O-Wisp.

**Ice-types**: Ice-types such as Cryogonal, Articuno, Regice, Jynx, and Piloswine cannot take a hit from Torterra but can easily outspeed and OHKO Torterra with their STAB attacks. Piloswine and Vanilluxe can also easily revenge kill Torterra with Ice Shard even after it has a Rock Polish boost, and the latter can take a hit if needed, though it must watch out for Stone Edge.

GP 2/2
Thanks everyone, This is done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)