Truth, god of Stall. ( a NU RMT )

Alright, so many of you already know that I am a Stall freak. :3 With the complications of Regirock and Cloyster never going back into NU; my team has been set back greatly. However, I am slowly making readjustments so I can play this team again. Here is an over-view. ;) Hopefully you can help improve it! :D

Intoxicate @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 Health, Split Special Defense and Defense.
Moveset:
~ Defense Order
~ Heal Order
~ Toxic
~ Hidden Power Fire

This amazing creation of mine, while it may seem gimmicky; actually destroys ENTIRE teams. She is far to slow to make use of Roost, rocking a huge 115 Speed stat; so I went with Heal Order just because. The basic set up for this Vespiquen is a make or break game right from the start. If she gets set up; you automatically lose. There is no hope. She shuts down the number 1 sweeper in NU, Medicham, without even looking back. She is honestly a "gear check" as I call her. If you can't take her down, you are going to get 6-0'd without effort. She will set up all over your most common leads, only having problems with Stone Edge Primeape. Other then that, she will literally have a field day with your team. I am thinking of changing Heal Order to Rest, but its a tricky choice. If I do trade in Heal Order for Rest, I get MUCH higher PP stalling capabilities, besides the fact she has quite a lot of PP already. Hidden Power Fire is to hit the annoying Steel Types that think they can switch in and avoid my Toxic / PP Stalling. Her number 1 weakness is Roar and Whirlwind ( Stealth Rocks, aswell. ), which I have found to be pretty rare in NU teams.

Vileplume @ Leftovers ( On occasion, Big Root. )
Nature: Bold
EVs: 244 HP / 136 Def / 128 SpD
Moveset:
~ Substitute
~ Leech Seed
~ Hidden Power Ice
~ Sludge Bomb

I often use this Vileplume as a safeguard for my other walls. If she runs Big Root for the day, she will essentially just Leech Seed spam you, and have my other walls absorb all the hits. Sludge Bomb takes care of many Grass types who think they can switch into her and avoid Leech Seed. If they are part Poison type, I will just smash them with Hidden Power Ice; and that takes out Flying types as well. Many times, she will stall ENTIRE teams with her Sub Leech Combination. She is a true annoyance. <3

Nosferatu @ Leftovers
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 Health, 252 Special Defense, 6 Speed
Moveset:
~ Roost
~ Night Shade
~ Psycho Shift
~ Whirlwind

This is the GOD of all NU Stall teams. If you don't play with a Noctowl on a stall team, you are an idiot. Many people who have faced me underestimate Noctowl, and she often becomes the most potent threat. With the change of Cloyster and Regirock from NU to UU, she has lost her amazing team destroying abilities; but she keeps her amazing Wall Potentials, and still is a threat to be reckoned with. Anyone who has battled this Noctowl knows just how hard it is to take down, and just how freaking annoying it can be to your ENTIRE team. Whirlwind spam drains away so many people it makes me laugh. Sadly, I do not run Entry Hazards on my NU team due to the screwing of the Smogon tiers. It's very hard to keep your entry hazards up in NU, as there is no good Spin Blockers besides Dusclops ( Who dies so fast it's not even funny. ) If I had Entry Hazards to use, I am sure people would cry when Noctowl was sent out.

Shine On! @ Leftovers
Nature: Timid
Evs: 252 Speed, 252 Special Attack.
Moveset:
~ Will-o-wisp
~ Flamethrower
~ Hidden Power Ground
~ Protect

This is a very standard Entei, and often times saves my team by just simply absorbing attacks and throwing fast Will-o-wisps around. While that may seem insane, he does it with pride. Hidden Power Ground to smash into the many Skuntanks that roam the NU bracket. Protect to scout for moves being thrown around; and can often give me a free turn ( Specially when I use Mantine. ) if they use the wrong move against me. Flamethrower fries the many grass types that lurk in the bracket, and is a good STAB. Other then that, Entei is pretty much a weak link. I use him simply for the very fast Will-o-wisp he provides. His natural bulk is also quite nice.

OldAsHell @ Leftovers
Nature: Adamant
Evs: 252 Speed, 252 Attack
Moveset:
~ Rock Polish
~ Head Smash
~ Waterfall
~ Earthquake

This is often my last stand pokemon. With his fantastic type coverage, he destroys many weakened teams with STAB Head Smash and Waterfall. After a Rock Polish, he outspeeds the majority of the meta-game, barring stupidity like Choice Scarf Haunter ( Who the hell runs Choice Scarf on their Haunter? ) He is basically my clean up crew, in a old adorable Rock Fish bundle! :D I was thinking about Aqua Tail > Waterfall, but that's a messy situation on accuracy. Head Smash already has low accuracy. ><; For instance, I have had it miss 3 times in a row...

ROFLDEAD @ Leftovers
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 Health, 252 Special Defense 6 Special Attack
Ability: Thick Fat ( This is Vital. )
Moveset:
~ Calm Mind
~ Rest
~ Sleep Talk
~ Psychic

OH MY GOD. This Grumpig is a freaking BEAST. Entire teams die when I use this poor thing, as it gets so much game its not even funny. It is basically a Crocune; but has a terrible attacking type. The only way you are going to kill this Grumpig is if you have a Dark type. That way, I am forced to switch out of you. Otherwise, he will literally sweep your entire team without even breaking a sweat. You thought my Vespiquen was hard to take down, think again. This thing will put you in your place, and then some.

While the team is severely flawed without Entry Hazards, the basis of the entire team works VERY well. The only thing I fear is Entry Hazards used against me. Even then, they are very rare in the NU environment now that Cloyster and Nidoqueen aren't here. The pure insanity of this team is what makes many people fall, and since it is a well known team on PPN (www.Pokemonplatinum.net), I thought I'd finally just post it on Smogon to get it improved. I am having a hard time without my Cloyster at my side, as I ran an extremely nifty Cloyster set. It seemed to be the glue that carried my entire team to victory.

This team is ALL over Wi-fi, and I can work with whatever you suggest. Nothing is out of the picture when you suggest things to me, as I literally have almost everything to work with. I am a beast when it comes to finding perfect pokemon, and can RNG abuse most of the legendaries. All of my Pokemon run straight 31 IV's ( Unless they run specific HP types. ) and are completely legit. The only thing I'd like for you to avoid is suggesting are NYPC Kangaskhan, and Hypno. I cannot seem to find either of them. ><;

Thanks for your time! I'd appreciate your rate! =D

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
I don't really like this team, for a few reasons.

You have a huge SR weakness. Two regular weaknesses, a quadruple weakness and a grand total of no resists. For this reason, I would suggest a Spinner. Physically defensive Sandslash works nicely, and can also set up the Rocks for you (and works in the lead slot unlike anything else). It doesn't have recovery, so WishPass Flareon could go over Entei - it can do a lot of similar things and also pass Wish around. It also walls non-Choice Magmortar, which would otherwise sweep you.

Also, Choice Specs Espeon absolutely rapes you. The only resist you have is Grumpig, and nearly everyone is playing Skuntank or another Dark-type these days, making your Pig into Pursuit bait. Flareon would do something to solve this problem, and ResTalk bulky Skuntank might work as well.

You have big problems with Toxic. You set up your Vespiquen and then suddenly it gets Toxic'd - not only are you quickly forced to switch out, losing your boosts, (and take massive damage when coming back in to SR), you have no Cleric to heal the status off. Sure, you have three pokes that are effectively immune, but your Vespi still gets forced out.

Stone Edge ScarfApe is everywhere, and can take out a surprising portion of your team. Sandslash would solve this problem to an extent - if you can pass it Wish so it doesn't get worn down.

I don't really like this team, for a few reasons.

You have a huge SR weakness. Two regular weaknesses, a quadruple weakness and a grand total of no resists. For this reason, I would suggest a Spinner. Physically defensive Sandslash works nicely, and can also set up the Rocks for you (and works in the lead slot unlike anything else). It doesn't have recovery, so WishPass Flareon could go over Entei - it can do a lot of similar things and also pass Wish around. It also walls non-Choice Magmortar, which would otherwise sweep you.

Also, Choice Specs Espeon absolutely rapes you. The only resist you have is Grumpig, and nearly everyone is playing Skuntank or another Dark-type these days, making your Pig into Pursuit bait. Flareon would do something to solve this problem, and ResTalk bulky Skuntank might work as well.

You have big problems with Toxic. You set up your Vespiquen and then suddenly it gets Toxic'd - not only are you quickly forced to switch out, losing your boosts, (and take massive damage when coming back in to SR), you have no Cleric to heal the status off. Sure, you have three pokes that are effectively immune, but your Vespi still gets forced out.

Stone Edge ScarfApe is everywhere, and can take out a surprising portion of your team. Sandslash would solve this problem to an extent - if you can pass it Wish so it doesn't get worn down.
Yep. I understand my CS Espeon weakness, as I need a good check to her. I refuse to run Skuntank, as I try and be slightly unique when I build my teams. Sandslash seems like a nice spinner, and is a fine option for me to try out. What would you suggest to clear my CS Espeon weakness other then Skuntank?

I do not have big problems with Toxic. Generally, I predict Toxic right off the bat if they send a wall in against my Vespiquen. Then, I can send in Grumpig and start CM boosting as they can't do anything in return to my Grumpig ( Unless they run Skuntank, like the majority of the meta-game. I need a good check, but nothing really checks Skuntank... )

My SR Weakness isn't really an issue, due to my Quad weakness being in my lead spot. I put her there for a reason! :P Entei can Protect his health back with Leftovers slowly. Noctowl does have some issues with it, and her walling capabilities are hurt by the SR weakness. I agree I do need a Spinner, which was taken away from me when Cloyster moved to UU.

I will try Flareon > Entei, as I have had a want to try out 1 forever. Need to breed myself 1. ;)

Non-choice Magmotar is hard to play around.... Then again, what team doesn't have a Non-Choice Magmotar weakness. His coverage is just ridiculously stupid, so its hard to play around. Generally, I can kill him with HP Ground from Entei.

I appreciate the rate! I will be testing Flareon > Entei, and Sandslash > Vespiquen immediately. Thank you!

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Stone Edge Sandslash and Primeape are probably the two most common leads at the moment, in my experience. Therefore I wouldn't stick Vespiquen in the lead slot.

Flareon checks Specs Espeon when Specially Defensive, as it isn't 2HKOd with Protect + Leftovers even switching into Stealth Rock. Plus HP Ground is free setup for Vespi.

Sandslash is pretty threatening to Skuntank, usually forcing it out so Slash can set up Rocks or spin. From full HP it's rarely KOd by Explosion, as well (though it is OHKOd most of the time after SR damage.

True, non-Choice Magmortar is hard to play around by most teams, but at least most teams carry something that outspeeds it. I've been playing a team with it on, and it's slaughtering stall. The only thing that really hurts it is Thunder Wave Slowking... hmm...

You say Toxic isn't a problem, but it still forces your Vespi out.

Note that your Grumpig is stalled out by the everpresent Slowking. Guess Psychic variants are Relicanth bait, and Grass Knotters let Vileplume set up.

I would love to give you a game on Shoddy, if you're around.

Stone Edge Sandslash and Primeape are probably the two most common leads at the moment, in my experience. Therefore I wouldn't stick Vespiquen in the lead slot.

Flareon checks Specs Espeon when Specially Defensive, as it isn't 2HKOd with Protect + Leftovers even switching into Stealth Rock. Plus HP Ground is free setup for Vespi.

Sandslash is pretty threatening to Skuntank, usually forcing it out so Slash can set up Rocks or spin. From full HP it's rarely KOd by Explosion, as well (though it is OHKOd most of the time after SR damage.

True, non-Choice Magmortar is hard to play around by most teams, but at least most teams carry something that outspeeds it. I've been playing a team with it on, and it's slaughtering stall. The only thing that really hurts it is Thunder Wave Slowking... hmm...

You say Toxic isn't a problem, but it still forces your Vespi out.

Note that your Grumpig is stalled out by the everpresent Slowking. Guess Psychic variants are Relicanth bait, and Grass Knotters let Vileplume set up.

I would love to give you a game on Shoddy, if you're around.
I have a problem with Shoddy battle, actually. I hate it with a passion. I honestly think it ruined pokemon. However, I will Shoddy you. Give me a moment to put together my team. I will be on the Smogon University server, under the same name as this account. ( I Abuse Smeargles. )

You will have an obvious advantage over me, due to the fact you know my entire team. :P But that's alright

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
One of the primary goals of stall is to set up a few different kinds of entry hazards to pick off enemies. You have none. Instead of making Relicanth a sweeper, why not make it your lead to set up rocks (and iirc it does a reasonable amount to Sandslash). You could also try leading with Roselia, which can set up both Spikes and Tspikes (well, you can't run Leaf Storm or Sleep Powder if you run the former, but it makes good food for thought), and annoy opponents with Leech Seed. I would also replace Vileplume with Jumpluff, the latter is extremely annoying to kill and bar none the best Subseeder in NU. Of course, it would add another Rock weakness on your team...I agree with Ice eyes that you need more resists, not just for rocks, but something that can take rock moves in general. Actually, Sandslash would be a good choice for your team, as you can also Rapid Spin and functions as a physical wall of sorts. Hope this helped!

EDIT;; Reading through, I notice an excerpt under Noctowl as to why you didn't run entry hazards. Rapid Spin isn't common in NU, honestly the only Pokemon that normally run it are lead Armaldo and Sandslash, and...they're usually leads. Stall needs entry hazards, and while NU has few choices for Spikers and Tspikers, you must run a few. Rapid Spin is even less common than in higher tiers, and so if you don't like Dusclops, you don't have to worry about having a spin blocker.
btw Sheddy is actually quite effective if you can spin other entry hazards away and avoid status....

thumbs down for stall, but thumbs up for a well thought out team :]

entry hazards could take a toll on you, but not a very big threat, as already mentioned, specs espeon could indeed be a problem, while sableye could be a solution to that problem, immune to psychic as well as hp fighting, it could easily counter and or revenge kill it, you also lack a status healer, which could be resolved with aromatherapy on vileplume?

hopefully my input helped in some way :]

One of the primary goals of stall is to set up a few different kinds of entry hazards to pick off enemies. You have none. Instead of making Relicanth a sweeper, why not make it your lead to set up rocks (and iirc it does a reasonable amount to Sandslash). You could also try leading with Roselia, which can set up both Spikes and Tspikes (well, you can't run Leaf Storm or Sleep Powder if you run the former, but it makes good food for thought), and annoy opponents with Leech Seed. I would also replace Vileplume with Jumpluff, the latter is extremely annoying to kill and bar none the best Subseeder in NU. Of course, it would add another Rock weakness on your team...I agree with Ice eyes that you need more resists, not just for rocks, but something that can take rock moves in general. Actually, Sandslash would be a good choice for your team, as you can also Rapid Spin and functions as a physical wall of sorts. Hope this helped!

EDIT;; Reading through, I notice an excerpt under Noctowl as to why you didn't run entry hazards. Rapid Spin isn't common in NU, honestly the only Pokemon that normally run it are lead Armaldo and Sandslash, and...they're usually leads. Stall needs entry hazards, and while NU has few choices for Spikers and Tspikers, you must run a few. Rapid Spin is even less common than in higher tiers, and so if you don't like Dusclops, you don't have to worry about having a spin blocker.
btw Sheddy is actually quite effective if you can spin other entry hazards away and avoid status....
I assumed every team ran Sandslash for a Rapid Spin. Maybe I assumed wrong? :P I will take up using Sandslash. ;)

As for the Stalling part of this team, that took a huge downfall when Cloyster moved up to UU. I lack a decent spiker, and Roselia doesn't sound promising. However, I will try her out.

The reason I didn't run Jumpluff is the Rock Weakness she came with. That, and I use this team over Wi-fi. Nobody expects a SubSeed Vileplume over Wi-fi, simply because PP Oddishs are extremely hard to come by.

I could try out the Roselia suggestion, aswell as the Sandslash and see how it works. ;) Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

thumbs down for stall, but thumbs up for a well thought out team :]

entry hazards could take a toll on you, but not a very big threat, as already mentioned, specs espeon could indeed be a problem, while sableye could be a solution to that problem, immune to psychic as well as hp fighting, it could easily counter and or revenge kill it, you also lack a status healer, which could be resolved with aromatherapy on vileplume?

hopefully my input helped in some way :]
Hehe. :) Yeah, I noticed how heavy offense NU was, and tried to go against it. I agree, I need a status healer BADLY. I got in a fight with a Miltank earlier, who literally Body Slammed my team into pieces through Paralyze hax. It was ridiculous. EVERY Body Slam resulted in a paralyze, and it essentially killed me. I will try running Aromatherapy, as it is a huge help when my team is hit with Poison, Paralyze, or even a burn. Thanks for the suggestion! =D

Also, Sableye.... I have 1 in my boxes! I will try him out for sure! Always loved this little bugger. Not to mention, he leaves a large dent in Slowking with STAB CB Shadow Claw.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
...and then they cotton onto your Choice Band and switch in Miltank to set up, Bell or Recover for free.

One thing I think you might benefit from is Omanyte. While it doesn't seem great at first, it can be really useful - you status something, they bring their Miltank in to heal the status, you set up Spikes as it can't touch you (most are mono-BS).

Monocurse Miltank, incidentally, is another huge threat to this team.

...and then they cotton onto your Choice Band and switch in Omanyte.

One thing I think you might benefit from is Omanyte. While it doesn't seem great at first, it can be really useful - you status something, they bring their Miltank in to heal the status, you set up Spikes as it can't touch you (most are mono-BS).

Monocurse Miltank, incidentally, is another huge threat to this team.
And Omanyte can tank Body Slams from a Miltank? >.>

I was unaware of this. :P

I think I am going to try running a Roselia with Spikes / Aromatherapy. See how that works.

Omanyte has the same base Defense as Celebi from up in OU, so it should be able to take it pretty well. Omanyte can also set up both Spikes and SR, which is a huge plus in NU.

You desperately will also need a spin blocker if you plan on any entry hazard setup. As someone mentioned earlier, Sableye can be an ok choice in NU, but Dusclops does a much better job when played correctly. The set that can be run well is Curse/WoW/ S-Toss/ Rest. With Aroma support from Roselia like you said you would change, it can do very nicely in NU, and also stops last Pokemon sweeps, something your team can't do currently.

Omanyte has the same base Defense as Celebi from up in OU, so it should be able to take it pretty well. Omanyte can also set up both Spikes and SR, which is a huge plus in NU.

You desperately will also need a spin blocker if you plan on any entry hazard setup. As someone mentioned earlier, Sableye can be an ok choice in NU, but Dusclops does a much better job when played correctly. The set that can be run well is Curse/WoW/ S-Toss/ Rest. With Aroma support from Roselia like you said you would change, it can do very nicely in NU, and also stops last Pokemon sweeps, something your team can't do currently.
Thank you for the suggestion! :D

I am having a HUGE problem with Cradily under Sandstorm support as a last pokemon.... Like ENORMOUS problems. ( CurseRest Dilly is the biggest BULL SHIT I have ever seen in my LIFE )

I will totally try out Dusclops and Roselia. :) Omantye will be put on hold, but we will see about him.

Thanks again!

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
I just think Omanyte can reliably set up on more (notably Miltank). Roselia can't really set up on anything except non-Ice Beam Slowking.

This is coming from experience btw.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
Ok team, I guess. Even though D-A made #1 using a weather stall team, I cannot see a stall team working outside of weather or possibly with a Milclops combo. Your stealth rock weakness, as said before, is huge. Not only do you have 3 members weak to SR, but you cannot set up SR on your own or spin it away, which is a huge problem for stall teams. Something like a LO/CB Sharpedo or even a CB Floatzel would cause this team problems. I agree with the ideas of putting Slash as your lead and adding subseed Jumpluff, over Vesipiquen and Vileplume, respectively.

As for Entei, would a bulky CM set work? Something like max HP/Def with CM, Flamethrower, Rest, some support move? I have been testing it out to some success and think it might work here.

Ok team, I guess. Even though D-A made #1 using a weather stall team, I cannot see a stall team working outside of weather or possibly with a Milclops combo. Your stealth rock weakness, as said before, is huge. Not only do you have 3 members weak to SR, but you cannot set up SR on your own or spin it away, which is a huge problem for stall teams. Something like a LO/CB Sharpedo or even a CB Floatzel would cause this team problems. I agree with the ideas of putting Slash as your lead and adding subseed Jumpluff, over Vesipiquen and Vileplume, respectively.

As for Entei, would a bulky CM set work? Something like max HP/Def with CM, Flamethrower, Rest, some support move? I have been testing it out to some success and think it might work here.
I try and work outside of the box, which is why I use some rather lackluster pokemon. ;) However, I like your idea.

Sharpedo is actually not a threat at all when I use my Mantine. I generally bring him with me if I know there is a Sharpedo. While Mantine isn't the best counter to Sharpedo ( Obviously. :P ) He still proves to be an alright check.

I will try the Bulky CM Entei. Do you think a Crotei set would work alright, even with all the Flareon running around in the tier?

-IAS

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
Crotei might work all right, but its defensive weaknesses makes it tough to pHaze out some threats (Cursetank, Curse Cradily, NP Slowking). CM + Flamethrower + Rest are mandatory, but you could run HP Ground/Rock if Flareon/Charizard give you troubles or HP Grass for Quagsire issues. With Rest, Flareon has no way of Toxic/Wish stalling you, and with enough CM up + a secondary attack you'd win one-on-one. If you are afraid of having your opponent set up while Entei is sleeping, putting a Chesto Berry over Lefties might not be a bad idea.

Who would you replace Mantine with? I think that's actually not a bad idea to put him on.

The way you describe it being played, it doesnt seem much like a stall team. Lots of boosting sweepers, feels more like bulky offense.
I am the self proclaimed number 1 advocate of CroTei in UU, if it works half as well in NU you will do great.
The huge SR weakness is to a degree lessened by the amount of recovery moves on your team.
I dont recommend switching to rest on vespiquen as if you are forced out you could have 3 sleeping pokemon again assuming Crotei (4 if the opponent manages to sleep powder you) making your team very vulnerable.
Im beginning to wonder if all your rest pokes might mean that running heal bell/aromatherapy would be a profitable strategy. Vileplume could run it over sludge bomb?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)