Underused Pokemon Matchmaking Phase 2 [Week 29 - Nasty Plot Infernape]

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
And with 7 votes, -Magic- is the winner with their Mega Sceptile submission. Congratulations!

This week is Mega week and I decided I wanted to kick it off with a Mega that ppl seem to either really love it or feel meh. I am talking about...

Ampharos-Mega @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

I went with the AoA set as I feel it is probably the most common / best set Mega Ampharos has to offer in the current metagame despite having to contend with more popular Megas such as Mega Beedrill and Mega Aerodactyl.

Submissions will end on Friday.

Sun

Who cares if one more light goes out? Well I do...
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 48 Def / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Crobat is a great partner for mega Amphy, they have an incredible synergy, Crobat is immune to the ground, and is resistant to the blows of the fairies, is also resistant to fight types such as Mienshao they do serious damage to Ampharos, Ampharos offers a good resistance to electric, also this core forms a powerful and disturbing volturn.

Last edited:

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Reserving Zonger.

Doomed (Bronzong) @ Macho Brace / Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Trick Room
- Earthquake / Stealth Rock
- Explosion

Due to Mega Ampharos being extremely slow, Trick Room support is usually needed to be an effective attacker. As such, Bronzong is the perfect partner, as it not only can set Stealth Rock if desired, but it also resists every one of Mega Ampharos's weaknesses, and can use Explosion to bring down one of Mega Ampharos's checks or counters. Once TR is up, Mega Ampharos can go on a reign of destruction against the oppoonent

Last edited:

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Cleric Sylveon is such a great partner for Mega Ampharos. Not only does it help out with the biggest metagame threats towards it such as Hydreigon, Whimsicott, and Salamence, it also passes sizable Wishes to it that somewhat offsets not having reliable recovery for it to consistently check what it does check and pivot throughout the entire match. What sets Sylveon apart from Florges is that it hits much harder than Florges and it fits relatively better on more bulky offense builds where this specific Mega Ampharos set works very well on. All in all, Sylveon will be a premier partner for Mega Ampharos in the time to come due to how much it offers for it.

e: bronzong tho

Reserving krook

Krookodile @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit

CB Krookodile compliments ampharos by putting heavy pressure on defensive cores together which can help most balances and some offenses be as stall-weak. Krook can come in on things that wall m amphy such as blissey, cresselia, and some others i can't think of off the top of my head via slow volt switch and punish teams with extremely powerful Knock Offs. Ampharos does the opposite for krook with walls like Suicune, Chesnaught, and Gyarados (when locked into EQ). idkr what else to say about the pair, buuut struggles with sceptile and florges but its not an offensive core with sweepers that can take advantage of such mons. I think amphy is sorely under-prepared for nowadays, along with the sheer power and STAB combo that overwhelms teams that hope for dread plate krook, making both for some nice anti-balance tools.

Last edited:
Reactions: nv

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Reserving Gyarados

It was a Splash-ure (Gyarados) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance

This terrifying leviathan pairs really well with Ampharos, both offensively and defensively. Ampharos checks every Electric Type in the book for Gyarados and acts as a slow but powerful pivot, who comfortably deals with the likes of Forretress and Chesnaught as well as several bulky Waters. On the other side, Gyarados provides a Ground Immunity, checks Mamoswine, a huge threat to Ampharos, and can break specially defensive walls, which Ampharos has trouble breaking through. Ideally, Gyarados will clean up the mess Ampharos caused, late game.

If you want to build around this core, I strongly recommend adding a Steel Type to the mix, which can handle Fairy, Ice and Dragon attacks, since the core struggles to take repeated hits from those types. *cough* Escavalier *cough*

Last edited:
Reserving Entei

Entei @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Flare Blitz
- Extreme Speed
- Stone Edge
Entei is basically a monster paired with AoA Ampharos. Entei can defeat all the Fairy-, Grass-, Ice- and Ground-Types in the tier with a spammable Sacred Fire, since Ampharos-Mega can defeat Water-Types and Aerodactyl-Mega for Entei. Sacred Fire and Flare Blitz are good STABs that demolish what Ampharos can't resist. Extreme Speed is a powerful priority that can defeat Pokémon with more speed, but that are still very frail. Stone Edge can catch Flying-Types in the switch.

Last edited:

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

M-Amph usually brings in either special walls like Florges, Snorlax, Blissey, or Umbreon, or a Ground type to block Volt Switch. Cobalion beats most of the bulky mons that take little from Volt Switch while also serving as a one time switch in to certain Grounds like Krook and Mamo if you get Volt blocked. Rocks also work very well with Volt Switch for obvious reasons.

Reserving Cresselia

Cress is a good support mon in general and a good partner for Mega Ampharos. I opted to go with support Cresselia in this matchmaking as it brings valuable speed control and the best move in the game, Thunder Wave. With yellow magic support, Mega Ampharos can go all out without taking damage first. Levitate brings the ability switch in to Ground Types such as Mamoswine and Krookodile and Lunar Dance to support Mega Amp and rest of the team even further.

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast/Psyshock
- Thunder Wave
- Lunar Dance
- Moonlight

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
While this week ended in a tie, I decided to break it so congratulations to King Sun and their Crobat submission!

This week, I decided to go with a Pokemon that is nearly a staple on most offensively oriented teams and is currently sitting in S rank...

Salamence @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Defog
- Roost

Defog Salamence is a really powerful offensive Defogger as it has a powerful STAB in Draco Meteor while having decent coverage in Fire Blast.

Submissions end on Friday.

Sun

Who cares if one more light goes out? Well I do...
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Hidden power Fire
- Baton Pass

Sylv is a great offensive partner for defog mence, it checks dragons very well, also thanks to the amazing special bulk can take a little damage from kyurem's ice beam, and check it, sylv is a also a good momentum generator, which is very useful to use defog when you get pressured by a bad match up.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)