Underused Pokemon Matchmaking Phase 2 [Week 29 - Nasty Plot Infernape]

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
So with a three way tie of 5 votes each, I had to break the tie between LRXC, Shiba, and Cactrune. I ultimately went with Chandelure so congratulations to LittleRunnerXC on his first win! :)

This week, I decided to go with the flying sea snake that everyone is having a problem fun with...

Submissions end Friday.

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Reserving Mega Houndoom.

Gyarados and Mega Houndoom make a sweet offensive core due to their pretty solid synergy and ability to set up on each others counters pretty easily. Gyarados can set up a Substitute on the Pokemon that trouble Mega Houndoom, namely special walls such as Blissey and non-Curse Snorlax & can also set up on common Choiced Fighting type Pokemon, such as Mienshao and Heracross. On the on the other side, Mega Houndoom can freely set up on the physical walls that Gyarados loathes, such as Aggron-Mega, Cresselia, and a myriad of others. Access to Taunt prevents Mega Houndoom from being phazed out or getting statused, which can put a premature end to its sweep & a hinderance to its wallbreaking potential.

Gyarados @ Leftovers / Lum Berry
Ability: Intmidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Substitute

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt

Last edited:

Threw

cohiba

I already posted this Arcanine set in the Creative Sets thread, so a couple people have seen it and I probably look lazy as hell but who cares. 3 attacks Gyara has a problem breaking past bulky Water-types who just click Scald until the inevitable happens, and, as I said there, Passho Berry Arc is a great way to lure them since they think they'll only take at most one Wild Charge, which typically doesn't scare them too much, especially CroCune. On top of that, Arc has CC, which breaks through the classic Gyarados checks like Umb and P2. Arcanine can also hard counter Entei once it's locked and switch in on those annoying ass Sacred Fires, and Intimidate spam is always a massive plus on any team.

Gyarados @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Bounce
- Dragon Dance

Arcanine @ Passho Berry
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Extreme Speed
- Wild Charge
- Close Combat

Last edited:
Not Since the days of the first drop of Mence has a Pokemon been so feared, and so loved.

With the Pokemon still used in OU consistently (not Mega-ing, but still holding Mega Stone it's still a force in OU), Gyarados' drop to UU has been defining as of late, challenging the drops of Mence, Zapdos and Crawdaunt for new powerhouse of UU.

With the amazing Intimidate ability, Gyarados immediately gives itself and a teammate a pseudo-Defense boost (until the switch-out or knock-out), and with Water-Flying as its typing, standard Bulky Water Counters such as Roserade, Toxicroak and Chesnaught suddenly have to be far more wary than they ever were.

Gyarados fills a unique niche in the metagame, with Median speed, High attack, and good defenses on top of a deep and rich movepool. Unlike a sweeper like Crawdaunt or Gatr, or a defensive mon like Suicune, Tentacruel or Swampert -- Gyarados fits various roles, such as a Dragon Dance wallbreaker that takes on Mienshao and Krookodile, or ...

Gyarados @ Leftovers
EVs: 88 HP / 220 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Thunder Wave

A bulky Utility mon that hits like a truck

At 88 HP and 220 Attack, Gyarados dodges the OHKO from Mega-Aerodactyl's Stone Edge without Rocks on the field, while he always OHKOs with Waterfall instead. Bounce is excellent STAB, hitting taking 2 turns to heal crucial Lefties, and to PP stall the opponent. But It's T-wave that adds depth to the set, crippling fast threats like Salamence, Heracross, and Metagross, who can otherwise take a hit rather comfortably, return one, and take down common Gyarados Partners.

However, Gyarados isn't invincible, as common defensive walls proceed to own him. Suicune, Aggron, Swampert and especially Zapdos just laugh in the face of Gyarados.
Which is why we add

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast / Dragon Pulse

Ah. My favorite mon in UU. So overlooked, and yet such power. With decent natural bulk, good natural speed, and unholy Special Power, Spec Kyurem 2HKOs almost everything in the metagame with Ice Beam or Draco Meteor. Say goodbye to pesky Zapdos, annoying Aggron or even pre-boosted Suicune! With resistances to electric types, and weakness to fighting types, Gyara and Kyurem pair up well defensively as well, and cover a large range of mons offensively with complimentary STABs. Focus Blast or D Pulse can be used based on your team, and whether you're Steel or Dark weak.

Be careful of Rocks though! Grab yourself a Donphan or Tentacruel to spin your way out of some nasty match-ups!

Reactions: nv

Eyan

sleep is the cousin of death
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Gyarados @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Substitute

Roserade @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain / Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ground] / Hidden Power [Fire] / Sleep Powder
- Toxic Spikes / Spikes

I've been really liking LO Roserade with Gyarados lately. I've tried different sets but Sub DD Bounce seems to works the best here. This Gyarados set usually finds trouble in dealing with bulky water phazers, mainly Suicune and Empoleon, which it really can't beat outside of a last mon situation. Naturally, Roserade can switch into and deal with Suicune using its Grass STAB, and Life Orb Technician boosted HP Ground has a chance to 2HKO even fully SpDef Empoleon. HP Ground also deals a good chunk to Mega Ampharos (which is usually a really good counter to dual STABs Gyarados), putting it in range of +1 Bounce after rocks or a turn of poison damage. Whimsicott makes setting up with Gyarados annoying thanks to Prankster Encore, which Roserade easily deals with too. I generally prefer Toxic Spikes over Spikes here since it works especially well with Sub on Gyarados, wearing down stuff like Sableye. You could run HP Fire over Ground if you want to deal with Chesnaught better, but it's not a big deal in conjunction with Tspikes (it only beats Gyara with Wood Hammer + Spiky Shield anyway). If you want to have an easier time switching into Rotom-Mow and Scarfed Heliolisk (LO variants really aren't hard to put in range of +1 Bounce), a bulkier spread with enough speed to outspeed Entei would work too. That would run Black Sludge > LO and Sleep Powder > HP Ground, which is still nice for Mega Aero on the switchin (since it still outspeeds +1 Gyara). Either way, Roserade just does so much that Gyarados appreciates to facilitate the sweep.

Reserving Mega Houndoom.

Gyarados and Mega Houndoom make a sweet offensive core due to their pretty solid synergy and ability to set up on each others counters pretty easily. Gyarados can set up a Substitute on the Pokemon that trouble Mega Houndoom, namely special walls such as Blissey and non-Curse Snorlax & can also set up on common Choiced Fighting type Pokemon, such as Mienshao and Heracross. On the on the other side, Mega Houndoom can freely set up on the physical walls that Gyarados loathes, such as Aggron-Mega, Cresselia, and a myriad of others. Access to Taunt prevents Mega Houndoom from being phazed out or getting statused, which can put a premature end to its sweep & a hinderance to its wallbreaking potential.

Gyarados @ Leftovers / Lum Berry
Ability: Intmidate
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Substitute

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt
Btw since I'm posting, I might as well give some comments on this. I actually really like this core because it works, but some parts are kinda iffy. Before anything, I'd highly recommend using Jolly on Gyarados. Not being able to outspeed Mega Sceptile / Mega Beedrill / Aerodactyl before it mega evolves at +1 kinda sucks, as well as base 80s like Mamoswine before setup. That extra one base speed gives it a good edge.

Anyway, I don't really agree with how you said that Gyarados gets a free Sub against Blissey and non curse Snorlax. Blissey's Seismic Toss breaks Sub, and Waterfall doesn't 2HKO. You're going to be having some mindgames with whether Blissey is going to click Seismic Toss or Twave/Toxic (if it carries this) unless you taunted with Mega Houndoom the turn you sacked it. Regarding Snorlax, non-curse variants are pretty rare, and the rare ones like banded are typically going to be fully invested in attack, so Return/Body Slam is going to do a lot even at -1. For reference, -1 0 Atk Snorlax Body Slam vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 81-96 (24.4 - 29%) -- 97.7% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock. You're really not going to be setting up on Snorlax. I agree with the whole Mega Houndoom being able to set up on Cress thing, but Mega Aggron probably wasn't a good example here. 9/10 times Mega Aggron sets are going to carry two out of EQ/Twave/Roar, so it's by no means a free set up opportunity. If I can make a suggestion, something like Umbreon would be a really good example of a Gyarados counter that Taunt NP Houndoom sets up on. Not taking jabs at your post, just parts that I find could use a better explanation for others, because it's a good core.

Last edited:

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
reserving m-scep :^)

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

Lmao I completely didn't copy and paste this from my RMT http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/real-friends.3562775/ >_>. But yeah, Mega Sceptile and Gyarados have pretty perfect synergy (Defensive and offensive) with Mega Sceptile taking care of that 4x Electric-type weakness and Gyarados taking care of the 4x Ice-type weakness of Sceptile to an extent (although Gyarados does get 2HKO'd by a -1 Life Orb Mamoswine Icicle Crash, but it does usually use Ice Shard when Mega Sceptile is staring it in the face). As for the offensive side, Mega Sceptile does take care of the bulky Water-type phazers such as Suicune, Vaporeon, and Empoleon that Gyarados has trouble with and in return, Gyarados can take on Mamoswine with ease as it outspeeds and KO's with Waterfall with a Jolly nature. But yeah, really nice match overall!

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner

Krookodile @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Aerial Ace
- Pursuit

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Waterfall
- Bounce

Everyone knows Gyara's crippling Electric weakness. Krook obviously mitigates this due to its immunity to Electric moves. Unlike M-Scep, it can actually block Mega Ampharos' Electric moves, and it is able to check M-Aero, the best revenge killer to +1 Gyarados. The two form a double Intimidate core, allowing you to comfortably handle most physical attackers by simply switching out back and forth and lowering their attack. Krook's Aerial Ace is also a nice way to lure Chesnaught, who with Spiky Shield, walls Gyara.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life

Glalie-Mega @ Glalitite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Explosion
- Freeze-Dry
- Earthquake / Ice Shard

Gyarados @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Bounce / Ice Fang

Gyarados really struggles against bulky Waters, as they can take any one move and HP Electric or Scald it until Gyarados gets burned or killed. Mega Glalie functions well in luring these bulky waters and using Freeze-Dry to severely cripple them, wearing them down to the point where Gyarados can kill them. Mega Glalie also helps Gyarados in beating Grass-types, mainly Chesnaught, which is very useful as Gyarados gets walled by Naught no matter what coverage it uses in the last slot. Mega Glalie also wallbreaks effectively, and also can use Explosion on a potential check/counter to Gyarados, like Umbreon and Porygon2, to weaken them so Gyarados can clean up easier. Overall, this is a pretty cool offensive core that is able to threaten a lot of teams nowadays, so I hope you like it!

Last edited:
Alright, here we go, Virizion. Definitely an unorthodox 'mon to use in UU, but it's been picking up some steam lately imo.

Primarily, Gyarados struggles to defeat bulky Water-types and Electric-types, along with a select few other dedicated mixed walls like PhysDef Umbreon and Porygon2. These Pokemon can either wall it outright, stall it out, Roar its boosts away, or just immediately kill it with their STAB moves. It's definitely not that easy to wall, but its most dedicated checks are becoming increasingly common. Gyarados needs some help breaking past them, which is where this partner comes in.

Virizion is very much in a unique position in UU. It's essentially Cobalion with high Special Defense instead of Defense, and with far worse typing. At the same time, though, its offensive coverage isn't bad at all, and it's capable of beating many bulky Water-types and the bulky Normal and Dark-types that can defeat Gyarados. Its high special bulk also makes it a great check to Electric-types like Heliolisk and Rotom-Mow.

This core isn't really perfect. Some Grass-types, most notably Roserade and Whimsicott, still mess it up, and Fire Spam can burden it regardless of Gyarados's resistance. Snorlax is a great solution to many of these problems, so give it a shot if you want.

Virizion @ Lum Berry / Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge / Zen Headbutt

Gyarados @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge / Substitute
- Bounce / Ice Fang / Earthquake

DrReuniclus

Smogon's full of bullies.
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Substitute

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Sludge Wave/Toxic Spikes

Gyarados is an amazing mon in the uu meta with two weaknesses rock and electric, which both happen to be covered by nidoqueen. Gyarados is also able to take any ground attacks that may be targeted towards nidoqueen due to its flying typing. Nidoqueen also allows for people to think twice before volt switching on gyarados trying to gain momentum. Nidoqueen is a great partner to gyarados in other factors as well, as it provides great hazard support in the form of Stealth Rock and possibly Toxic Spikes. Toxic Spikes synergizes well with gyarados's moveset due to its ability to both waste turns by subbing and a turn in the air with the use of bounce. Overall I find this to be a really fun core due to their typing synergies and movesets complimenting one another.

gonna write this quickly

Gyarados @ Leftovers
EVs: 40 HP / 216 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce/earthquake
- Waterfall
- Substitute

Crawdaunt @ Focus Sash
Ability: Adaptability
Adamant Nature
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance

double crustacean?? (shrimp + crawfish) core!
sash crawdaunt as a lead or not, it'll pretty much always get a kill or heavily weaken a counter to gyarados, for example but not limited to: knocking off suicune, heavy damage to mega-amp, knocking off chesnaught, tangrowth, alo, etc. Sword dance is there to beat sableye and try your best vs scald burns, as well as massacring stall. I forget what the HP evs are for, but you can tailor them to have your subs live scalds from mons like empoleon. I prefer bounce for stab, para chance, and more lefties, although i feel like earthquake has better sweeping potential with craw daunt support. its honestly up to your own preference. JOLLY TO OUTSPEND MEGA BEE AND SCEPTILE AT +1. unfortunately u still get outside by jolly max mega aero :[

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Gyarados @ Life Orb / Leftovers

Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Taunt

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite

Ability: Damp
Jolly Nature
- Rain Dance
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch

Mega-Swampert and Gyarados make a great pair together, with each breaking down the other's counters. The risk of Mega-Pert coming in and sweeping discourages opponents from spamming electric attacks, which helps Gyarados set up safely, and Pert also generally sets up for free on Mega-Aero, who can often stop a Gyarados sweep. Meanwhile Gyarados can beat a lot of 'mons that Swampert finds problematic, such as bulky Grass types (even problematic things like Spiky Shield Chesnaught, who Gyarados can beat thanks to Taunt).

I went with standard Mega-Pert and offensive Life Orb Gyarados here, but you can certainly switch to Leftovers if you'd prefer... though Life Orb gives you some notable KOs, including a guaranteed OHKO on 252/252+ Chesnaught when unboosted (without Life Orb it's only a 37% chance), and a guaranteed OHKO on Hydreigon after rocks at +1. Just make sure to keep it Jolly, and fix Gyarados' HP IVs if you aren't using Life Orb.

and

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Substitute

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword

I've been using this core for a while, and I think it's pretty good. Doublade struggles againist bulky waters and mons that can take it's attacks w/o problems, like mega aggron and swampert. Gyarados can come into these and setup, although it doesn't like (switching into a scald burn)

As teammates I would recomend whimsicott and/or florges, since heliolisk can deal some trouble with this core.

LRXC

ADV 1v1 Pioneer
is a Community Contributor
Actually, I am going to scratch my reservation, Salamence is open to malinowski or anybody else, sorry for the confusions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)