[UU RMT] Team "My First Team"

Like the title says, this is my first team, and it's for UnderUsed
Changes will be in Red.

The Team At A Glance:

I'm sorry I couldn't get those cool moving sprites :(, didn't know where to find them/how to add them.

Resistances/Weaknesses Chart:

Looked fine when I copy+pasted it... Didn't work in the real thread. If anyone could tell me how to get that resistances/weaknesses chart from Marriland's website, that'd be great, thanks :).​

And here's the team:

Ambipom @ Life Orb
Technician
Jolly
4 HP / 252 Attk / 252 Spe
Fake Out
Return
U-Turn
Taunt

Ambipom is by far my favourite lead. The momentum is provides with U-Turn and Fake Out are extremely useful. Fake Out is pretty much a given, taking a chunk of out anything that doesn't resist it. From there, I can either Taunt if they carry Stealth Rock, or U-Turn to a reliable counter (If, for example, they switch in a Ghost type on the Fake Out). Return is now run over Payback, as it's more reliable, and can revenge kill many frail pokes.

Technician boosts Fake Out (Not sure if it boosts Payback). Jolly for maximum speed, and Silk Scarf is to boost Fake Out. I'm thinking about Life Orb though, but I'm not sure. Life Orb has replaced Silk Scarf, as it provides better damage with U-Turn and Payback, and Ambipom is frail anyway.

EVs are simple: Max attack for harder hits, and max Speed for... Max speed. Rest goes into HP.

Drapion @ Life Orb
Sniper
Adamant
252 Attk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Pursuit
Ice Fang
Earthquake
Crunch

Drapion has great syngergy with Ambipom, who attracts ghosts looking to absorb his Fake Outs. He's also a great Psychic counter, threatening them with both Pursuit, should they switch out, or Payback if they stay in. Earthquake is to hit Steel types (Registeel, Steelix) and Aqua Tail hits ground types hard. Crunch has replaced Payback, as it's more reliable. Aqua Tail has been replaced with Ice Fang to hit Grass, Flying and Dragon types, since Milotic can threaten most Ground types that I'd be hitting with Aqua Tail.

Sniper and Battle Armor are both equally "useful", but since I'm running a pretty agressive set, I figure 3x Crits are more useful. Adamant nature is so my attacks hit hard, and Life Orb further increases how hard I hit.

Max Attk EVs for hard hits (I'm pretty much aiming for an OHKO on the Ghosts that Ambipom draws in). Since Drapion is going to be taking on mostly Special Attacks, and already has naturally high Defense, Special Defense is maxed. I don't put any EVs in Speed so I can use Payback (Which hits harder than Crunch on the switch). Special Defense EVs have been shifted into Speed.

Leafeon @ Life Orb
Leaf Guard
Jolly
252 Attk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Leaf Blade
Swords Dance
Synthesis
Double-Edge

Originally, I had Sceptile, but after finding out I had a DD Feraligatr weakness, I opted for Leafeon, hoping to remedy this. Leafeon works just as well for me (so far), in addition to being bulkier. Leafeon has no problem coming in on Earthquakes, thanks to its resistance to Ground, and high Defense, and can immediately threaten them with Return or Leaf Blade (Which have good neutral coverage). If Leafeon gets in a Swords Dance, then watch out, as its Attack goes up extremely high, and in turn, Leafeon can deal some major damage to any pokemon. Synthesis is to recover Life Orb damage, but I've also been considering Quick Attack, since Leafeon ties in Speed with Sharpedo, Drapion, Jynx and Primeape. Return has been replaced by Double-Edge to nab that guarantee OHKO on Moltres after a SD.

Leaf Guard does nothing, since I'm not using Sunny Day. I run Jolly over Adamant so I'm not outsped by Sharpedo, Drapion, Jynx and Primeape.

Max Attack is so, in combination with Life Orb and Swords Dance, Leafeon hits like a ton of bricks.
Max Speed is so it ties with the afformentioned pokemon at worst, and the rest is thrown into Defence.

Milotic @ Leftovers
Marvel Scale
Bold
252 HP / 192 Def / 56 SpDef / 8 Spe
Rest
Sleep Talk
Surf
Ice Beam

Milotic is my main status absorber, and usually lasts the whole match. Rest and Marvel Scale go together perfectly, and with Sleep Talk, Milotic is still able to attack (albeit at random, but hey...). Surf is to threaten Fire and Ground pokes, and Ice Beam is for Flying and Grass pokes. Ice Beam is run over HP Grass because, although it would allow me to hit bulky Waters and Water/Rock pokemon like Omastar and Kabutops, I have Leafeon and Magneton to check them. Someone told me Surf/Ice Beam/HP Grass/Recover would be better, but I'm not sure.

Bold nature is a given, boosting Milotic's average Defense.

Max HP for maximum bulkiness, 56 Special Defense prevents Moltress from 3HKOing with HP Grass, and the rest goes into Defense, which Milotic needs. 8 Speed is to outspeed Adamant Max Speed Aggron.

Magneton @ Leftovers
Magnet Pull
Modest
108 HP / 148 Spe / 252 SpAtk
Thunderbolt
Magnet Rise
Substitute
Hidden Power [Fire]

Magneton was put on this team to aid Sceptile, as it is a very solid counter to Swellow, but it also works well with Leafeon, trapping and killing Steel types that attempt to wall her. Thunderbolt is a reliable STAB move to dispatch Registeel, and HP Fire is for Steelix. Magnet Rise is to eliminate that pesky 4x weakness to Ground, and Substitute is to avoid getting statused. Magneton always hits hard, with both its attack moves coming off a respectable 120 base Special Attack stat. That, combined with the many resistances it carries, and its ability to trap and kill steels makes Magneton great for my team.

Modest nature is to further boost Magneton's Special Attack stat, and Leftovers is for higher survivability.

148 Speed EVs give Magneton a Speed stat of 212, which allows it to outspeed Max Speed Adamant Torterra (Normally used by RP Torterra variant). Magneton can then Magnet Rise before Torterra can EQ, and since he resists most other Torterra attacks, he'll be fine. Max 252 Special Attack makes use of Magneton's great Special Attack stat, and the rest is put into HP to increase bulkiness.
Magneton has been replaced with Dugtrio.

Dugtrio @ Life Orb
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Arena Trap
Jolly
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Sucker Punch
Beat Up/Substitute

Magneton was not very reliable at taking out Registeel or Steelix as most Registeel carry Seismic Toss which easily broke my Sub, while Hidden Power doesn't do enough to Steelix who can just Roar me out. I replaced it with a Dugtrio, who more effectively traps and KOs the aforementioned Steel types, and gets plenty of oppurtunities to switch in on Thunder Waves aimed at my sweepers or while they set up Stealth Rock.

I play tested this set and it worked wonders; much better than Magneton. But could someone explain the usefulness of Beat Up to me? Substitute seems better, but I don't know.

Claydol @ Leftovers
Levitate
Bold
252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpAtk
Earth Power
Stealth Rock
Rapid Spin
Shadow Ball

The standard Claydol set, and it's been very reliable so far. Rapid Spin and Stealth Rock are a given, and Shadow Ball is for the Ghosts that are sure to be switching in. Earth Power is its primary STAB move. Claydol has great synergy with Drapion, who can switchin in on Ghosts looking to block a rapid spin, and is also resistant to Ghost Attacks, and unlike other Dark types, isn't 2x weak to Fighting moves, which many Ghosts commonly carry (Hidden Power [Fighting] and Focus Blast come to mind).

With Levitate, Claydol is immune to Ground, further increasing his immunity with Drapion, since Drapion is weak to Ground. Bold is for more Defense.

HP is maxed for max bulkiness, and the Special Attack EVs boost his SpAtk up to 204, allowing him to still be a good wall (144 Defense EVs), and still hit back.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm open to any, and all changes :)!

Just a few nitpicky suggestions for you -

On Drapion, consider Night Slash over Payback, as with Sniper you get a nice Crit chance and are more reliably able to hit slower foes. Payback may be a better option, however, or Crunch for a happy medium.

Also, Aqua Tail, while more powerful than the other option of Ice fang, doesn't lets you hit Grass, Flying and Dragon types for SE, as well as being slightly more accurate. With Milotic you can effectively wall and threaten most of the Ground types you'd be hitting with Aqua Tail in any case, so I'd recommend switching it.

Also, U-Turn is 70 Base Power and doesn't get boosted by Technician, you may want to edit that :P

If you are going with Payback instead of Return, I would go with the Life Orb on Ambipom. Thats just me. Ambipom is pretty frail anyway. Life Orb will make Payback and U-turn sting a bit more, along with boosting Fake Out more than the Silk Scarf will. You may want to look at what significant KO's you get/won't get with both options.

Other than that, your team seems pretty susceptible to a Mixed Priority Attacker Blaziken if Milotic has taken damage, since Superpower + HP (Grass/Electric) does 83%. If Milotic happens to be asleep, it can 3HKO with HP. Similarly, Leafeon falls to Superpower + Vacuum Wave. Advice: be careful throwing out Dark attacks from Ambipom and Drapion.

Ambipom-Don't start the match with Fake Out. It's extremely predictable and allows your opponent a free switch to a rock/steel/ghost/physically bulky pokemon. Fake Out is much better later on in the match because,

You likely know their Fake Out switch-in
Entry hazards may be up
You can revenge frail pokemon/2HKO many pokemon if you have Return

The moveset is fine if it works for you. Fake Out is good paired with Return and Low Kick, but they are optional.

Drapion-If you intend for Drapion to support Ambipom's trouble with ghosts, why is Ambipom running Payback? Ambipom loses Return/Low Kick in the process, and Drapion is rendered a bit unnecessary. I suggest you either drop Payback on Ambipom, or change Drapion's focus/replace him.

Ice Fang doesn't serve much purpose.

The EV spread is interesting but doesn't live up to it's potential.

Leafeon-Quick Attack is more of a consideration due to the likes of Swellow and Alakazam than the 4 you listed. Use it if you feel you need the priority.

Continued,

Milotic-This set is indeed troublesome to KO, but if your opponent does have a proper counter it is setup bait. The build can scarcely do anything besides keep itself alive against fellow defensive pokemon.

Bold is not a given. It is not mandatory.

Toxic is a better fit over Ice Beam. Most grass pokemon don't mind the single Ice Beam you can produce, and random Sleep Talk IBs are unreliable.

While I see the value of this build, I'm a proponent for Milotic being BL. It's a herculean feat to KO.

Magneton-Registeel beats this set if he has Seismic Toss & Rest, cripples you with just Seismic Toss, and walls you out with just Rest.

An interesting build, however.

Claydol-Looks good.

All right, thank you for the rates :)

I'll change Payback to Return on Ambipom, what you said makes sense, but I'm keeping Ice Fang on Drapion, since it hits Grass, Flying and Dragon types.

And for Milotic do you think Recover/Surf/HP Grass/Toxic would be better? or should I just replace Ice Beam with Toxic on the set I already have?

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hi,

This is quite a solid team. There are a few things to consider. On Drapion, I'd recommend going with Crunch over Payback. Drapion has naturally high speed already and it isn't one of the Pokes who naturally forces switches, in which case you'd be better of Pursuiting anyway. I'd also opt for Leftovers over Life Orb as Pursuit already gets Drapion the KOs it needs, which is its primary job. Without a boosting move like Swords Dance it isn't going to be threatening enough to sweep.

Magneton is IMO not very reliable at taking out Registeel or Steelix as most Registeel carry Seismic Toss which easily breaks your Sub, while Hidden Power doesn't do enough to Steelix who can just Roar you out. So, Id recommend replacing it with a Dugtrio, who more effectively traps and KOs the aforementioned Steel types, and gets plenty of oppurtunities to switch in on Thunder Waves aimed at your sweepers or while they set up Stealth Rock:

Dugtrio@Life Orb
252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Jolly
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Beat Up/Substitute

I don't see why your team needs Rapid Spin, as most of your team is resistant to SR or has reliable recovery, and Ambipom prevents any hazards from being set up. If you do stick with it, I'd suggest running Zen Headbutt and Earthquake as you attacks, as they hit most Ghosts on their weaker defensive stat, and can be handy for hitting Venusaur attempting to switch in. Then, you could change the nature to Impish and shift the Sp Atk EVs into Attack.

Nice team, well done and gl.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hiya.

It looks like a solid team but I really think Ambipom wants Return somewhere. After it's used up it's fake out, it's essentially a sitting duck, and Return is a powerful STAB move you can fall back on. Maybe run that over U-turn. You lose scouting, but you gain the ability to defend yourself and clean up late game.

Leafeon definetely wants Double Egde over Return to guarantee that OHKO on Moltres at 2+.

I agree with IronBullet93 and PK Gaming's suggestions, but let me address your recent post,

Ice Fang does poor damage against most grass pokemon, it is a low BP move and Venusaur's LO Earthquake is more threatening to you than Ice Fang is to him. x2 effective Ice Fang also only has a power of 130, while Crunch is 120. Ice Fang has some limited usefulness (Torterra, Altaria, etc.), but it's arguably not worth the moveslot.

And in regards to Milotic, I've already admitted to being biased against the Rest build, I'm not very objective. I will say that HP Grass has been very useful in my experience, and Toxic helps to handle pokemon which HP Grass and Surf/Hydro Pump do not.

I do suggest Hydro Pump over Surf, and significant special attack investment. Hydro Pump will pack a significant punch, and with no investment HP Grass isn't particularly potent.

All right, I made these changes:

-Leafeon has Double-Edge over Return.
-Ambipom has Return over Payback.
-Drapion has Crunch over Payback, and now runs 252 Speed instead of 252 SpDef.
-Magneton has been changed to Drugtrio, has worked very well!

@ IronBullet93

Is there anything that could replace Claydol? Since you say I don't need Rapid Spin support (Or shouldn't?), I'd rather get rid of Claydol since it was put on this team with him being a Rapid Spinner in mind.

Also, thanks for the great Dugtrio set! It's worked great so far and also much better than Magneton. However, I don't really see how Beat Up is useful.. could you explain? :)

@ GREEN00

Should I replace Ice Fang with Taunt then?

I will also test Milotic with a set of Recover/Toxic/Hydro Pump/HP Grass, but I don't really know what EVs I should be running. I was thinking max HP, and split between Def and SpAtk with a Bold nature.

Ty for the rates, guys :)

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Beat Up is for Chansey. If you're going to replace Claydol, you'll need something that can set up Stealth Rock, and it should resist Fighting, otherwise nothing on your team will resist Fighting attacks (meaning a simple Hitmonlee or Toxicroak will have no issues sweeping you given some prediction). I don't know of any other SR users that resist fighting (except Gligar I guess?). If you're not worried about fighting types switching Claydol with Registeel with add a much-need ice and rock resist to this team, and will give you a safe switchin to special venusaur. The curse set seems to fit best on your team, since you have Pokemon that can set up on Haze Milotic.

I'm not sure... Since I have no other fighting resists, would it be worth it to switch Claydol for Registeel? Since Regi has so many resistances. But then again, I'd lose my Ground immunity ><...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)