Uxie

Pak

vortex
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion

[OVERVIEW]

Despite being commonly overlooked in the UU metagame, Uxie makes for a solid Stealth Rock user and pivot for more balance or bulky offense inclined teams. Incredible defenses at base 130 a piece give Uxie great natural bulk despite its rather mediocre HP stat. With the Levitate ability at its disposal, this bulky Psychic-type also provides an extra Ground-type immunity for the user's team as well as an immunity to Spikes and Toxic Spikes. To complement its bulk, Uxie has access to a wide variety of support moves including Thunder Wave, U-turn, and Memento in addition to the previously mentioned Stealth Rock. Uxie also possesses a great Speed stat for a more defensive Pokemon at base 95, allowing it to outpace most of the other bulky Pokemon in the tier.

However, Uxie has some glaring weaknesses including relatively low offensive stats making it more passive than it would prefer. Also, to counteract its great natural bulk and support movepool, mono-Psychic typing is a rather mediocre one defensively, leaving Uxie vulnerable to common moves such as Knock Off and Pursuit. This couples with the fact that Uxie has no means of reliable recovery. It is also worth noting that aside from setting up Stealth Rock and gaining momentum with U-turn, Cresselia largely outclasses Uxie in essentially every other role.

[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Psychic / Psyshock
move 2: U-turn
move 3: Stealth Rock
move 4: Thunder Wave
item: Leftovers
ability: Levitate
nature: Bold
evs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Psyshock is Uxie's main STAB move, allowing it to beat the Pokemon it is meant to check one on one. It notably can break the Substitute of offensive Gyarados with no extra Special Attack investment and potentially 2HKO Assault Vest Machamp after Stealth Rock damage. However, Psychic is a good option as well if the user's team already has solid answers to Gyarados, as it hits Cobalion and Chesnaught for significantly more damage. U-turn allows Uxie to act as a solid pivot and keep up offensive momentum, allowing the user to bring in their threats safely. Stealth Rock is crucial for every competitive team, as it helps punish opposing switches and supports the other members of the team as they put on pressure. These two moves set this Pokemon apart from other bulky Psychic-types in the tier. Thunder Wave allows Uxie to essentially neuter opposing fast threats or setup sweepers such as Mega Aerodactyl, Salamence, and Alakazam.

Set Details
========

Maximum EVs placed in HP and Defense along with a Bold nature let Uxie take on the many physical attackers of the tier better, more specifically common Fighting-types such as Machamp, Lucario, Toxicroak, and Cobalion. Leftovers provides passive recovery, the only solid recovery to which Uxie has access. The ability Levitate offers an immunity to Spikes and Toxic Spikes, which is crucial for pivots, as they can switch in much more easily, and also provides an extra Ground-type immunity for the user's team. An alternative EV spread of 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 SpD with a Calm nature is a viable option, as it let's Uxie take on special attackers such as Alakazam, Mega Sceptile, Nidoqueen, and Nidoking better. The extra investment in Special Defense specifically allows Uxie to avoid a 2HKO from Life Orb Alakazam's Shadow Ball barring a Special Defense drop.

Usage Tips
========

Uxie can be used early-game to set up Stealth Rock early in order to rack up damage on the opposing team as they continuously switch in. Uxie switches in well against many common physical attackers. Afterwards, the user can set up Stealth Rock, potentially paralyze an opposing Pokemon with Thunder Wave, or keep up momentum using U-turn. Uxie puts in work as a pivot in the early- and mid-game, allowing sweepers in the back to take advantage of paralysis spread around and Stealth Rock damage inflicted upon the opposing team. Knock Off and Dark-type moves in general are fairly common, so be wary of opposing Dark-type Pokemon switching in and threatening Uxie.

Team Options
========

Cobalion and Chesnaught make for quality partners, as they can sponge common Dark-type moves while fulfilling their respective roles. Florges checks many Dark-types, specifically Hydreigon, and Bug-types while also being able to heal any status ailment that may be inflicted upon Uxie. Pokemon that can combat opposing bulky Steel-types such as Entei and Zapdos pair well. Finally, Uxie works well with hard-hitting Pokemon that appreciate the Speed drops of Thunder Wave and the fact that U-turn can bring them in safely.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

In addition to Stealth Rock, U-turn, and Thunder Wave, Uxie has access to many other unique utility moves, but they are usually not as reliable or helpful. Yawn, with its tendency to force switches, can be used in conjunction with U-turn as a great way to grab momentum. Dual screens can be used along with Light Clay, to aid setup sweepers, but Cresselia is generally preferred due to its superior bulk and recovery. Toxic is an option over Thunder Wave to wear down opposing Pokemon, notably Sableye as it often switches in, but Uxie has no reliable recovery to help rack up damage, and Steel-types are also common switch-ins. Memento is a solid option, especially when used along with dual screens, to aid sweepers in the back that otherwise have a hard time setting up safely. Colbur Berry could be used over Leftovers, but Uxie does not have many great options to threaten Dark-types back and Uxie also appreciates the passive recovery from Leftovers. Mental Herb is an option to avoid opposing Taunts and Encores that is better utilized if you're using Memento. Knock Off is an option as an attacking move to cripple opposing walls, but it is generally hard for it to find a moveslot with so many other options. Finally, Uxie makes for a decent weather setter for rain and sun teams. While Azelf is usually better in this role due to the fact it is less vulnerable to Taunt, Uxie has Memento, which allows the user to maximize weather turns and bring in the sweepers safely simultaneously.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Dark-types**: Krookodile, Crawdaunt, Hydreigon, and Sharpedo are all immune to Uxie's only STAB move and threaten it out, as they can all deal heavy damage. Some have to be wary of being paralyzed on the switch, though.

**Taunt**: Fast Taunt users such as Froslass, Sableye, and Hydreigon can prevent Uxie from supporting the rest of the team with Thunder Wave and Stealth Rock.

**Status Conditions**: Poison and burn severely hamper Uxie's defensive capabilities and longevity.

**Bulky Steel-types**: Steel-types such as Mega Aggron, Escavalier, Doublade, and Forretress do not fear Uxie and can proceed to successfully do their jobs in front of it.

**Bulky Setup Sweepers**: Suicune, Snorlax, and Reuniclus all easily set up on Uxie, as it cannot threaten them in any way.

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

[OVERVIEW]

• Access to a plethora of support moves including Stealth Rock, Thunder Wave, U-Turn, and Memento over that of other bulky psychic-types
  • Solid pivot for more balance or bulky offense oriented teams
  • Maintains great bulk with base 130 defenses despite its rather mediocre HP stat
  • Great speed for a support Pokemon at base 95
  • Rather passive due to its low attacking stats
  • Mediocre defensive typing as a pure Psychic-type
  • Levitate ability provides teams with an extra ground immunity
  • Vulnerable to Knock Off and Pursuit
  • No reliable recovery
I would definitely draw from Cresselia in terms of its negatives and positives as that is the closest thing we have to compare. You did mention some such as it having Stealth Rock, U-turn, and Memento, but on its negatives I would mention that it faces competition from Cresselia, which still has Thunder Wave and Levitate as well as access to reliable recovery.

[SET]
move 1: Psyshock

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• Psyshock is Uxie's main STAB move, allowing it to beat the Pokemon it is meant to check one on one, generally preferred over the usual Psychic since it can break the substitute of offensive Gyarados with no investment and can potentially 2HKO Assault Vest Machamp after Stealth Rock damage
  • Psychic should be used if the user's team already handles Gyarados well as it hits the Cobalion for significantly more damage
  • U-Turn allows Uxie to act as a solid pivot and keep up offensive momentum, letting the user bring in their threats safely
  • Stealth Rock is crucial for every competitive team as it helps punish opposing switches, supports the other members of the team as they put on pressure
  • Thunder Wave allows Uxie to essentially neuter opposing fast threats or set up sweepers such as Mega Aerodactyl, Salamence, and Alakazam
Set Details
========

• Maximum EVs placed in HP and Defense along with a Bold nature let Uxie take on the many physical attackers of the tier better, more specifically common fighting types such as Machamp, Lucario, Toxicroak, and Cobalion
  • Leftovers provides passive recovery, the only solid recovery to which Uxie has access
  • Levitate offers an extra ground immunity to the team
I would definitely make a mention that 64 Speed EVs can put Uxie at 242 Speed to outspeed Adamant Honchkrow and put it on pace with other "fast" walls. If not here, I would definitely make this mention in OO.

Usage Tips
========

• Uxie can be used early-game to set up Stealth Rock early in order to rack up damage on the opposing team
  • Uxie switches in well against many common physical attackers, afterwards the user can set up Stealth Rock, potentially paralyze an opposing Pokemon with Thunder Wave, or keep up momentum with U-Turn
  • Knock Off and Dark-type moves in general are fairly common so be wary of opposing dark-type Pokemon switching in and threatening Uxie
Mention that Uxie should be pivoting in early- to mid-game, allowing it to spread paralysis for setup sweepers late-game.

Team Options
========

• Cobalion and Chesnaught make for quality partners as they can check the Dark-types while fulfilling their respective roles
  • Florges checks many Dark-types and Bug-types while also being able to heal any status ailment that may be inflicted upon Uxie
  • Pokemon that can threaten opposing Steel-types such as Entei and Zapdos pair well
  • Uxie works well with hard-hitting Pokemon that appreciate the speed drops of Thunder Wave and that U-turn can bring them in safely
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• Dual screens can be used along with the item, Light Clay, to aid setup sweepers, but Cresselia is generally preferred due to its superior bulk
  • Toxic is an option over Thunder Wave to wear down opposing Pokemon, but Uxie has no reliable recovery to rack up damage with and Steel-types are common switch-ins
  • Memento is a solid option along side screens to aid sweepers in the back in setting up safely
  • Yawn can force opposing switches with the threat of sleep but is not too reliable
  • Uxie can set up Trick Room, but other setters such as Reuniclus, Slowking, and Hoopa are much slower and much more threatening, letting them take advantage of it better
  • Colbur Berry could be used over Leftovers but Uxie does not have many great options to threaten Dark-types back, also misses out on passive recovery
  • Mental Herb is an option to avoid opposing taunts, better utilized if using Memento
Checks and Counters
===================

**Dark-types**: Krookodile, Crawdaunt, Hydreigon, and Sharpedo threaten Uxie out as they can all potentially deal heavy damage, but some have to be wary of being Thunder Waved on the switch
**Taunt**: Fast taunters such as Froslass, Sableye, and Mandibuzz can prevent Uxie from supporting the rest of the team with Thunder Wave and Stealth Rock
**Status Conditions**: Poisons and Burns hamper Uxie's defensive capabilities and longevity
**Bulky Steel-types**: Pokemon such as Mega Aggron, Escavalier, Doublade, and Forretress do not fear Uxie and can proceed to do their jobs in front of it
**Bulky Setup Sweepers**: Sweepers such as Suicune, Snorlax, and Reuniclus set up on Uxie as it cannot threaten them in any way
Comments are in bold. A really good start. It seems like you have done analyses before :o.

Other than that, QC 1/3. Also please fix the spacing in the Checks and Counters section.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
  • I feel like you're drastically underselling Yawn, as Yawn + U-turn is actually a great way to capture momentum with Uxie. I think it's by far the most viable of the OO.
  • Toxic's main selling point right now is nailing Sableye, which can otherwise come in for free; might be worth a specific mention.
  • Access to Stealth Rock and U-turn are the primary reasons to use Uxie over Cresselia; otherwise her superior bulk and access to recovery make her a better choice. I'd definitely mention U-turn, as it's a huge selling point and one of the main reasons Uxie is actually viable on bulky offense teams.
  • When you reference Levitate, it might be worth mentioning that it is immune to T-Spikes/Spikes, as that's pretty important for a pivot.
  • I wouldn't even list Trick Room in OO; Cresselia outclasses it in this role so hard that it isn't even funny. (Even Memento doesn't really give it a niche here as it potentially does on the dual screens set, as the timed nature of Trick Room makes setting up difficult.)
  • A mixed Defensive set is viable to help check 'mons like Alakazam and Mega-Sceptile - 248 HP/164 Def/96+ SDef gives you balanced defenses of 353/337/352 and ensures that Alakazam will never 2HKO you with LO Shadow Ball.
  • I'm not entirely convinced that outspeeding Honchkrow is actually relevant as you can't do anything to Honchkrow other than paralyze it, although enough things creep to the 242 benchmark that it might be worth mentioning anyhow (although I thought that sort of Speed creep was discouraged in analyses).
  • I'd change up the order in the overview, so that it reads like this: Fantastic bulk and Levitate -> access to a plethora of support moves -> great Speed for a support 'mon -> makes a solid pivot for bulky offense -> passive due to low attack -> mediocre defensive typing -> vulnerable to Knock Off and Pursuit -> no reliable recovery -> outclassed by Cresselia except for rocks/U-turn. Shouldn't be a major adjustment, but I think that flows a little better, and seems more consistent with other overviews.
Other than that looks great! Once those are implemented, QC 2/3.

Pak

vortex
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Done with the write up, ready for 3rd QC whenever. Also I'd like to hear some thoughts on whether or not I should / Psychic and Psyshock since they both have their advantages. I completely forgot Psychic does wayy more to Chesnaught in addition to Cobalion, and both are pretty important imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: nv
We talked in PM and I addressed my thoughts with you. Just going to add a couple other things:
  • Slash Psychic with Psyshock in the set
  • Memento is good with or without screens, not just with. Mention that Memento is to be used when the team has setup sweepers that usually have a hard time setting up.
Other than that, everything looks solid.

QC 3/3 when everything is implemented

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
you did an amazing job with this. just make sure you mention knock off as an offensive move that it can possibly use on its pivot set in OO (its uxie's best shot at crippling some of its switch ins and its also a very small niche it has over cress). weather setting sets with memento are OO worthy too‚ since Uxie is one of the best mons at setting up venusaur (and kabutops to an extent i guess) sweeps with weather + memento + amazing bulk. you can also remove speed creep mentions; it's just not worth creeping honchkrow with uxie for the reasons hogg mentioned. creeping jolly crawdaunt is ok though as you can rack up damage on that with u-turn or fire off a last ditch twave so you can revenge kill it with a slower mon like florg or empoleon later if it comes down to that. lastly‚ you can mention that mixdef uxie is rather solid vs nidos too (checking zam is still that spread's main appeal though)

you can move this into GP after implementing the suggested changes

edit: lol i goofed and this was already at 3 checks

Pak

vortex
you did an amazing job with this. just make sure you mention knock off as an offensive move that it can possibly use on its pivot set in OO (its uxie's best shot at crippling some of its switch ins and its also a very small niche it has over cress). weather setting sets with memento are OO worthy too‚ since Uxie is one of the best mons at setting up venusaur (and kabutops to an extent i guess) sweeps with weather + memento + amazing bulk. you can also remove speed creep mentions; it's just not worth creeping honchkrow with uxie for the reasons hogg mentioned. creeping jolly crawdaunt is ok though as you can rack up damage on that with u-turn or fire off a last ditch twave so you can revenge kill it with a slower mon like florg or empoleon later if it comes down to that. lastly‚ you can mention that mixdef uxie is rather solid vs nidos too (checking zam is still that spread's main appeal though)

you can move this into GP after implementing the suggested changes

edit: lol i goofed and this was already at 3 checks
Added Knock Off to OO, added Nidos to the mixdef set explanation, took out the Honch speed creep. I talked about adding weather setting to OO with Christo a couple days ago and we p much decided Azelf is better for the job most of the time since it's a lot less vulnerable to taunt so I left that out.

Edit: added

Last edited:

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Added Knock Off to OO, added Nidos to the mixdef set explanation, took out the Honch speed creep. I talked about adding weather setting to OO with Christo a couple days ago and we p much decided Azelf is better for the job most of the time since it's a lot less vulnerable to taunt so I left that out.
Yeah, Azelf is usually better, but Memento is huge. Whimsicott can also set up Venusaur sweeps with Prankster Sunny Day + Memento, but its typing overlaps Venusaur's too much for it to be viable on a serious Venusaur team, which is where Uxie kicks in. I mean, I've tested this myself and you can just U-turn out of stuff that threatens a Taunt (fwiw, the set is Sunny Day / Memento / U-turn / filler, filler being either a Psychic STAB, Knock Off or Stealth Rock), but I guess it's something we can talk over

edit: I mean, it's not like we're talking about writing a full set. Plus, Uxie definitely has a niche as a setter over Azelf, so I don't think there's any problem with mentioning it.

Last edited:

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]

Despite being commonly overlooked in the UU metagame, Uxie makes for a solid Stealth Rock user and pivot for more balance or bulky offense inclined teams. Incredible defenses at base 130 a piece give Uxie great natural bulk despite its rather mediocre HP stat. With the Levitate ability,(RC) Levitate,(RC) at its disposal, this bulky Psychic-type also provides an extra Ground-type immunity for the user's team as well as immunity to Spikes and Toxic Spikes. To compliment its bulk, Uxie has access to a wide variety of support moves including Thunder Wave, U-turn, and Memento in addition to the previously mentioned Stealth Rock. It Uxie also possesses a great Speed stat for a more defensive Pokemon at base 95, allowing it to outpace most of the other bulky Pokemon in the tier.

Uxie also has some glaring weaknesses including relatively low attack offensive stats making it more passive than it would prefer. Also, to counteract its great natural bulk and support movepool, the Psychic-type mono Psychic typing is a rather mediocre one defensively, leaving it vulnerable to common moves such as Knock Off and Pursuit. This couples with the fact that Uxie has no means of reliable recovery. It is also worth noting that aside from setting up Stealth Rock and gaining momentum with U-turn, Cresselia largely outclasses Uxie in essentially every other role.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Psyshock is Uxie's main STAB move, allowing it to beat the Pokemon it is meant to check one on one. It can break the substitute of offensive Gyarados with no extra Special Attack investment and potentially 2HKO Assault Vest Machamp after Stealth Rock damage unlike Psychic,(AC) but Psychic is a good option as well if the user's team already has solid answers to Gyarados as it hits Cobalion and Chesnaught for significantly more damage. U-turn allows Uxie to act as a solid pivot and keep up offensive momentum, allowing the user to bring in their threats safely. Stealth Rock is crucial for every competitive team as it helps punish opposing switches,(RC) and supports the other members of the team as they put on pressure. These two moves set this Pokemon apart from other bulky Psychic-types in the tier. Thunder Wave allows Uxie to essentially neuter opposing fast threats or setup sweepers such as Mega Aerodactyl, Salamence, and Alakazam.

Set Details
========

Maximum EVs placed in HP and Defense along with a Bold nature let Uxie take on the many physical attackers of the tier better, more specifically common Fighting-types such as Machamp, Lucario, Toxicroak, and Cobalion. Leftovers provides passive recovery, the only solid recovery to which Uxie has access. The ability Levitate offers an immunity to Spikes and Toxic Spikes which is crucial for pivots as they can switch in much easier and Levitate also provides an extra Ground-type immunity for the user's team. An alternative EV spread of 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 SpD with a Calm nature is a viable option as it takes on special attackers such as Alakazam, Mega Sceptile, Nidoqueen, and Nidoking better. The extra investment in Special Defense specifically allows Uxie to avoid a 2HKO from Life Orb Alakazam Shadow Ball barring a Special Defense drop.

Usage Tips
========

Uxie can be used early-game to set up Stealth Rock early in order to rack up damage on the opposing team as they continuously switch in. Uxie switches in well against many common physical attackers. Afterwards,(AC) the user can set up Stealth Rock, potentially paralyze an opposing Pokemon with Thunder Wave, or keep up momentum using U-turn. Uxie puts in work as a pivot in the early- to mid-game, allowing sweepers in the back to take advantage of paralysis spread around and Stealth Rock damage inflicted upon the opposing team. Knock Off and Dark-type moves in general are fairly common so be wary of opposing Dark-type Pokemon switching in and threatening Uxie.

Team Options
========

Cobalion and Chesnaught make for quality partners as they can sponge common Dark-type moves while fulfilling their respective roles. Florges checks many Dark-types, specifically Hydreigon, and Bug-types while also being able to heal any status ailment that may be inflicted upon Uxie. Pokemon that can combat opposing bulky Steel-types such as Entei and Zapdos pair well. Finally, Uxie works well with hard-hitting Pokemon that appreciate the Speed drops of Thunder Wave and the fact that U-turn can bring them in safely.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

In addition to Stealth Rock, U-turn, and Thunder Wave, Uxie has access to many other unique utility moves, but they are usually not as reliable or helpful. Yawn, with its tendency to force switches, can be used in conjunction with U-turn as a great way to grab momentum. Dual screens can be used along with the item,(RC) Light Clay,(RC) to aid setup sweepers, but Cresselia is generally preferred due to its superior bulk and recovery. Toxic is an option over Thunder Wave to wear down opposing Pokemon, notably Sableye as it often switches in, but Uxie has no reliable recovery to help rack up damage,(AC) and Steel-types are also common switch-ins. Memento is a solid option, especially when used along side dual screens, to aid sweepers in the back that otherwise have a hard time in setting up safely that otherwise have a hard time in doing so. Colbur Berry could be used over Leftovers, but Uxie does not have many great options to threaten Dark-types back and Uxie also appreciates the passive recovery from Leftovers. Mental Herb is an option to avoid opposing Taunts and Encores,(RC) which is better utilized if using Memento. Knock Off is an option as an attacking move to cripple opposing walls, but it is generally hard for it to find a move slot with so much other competition. Finally, Uxie makes for a decent weather setter for rain and sun teams. While Azelf is usually better in this role due to the fact it is less vulnerable to Taunt, Uxie has Memento, which allows the user to maximize weather turns and bring in the abusers safely simultaneously.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Dark-types**: Krookodile, Crawdaunt, Hydreigon, and Sharpedo are all immune to Uxie's only STAB move and threaten it out as they can all potentially deal heavy damage. Some have to be wary of being paralyzed on the switch though.

**Taunt**: Fast Taunt users such as Froslass, Sableye, and Hydreigon can prevent Uxie from supporting the rest of the team with Thunder Wave and Stealth Rock.

**Status Conditions**: Poisons and Burns severely hamper Uxie's defensive capabilities and longevity.

**Bulky Steel-types**: Steel-types such as Mega Aggron, Escavalier, Doublade, and Forretress do not fear Uxie and can proceed to successfully do their jobs in front of it.

**Bulky Setup Sweepers**: Suicune, Snorlax, and Reuniclus all easily set up on Uxie as it cannot threaten them in any way.

GP 1/2

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Despite being commonly overlooked in the UU metagame, Uxie makes for a solid Stealth Rock user and pivot for more balance or bulky offense inclined teams. Incredible defenses at base 130 a piece give Uxie great natural bulk despite its rather mediocre HP stat. With the Levitate ability at its disposal, this bulky Psychic-type also provides an extra Ground-type immunity for the user's team as well as an immunity to Spikes and Toxic Spikes. To compliment complement its bulk, Uxie has access to a wide variety of support moves including Thunder Wave, U-turn, and Memento in addition to the previously mentioned Stealth Rock. Uxie also possesses a great Speed stat for a more defensive Pokemon at base 95, allowing it to outpace most of the other bulky Pokemon in the tier.

However, (AC) Uxie also (repetition) has some glaring weaknesses including relatively low offensive stats making it more passive than it would prefer. Also, to counteract its great natural bulk and support movepool, mono-Psychic (AH) typing is a rather mediocre one defensively, leaving it Uxie vulnerable to common moves such as Knock Off and Pursuit. This couples with the fact that Uxie has no means of reliable recovery. It is also worth noting that aside from setting up Stealth Rock and gaining momentum with U-turn, Cresselia largely outclasses Uxie in essentially every other role.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Psyshock is Uxie's main STAB move, allowing it to beat the Pokemon it is meant to check one-on-one. (AH) It notably can break the Substitute of offensive Gyarados with no extra Special Attack investment and potentially 2HKO Assault Vest Machamp after Stealth Rock damage. (AP) but However, (AC) (putting less related info in separate sentences) Psychic is a good option as well if the user's team already has solid answers to Gyarados, (AC) as it hits Cobalion and Chesnaught for significantly more damage. U-turn allows Uxie to act as a solid pivot and keep up offensive momentum, allowing the user to bring in their threats safely. Stealth Rock is crucial for every competitive team, (AC) as it helps punish opposing switches and supports the other members of the team as they put on pressure. These two moves set this Pokemon apart from other bulky Psychic-types in the tier. Thunder Wave allows Uxie to essentially neuter opposing fast threats or setup sweepers such as Mega Aerodactyl, Salamence, and Alakazam.

Set Details
========

Maximum EVs placed in HP and Defense along with a Bold nature let Uxie take on the many physical attackers of the tier better, more specifically common Fighting-types such as Machamp, Lucario, Toxicroak, and Cobalion. Leftovers provides passive recovery, the only solid recovery to which Uxie has access. The ability Levitate offers an immunity to Spikes and Toxic Spikes, (AC) which is crucial for pivots, (AC) as they can switch in much easier more easily, (AC) and also provides an extra Ground-type immunity for the user's team. An alternative EV spread of 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 SpD with a Calm nature is a viable option, (AC) as it lets Uxie takes on special attackers such as Alakazam, Mega Sceptile, Nidoqueen, and Nidoking better. The extra investment in Special Defense specifically allows Uxie to avoid a 2HKO from Life Orb Alakazam's Shadow Ball barring a Special Defense drop.

Usage Tips
========

Uxie can be used early-game to set up Stealth Rock early in order to rack up damage on the opposing team as they continuously switch in. Uxie switches in well against many common physical attackers. Afterwards, the user can set up Stealth Rock, potentially paralyze an opposing Pokemon with Thunder Wave, or keep up momentum using U-turn. Uxie puts in work as a pivot in the early- to and mid-game, allowing sweepers in the back to take advantage of paralysis spread around and Stealth Rock damage inflicted upon the opposing team. Knock Off and Dark-type moves in general are fairly common, (AC) so be wary of opposing Dark-type Pokemon switching in and threatening Uxie.

Team Options
========

Cobalion and Chesnaught make for quality partners, (AC) as they can sponge common Dark-type moves while fulfilling their respective roles. Florges checks many Dark-types, specifically Hydreigon, and Bug-types while also being able to heal any status ailment that may be inflicted upon Uxie. Pokemon that can combat opposing bulky Steel-types such as Entei and Zapdos pair well. Finally, Uxie works well with hard-hitting Pokemon that appreciate the Speed drops of Thunder Wave and the fact that U-turn can bring them in safely.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

In addition to Stealth Rock, U-turn, and Thunder Wave, Uxie has access to many other unique utility moves, but they are usually not as reliable or helpful. Yawn, with its tendency to force switches, can be used in conjunction with U-turn as a great way to grab momentum. Dual screens can be used along with Light Clay, to aid setup sweepers, but Cresselia is generally preferred due to its superior bulk and recovery. Toxic is an option over Thunder Wave to wear down opposing Pokemon, notably Sableye as it often switches in, but Uxie has no reliable recovery to help rack up damage, and Steel-types are also common switch-ins. Memento is a solid option, especially when used along with dual screens, to aid sweepers in the back that otherwise have a hard time setting up safely. Colbur Berry could be used over Leftovers, but Uxie does not have many great options to threaten Dark-types back and Uxie also appreciates the passive recovery from Leftovers. Mental Herb is an option to avoid opposing Taunts and Encores which that is better utilized if you're using Memento. Knock Off is an option as an attacking move to cripple opposing walls, but it is generally hard for it to find a move slot moveslot with so much other (or "so many other options") competition. Finally, Uxie makes for a decent weather setter for rain and sun teams. While Azelf is usually better in this role due to the fact it is less vulnerable to Taunt, Uxie has Memento, which allows the user to maximize weather turns and bring in the abusers sweepers safely simultaneously.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Dark-types**: Krookodile, Crawdaunt, Hydreigon, and Sharpedo are all immune to Uxie's only STAB move and threaten it out, (AC) as they can all potentially deal heavy damage. Some have to be wary of being paralyzed on the switch, (AC) though.

**Status Conditions**: Poisons and burns severely hamper Uxie's defensive capabilities and longevity.

**Bulky Setup Sweepers**: Suicune, Snorlax, and Reuniclus all easily set up on Uxie, (AC) as it cannot threaten them in any way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pak

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)