VGC Lyon warstory, the journey of an old school pokemon player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, some of you guys might remember me back from the RSE days, even if I rarely ever posted, I used to play a lot of netbattle back then.
After 3 years with no pokémon (new job in new town, working every saturday so I can't get to IRL tourney anymore) I decided to take a day off for this VGC 2010 event, since it was about an hour from where I live now.
I trained for a few weeks before the event, with the nickname "Frozen Flame" on pokemon online, being helped by my old friend Taj, Chris and Froggy25, as well as DeagleBeagle which provided me a lot of great advice, match training and my team.

After a short night in Valence, testing and RNGing with Froggy25, we took the train to get to Lyon, and was there at about 11 am.
I meet with my friends Taj and his sister, Chris, and a some other pokemon player I used to play with back to the RSE days, was nice to see all of those people.
Taj RNGed me almost all my team, but we realise at the last moment that the dialga he had for me wasn't 0 speed IV, ok, whatever, I'll have to do with this, and he lend me the trick room version of hitmontop so I can train his EV and level him during the line.

This is the team I played Big thanks to deagle beagle for this,

Dialga @ Lum berry (was more scared of smeargle and breloom than fighting type, especially with intimidate)
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Blizzard
- Dragon Pulse
- Protect
- Trick Room

Hitmontop (M) @ Macho Brace
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Atk / 100 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Detect
- Fake Out
- Low Kick
- Rock Slide

Abomasnow (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Blizzard
- Grass Knot
- Ice Shard
- Protect

Groudon @ Iron Ball
Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

here we go for the match :

1st match : Vs a cool dude, about my age, who came with his little brother
He played Groudon and ninetails first, then dragonite and another poké I don't remember, sorry.
First turn I fake out groudon and go for TR, he nasty plot with ninetails, on turn 2 I dragon pulse and low kicked his groudon, and he did a critical flame thrower on my dialga, KOing it (maybe it would have koed it anyway, don't know for sure), then I replace it with Groudon, get a sword dance in and swept his whole team.

2nd match : VS a sympathic kid
He led jolteon metagross, and beside was a kyogre and something I can't remember.
first turn he substitute with jolteon while I FO his metagross and get the TR out, then I detect with top and go for jolteon with Dialga, feeling an explosion was about to come, and this is exactly what happened, the rest of the match was then very easy, with the TR out, Top and dialga took kyogre out in no time, and the other poké met the same fate.

3rd match : VS Picollo (greetings ;) )
He played smeargle/Dialga/Giratina/Ttar
ok, things start to get serious, I know I'm facing a very skilled player.
When I see the lead I thought that it must be TR too, so I decide not to try the TR way, especially with my unperfect Dialga, so I go for smeargle with both fake out and D pulse, but he switched smeargle to giratina, who took a strong hit from the pulse, while protecting with dialga, the next turn, since he protected with dialga I decide to go for it with both my attacker, low kicking and pulsing it, leaving it in red while giratina protected. then I brought abomasnow to secure 100% blizzard with the dialga to finish both his dragons. the rest of the match is pretty obvious, especially with the lum berry on dialga.

I'm now in the finalist lounge and they ask us to draw an energy card, people who pick a fighting energy card will have a bye, while the 8 people who pick a plant card will have to play their top 32 match, and I draw a,....
Plant card! wow, luck seems to run out

4th Match VS, someone called Max, if I remember correctly, he had a t shirt with his nickname and the team he is from, I think it was "eternia"
he played : Kyogre/Toxicroak/ludicolo and Kingdra
first turn we fake each other uber out, then I get the trick room out while he focuses on my dialga, I'm afraid I don't remember the rest of the match very well, but there was a lot of switching in the following few turn, and my abomasnow ended up blizzarding all the way while ogre was knocked out, eventually getting a freeze on ludicolo which definately sealed the match in my favor.

I'm now to top 16, and when I see my opponent, once again, I know I'm in big trouble, it's Galooks, a friend of froggy25, who seems to be a smogoner also
He played Infernape/Giratina/Ttar, and something else
When I see the lead I know it's gonna be damn hard, that's the lead I was most scared of, after a lot of hesitation I withdrew dialga, because even if both where intimidated, he could still be knocked out quickly, I replaced it with groudon, expecting to take the physical attacks quite easily, but he must have anticipated it and his ape just go overheat on my groudon, getting a good amount of damage, while gira used shadow force, I'm in a bad position, I guess I must sacrifice Groudon if I want to stand a chance so I leave both on field and try to rock slide with both, getting them at about 50% while my two poké end up in really bad shape, I thought my only option left was to let both die and try to get a TR out and spam blizzard, which is what I done, but he was saving a TTar to replace the ape, and ended up my journey there.

Even if I feel a bit sad for losing so close from the top, I'm quite proud of my performance, for just getting back in the game for 2 weeks I couldn't have hopped to win, then I see that my friend froggy is still on the competition, cool, let's go cheer for him !

And after a strange semi against a Full electric/kyogre team, he ends up against Albert and took the title, congrats, I'm really happy that he finally got a result he deserve, because back when we played RSE he always seemed to get haxed somewhere before the finals.

Overall it was a very good day, meeting lots of cool people and having fun, interesting match.

Deagle Beagle, for the training and team building
Taj, for RNGing all my team
Froggy, for winning, you deserved it,
All my opponents, who were very nice
and of course, all my friends who came.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Puniverse, it's been way too long! The last I heard of you was from Aquathan I think maybe two years ago.

Wow, great job for just getting back into playing and in such short time. I knew 2 people who only prepared for the event within the 2 weeks leading up to it and they both lost first round. Congrats!

I think when the Trick Room end, you have big trouble. And you cannot do anything against Fake out. But i would have big problems if i hadn't Overheat, i put it on my infernape instead of heat wave only for Groudon.

Congratulation for your come back and our match was interesting ;), maybe i played against you on pokemon online

DeagleBeagle

Banned deucer.
Congrats FrozenFlame, glad the team I made did pretty well with you using it, well I knew it had pretty good overall potential and figured it kind of suited you so it ended up being a good choice on my part. I remember training my friend for 2 days, he hadn't played at all since 2006, before the tournament, yet he got top8. So not trying to brag, just saying I like helping people out, and many more people like Human, Heracross, Sapphire Birch, and many more I can't even remember were already good but we conversed together to come up with a good team to use.

Congrats FrozenFlame, glad the team I made did pretty well with you using it, well I knew it had pretty good overall potential and figured it kind of suited you so it ended up being a good choice on my part. I remember training my friend for 2 days, he hadn't played at all since 2006, before the tournament, yet he got top8. So not trying to brag, just saying I like helping people out, and many more people like Human, Heracross, Sapphire Birch, and many more I can't even remember were already good but we conversed together to come up with a good team to use.
Hahahaha.

Not trying to brag, but I designed several European teams that qualified and people just stole them, got the trip and didn't even thank me while I got haxed out of both qualifiers. Palkia/Clefable/Machamp/Kyogre and Banette/Hariyama/Kyogre/Dialga both were my teams initially. I trained Kedavra who eventually won the German qualifier. I built Sanchan's team in major parts (Groudon/Exeggutor/Abomasnow/Palkia, German 3rd). Do you think even one of them was grateful for what I did for them (basically getting a free trip and/or a DSi?). Also, ask zerowing how he feels after everyone and his mother copied his team yet he wasn't able to attend Nationals due to that family incident and now he has to rely on going to Worlds LCQ and not getting kicked his ass there by the Japanese when he certainly would've qualified?

At least people are grateful to you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)