VGC SHOWDOWN - MattJ versus the moof

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Battle between mattj and muffinhead started!

IT FINALLY HAPPENED. The showdown started between mattj_ridiculous_long_irc_nicknames and MH. I recently made an extremely derpy team and took it to Skarmbliss server to test it out. After a few battles, I felt confident enough to challenge mattj. What we both got was undoubtedly one of the best battles we have ever played. I enjoyed it so much that I felt a warstory was in order. Here 'tis, the epic tale of MOOF V. MATTJ!!!!!

my comments will be green, mattj's will be another color (if he has time to comment).

just so that you have some idea of what I am doing, here is my team with items.
@choice specs heehee
@ lum berry
@ Choice Band heehee
@ leftovers

[box]Tier: VGC 2011
Rule: Unrated
Rule: Disallow Spects
Rule: Item Clause
Rule: Species Clause
Rule: Self-KO Clause

muffinhead sent out Galvantula!
mattj sent out Jalhalla! (Chandelure)
muffinhead sent out Gigalith!
mattj sent out Purry! (Mienshao)
muffinhead: hee hee
mattj: :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))000
muffinhead: 000[/box]
Right away I have a feeling that mattj will Fake Out Gigalith to break Sturdy and prevent Rock Slide from tearing apart Chandelure. I think he will also Heat Wave with Chandelure to fry my poor little spider bug as soon as possible. I will Protect on Gigalith and go to Basculin, who easily handles Chandelure.

[box]
+

====>>
+

Start of turn 1
muffinhead called Galvantula back!
muffinhead sent out Basculin-A!

Gigalith used Protect!
Gigalith protected itself!

The foe's Purry used Fake Out!

The foe's Jalhalla used Heat Wave!
It's not very effective...
Basculin-A lost 63 HP! (43% of its health)
Gigalith protected itself![/box]
Everything works perfectly, and now I feel safe to Aqua Jet Chandelure and Rock Slide Kojondo (I don't want to hit Basculin with EQ).

[box]
+

+

Start of turn 2
Basculin-A used Aqua Jet!
It's super effective!
The foe's Jalhalla lost 100% of its health!
The foe's Jalhalla fainted!

The foe's Purry used Hi Jump Kick!
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Gigalith lost 191 HP! (99% of its health)
Gigalith held on thanks to Sturdy!

Gigalith used Rock Slide!
mattj: holy OUCH
The foe's Purry lost 43% of its health!

muffinhead: MASSIVE DAMAGE
mattj sent out Zephos! (Thundurus)

mattj: hardcore
muffinhead: lol[/box]
Sturdy once again proves invaluable, and MIGHTY MIGHTY PIRANHA NETS A KO!! Out comes Thundurus, but I can't decide which Pokemon to Aqua Jet. Finally I click on Mienshao, thinking that Aqua Jet could finish it off.

[box]
+

+

Start of turn 3
The foe's Purry used Protect!
The foe's Purry protected itself!

Gigalith used Protect!

Basculin-A used Aqua Jet!

The foe's Zephos used Discharge!
It's super effective!
Basculin-A lost 83 HP! (56% of its health)
Basculin-A fainted!
The foe's Zephos is hurt by its Life Orb!

muffinhead: NUUUUUU
muffinhead sent out Galvantula!

muffinhead: :<
muffinhead: i lose[/box]
Mattj cleverly predicts my Aqua Jet and disposes against the piranhamon. Targeting Thundurus with Aqua Jet would have helped me win a lot easier. Now that Gigalith is at 1 HP and extremely slow as always, I feel like a fast offensive presence would work better than Mandibuzz. Specs HP Ice will hit Thundurus very hard, and I can only hope it KOs.

[box]
====>>
+

+

Start of turn 4
mattj called Purry back!
mattj sent out Randorosu! (Landorus)

The foe's Zephos used Discharge!
It had no effect!
A critical hit!
Galvantula lost 109 HP! (74% of its health)
A critical hit!
Gigalith lost 1 HP! (0% of its health)
Gigalith fainted!

Galvantula used Hidden Power!
It's super effective!
The foe's Zephos lost 80% of its health!

muffinhead: crit.....
mattj: geez
muffinhead sent out Mandibuzz!

muffinhead: crit won it gg
mattj: jah[/box]
This was horrible. Not only did HP Ice not KO, but Discharge critted my only hope against the geniebros. I give mattj the GG, and decide to play it out anyways. Vulturemon needs some action. I also target Landorus with HP Ice, and hope to somehow kill Thundurus with Brave Bird from the quite bulky Mandibuzz.

[box]
+
====>>

+

Start of turn 5
mattj called Zephos back!

It's super effective!
The foe's Randorosu lost 99% of its health!
The foe's Randorosu hung on using its focus sash!

The foe's Randorosu used Rock Slide!
Galvantula avoided the attack!
It's super effective!
Mandibuzz lost 48 HP! (22% of its health)

Mandibuzz used Brave Bird!
It's super effective!
mattj: AHAHAHAH
The foe's Purry lost 56% of its health!
The foe's Purry fainted!
Mandibuzz is hit with recoil!

Mandibuzz restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
muffinhead: NAHHHH
muffinhead: lmao
mattj sent out Zephos! (Thundurus)

muffinhead: (you still won)
mattj: 1HP SUCKA
muffinhead: ggggggggggggggg
muffinhead: brb scarfing galvantula
mattj: :3[/box]
Focus Sash on a Landorus what is this..... All hope looks lost until ROCK SLIDE MISSES AND GIVES ME LIFE! Compensating somewhat for the critical hit earlier, this puts me in an outstanding position. I seem to have forgotten Life Orb recoil from Thundurus at the end of this turn, but no matter.

[box]
+

+

Start of turn 6
The foe's Zephos used Thunder!
It's super effective!
Mandibuzz lost 156 HP! (71% of its health)
Mandibuzz fainted!
The foe's Zephos fainted!

It's super effective!
The foe's Randorosu lost 0% of its health!
The foe's Randorosu fainted!

muffinhead won the battle!
muffinhead: yay i did something right
mattj: thanks for the good fight
muffinhead: .....................
mattj: LOLOLOLOL
muffinhead: mattj...........
mattj: ahahahahaha
mattj: ahahaha
muffinhead: whoa
muffinhead: warstory????????????
mattj: GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG[/box]
Life Orb recoil kills his Thundurus after it risks a Thunder on Mandibuzz. HP Ice gives me the win!! Amazing game mattj :DDDDDD

muffinhead's Props:
  • 2 Choice Items on a derpy team of derps
  • Rock Slide missing for me n_n
muffinhead's Slops:
  • Discharge critting poor little spider bug
  • Focus Sash Landorus .___.

Hope you all enjoyed it, FANTASTIC game mattj! look forward to many many more in the future :D

Yeah, that's what I was thinking- is VGC 11 different in that there's more switching? I haven't played much.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking- is VGC 11 different in that there's more switching? I haven't played much.
I've played about 30 2011 VGC matches and haven't seen nearly that much switching, this particular battle seems like an isolated incident. It's still too risky when you only have four Pokemon and it's doubles format. I've lost a couple battles due to over-switching. I don't think this year will compare to last year's epic weather-switching battles in those terms.

Muffin, your team was amazingly derpy -- I love it. Choice Band Aqua Jet is a pretty good idea, particularly since some of the biggest threats (Terrakion, Landolos, Chandelure) are weak to water.

Cassie

giant claw
Ahahaha. I just wish my derpy teams worked as well as yours. xD This was awesome, and I can't wait to see more of your derpy teams! ^_^

Maybe it's just me, but I was a tad disappointed by this warstory. It's not bad by any means, just lacks a certain oomph imo. The recent Doubles and Triples warstories really drew you into the unfamiliar meta with some interesting strategies and long battles, whereas this was just too short to get into really, as well as just not too interesting :\.

So much switching in such a short battle detracted from anything actually happening, and the hax didn't really do anything to help, even if it did balance out to an extent. I suppose it was the short comments that prevented me from really enjoying it most though - if you're unfamiliar with the meta like I am it really doesn't give a lot of insight into what the hell is going on, etc. It was adequate yes, but there could have been more.

Idk, I'd like to see more warstories from you, the format was very nice and your team seemed inventive and interesting, but the warstory itself wasn't the best.

Posting in warstory by muffinhead.

I've been wondering how VGC 11's been shaping up, (Kestral has so little time for PKMN these days) so this was a nice look into the meta for me.

Commentary was decent, it provided a fairly good insight into what VGC 11 is like. I really liked how your "lulz" team actually performed well. Very enjoyable, 7.5/10

Windsong

stumbling down elysian fields
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Muffin, I need a dumb cliche comment to describe this battle. D:

But yeah this was pretty BAWSS.

Considered he used like 3/4 severely broken semi-uber Pokemon im glad you won lol but dont get me wrong, id use them too haha just still glad you won

I agree with benlisted. It was much too short, I understand that it was VGC and battles are generally shorter but that was too short for a warstory. This is probably just me but I thought the nicknames shouldve been omitted or had the names next to them for the whole battle as I had to scroll up to see which nicknames corresponded to which pokemon; but I have a bad memory. I thought that your pokes were really interesting and that was a major plus but, again, because youre battle was so short we didnt get to see much of them. Regarding your format, I liked the images but I wouldve put a commentary in between moves as necessary. For example:

Start of turn 5
mattj called Zephos back!

It's super effective!
The foe's Randorosu lost 99% of its health!
The foe's Randorosu hung on using its focus sash!

Focus Sash on a Landorus what is this..... All hope looks lost until.....

The foe's Randorosu used Rock Slide!
Galvantula avoided the attack!
It's super effective!
Mandibuzz lost 48 HP! (22% of its health)

ROCK SLIDE MISSES AND GIVES ME LIFE! Compensating somewhat for the critical hit earlier, this puts me in an outstanding position.

This gives commentary on the battle as someone reads it as apposed to after a bunch of events that happened; enhancing the emotion expierienced. I think your commentary was decent, but held back the shortness and lack of mindgames or predictions. Although, I definetely think you should try again with a batlle that has more prediction and mindgames because you seem to show promise

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Why did mattj switch back to Mienshao? That did absolutely nothing but producing a wasted turn, as far as I can tell.

Intriguing that it was a VGC match, but the simple log-style was kind of hard to follow. It would have been nicer if you had color-coded the opponent's monsters and your monsters to distinguish them and ended each turn with the health percentages of monsters.

You had an excellent early prediction and I was very happy with two other things-that you used derpy hurr durr der pokes and you won by dodging the rock slide, pretty epic
7/10

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)