Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
QC: Magnemite / Montsegur / Anty
GP: GatoDelFuego / The Dutch Plumberjack

Gud plant

Overview
########
Although Victreebel faces competition from Leafeon and Sawsbuck as a physical sun sweeper, it does not as a special one, and it also has a Poison-type STAB move as well as strong priority in Sucker Punch over Leafeon and Sawsbuck. With Victreebel's high-powered attacks and great Special Attack, it can easily blow holes in the opponent's team for a teammate to sweep. Its typing is also pretty good, with nice resistances, most notably to Fighting, Water, and Electric. However, the sun sweeper set is quite useless when sun is not up, because without it Victreebel is quite slow and can't use its high powered attacks. Victreebel struggles with priority due to its frailty, especially Ice Shard. Victreebel is also not very hard to wall by dedicated special walls if lacking Growth or if something has already been put to sleep. Its frailty and Life Orb damage make Victreebel easy to wear down as well, and it has some trouble with common threats such as Sneasel, Purugly, and Tauros.

Sun Sweeper
########
name: Sun Sweeper
move 1: Solar Beam / Energy Ball
move 2: Weather Ball
move 3: Sludge Bomb / Sunny Day
move 4: Sleep Powder / Growth
ability: Chlorophyll
item: Life Orb
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Modest

Moves
========
Solar Beam is Vicreebel's strongest and most spammable move under the sun, but it can be replaced with Energy Ball for a more reliable Grass-type STAB move, as it is still fairly powerful and can be used outside of sun. Weather Ball is a powerful move that hits Steel-type Pokemon such as Metang and Klang hard when sun is up and has great neutral coverage with Solar Beam. Sludge Bomb is the preferred move in the third moveslot, as it's a secondary STAB move that hits Dragon-types such as Fraxure hard and is Victreebel's only way of harming Togetic. Sunny Day is an alternative option to not be completely reliant on team support. In the fourth moveslot, Sleep Powder is the first move you should consider, because it puts Pokemon Victreebel can not easily defeat, such as Lickilicky, to sleep and gets around Sucker Punch. The alternative move you could use in this moveslot is Growth, which boosts Victreebels offensive stats by two in the sun; however, it is not preferred, as Victreebel has a hard time setting up and still struggles against dedicated walls.

Set Details
========
A Life Orb is the preferred item to do as much damage as possible without being locked into a move. A Modest nature and full investment into Special Attack maxes out the damage Victreebel does, and full Speed investment is to make Victreebel as fast as possible under the sun and Speed tie with Adamant Choice Scarf Tauros.

Usage Tips
========
Make sure that the sun is always up when Victreebel is in the field, for without sun this set is quite useless. Victreebel's bulk is far from impressive, so if using Growth be careful when setting up on offensive Pokemon. Try to give it free switches with suicide leads such as Carbink and Golem, as it does not appreciate taking even resisted hits. If you really have to, only switch in on Pokemon that can not do much against it, such as Bastiodon, Simisage, Tangela, or Prinplup. Victreebel is best used early- and mid-game to sweep the opposing team or weaken walls for another Pokemon to sweep. Make use of Sleep Powder by putting predicted special wall switch-ins to sleep and switching to something that can beat them.

Team Options
========
This set is only meant to be used on dedicated sun teams, so dedicated sun setters such as Volbeat, Carbink, Murkrow, and Golem are no-brainers and the first teammates you should think about. Fire-type Pokemon to take advantage the sun with such as Flareon, Simisear, and Ninetales are obviously good teammates as well. A second Chlorophyll Pokemon is important, as with only one sun is not nearly as threatening. Sawsbuck and Leafeon are the only other viable users, making them almost mandatory as teammates. Entry hazard setters such as the aforementioned Carbink and Golem help Victreebel score some extra OHKOs and 2HKOs against Pokemon such as Pelipper and Togetic and helps break Focus Sashes.

Mixed Attacker
########
name: Mixed Attacker
move 1: Leaf Blade / Power Whip
move 2: Sucker Punch / Knock Off
move 3: Sludge Bomb
move 4: Sleep Powder / Swords Dance
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Naughty

Moves
========
Leaf Blade is the preferred Grass-type STAB move, as it is compatible with Sucker Punch unlike Power Whip. Power Whip is stronger, however, and should be used if using Knock Off over Sucker Punch. Sucker Punch is a strong priority move that helps Victreebel defeat faster Pokemon such as Zebstrika and Kadabra, but Knock Off can be used to beat Pokemon such as Gourgeist and Duosion that won't necessarily attack, and it is generally a nice utility move to take away items. Sludge Bomb is a secondary STAB move that deals special damage and does a lot of damage to Togetic and Tangela. Sleep Powder is useful to disable Pokemon Victreebel can not easily defeat, such as Bastiodon and Arbok, while Swords Dance boosts its Attack stat to even higher levels and makes it easier for Victreebel to sweep teams.

Set Details
========
Life Orb is the preferred item to do as much damage as possible without being locked into a move. Full Attack investment with a Naughty nature is to deal heavy damage, and 252 Speed EVs are to outspeed as much as possible, because Victreebel does not like taking hits due to its bad defensive stats.

Usage Tips
========
Do not believe that just because Victreebel has Sucker Punch it it is always going to KO the opponent's Pokemon, as it lacks STAB and one of the most relevant faster Pokemon, Sneasel, actually resists it. This set can be used to bait Pokemon such as Grumpig and Tangela, opening the way for a teammate to sweep. Victreebel appreciates free switch-ins with Volt Switch, U-turn, suicide leads, or by sending it in after one of your other Pokemon has fainted. If you absolutely have to switch it into a Pokemon, make sure that the opposing Pokemon can not harm Victreebel too much, because it does not like taking STAB, and even neutral, resisted hits. Wear the opponent's Pokemon down before you attempt a sweep, because if Victreebel fails to KO it is most likely getting KOed itself. Predict well, because if you do not Victreebel will have taken Life Orb damage for nothing. This set works best early- or mid-game to surprise the walls mentioned above.

Team Options
========
Fighting-types such as Throh and Poliwrath can deal with Ice-type Pokemon, especially Sneasel, which can revenge kill Victreebel with Ice Shard. Fire-types such as Ninetales and Flareon can cover Victreebel's Fire-type weakness, and they can potentially grab a Flash Fire boost too. Rock-type Pokemon such as Carracosta and Golem can deal with Flying-types and Fire-types and set up on them, and Dark-type Pokemon such as Sneasel as well as Steel-type Pokemon such as Metang can switch into Psychic-types. Pokemon that can lay entry hazards such as Piloswine and Golem increase Victreebel's chances of breaking through walls like Pelipper and Gourgeist. U-turn and Volt Switch users such as Scyther and Raichu are nice teammates because they wear down the foe and can give Victreebel free switches, something it greatly appreciates. Although this set does not rely on sun, having a teammate with Sunny Day can still be game-changing. Pokemon that have counters that Victreebel baits and cripples or defeats, such as Raichu and Aurorus, appreciate this set's ability to lure common answers to the sun sweeper set.

Other Options
########
Giga Drain is a reliable STAB move that works outside of the sun and recovers HP too. Leaf Storm could be used for a one-time powerful attack outside of the sun, but it makes Victreebel setup fodder afterwards. Encore can create free turns for teammates to set up. A Substitute + Salac Berry set could be a dangerous sweeper if allowed to set up. Belch is an interesting move that could be used with a Substitute + Salac Berry set, but it is unreliable, for it does not work unless Victreebel has consumed a berry.

Checks & Counters
########

**Strong Priority**: Strong priority users such as Sneasel and Piloswine are able to force Victreebel out quite easily with Ice Shard. If at lower health, other strong priority users such as Choice Band Scyther and Dusknoir can do the same with Quick Attack and Shadow Sneak, respectively. Fake Out Purugly can be annoying to Victreebel too, stalling out sun turns while doing damage.

**Paralysis**: Pokemon that can paralyze Victreebel, such as Volbeat, Grumpig, and Arbok, can be considered good checks, as paralysis prevents Victreebel from sweeping by slowing it down and thus making it practically useless.

**Special Walls**: Special walls such as Lickylicky and Grumpig can wall the sun sweeper set and stall it out, phaze it, or cripple it with status if another Pokemon has already been put to sleep. Sliggoo deserves a special mention because it takes very little from anything the sun sweeper set can do.

**Faster Pokemon**: Many Pokemon can outspeed Victreebel outside of the sun and easily KO it. Examples of these are Ninetales, Kadabra, Dodrio, and Tauros. It should be noted that a Jolly Tauros equipped with a Choice Scarf is faster than Victreebel even in the sun and has a very good chance to KO Victreebel with Double-Edge after one round of Life Orb recoil.

Last edited:

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think Sleep Powder should be slashed first on both sets. Victreebel doesn't have an easy time setting up, and the fast Sleep can be amazing for getting a free turn to attack, or switch out to your Sun setter if Sun fades. I also think an offensive set with Leaf Storm should be mentioned in OO. Tagging Magnemite TRC because they've used Sun more than I have.

Grim

The Ghost
I think Sleep Powder should be slashed first on both sets. Victreebel doesn't have an easy time setting up, and the fast Sleep can be amazing for getting a free turn to attack, or switch out to your Sun setter if Sun fades. I also think an offensive set with Leaf Storm should be mentioned in OO. Tagging Magnemite TRC because they've used Sun more than I have.
Slashed Sleep Powder first and added Leaf Storm. Should I elaborate more on the Other Options though?

nitpicking, but the formatting of Checks & Counters is wrong. Supposed to be like this:

**Strong Priority**: Strong priority users are able to force Victreebel out quite easily with strong priority, such as 'examples'

**Paralysis**: Pokemon that can paralyze Victreebel can be considered a good check, as it prevents Victreebel from sweeping.

Something like this, you can change the wording if you want, ofc.

I wouldn't mention unpredictability in the overview at all, it only has two sets and one of those is only used on a very specific team archetype

Regarding the sun set:

Yeah sleep powder is better, I never once found myself wanting to use Growth

Bastiodon isn't really important enough to warrant taking away your only usable move when sun isn't up and your only way of getting past togetic, move it to oo

Weather ball isn't just for steels, it has an effective 150 bp in sun and gets great neutral coverage with solarbeam.

Your usage tips and team options are a bit barren. Usage tips should have something about putting predicted special wall switch-ins to sleep and then switching to something that can beat them. You could also make your current usage tips more specific and maybe add another one.

The team options should be way more specific. Make sure to mention that this set is only for dedicated sun teams, so dedicated sun setters and other mons that take advantage sun are mandatory. Mention Volbeat, carbink, murkrow, and golem as sun setters. Mention other fires such as simisear, ninetales, etc as team options. Remove the point about synergy, sun teams don't have the teamslots for that.

Regarding the second set, I don't have too much to say, other than that your team options and usage tips are again pretty barren and need to be fleshed out.

C&C is missing a bunch of stuff, special walls such as Lickilicky and SpD musharna easily wall the first set. Faster Pokemon should also be there mainly for the second set as victreebel is both slow and frail. Things like Tauros and Dodrio can easily revenge it.

After you implement this, I'll look at it again and then if it's good I'll stamp it, if there are a few more thing to fix at that point I'll stamp after you fix them.

Note why growth isn't as good as sleep powder in moves (hard to find time to set up, still can't really break dedicated walls, sleep powder is more consistently useful, etc)

Mention examples under faster pokemon in c&c (tauros, ninetales, etc). Give a special mention to scarf Tauros as it outspeeds and OHKOes even in sun.

HP Fighting is in both moves and oo, pick one and get rid of the other one (preferably keep it in oo)

Remove mentions of sun and the growth slash from the second set, and mention power whip (with the appropriate nature) in moves of the first set, as victreebel plays completely differently on sun than it does otherwise but mixed sets in the sun are still viable.

I wouldn't mention bastiodon on the mixed set as it and victreebel only work on completely different team archetypes. Mention golem, Piloswine, garbodor, etc for hazard setters.

"Its frailty and Life Orb recoil make Victreebels health go down faster than you would like, so only bring it out to clean up late game or when you're sure that it can KO"

I would remove this as sun teams have to play quite recklessly due to their reliance on beating everything on the opposing team before the sun goes away and overall lack of synergy. Instead mention that either victreebel or the other chlorophyll user on the team (which is almost always sawsbuck) will break through the other team so that the other of the two can clean late game.

Speaking of Sawsbuck, I'd emphasize the importance of running two chlorophyll users, as sun isn't nearly as threatening with just one. Also mention that Sawsbuck is really the only other viable one (which isn't a bad thing, Sawsbuck is plenty good enough), so it's almost mandatory as a teammate.

Implement this and I will stamp.

Last edited:

Grim

The Ghost
Note why growth isn't as good as sleep powder in moves (hard to find time to set up, still can't really break dedicated walls, sleep powder is more consistently useful, etc)

Mention examples under faster pokemon in c&c (tauros, ninetales, etc). Give a special mention to scarf Tauros as it outspeeds and OHKOes even in sun.

HP Fighting is in both moves and oo, pick one and get rid of the other one (preferably keep it in oo)

Remove mentions of sun and the growth slash from the second set, and mention power whip (with the appropriate nature) in moves of the first set, as victreebel plays completely differently on sun than it does otherwise but mixed sets in the sun are still viable.

I wouldn't mention bastiodon on the mixed set as it and victreebel only work on completely different team archetypes. Mention golem, Piloswine, garbodor, etc for hazard setters.

"Its frailty and Life Orb recoil make Victreebels health go down faster than you would like, so only bring it out to clean up late game or when you're sure that it can KO"

I would remove this as sun teams have to play quite recklessly due to their reliance on beating everything on the opposing team before the sun goes away and overall lack of synergy. Instead mention that either victreebel or the other chlorophyll user on the team (which is almost always sawsbuck) will break through the other team so that the other of the two can clean late game.

Speaking of Sawsbuck, I'd emphasize the importance of running two chlorophyll users, as sun isn't nearly as threatening with just one. Also mention that Sawsbuck is really the only other viable one (which isn't a bad thing, Sawsbuck is plenty good enough), so it's almost mandatory as a teammate.

Implement this and I will stamp.
Implemented.

Don't slash power whip, just mention it at the bottom of moves. I guess you could also mention that it's weaker than weather ball against neutral targets since it's from an uninvested stat, so when using it weather ball is the move you should be using against most neutral targets.

Other than that it looks good, QC 1/3

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]
This is rather lacking and I can see that it has good attacks just by looking at the above stats.
You need to explain what sort of role it fills in the PU metagame
Expand

[Sun Sweeper UT]
Seeing as this is a special set I wouldn't really say that Sawsbuck opens up holes for it to sweep
You need to explain how to bring it in and on what Pokemon you should bring it in on and when in the match you should bring it in

[Mixed Attacker UT]
I feel like this can be expanded out as right now the points are pretty obvious and a little confusing, you say don't reveal you are mixed to early, explain why you shouldn't reveal it as you can possibly get a KO on X, Y, and Z that normally come in to wall this.
You need to explain how to bring it in and on what Pokemon you should bring it in on and when in the match you should bring it in
Expand out with not so obvious points

[Team Options]
You say that hazards score some extra OHKOs and 2HKOs, either list them or if there aren't any than remove hazard setters seeing as how hazards benefit every Pokemon
This is still pretty empty and I'm not sure why I would use a volt turn core on a Victreebel team, is there any particular reason?

[C&C]
This needs to be expanded upon and needs to outline specific situations that Victreebel would encounter against said Checks and Counters.

Grim

The Ghost
[Overview]
This is rather lacking and I can see that it has good attacks just by looking at the above stats.
You need to explain what sort of role it fills in the PU metagame
Expand

[Sun Sweeper UT]
Seeing as this is a special set I wouldn't really say that Sawsbuck opens up holes for it to sweep

[Mixed Attacker UT]
I feel like this can be expanded out as right now the points are pretty obvious and a little confusing, you say don't reveal you are mixed to early, explain why you shouldn't reveal it as you can possibly get a KO on X, Y, and Z that normally come in to wall this.
Expand out with not so obvious points

[Team Options]
You say that hazards score some extra OHKOs and 2HKOs, either list them or if there aren't any than remove hazard setters seeing as how hazards benefit every Pokemon
This is still pretty empty and I'm not sure why I would use a volt turn core on a Victreebel team, is there any particular reason?

[C&C]
This needs to be expanded upon and needs to outline specific situations that Victreebel would encounter against said Checks and Counters.
Implemented. :)

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
QC: Magnemite / 2 /3
GP: 0 / 2

Gud plant

Overview
########
  • Great sun sweeper along with Leafeon or Sawsbuck
  • Very good Attack and Special Attack
  • Somewhat frail 80 / 65 / 70 defenses
  • Good defensive typing with nice resistances to Fighting, Water, and Electric
  • Needs a lot of support to do its job
  • Has some trouble with common threats like Sneasel, Tauros, and Purugly
I still feel like this part is a bit lacking. You say its a great sweeper alongside Leafeon or Sawsbuck, that should probably be changed to say that its main niche is a sun sweeper where it faces competition from those two as a physical sweeper but not as a Special sweeper. You have two points about stats that are pretty much just filler, these are not needed as when its done the Pokemon's stats will be directly above this and the reader can just go ahead and look above it. I wouldn't say it needs a lot of support to do its job, it just needs sun support. You can mention that outside of Sun its rather slow.

You need a couple more lines in both pro's and cons that aren't related to its stats but more related to how Victreebel fairs as a Pokemon in PU.

The rest of this looks good so after you improve the Overview you can tag me back and I'll give you the final check.

Hey, apologies for the intromision but I wanted to ask if there isn't any illegalities in the second set. I'm not sure if I'm mistaken, but Sucker Punch is a gen IV-only tutor while Power Whip is a gen-V/VI Egg move, and I don't think it's possible to get both (the only simile I can come up with is Gligar not being able to get Defog + Immunity, but that's with an ability so I'm not entirely sure), so I'd like confirmation on that. Sorry again for meddling.

Grim

The Ghost
Hey, apologies for the intromision but I wanted to ask if there isn't any illegalities in the second set. I'm not sure if I'm mistaken, but Sucker Punch is a gen IV-only tutor while Power Whip is a gen-V/VI Egg move, and I don't think it's possible to get both (the only simile I can come up with is Gligar not being able to get Defog + Immunity, but that's with an ability so I'm not entirely sure), so I'd like confirmation on that. Sorry again for meddling.
Welp, I will fix that and write up the rest tomorrow. Been really busy lately.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Overview
########
This sounds like it relies on sun always, when the second set doesn't.
Another huge niche it has over the other two in poison STAB and sucker punch (although the latter only helps out of sun really)

Sun Sweeper
########
Moves
========
I think energy ball deserves a mention here, as it still fairly powerful, and can be used outside sun, as otherwise the set pretty much relies on sun to be up

Set Details
========
Mention that max speed is required to speed tie with adamant scarf tauros

Usage Tips
========
'Try to give it free switch-ins with suicide leads like Carbink and Golem' - I dislike this, as it isnt switching into many leads, and sun certainly wont be up at t1, and turn 2 they would have set their hazards and can attack you

Team Options
========
Give examples of KO's that hazards allow victreebel to score
I think you can split the sun abusers to two separate parts, fire and chlorophyl so you dont repeat yourself

Mixed Attacker
########
Usage Tips
========
'Try if possible not to reveal that you use a mixed set too soon' - This should be reworded, like 'this set can be used to bait pokemon such as Grumpig and Tangela'
'Knocking off Sliggoo's Eviolite is amazing too.' This doesnt really add anything
I dont see this as a late game sweeper, i see this as a wall breaker (please correct me if im wrong), which should be used early/mid game (you arent baiting many walls in late game either)

Team Options
========
This needs to be more specific, instead of saying pokemon that beat priority users, as there isnt really one, it should be more like 'fighting-types, such as Throh and Poliwrath, can deal with Ice-type Pokemon, especcially sneasel, who can revenge kill vict with priority'. There needs to be more mentions of pokemon that beat specific checks and counters
'Victreebel baits and cripples or defeats, such as Raichu and Aurorus, appreciate this sets ability to lure common answers to the sun sweeper set.' What are the Pokemon that checks these which vict baits?

Other Options
########
Hp fight isnt relevant as bastiodon isnt either. Sub salac deserves a mention, maybe add belch there two

Checks & Counters
########
**Paralysis**: More examples

**Special Walls**: Special walls such as Lickylicky can wall the sun sweeper set and stall it out, phaze it, or cripple it with status if another pokemon has already been put to sleep. Sliggoo deserves a special mention because it takes very little from anything the sun sweeper set can do.

**Faster Pokemon**: 'If a Pokemon can outspeed Victreebel it can most likely KO it as well, because Victreebel has very bad bulk.' Just say many Pokemon can outspeed and KO, and give more examples. Also mention that its only Jolly scarf tauros that outspeeds

**Sticky Web**: I dont think this should be here, as it isnt relevant enough and it doesnt effect victreebel as much as it does other pokemon

GrimoireGod

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GrimoireGod

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########
Although Victreebel faces competition from Leafeon and Sawsbuck as a physical sun sweeper, it does not as a special one, and has Poison-type STAB move as well as strong priority in Sucker Punch over them what is 'them'? Leafeon and Sawsbuck? Other special sweepers?. With Victreebel's high-powered attacks and great Special Attack, it can easily blow holes in the opponent's team for a teammate to sweep. Its typing is also pretty good, with nice resistances, most notably to Fighting, Water, and Electric. However, Victreebel is far from perfect. the sun sweeper set is quite useless when sun is not up, because without it Victreebel is quite slow, (RC) and it can't use its high powered attacks. It Victreebel struggles with priority due to its frailty, especially Ice Shard. Victreebel is also not very hard to wall by dedicated special walls if lacking Growth or if something has already been put to sleep. Its frailty and Life Orb damage make Victreebel easy to wear down as well, and it has some trouble with common threats such as Sneasel, Purugly, and Tauros.

Sun Sweeper
########
Nature: Modest

Moves
========
Solar Beam is Vicreebel's strongest and most spammable move under the sun, but can be replaced with Energy Ball for a more reliable Grass-type STAB move, as it is still fairly powerful, (RC) and can be used outside of sun. Weather Ball is a powerful move that hits Steel-type Pokemon such as Metang and Klang hard, and has great neutral coverage with Solar Beam. Sludge Bomb is the preferred move in the third moveslot, as it's a secondary STAB move that hits Dragon-types like such as Fraxure hard, and is Victreebel's only way of harming Togetic. Sunny Day is an alternative option to set up sun for yourself and not be completely reliant on team support. In the fourth moveslot, Sleep Powder is the first move you should consider, because it puts Pokemon Victreebel can not easily defeat, such as Lickilicky, to sleep and gets around Sucker Punch. The alternative move you could use in this moveslot is Growth, which boosts Victreebels offensive stats by two in the sun, but is not preferred as Victreebel has a hard time setting up and still struggles against dedicated walls.

Set Details
========
A Life Orb is the preferred item to do as much damage as possible without being locked into a move. A Modest nature and full investment into Special Attack maxes out the damage Victreebel does, and full Speed investment is to make Victreebel as fast as possible under the sun and Speed tie with Adamant Choice Scarf Tauros.

Usage Tips
========
Make sure that the sun is always up when Victreebel is in the field, for without sun this set is quite useless. Victreebel's bulk is far from impressive, so if using Growth be careful with when setting up on offensive Pokemon. Try to give it Victreebel free switches switch-ins with suicide leads like such as Carbink and Golem, as it does not appreciate taking even resisted hits. If you really have to, only switch in on Pokemon which can not do much against it, such as Bastiodon, Simisage, Tangela, or Prinlup. Victreebel is best used early- and mid-game to sweep the opposing team or weaken walls for another Pokemon to sweep. Make use of Sleep Powder by putting predicted special wall switch-ins to sleep and switching to something that can beat them.

Team Options
========
This set is only meant to be used on dedicated sun teams, so dedicated sun setters such as Volbeat, Carbink, Murkrow, and Golem are no-brainers and the first thing teammates you should think about. Fire-type Pokemon to abuse the take advantage of sun with like such as Flareon, Simisear, and Ninetales are obviously good teammates. A second Chlorophyll abuser Pokemon is important, as with only one abuser sun is not nearly as threatening. Sawsbuck and Leafeon are the only other viable users, making them almost mandatory as teammates. Entry hazard setters like such as the aforementioned Carbink and Golem help Victreebel score some extra OHKOs and 2HKOes against Pokemon such as Pelipper and Togetic, and help breaks Focus Sashes.

Mixed Attacker
########

Moves
========
Leaf Blade is the preferred Grass-type STAB move, as it is compatible with Sucker Punch unlike Power Whip. Power Whip is stronger however, and should be used if using Knock Off over Sucker Punch. Sucker Punch is a strong priority move that helps Victreebel defeat faster Pokemon such as like Zebstrika and Kadabra, but Knock Off can be used to beat Pokemon such as like Gourgeist and Duosion that won't necessarily attack, and is generally a nice utility move to take away items. Sludge Bomb is a secondary STAB move that hits on the special side, and does a lot of damage to Togetic and Tangela. Sleep Powder is useful to disable Pokemon Victreebel can not easily defeat, such as Bastiodon and Arbok, while Swords Dance boosts its Attack stat to even higher levels and makes it easier for Victreebel to sweep teams.

Set Details
========
Life Orb is the preferred item to do as much damage as possible without being locked into a move. Full Attack investment with a Naughty nature is to deal heavy damage, and 252 Speed EVs are to outspeed as much as possible, because Victreebel does not like taking hits due to its bad defensive stats.

Usage Tips
========
Do not believe that just because you have Sucker Punch means that it it is always going to KO the opponent's Pokemon, as it lacks STAB, and one of the most relevant faster Pokemon, Sneasel, actually resists it. This set can be used to bait Pokemon such as Grumpig and Tangela, opening the way for a teammate to sweep. Victreebel appreciates free switch-ins with Volt Switch, U-turn, suicide leads, or by sending it in after one of your other Pokemon has fainted. If you absolutely have to switch it into a Pokemon, make sure that the opposing Pokemon it can not harm Victreebel too much, because it does not like taking STAB neutral, and even neutral STAB, (AC) resisted hits. Wear the opponent's Pokemon down before you attempt a sweep, because if Victreebel fails to KO it is most likely getting KOed itself. Predict well, because if you do not Victreebel will kill itself with have taken Life Orb damage for nothing. This set works best early- or mid-game to surprise the walls like those mentioned above.

Team Options
========
Fighting-types such as Throh and Poliwrath can deal with Ice-type Pokemon, especially Sneasel, which can revenge kill Victreebel with Ice Shard. Fire-types like such as Ninetales and Flareon can cover Victreebel's Fire-type weakness, and potentially grab a Flash Fire boost too. Rock-type Pokemon such as Carracosta and Golem can deal with Flying-types and Fire-types, (RC) and set up on them, and Dark-type Pokemon like such as Sneasel as well as Steel-type Pokemon such as Metang can switch into Psychic-types. Pokemon that can lay entry hazards such as like Piloswine and Golem increase Victreebel's chances of breaking through walls like such as Pelipper and Gourgeist. U-turn and Volt Switch users such as Scyther and Raichu are nice teammates because they wear down the foe and can give Victreebel free switches switch-ins, something it greatly appreciates. Although this set does not rely on sun, having a teammate with Sunny Day can still be game-changing. Pokemon that have counters which Victreebel baits and cripples or defeats, such as Raichu and Aurorus, appreciate this set's ability to lure common answers to the sun sweeper set.

Other Options
########
Giga Drain is a reliable STAB move that works outside of the sun, and recovers HP too. Leaf Storm could be used for a one-time powerful attack outside of the sun, but makes it Victreebel setup fodder afterwards. Encore can create free turns for teammates to set up. A Substitute + Salac Berry set could be a dangerous sweeper if allowed to set up. Belch is an interesting move that could be used with a Substitute + Salac Berry set, but is unreliable, for it does not work unless Victreebel has consumed a berry.

Checks & Counters
########

**Strong Priority**: Strong priority users such as Sneasel and Piloswine are able to force Victreebel out quite easily with Ice Shard. If at lower health, other strong priority users such as Choice Band Scyther and Dusknoir can do the same with Quick Attack and Shadow Sneak, (AC) respectively. Fake Out Purugly can be annoying to Victreebel too, stalling sun turns while doing damage.

**Paralysis**: Pokemon that can paralyze Victreebel, such as Volbeat, Grumpig, and Arbok, can be considered good checks, as it paralysis prevents Victreebel from sweeping by slowing it down, and thus making it practically useless.

**Special Walls**: Special walls such as Lickylicky and Grumpig can wall the sun sweeper set and stall it out, phaze it, or cripple it with status if another Pokemon has already been put to sleep. Sliggoo deserves a special mention because it takes very little from anything the sun sweeper set can do.

**Faster Pokemon**: Many Pokemon can outspeed Victreebel outside of the sun and easily KO it. Examples of these are Ninetales, Kadabra, Dodrio, and Tauros. It should be noted that a Jolly Tauros equipped with a Choice Scarf is faster than Victreebel even in the sun, and has a very good chance to KO Victreebel with Double-Edge after one Life Orb recoil.

1/2

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove
add (Capitalize)

(comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
Overview
########
Although Victreebel faces competition from Leafeon and Sawsbuck as a physical sun sweeper, it does not as a special one, and it also has a Poison-type STAB move as well as strong priority in Sucker Punch over Leafeon and Sawsbuck. With Victreebel's high-powered attacks and great Special Attack, it can easily blow holes in the opponent's team for a teammate to sweep. Its typing is also pretty good, with nice resistances, most notably to Fighting, Water, and Electric. However, the sun sweeper set is quite useless when sun is not up, because without it Victreebel is quite slow and can't use its high-powered (add hyphen) attacks. Victreebel struggles with priority due to its frailty, especially Ice Shard. Victreebel is also not very hard to wall by dedicated special walls if lacking Growth or if something has already been put to sleep. Its frailty and Life Orb damage make Victreebel easy to wear down as well, and it has some trouble with common threats such as Sneasel, Purugly, and Tauros.

Sun Sweeper
########

Moves
========
Solar Beam is Vicreebel's strongest and most spammable move under the sun, but it can be replaced with Energy Ball for a more reliable Grass-type STAB move, as it is still fairly powerful and can be used outside of sun. Weather Ball is a powerful move that hits Steel-type Pokemon such as Metang and Klang hard when sun is up, (RC) and has great neutral coverage with Solar Beam. Sludge Bomb is the preferred move in the third moveslot, as it's a secondary STAB move that hits Dragon-types such as Fraxure hard, (RC) and is Victreebel's only way of harming Togetic. Sunny Day is an alternative option to not be completely reliant on team support. In the fourth moveslot, Sleep Powder is the first move you should consider, because it puts Pokemon Victreebel can not easily defeat, such as Lickilicky, to sleep and gets around Sucker Punch. The alternative move you could use in this moveslot is Growth, which boosts Victreebels offensive stats by two in the sun; (SC) but however, it is not preferred, (AC) as Victreebel has a hard time setting up and still struggles against dedicated walls.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========
Make sure that the sun is always up when Victreebel is in the field, for without sun this set is quite useless. Victreebel's bulk is far from impressive, so if using Growth be careful when setting up on offensive Pokemon. Try to give it free switches with suicide leads such as Carbink and Golem, as it does not appreciate taking even resisted hits. If you really have to, only switch in on Pokemon which that can not do much against it, such as Bastiodon, Simisage, Tangela, or Prinlup Prinplup. Victreebel is best used early- and mid-game to sweep the opposing team or weaken walls for another Pokemon to sweep. Make use of Sleep Powder by putting predicted special wall switch-ins to sleep and switching to something that can beat them.

Team Options
========
This set is only meant to be used on dedicated sun teams, so dedicated sun setters such as Volbeat, Carbink, Murkrow, and Golem are no-brainers and the first teammates you should think about. Fire-type Pokemon to take advantage the sun with such as Flareon, Simisear, and Ninetales are obviously good teammates as well. A second Chlorophyll Pokemon is important, as with only one sun is not nearly as threatening. Sawsbuck and Leafeon are the only other viable users, making them almost mandatory as teammates. Entry hazard setters such as the aforementioned Carbink and Golem help Victreebel score some extra OHKOs and 2HKOes 2HKOs against Pokemon such as Pelipper and Togetic, (RC) and helps break Focus Sashes.

Mixed Attacker
########

Moves
========
Leaf Blade is the preferred Grass-type STAB move, as it is compatible with Sucker Punch unlike Power Whip. Power Whip is stronger, (AC) however, and should be used if using Knock Off over Sucker Punch. Sucker Punch is a strong priority move that helps Victreebel defeat faster Pokemon such as Zebstrika and Kadabra, but Knock Off can be used to beat Pokemon such as Gourgeist and Duosion that won't necessarily attack, and it is generally a nice utility move to take away items. Sludge Bomb is a secondary STAB move that hits on the special side (no spectrum-related stuff) deals special damage, (RC) and does a lot of damage to Togetic and Tangela. Sleep Powder is useful to disable Pokemon Victreebel can not easily defeat, such as Bastiodon and Arbok, while Swords Dance boosts its Attack stat to even higher levels and makes it easier for Victreebel to sweep teams.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========
Do not believe that just because you have Victreebel has Sucker Punch means that it it is always going to KO the opponent's Pokemon, as it lacks STAB, (RC) and one of the most relevant faster Pokemon, Sneasel, actually resists it. This set can be used to bait Pokemon such as Grumpig and Tangela, opening the way for a teammate to sweep. Victreebel appreciates free switch-ins with Volt Switch, U-turn, suicide leads, or by sending it in after one of your other Pokemon has fainted. If you absolutely have to switch it into a Pokemon, make sure that the opposing Pokemon can not harm Victreebel too much, because it does not like taking STAB, and even neutral, resisted hits. Wear the opponent's Pokemon down before you attempt a sweep, because if Victreebel fails to KO it is most likely getting KOed itself. Predict well, because if you do not Victreebel will have taken Life Orb damage for nothing. This set works best early- or mid-game to surprise the walls mentioned above.

Team Options
========
Fighting-types such as Throh and Poliwrath can deal with Ice-type Pokemon, especially Sneasel, which can revenge kill Victreebel with Ice Shard. Fire-types such as Ninetales and Flareon can cover Victreebel's Fire-type weakness, and they can potentially grab a Flash Fire boost too. Rock-type Pokemon such as Carracosta and Golem can deal with Flying-types and Fire-types and set up on them, and Dark-type Pokemon such as Sneasel as well as Steel-type Pokemon such as Metang can switch into Psychic-types. Pokemon that can lay entry hazards such as Piloswine and Golem increase Victreebel's chances of breaking through walls like Pelipper and Gourgeist. U-turn and Volt Switch users such as Scyther and Raichu are nice teammates because they wear down the foe and can give Victreebel free switches, something it greatly appreciates. Although this set does not rely on sun, having a teammate with Sunny Day can still be game-changing. Pokemon that have counters which that Victreebel baits and cripples or defeats, such as Raichu and Aurorus, appreciate this set's ability to lure common answers to the sun sweeper set.

Other Options
########
Giga Drain is a reliable STAB move that works outside of the sun, (RC) and recovers HP too. Leaf Storm could be used for a one-time powerful attack outside of the sun, but it makes Victreebel setup fodder afterwards. Encore can create free turns for teammates to set up. A Substitute + Salac Berry set could be a dangerous sweeper if allowed to set up. Belch is an interesting move that could be used with a Substitute + Salac Berry set, but it is unreliable, for it does not work unless Victreebel has consumed a berry.

Checks & Counters
########

**Strong Priority**: Strong priority users such as Sneasel and Piloswine are able to force Victreebel out quite easily with Ice Shard. If at lower health, other strong priority users such as Choice Band Scyther and Dusknoir can do the same with Quick Attack and Shadow Sneak, respectively. Fake Out Purugly can be annoying to Victreebel too, stalling out sun turns while doing damage.

**Paralysis**: Pokemon that can paralyze Victreebel, such as Volbeat, Grumpig, and Arbok, can be considered good checks, as paralysis prevents Victreebel from sweeping by slowing it down, (RC) and thus making it practically useless.

**Faster Pokemon**: Many Pokemon can outspeed Victreebel outside of the sun and easily KO it. Examples of these are Ninetales, Kadabra, Dodrio, and Tauros. It should be noted that a Jolly Tauros equipped with a Choice Scarf is faster than Victreebel even in the sun, (RC) and has a very good chance to KO Victreebel with Double-Edge after one round of Life Orb recoil.

GP 2/2

Last edited:

Grim

The Ghost
remove
add (Capitalize)

(comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
Overview
########
Although Victreebel faces competition from Leafeon and Sawsbuck as a physical sun sweeper, it does not as a special one, and it also has a Poison-type STAB move as well as strong priority in Sucker Punch over Leafeon and Sawsbuck. With Victreebel's high-powered attacks and great Special Attack, it can easily blow holes in the opponent's team for a teammate to sweep. Its typing is also pretty good, with nice resistances, most notably to Fighting, Water, and Electric. However, the sun sweeper set is quite useless when sun is not up, because without it Victreebel is quite slow and can't use its high-powered (add hyphen) attacks. Victreebel struggles with priority due to its frailty, especially Ice Shard. Victreebel is also not very hard to wall by dedicated special walls if lacking Growth or if something has already been put to sleep. Its frailty and Life Orb damage make Victreebel easy to wear down as well, and it has some trouble with common threats such as Sneasel, Purugly, and Tauros.

Sun Sweeper
########

Moves
========
Solar Beam is Vicreebel's strongest and most spammable move under the sun, but it can be replaced with Energy Ball for a more reliable Grass-type STAB move, as it is still fairly powerful and can be used outside of sun. Weather Ball is a powerful move that hits Steel-type Pokemon such as Metang and Klang hard when sun is up, (RC) and has great neutral coverage with Solar Beam. Sludge Bomb is the preferred move in the third moveslot, as it's a secondary STAB move that hits Dragon-types such as Fraxure hard, (RC) and is Victreebel's only way of harming Togetic. Sunny Day is an alternative option to not be completely reliant on team support. In the fourth moveslot, Sleep Powder is the first move you should consider, because it puts Pokemon Victreebel can not easily defeat, such as Lickilicky, to sleep and gets around Sucker Punch. The alternative move you could use in this moveslot is Growth, which boosts Victreebels offensive stats by two in the sun; (SC) but however, it is not preferred, (AC) as Victreebel has a hard time setting up and still struggles against dedicated walls.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========
Make sure that the sun is always up when Victreebel is in the field, for without sun this set is quite useless. Victreebel's bulk is far from impressive, so if using Growth be careful when setting up on offensive Pokemon. Try to give it free switches with suicide leads such as Carbink and Golem, as it does not appreciate taking even resisted hits. If you really have to, only switch in on Pokemon which that can not do much against it, such as Bastiodon, Simisage, Tangela, or Prinlup Prinplup. Victreebel is best used early- and mid-game to sweep the opposing team or weaken walls for another Pokemon to sweep. Make use of Sleep Powder by putting predicted special wall switch-ins to sleep and switching to something that can beat them.

Team Options
========
This set is only meant to be used on dedicated sun teams, so dedicated sun setters such as Volbeat, Carbink, Murkrow, and Golem are no-brainers and the first teammates you should think about. Fire-type Pokemon to take advantage the sun with such as Flareon, Simisear, and Ninetales are obviously good teammates as well. A second Chlorophyll Pokemon is important, as with only one sun is not nearly as threatening. Sawsbuck and Leafeon are the only other viable users, making them almost mandatory as teammates. Entry hazard setters such as the aforementioned Carbink and Golem help Victreebel score some extra OHKOs and 2HKOes 2HKOs against Pokemon such as Pelipper and Togetic, (RC) and helps break Focus Sashes.

Mixed Attacker
########

Moves
========
Leaf Blade is the preferred Grass-type STAB move, as it is compatible with Sucker Punch unlike Power Whip. Power Whip is stronger, (AC) however, and should be used if using Knock Off over Sucker Punch. Sucker Punch is a strong priority move that helps Victreebel defeat faster Pokemon such as Zebstrika and Kadabra, but Knock Off can be used to beat Pokemon such as Gourgeist and Duosion that won't necessarily attack, and it is generally a nice utility move to take away items. Sludge Bomb is a secondary STAB move that hits on the special side (no spectrum-related stuff) deals special damage, (RC) and does a lot of damage to Togetic and Tangela. Sleep Powder is useful to disable Pokemon Victreebel can not easily defeat, such as Bastiodon and Arbok, while Swords Dance boosts its Attack stat to even higher levels and makes it easier for Victreebel to sweep teams.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========
Do not believe that just because you have Victreebel has Sucker Punch means that it it is always going to KO the opponent's Pokemon, as it lacks STAB, (RC) and one of the most relevant faster Pokemon, Sneasel, actually resists it. This set can be used to bait Pokemon such as Grumpig and Tangela, opening the way for a teammate to sweep. Victreebel appreciates free switch-ins with Volt Switch, U-turn, suicide leads, or by sending it in after one of your other Pokemon has fainted. If you absolutely have to switch it into a Pokemon, make sure that the opposing Pokemon can not harm Victreebel too much, because it does not like taking STAB, and even neutral, resisted hits. Wear the opponent's Pokemon down before you attempt a sweep, because if Victreebel fails to KO it is most likely getting KOed itself. Predict well, because if you do not Victreebel will have taken Life Orb damage for nothing. This set works best early- or mid-game to surprise the walls mentioned above.

Team Options
========
Fighting-types such as Throh and Poliwrath can deal with Ice-type Pokemon, especially Sneasel, which can revenge kill Victreebel with Ice Shard. Fire-types such as Ninetales and Flareon can cover Victreebel's Fire-type weakness, and they can potentially grab a Flash Fire boost too. Rock-type Pokemon such as Carracosta and Golem can deal with Flying-types and Fire-types and set up on them, and Dark-type Pokemon such as Sneasel as well as Steel-type Pokemon such as Metang can switch into Psychic-types. Pokemon that can lay entry hazards such as Piloswine and Golem increase Victreebel's chances of breaking through walls like Pelipper and Gourgeist. U-turn and Volt Switch users such as Scyther and Raichu are nice teammates because they wear down the foe and can give Victreebel free switches, something it greatly appreciates. Although this set does not rely on sun, having a teammate with Sunny Day can still be game-changing. Pokemon that have counters which that Victreebel baits and cripples or defeats, such as Raichu and Aurorus, appreciate this set's ability to lure common answers to the sun sweeper set.

Other Options
########
Giga Drain is a reliable STAB move that works outside of the sun, (RC) and recovers HP too. Leaf Storm could be used for a one-time powerful attack outside of the sun, but it makes Victreebel setup fodder afterwards. Encore can create free turns for teammates to set up. A Substitute + Salac Berry set could be a dangerous sweeper if allowed to set up. Belch is an interesting move that could be used with a Substitute + Salac Berry set, but it is unreliable, for it does not work unless Victreebel has consumed a berry.

Checks & Counters
########

**Paralysis**: Pokemon that can paralyze Victreebel, such as Volbeat, Grumpig, and Arbok, can be considered good checks, as paralysis prevents Victreebel from sweeping by slowing it down, (RC) and thus making it practically useless.

**Faster Pokemon**: Many Pokemon can outspeed Victreebel outside of the sun and easily KO it. Examples of these are Ninetales, Kadabra, Dodrio, and Tauros. It should be noted that a Jolly Tauros equipped with a Choice Scarf is faster than Victreebel even in the sun, (RC) and has a very good chance to KO Victreebel with Double-Edge after one round of Life Orb recoil.

GP 2/2
Implemented. This is now ready to be uploaded.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)