SM Doubles OU Volcarona Streak (26-0)

Introduction

Well, I wanted to challenge myself to a decent winning streak. Why? Because I didn't feel like laddering to 2000s. Nevertheless, 26-0 is a decent record, and achieving it was certainly challenging and quite exciting! The team that made this possible is built around Volcarona, a cute firefly that can wipe out an entire team. Furthermore, the team uses numerous methods of speed control, thus ensuring the team's offensive position with or without Volcarona. And now, without further ado, I present you my 1st RMT of the SM meta-game!

The Team

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Draco Meteor
- Protect
- Tailwind
Mega Salamence is an incredible Pokemon with no equal. This magnificent beast has a great combination of spectacular typing, stats, abilities, and moves. Without a doubt, Salamence-Mega is one of the best Mega Pokemon in the current meta-game. Anyways, this particular one utilizes a "Special" set. Hyper Voice, which is boosted by Aerilate, is a strong spread attack, and Draco Meteor can be used as means to grab quick KOs. But above all, Mega Salamence's access to Tailwind is its main appeal to the team. For example, setting up Tailwind allows Aegislash to outspeed quick Pokemon such as Mega Gengar and Tapu Koko, and continue to be on the offensive throughout the Tailwind. Its ability Intimidate is also a bonus, lowering the power of Physical Moves upon switching in.

Volcarona @ Firium Z
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Quiver Dance
- Protect
- Giga Drain
Volcarona, as mentioned, is the star of this team. It has access to Heat Wave, which is a fantastic spread move, and Quiver Dance, which increases Volcarona's stats in SpA, SpD, and Spe by 1. As long as there are no further "walls" in the opposing team, Volcarona can serve as a late-game sweeper. Its access to Firium Z is also quite useful, too. Inferno Overdrive (the move given through Firium Z) gives a way to bypass Wide Guard and KO bulky Steel-types in general. For coverage, Giga Drain was added, mostly to make my matchup against Gastrodon a bit better and to punish opposing teams for sending out Water-types. In addition, its best ability, Flame Body, brings little impact to a battle, but the occasional burns are still worth it, especially against Pokemon such as (physical) Mega Salamence and Hoopa-Unbound.

Aegislash @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 88 HP / 252 SpA / 168 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield
Aegislash was the next Pokemon of selection. It provides neat support through the move Wide Guard, which protects allies as well as itself from spread moves. By stopping common moves such as Dazzling Gleam and Icy Wind, there is no surprise that Aegislash is a Dragon's best friend. It's support is especially neat when a Scarfed Landorus-T attempts to use Rock Slide against a otherwise safe Volcarona. If Aegislash is not available for Wide Guard support, then it can be used as a pivot, too. Its high chance to KO Mega Metagross and Tapu Lele is particularly resourceful as well. Its EVs are also invested to outspeed Mega Gengar and Tapu Koko in Tailwind. Due to its less than usual HP investment, I decided to give it the item Wiki Berry (Restores 1/2 max HP at 1/4 max HP or less), thus granting it a greater longevity in battle.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
There is no surprise that Landorus-Therian was added to the team as well. Like Aegislash, it improves the team's matchup against Psychic Spam (Tapu Lele + Deoxys-A / Mega Metagross / Hoopa-Unbound). It also gives the team a solid check against Fire-types such as Mega Charizard Y (aka Sun) and Heatran, thus improving Volcarona's chances to sweep a team. Superpower is also the selected coverage move, guaranteeing a KO on Tyranitar (-1), and a decent dent on Hydreigon and Kyurem-Black if needed. U-turn provides a nice momentum, giving Landorus-Therian an opportunity to switch out while providing damage. Other things to note is that Jolly Nature helps Landorus-Therian to outspeed Deoxys-A (and Pheromosa in the ladder).

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Taunt
- Protect

To improve the team's matchup against bulky Water-types, Tapu Koko was added to the team. With the ability Electric Surge, it also summons Electric Terrain, which boosts its Electric-type moves and serves as an occasional Sleep (Hypnosis & Spore) check. Dazzling Gleam puts a decent dent on Bulky Dragon-types and Dark-types. Taunt is also a great move, stopping common Status Moves such as Wide Guard, Follow Me, Trick Room, and Tailwind. It is also tactically useful against Pokemon that may try to setup (Ex. Necrozma) or use Substitute. Tapu Koko also improves my matchup against Charizard-Mega-Y and especially Celesteela. Overall, Tapu Koko is a nice asset to the SM meta-game.

Milotic @ Maranga Berry
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 64 SpD / 88 Spe
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Icy Wind
- Scald
- Protect
At last, a Pokemon that has been here since Hoenn, but never been considered a serious threat until now, Milotic! With most competent teams having Salamence-Mega and/or Landorus-Therian, its ability Competitive is very likely to raise its SpA. Strategically, this deters opponents from sending out Intimidate users or from using the move Icy Wind, and that is why Milotic is such great partner to Volcarona. Icy Wind serves as another means of speed control, most notably helping the team's matchup against Rain. This Milotic also outspeeds Deoxys-Attack under Tailwind, allowing it to use Icy Wind and make Deoxys-Attack's offensive stance to be rather poor. The EVs are also designed to survive a Thunderbolt from an opposing Tapu Koko, leaving the rest to physical bulk. And finally, Maranga Berry (Raises holder's SpD by 1 stage after it is hit by a special attack) is used to boost Milotic's longevity in battle.

Conclusion
This is a team that I will certainly keep throughout the meta-game. Its worst matchup is against a dedicated Trick Room although it does fine against a Semi-TR team. An importable is provided for people who want to try the team out, and I welcome all reasonable criticism. Thanks for reading my RMT, and cheers to another fun year!

Amon (Salamence-Mega) @ Salamencite
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Draco Meteor
- Protect
- Tailwind

Kerrigan (Volcarona) @ Firium Z
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Quiver Dance
- Protect
- Giga Drain

Zerutal (Aegislash) @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 88 HP / 252 SpA / 168 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Raynor (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Rock Slide

Artanis (Tapu Koko) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Taunt
- Protect

Nova (Milotic) @ Maranga Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 64 SpD / 88 Spe
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Icy Wind
- Scald
- Protect

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Level: 50
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Draco Meteor
- Protect
- Tailwind

Volcarona @ Firium Z
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Quiver Dance
- Protect
- Giga Drain

Aegislash @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 92 HP / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Earthquake

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Taunt
- Protect

Milotic @ Maranga Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 124 SpD / 88 Spe
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Icy Wind
- Scald
- Protect

Last edited:
I really like ur team. Since you have only 1 physical attacker I don't think it would hurt to use ddance mence with double edge (double intimidate + wide guard easens setting up). I personally run gastrodon over milotic, because that gives you a better matchup vs rain (kingdra seems dangerous for your team) and also has a better TR matchup. Ofcourse Milotic has a niche in keeping intimidate away from mence which is good too.
I personally wouldn't run flash cannon on aegislash because the only threat you hit is tapu bulu, which is demolished by mence and volcarona pretty hard. Substitute Aegislash could be nice to be able to stall out TR turns better.
Gastrodon makes your tapu koko and tyranitar matchup better too.

Well you made me click on your signature so here I am!

As you have proven yours is a really succesful team. I'm having a hard time finding it anything to criticize. I loved the tailwind on Mence, great idea.
I was going to say that maybe physical attacker aegislash could work here but it can't get the KOs you mentioned and they are really important.
I can't seem to find a solution for your trick room problem. I did a lot of calcs and most setters would survive even if you double attack them, except for Bronzong that dies to knock off + heat wave.

You made a great team with little weaknesses and you covered most really well. 10/10 would click that little volcarona again. (sorry my english)

do you think mew with fake out and (z-)transform + ddance Mence could work? Just like bunnies did in oras?
ps. have you tried gastro already and did you like it and why/why not?

do you think mew with fake out and (z-)transform + ddance Mence could work? Just like bunnies did in oras?
ps. have you tried gastro already and did you like it and why/why not?
Mence + mew has already have been experimented by I don't know, but it was nevertheless bound to be. A serious flaw to the core is getting obliterated by TR teams of current standards. Z-TR Brozong (w/ accuracy-boosted Hypnosis) and Hoopa-U are pretty effective right now. Diancie's Diamond Storm, which is even more broken this Gen, is also a problem. Fake out isn't going to be useful against Psychic Spam either. To be more specific, the core gets wrecked by Tapu Lele + Mega Metagross / Deoxys-a / Hoopa-u. The core also has a poor matchup to Sand (particular Banded Ttar w/ TW support) and Rain. Mega Gengar with Icy Wind or Taunt can easily trap the duo and put them in danger too. I can probably list a bunch more, but of course, you can work around these threats with your other mons and your carefully planned strategies.

The pros of using Gastrodon is the redirection of Water-type moves, and it's beautiful array of moves including Earth Power, Ice Beam / Icy Wind, Scald / Muddy Water, and Recover. The amount of mons that it can take care of is incredible and truly anti-meta. However, it has poorer overall bulk, and it cannot take an advantage of TW due to its even poorer speed. It is not like every team utilizes a Water-type either so that it can boost its SpA. And once again, the current state of Trick Room is so offensive that I see little use of it; Gastrodon loses to all the rising threats including Hoopa-U, Tapu Bulu, Kangaskhan-Mega, etc. Nevertheless, Gastrodon is a good mon, but I won't use it in this team until more players use Azumarill.

Last edited:
I think Gastrodons pro is that it beats Tapu Koko, which threatens Mence and Milotic, has beter phys bulk and could help your own matchups vs milotic as you have 2 intimidaters. Its Ground typing helps vs Diamond Storm (and rock slide), which might come in handy when diancie gets more use with diancite.
Mew indeed offers 0 coverage but mew + azumarill worked decent last gen too. Thing is that you shouldnt see Mence + Mew as a core because Mew doesn't add any coverage. Instead you have to add mew to a core, which it can support in their sweep.
However i don't expect mew to be really great but id like to try it out.

I think Gastrodons pro is that it beats Tapu Koko, which threatens Mence and Milotic, has beter phys bulk and could help your own matchups vs milotic as you have 2 intimidaters. Its Ground typing helps vs Diamond Storm (and rock slide), which might come in handy when diancie gets more use with diancite.
Mew indeed offers 0 coverage but mew + azumarill worked decent last gen too. Thing is that you shouldnt see Mence + Mew as a core because Mew doesn't add any coverage. Instead you have to add mew to a core, which it can support in their sweep.
However i don't expect mew to be really great but id like to try it out.
If you want to talk more about Mew, which got nothing to do with this RMT btw, then feel free to start a private conversation with me. And yes, I'm aware of Gastrodon's advantages and certainly had taken your views into account. I'll look forward to seeing you around. :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)