UU Weezing

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...

Welcome to LA.

Overview
########
  • Its nice type and ability make it a great stop to many physical attackers and some special attackers in the tier.
  • Completely walls popular Fighting types in the tier.
  • Has five resistances, one weakness, and an immunity.
  • Very low Speed stat.
  • An almost unusable Special Defense stat.
  • Immune to all hazards bar Stealth Rocks.
  • Can't absorb Toxic Spikes due to Levitate ability.
  • A very nice support movepool.
  • Lacks reliable recovery.

Defensive Wall
########
name: Defensive Wall
move 1: Will-O-Wisp
move 2: Pain Split
move 3: Sludge Bomb / Fire Blast
move 4: Toxic Spikes / Fire Blast
ability: Levitate
item: Black Sludge
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA

Moves
========
  • Will-O-Wisp burns Physical attackers to really be able to bulk out attacks.
  • If used right, Pain Split can restore a good amount of HP while chipping off some of the opposing pokemon's HP.
  • Sludge Bomb gets STAB and has a nice chance to poison the opposing pokemon.
  • Fire Blast is mainly to hurt Steel type switch ins and it does a lot of damage to most of them.
  • Toxic Spikes provide support for the team and can wear down most grounded pokemon that switch into them. Renders Heal Bell or Aromatherapy support the opposing pokemon might have useless.

Set Details
========
  • Max HP and Defense evs with a Bold nature give it as much Physical bulk as possible and it can take so many hits from so many Physical attackers in the tier.
  • 4 Special Attack evs are put just to deal a little extra damage with Sludge Bomb or Fire Blast.
  • Black Sludge gives Weezing a bit more longevity while also crippling Trick users, but Rocky Helmet can be used to get some more damage off on Physical attackers.
  • Levitate gives it a very nice immunity to Ground type attacks.

Usage Tips
========
  • The biggest reason to use Weezing is to wall Mienshao and Heracross, however, Weezing can take most Physical hits very well, so just send it out against Physical attackers and watch it do its magic. It usually doesn't even fear Banded sets as Choice Banded Flygon Outrage is a 3HKO.
  • Pain Split whenever its HP gets low, but make sure the opposing pokemon's HP is higher than Weezing's HP.
  • Will-O-Wisp whenever Weezing gets the chance.
  • Try to predict Steel type switch ins with Fire Blast or poison opposing pokemon with Sludge Bomb.
  • Don't use Toxic Spikes if your opponent has a grounded Poison type pokemon.

Team Options
========
  • Weezing wants a teammate that can take Special Attacks well.
  • It isn't absolutely necessary, but it welcomes any way to get rid of Stealth Rocks on its side of the field.
  • Weezing appreciates Wish support to keep it going for as long as possible.
  • Set up sweepers and Special walls benefit from Will-O-Wisp support.
  • Pokemon that have trouble with Fighting types benefit from having Weezing on their team.
  • Stall teams and stall pokemon benefit from Toxic Spikes by getting as much residual damage on the opposing pokemon as possible.
  • Weezing likes pokemon that can counter Defoggers and Rapid Spinners.
  • Umbreon is Weezing's best buddy as they cover each others weaknesses perfectly and Umbreon can tank the Special Attacks that Weezing can't.

Other Options
########
  • Explosion to leave with a bang.
  • Memento to give teammates set up opportunities.
  • Haze if opposing pokemon try to set up on Weezing.
  • Clear Smog can also be used for pokemon that set up. It can't be Taunted, but it doesn't affect Steel types and doesn't go through Substitutes.
  • Toxic if you want to stall more.
  • Taunt, but is usually useless considering how slow Weezing is.
  • Chesto Rest for a more reliable way to recover health.
  • A Stockpile set to increase both Defense and Special Defense simultaneously.
  • A Rest Talk set can be used to better deal with offensive Roserade and works well with cleric support.

Checks and Counters
########
  • Psychic types are the simplest answer to Weezing. Even Metagross, a Physical attacker, can deal a good chunk of damage to Weezing before getting burned.
  • Special attackers that are somewhat strong and can at least inflict neutral damage can threaten Weezing due to its pathetic Special Defense stat.
  • Strong Fire types like Darmanitan are immune to Will-O-Wisp and can hit Weezing for very nice damage with its STAB Flare Blitz.
  • Pokemon that can Taunt Weezing make it almost useless and force it to switch out.
  • Popular Defoggers and Spinners can threaten Weezing. Mega Blastoise can spin away Toxic Spikes and deal heavy damage with Water Pulse. Mew can Defog Toxic Spikes away and threaten to OHKO with Psychic.

QC: [Limitless] [Ernesto] [radianthero156]
GP: [TheManlyLadybug] [GatoDelFuego]

This is LA, kids.

Overview
########
Weezing is a defensive behemoth with a great defensive typing that includes five resistances, as well as an immunity to Ground-type moves, Spikes, and Sticky Web thanks to Levitate. It is a great stop to many physical attackers and almost every Fighting-type in the tier, especially Heracross and Mienshao. Furthermore, Weezing has access to a fair support movepool that includes moves such as Pain Split, Will-O-Wisp, Toxic Spikes, and Clear Smog.

Sadly, it isn't all great for Weezing. Weezing has an extremely poor Speed stat, which means that it will be outsped by most opposing Pokemon. Weezing also has an abysmal Special Defense stat, making it easy to force out with strong special attackers. To make matters worse, Weezing has no reliable recovery, making support from other teammates a necessity. Even with all of these downfalls, Weezing is definitely a defensive force to be reckoned with and should be considered when looking for a wall.

Defensive Wall
########
name: Defensive Wall
move 1: Will-O-Wisp
move 2: Pain Split
move 3: Sludge Bomb / Fire Blast
move 4: Toxic Spikes / Fire Blast
ability: Levitate
item: Black Sludge
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA

Moves
========
Due to Weezing's defensive nature, Will-O-Wisp is necessary for dealing residual damage and crippling most physical attackers with a burn. If used right, Pain Split can restore modest amounts of health while chipping away at opposing Pokemon. Sludge Bomb is Weezing's best STAB move and has a helpful 30% chance of poisoning its targets. Fire Blast is a great way to catch Steel-types on the switch-in and also deals a nice chunk of damage to most Pokemon that don't resist it. Toxic Spikes is a great choice for Weezing, as it is usually able to find the time to set them up and is a great way of rendering cleric support useless most of the time.

Set Details
========
Full investment in HP and Defense with a Bold nature maximizes Weezing's bulk and allows it to take a lot of hits from most physical attackers in the tier. The 4 extra EVs are put into Special Attack to dish out more damage with Sludge Bomb and Fire Blast. Black Sludge is the preferred item on Weezing, but with Knock Off spam prevalent in the tier, Rocky Helmet is another viable option to get a bit more damage off before Weezing loses its item.

Usage Tips
========
Even though walling Heracross and Mienshao are the biggest reasons for using Weezing, it still walls a variety of physical attackers, so try to send Weezing out against Pokemon like Flygon and Mega Aggron and watch it do its work. Use Pain Split whenever Weezing's HP gets low. Weezing should use Will-O-Wisp whenever it gets the chance to, but it needs to keep an eye out for Pokemon that benefit from a burn such as Guts Heracross and Flash Fire Houndoom. Try to predict Steel-type switch-ins and nail them with Fire Blast, as it deals a marvelous amount of damage, having a chance of 2HKOing the likes of Metagross and Jirachi after Stealth Rock damage. Sludge Bomb's 30% chance to poison is very useful, especially on Pokemon that are immune to Will-O-Wisp or Fire Blast. If the opponent has a grounded Poison-type, don't bother setting up Toxic Spikes.

Team Options
========
Pokemon that can take special attacks for Weezing are much-appreciated. Wish support can help Weezing last much longer than it would without it and is almost necessary. Florges, Umbreon, and Vaporeon are good examples of Wish passers. Setup sweepers and special walls benefit from having their counters crippled by Will-O-Wisp. Teams that have trouble with Fighting-types can almost always find a spot for Weezing. Stall teams and stall Pokemon in general enjoy Toxic Spikes support in order to get as much residual damage as possible. Pokemon that can counter Rapid Spin users and Defog users such as Sableye and Milotic fit with Weezing well as they discourage them from getting rid of Weezing's Toxic Spikes. Umbreon and Weezing make a wonderful defensive core as they cover each others' weaknesses perfectly. Umbreon can tank the special attacks that Weezing can't while providing the Wish support that Weezing needs.

Other Options
########
Weezing has some nice options like Explosion to hurt special walls that would come in on it, but sacrificing your wall to get damage off on a Pokemon usually isn't the best choice. Weezing has a very diverse supportive movepool that can be utilized well. Memento can provide a teammate with a setup opportunity, but losing your wall is not always beneficial and is quite a risky option. Haze can be used on Pokemon that might try to set up on Weezing after getting burned. Clear Smog works just like Haze except that it can't be Taunted. However, it doesn't affect Steel-types and doesn't hit through Substitutes. Toxic and Protect can be used to Toxic stall opposing Pokemon, but is generally outclassed and Weezing lacks reliable recovery, which is needed to use this strategy well. Taunt is a decent option on Weezing, but considering how slow it is, it usually won't be able to use Taunt effectively. A ChestoRest set can be used instead of Pain Split, but Weezing loses out on much-needed Black Sludge recovery and inevitably loses in long turn battles. A Stockpile set is an interesting option, but is mediocre at best due to its lack of reliable recovery. A RestTalk set is a decent option on Weezing as it allows it to deal with offensive Roserade and works well with cleric support.

Checks and Counters
########
**Psychic-types**: Weezing's only weakness is to Psychic-type moves, so most Psychic-type Pokemon can severely dent or outright OHKO Weezing. Azelf, Jirachi, and Metagross can launch powerful STAB Psychic-type moves and can take a Fire Blast or two.

**Special Attackers**: Due to Weezing's almost non-existent Special Defense stat, most special attackers can dish out huge amounts of damage on it and easily force Weezing out. Examples include Chandelure, Nidoking, Porygon-Z, and Empoleon.

**Powerful Wallbreakers**: Even with Weezing's defensive capabilities, extremely strong wallbreakers such as Life Orb Darmanitan and Choice Band Victini can break through Weezing's defenses with their strong STAB moves.

**Taunt Users**: Pokemon with Taunt can render Weezing useless and force it to switch out. Mega Aerodactyl, Azelf, and Crobat can easily do this with nothing to fear.

**Spinners and Defog Users**: Popular spinners and Defog users can easily threaten Weezing by removing Toxic Spikes and hitting back hard. Mega Blastoise can spin away Toxic Spikes and proceed to hit Weezing with a powerful Water Pulse. Mew can remove Toxic Spikes with Defog and threaten to OHKO Weezing with a super effective STAB move.

Last edited:
Lack of reliable recovery should probably get an overview mention. Wish support in teammates although it is already done by umbreon.
Taunters in C&C.

Toxic Spikes definitely deserves a slash in the fourth slot, while Defog and Rapid Spin are quite common, it's still a decently effective hazard that Weezing can lay down quite easily. Should probably replace Memento for it, since you usually don't want to be using Memento on a Pokemon you WANT to keep alive (aka a wall such as Weezing).

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
Toxic Spikes definitely deserves a slash in the fourth slot, while Defog and Rapid Spin are quite common, it's still a decently effective hazard that Weezing can lay down quite easily. Should probably replace Memento for it, since you usually don't want to be using Memento on a Pokemon you WANT to keep alive (aka a wall such as Weezing).
Memento is basically for use after the Physical attackers are gone. I talked about Toxic Spikes on irc and we weren't too sure about it. I'd like QC opinion on that first.

-Rocky Helmet could possibly get a slash since with all the Knock Off spam, being able to get off some damage on Physical Attacker is better than just losing lefties.
-Mention in team options that mons that benefit from a) t spike support b) wisp support c) fighters not being too problematic all enjoy the company of Weezing on their team
-Not to sure about the 4th slot, i'd honestly use Weezing with Sludge and Fire Blast but i'm not too sure
-you wrote 'can hit koffing' in C&C, this isn't little cup chief

I'll do more of a check at a later date but that's just some things i noticed from a quick glance.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
I'll chat on irc and ask what people think about the fourth slot. I've applied the changes aside from mentioning Toxic Spikes support in team options. I plan to discuss that on irc as well.

Limitless

Success is the best revenge.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Toxic Spikes should be the main 4th slot slash. Haze and Memento shouldn't even be slashed in. Mention them both in OO. Are we forgetting the main point of a wall folks? Why would you suicide your wall? And haze? You have WoW for physical attackers. I didn't know you were staying in on special attackers that were setting up.

Also, if you didn't already, add that the main point of adding Weezing is to wall Heracross and Mienshao.

Limitless

Success is the best revenge.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just call it a physical wall or something. And then slash Fire Blast after Toxic Spikes (in addition to after Sludge Bomb). So if the team doesn't need Toxic Spikes, they can still add more coverage.

QC 1/3

You should add to Haze that it lets you check physical attackers that try to boost behind Substitute (dunno if there are any relevant, but still). Also Clear Smog could be added to OO, basically an un-tauntable Haze, and you get STAB, which is nice.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
You should add to Haze that it lets you check physical attackers that try to boost behind Substitute (dunno if there are any relevant, but still). Also Clear Smog could be added to OO, basically an un-tauntable Haze, and you get STAB, which is nice.
Both of those are under moves.

Imo OO mention a RestTalk set to better deal with Offensive Rose while still checking Fighting-types (a la DPP UU), since Weezing pairs up nicely with clerics.

Also I'm not sure about the specific mention of Victini since V-create does more than Zen Headbutt anyway—unless you meant special Tini of course, but that would fit in other categories so it can be confusing.

Other than that, I'd say you have everything covered.

Edit: Cool HypnoEmpire

Ctrl+F Clear Smog = 2 hits (my post, your quote)

Clear Smog isn't mentioned, and I meant that you could add that info to Haze, which indeed is in OO.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
Ctrl+F Clear Smog = 2 hits (my post, your quote)

Clear Smog isn't mentioned, and I meant that you could add that info to Haze, which indeed is in OO.
My bad, I thought I added both. Anyway, Clear Smog seems like a mediocre Haze tbh. Its only advantage is that it can be used after being Taunted, but Weezing shouldn't be staying in when Taunted anyway. It doesn't effect Steel types and it doesn't go through substitute. I'm sorry, but unless there's another good reason to use Clear Smog I won't be adding it.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
My bad, I thought I added both. Anyway, Clear Smog seems like a mediocre Haze tbh. Its only advantage is that it can be used after being Taunted, but Weezing shouldn't be staying in when Taunted anyway. It doesn't effect Steel types and it doesn't go through substitute. I'm sorry, but unless there's another good reason to use Clear Smog I won't be adding it.
Actually, both moves are about even as Clear Smog does damage, can't be taunted,letting you use it on the turn you get taunted/after you get taunted which is helpful against Pokemon like Mega Aerodacctyl will often Taunt and then start setting up. Both are only OO worthy for UU, but I thought I'd point that out.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
Actually, both moves are about even as Clear Smog does damage, can't be taunted,letting you use it on the turn you get taunted/after you get taunted which is helpful against Pokemon like Mega Aerodacctyl will often Taunt and then start setting up. Both are only OO worthy for UU, but I thought I'd point that out.
Clear Smog does so little that it will rarely break substitutes or do good damage against anything and it doesn't affect Steel types. Haze will always work unless Taunted. Haze is barely in OO, so I won't be mentioning Clear Smog.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)