What is the most obscure/hard-to-obtain Pokemon you've ever owned?

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Disclaimer before I start: this thread is not intended as a place to brag, argue, or ask for people to trade with you.

We've all got a Mew. You ain't special. But do you have one that knows Fake Out and Role Play?

Over the years there've been all sorts of event distributions for Pokemon, often with otherwise-unobtainable moves. Some, like the legendary Dragon Rage Magikarp, have even been limited, meaning that only a fixed number of players were ever able to obtain them. Equally, for varying reasons certain Pokemon are extremely difficult to obtain in their shiny form, or with certain abilities. But if you've played the series for a long time and still have most of your collection from years ago, you might have an obscure event Pokemon that was only ever given out once.

Having collected the vast majority of games in the main series, I've got a fairly large collection of Pokemon to my name. Over the years I've managed to lay hands on a few extremely hard-to-find individuals, so I'll kick this off. Others may occur in due course but, off the top of my head, some of the hardest-to-find Pokemon I own are as follows:

• I have several Burmy with Overcoat (the species' Hidden Ability), one of which is even shiny. Why is this so special? Well, Hidden Ability Burmy was only ever obtainable via the Dream World. Once that shut down, it was no longer available - so only people who had managed to find one (or had traded with someone who did) were able to gain access to it. A lot of Pokemon were subsequently made available with their Hidden Abilities in later games, but for whatever reason, Burmy was left out. It cannot be caught with its HA in Gen VI and it is completely unobtainable in Gen VII and VIII. Therefore, finding a Burmy, Mothim, or Wormadam with its Hidden Ability at the time of writing is fairly difficult. Maybe BDSP will make them available!

• I also have an Exeggcute I've never used which was hatched in Fire Red and knows Wish. Why is this so special? It was from a distribution event which lasted less than a month but gave out eggs containing one of six Gen I species that could know Wish, which they otherwise couldn't know. Wish Chansey is fairly notable in competitive circles but Farfetch'd, Kangaskhan, Lickitung, Drowzee, and Exeggcute could also be obtained with the move.

• Lastly, I have a shiny Manaphy. Again, why is this so special? Well, while Manaphy has had several distributions, none have been shiny, meaning that it's technically shiny-locked like a lot of mythicals. However, trading a Manaphy Egg in Gen IV to another game can result in it hatching as a shiny. This is so far the only way to get one (again, unless BDSP makes it available).

What are the most obscure Pokemon in your collection?

Probably a GMax Melmetal. Why is this so special? It really isn't, I just don't have anything too interesting since I only started in March of this year

The other contender is a Magmortar I was traded whose nickname is "FARTING" with a bunch of dots after that

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Does a Pokémon that I have photographical evidence of but doesn't actually exist count as "obscure" or "hard to obtain"? Because boy, do I have a story for you guys.

I've touched on this in other threads in the recent past, but for all intents and purposes this is, without question, the strangest Pokémon I have ever obtained. I think it's best if I just show you the original picture and then provide the explanation, or at least try to do.

CF647928-23AF-494E-B5F4-B0FF9A07B04F.jpeg

What the heck happened to the size of this file, that wasn't supposed to happen

Picture yourself in this situation. The date is July 26th, 2020, and it's 4:10 AM in the morning. You're definitely still fast asleep, just like any other summer night. That following morning, you're scrolling through your photo gallery app on your phone when to your surprise, the first thing that shows up is a screenshot of someone's bred Shiny Oshawott from Pokémon Sun & Moon. (This could technically be from the Ultra games as well, but I figure this is more likely to be from the original games due to the final evolution Samurott's availability as a Poké Finder encounter.)

For years now, I've always been the kind of person who has had a fascination with the unknown, more mysterious things in life, so this immediately caught my eye. Upon further inspection of the picture, I noticed that this had to have been taken raw from someone's 3DS screen as opposed to a screenshot, capture card, etc., either on my own or sent to me over text. But as I said, I was still asleep at the time this picture was saved. I checked my own 3DS save files to see if there was something waiting for me. Nothing. I asked any of my friends if they understood this. Nothing.

The only answer I've ever been able to gather was some other user in those threads I mentioned saying something along the lines of "You know what to do, right? The Oshawott calls, my friend." It's been over a year since this picture came to be, and one day I plan on getting this for real. But... I dunno. I just wanted your guys' opinions, really.

Great Idea! I have bad Pokemon-collection addiction and plenty of tales, but I'm going to narrow it down to just one: my Infernape, Zuihou.

Infernape was my first starter (I started playing in Gen 4) so I've always been fond of them. But, while physical Infernape is not hard to build, special Infernape is more difficult for one reason: Vacuum Wave.

Vacuum Wave is basically Mach Punch for SpAtk. It often gets overlooked, beacuse there aren't many SpAtk Fighting-type Pokemon. Infernape is an outlier however (can easily run Atk, SpAtk, or Mixed). More importantly though, Infernape can also get Vacuum Wave.

But only in Gen 4.

Unfortunately, Vacuum Wave was only ever available as a Move Tutor move in PtHGSS (Will BDSP bring it back? Idk). So in order to build a SpAtk Infernape with it, it must be from Gen 4. Which is not too difficult if you can do Egg RNG.

But I was/am a major potato.

In my extreme brilliance, I decided it was a good idea to mass-breed Chimchar in order to get a perfect Infernape since I had no idea how to RNG Abuse. Anyone has tried breeding in Gen 4 will know my pain: only 3 IVs will be inherited, Nature only has a chance to be inherited, etc. The IV checker doesn't even work very well. Luckily no HA to deal with, but needless to say it's not fun.

In 2016, I spent ~6 months breeding nothing but Chimchar. Over 2k eggs hatched, to no avail. Then, out of the fog, a savior appears: A near-flawless Chimchar. 31 IVs in HP, Atk, Def, and Spd, with 30's in SpAtk and SpDef - and with the right nature. My beautiful baby girl had finally been blessed by RNGesus and been born.

But little did I know it would only get worse.

Now, I could have just flung her butt into the future, but then she'd permanently miss out on stuff in older Gens - namely all the ribbons. So my next task was to get all the ribbons. Some were easier - beating the E4, detonating Red to death with my Voltorb (don't ask), contests were grindy but doable.

Not so easy with the Battle Tower.

Now, I'd done Battle Tower stuff in Gen 6 (and now 7), but that was with all my perfect mons and good synergy. In Gen 4, my best strategy was to detonate my Voltorb to victory (don't ask again). But anyone who's tried knows that won't work in the BT. You need skill, work, and RNG to make it through, and I had none of those.

4 years.

That's how long it took. Some of that was just me giving up, other times it was constant failure. I had to build all my tools from the ground up, and pray daily to RNGesus to save me. Not to mention that the servers were offline, so I had to use the PokeClassic Network to get the World Ability Ribbon (side note, GF please stop with WiFi only ribbons, no one likes them). This one was truly the hardest, since every other mon is hacked to hell and back (No Guard 0HKO Pokemon, Wonder Guard Spirtomb, every Legendary under the sun).

But I did it.

Gen 6 and then 7 (as Gen 7 had come out since I'd started the project) was a breeze in terms of ribbons. I had more tools to work with. But I was done (Infernape got Dexited lol, F me right). She's a technical ribbon master - has all the ribbons she can possibly obtain. It took 5 years to get her done, but the end result is perfect - at least for me. She could finally rest, with nothing to worry about.

TLDR; I have a Near-Perfect Gen 4, SpAtk + Vacuum Wave Infernape bred through Standard Breeding who is a ribbon master, which took 5 years to finish.

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
Great Idea! I have bad Pokemon-collection addiction and plenty of tales, but I'm going to narrow it down to just one: my Infernape, Zuihou.

Infernape was my first starter (I started playing in Gen 4) so I've always been fond of them. But, while physical Infernape is not hard to build, special Infernape is more difficult for one reason: Vacuum Wave.

Vacuum Wave is basically Mach Punch for SpAtk. It often gets overlooked, beacuse there aren't many SpAtk Fighting-type Pokemon. Infernape is an outlier however (can easily run Atk, SpAtk, or Mixed). More importantly though, Infernape can also get Vacuum Wave.

But only in Gen 4.

Unfortunately, Vacuum Wave was only ever available as a Move Tutor move in PtHGSS (Will BDSP bring it back? Idk). So in order to build a SpAtk Infernape with it, it must be from Gen 4. Which is not too difficult if you can do Egg RNG.

But I was/am a major potato.

In my extreme brilliance, I decided it was a good idea to mass-breed Chimchar in order to get a perfect Infernape since I had no idea how to RNG Abuse. Anyone has tried breeding in Gen 4 will know my pain: only 3 IVs will be inherited, Nature only has a chance to be inherited, etc. The IV checker doesn't even work very well. Luckily no HA to deal with, but needless to say it's not fun.

In 2016, I spent ~6 months breeding nothing but Chimchar. Over 2k eggs hatched, to no avail. Then, out of the fog, a savior appears: A near-flawless Chimchar. 31 IVs in HP, Atk, Def, and Spd, with 30's in SpAtk and SpDef - and with the right nature. My beautiful baby girl had finally been blessed by RNGesus and been born.

But little did I know it would only get worse.

Now, I could have just flung her butt into the future, but then she'd permanently miss out on stuff in older Gens - namely all the ribbons. So my next task was to get all the ribbons. Some were easier - beating the E4, detonating Red to death with my Voltorb (don't ask), contests were grindy but doable.

Not so easy with the Battle Tower.

Now, I'd done Battle Tower stuff in Gen 6 (and now 7), but that was with all my perfect mons and good synergy. In Gen 4, my best strategy was to detonate my Voltorb to victory (don't ask again). But anyone who's tried knows that won't work in the BT. You need skill, work, and RNG to make it through, and I had none of those.

4 years.

That's how long it took. Some of that was just me giving up, other times it was constant failure. I had to build all my tools from the ground up, and pray daily to RNGesus to save me. Not to mention that the servers were offline, so I had to use the PokeClassic Network to get the World Ability Ribbon (side note, GF please stop with WiFi only ribbons, no one likes them). This one was truly the hardest, since every other mon is hacked to hell and back (No Guard 0HKO Pokemon, Wonder Guard Spirtomb, every Legendary under the sun).

But I did it.

Gen 6 and then 7 (as Gen 7 had come out since I'd started the project) was a breeze in terms of ribbons. I had more tools to work with. But I was done (Infernape got Dexited lol, F me right). She's a technical ribbon master - has all the ribbons she can possibly obtain. It took 5 years to get her done, but the end result is perfect - at least for me. She could finally rest, with nothing to worry about.

TLDR; I have a Near-Perfect Gen 4, SpAtk + Vacuum Wave Infernape bred through Standard Breeding who is a ribbon master, which took 5 years to finish.
Holy crap... this is flat out dedication if I've ever seen it. Words cannot explain how proud I am of you for pulling this off. I wish I had the patience to do something like this.

I really like this idea, and I have to admit that I do not have any cool event pokemon like OP. However, I do have a few up my sleeve that are a bit rare.

The first one being a full odds gen 3 safari zone shiny. I was playing a gen 3 mono Poison playthrough of FireRed and I was looking for Venonat in Zone 1. I found caught one and still had 20+ safari balls left, so I kept encountering pokemon until I encountered this beauty.

1637180159156.png

I was dumfounded and terrified. I found it as a Venonat, and Venonat are easy to catch, but there was a chance that it could run away. I threw the first ball and it shook twice and broke out! I yelled in frustration in a hotel lobby (where I was at the time), and would have been embarrassed if I wasn't so focused.

Luckily the Venonat was only watching carefully, I threw another Safari Ball and caught it. By far my favorite Shiny, which I am trying to get some cool ribbons on now (not doing all the ribbons because I don't have the gamecube games).

Second one that comes to mind is another Safari pokemon in gen 4. Anyone remember the HG/SS safari zone? Well I found the hardest pokemon to catch in it.

1637180839811.png

A catch rate of 3, the safari ball is the equivalent of a great ball, and it can run away (not as bad as gen 3).

I threw 433 safari balls at these things, 22 at one individual Metang (which I did not catch by the way). By far the hardest pokemon that I have ever tried to catch with approximately a 0.4-0.5% chance per ball.

10/10 would not recommend.

I love unique pokemon and I look forward to seeing what you guys share!

Japanese Emerald shiny Mew. Got it in a trade in very early gen Gen IV(as in, before Platinum was even announced), well before we knew how complex the data structures of Pokemon in Gen III onwards, and thus making it near impossible to fake one that didn't get flagged in modern hack checks. Well, I got it checked using modern hack checks, and it passes completely. It was touched, being around level 65 or so, had a bad nature and IVs, and was taught various TMs/Tutors (Luckily one was Soft-boiled), but the fact I got it was good enough for me.

In terms of Pokemon I obtained outside of trades, I went to the Pokemon Across America event in person during the 10th anniversary of the series. Got the only Celebi event available for the North American Gen III games and a bunch of other stuff, too, since you got a Celebi and 4-5 other Pokemon of your choice from a preset list of popular and rare Pokemon

Bull Of Heaven

99 Pounders / 4'3" Feet
is a Pre-Contributor
When I first went away to university, I left my Pokemon games back home. My brother took my copy of Soul Silver to, I don't know, wherever the distribution was happening, and got me the Nasty Plot Celebi from back then. Didn't even tell me about it until the next time I was home. I played through the Giovanni battle event and I still have that Celebi somewhere now.

Years later, I walked all over the city to find an EB Games that was doing the shiny Poipole distribution. So that one might not be super obscure, but it took me some work to get it.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I was hoping my Alolan Raichu would be impressive, but I feel like I've already been blown out of the water. At least it's obscure. I'd say it's unique because no one in their right mind would want to use one with this moveset, but it was cloned be they guy that helped me get it, so I can't say it's unique.

:Raichu-Alola: :Leppa Berry:
Alolan Raichu @ Leppa Berry
Surge Surfer
Bold 252 HP/204 Def/12 SpD/40 Spe
- Defense Curl
- Charge
- Rest
- Recycle

I know it looks like a joke, but I'm serious with this moveset. I used it for Restricted Sparring with the plan of boosting to +6 Defenses, enduring everything until Struggle with Rest, and using a Leppa Berry and Recycle to recover PP and Alolan Raichu is the only Electric type that can boost both Defenses and learn Recycle. (Speaking of Restricted Sparring, you should check out the tread for it. Anything streak over 10 is something to be proud of, but there's streaks of over 100 in every type!)

Defense Curl is a Gen 2 TM and Emerald Move Tutor. It's in a Safari Ball and Pokeballs weren't passed down through breeding until Gen 6, so that shows it was caught in RSE. It's possible for Alolan Raichu to know that move because any Pikachu evolved in Gen 7 evolves into Alolan Raichu, (unless they're evolved in Ultra Space) no matter what game they came from. Recycle is a Gen 7 Tutor, but you don't have to go that far out of your way for it if you're already evolving it into Alolan Raichu. Also, Charge is an Egg move but they can be shared by Pokemon of the same species in Gen 8. Calm Mind would've been easier, but Charge adds even more style and I didn't want the SpA boosts.

TL;DR It's a Gen 7 form with a Gen 2 and 3 exclusive move, it has an Egg move even though its Pokeball shows that it wasn't breed, and it has a terrible gimmick moveset that I unironically used to some success.

I wish I could say I'd gotten this Raichu myself, but I'd forgotten about Defense Curl Pikachu until after I had help transferring Pokemon from Gens 3-5 to Gen 7, so I'm not even the one that caught or evolved it. WMAR offered to get me a Defense Curl Alolan Raichu because they wanted to have an interesting novelty. Their Emerald is Japanese, (I'm guessing they got the Japanese version because they came out before the international versions until XY started global releases.) so that makes it even more interesting from the standpoint of someone that doesn't have any Japanese games. I forgot to ask for a Pikachu with a 0 Atk IV, (I wanted that because of confusion and Foul Play) but it still had a 0 IV... in SpA... Honestly, I can't complain much. Anyone in their right mind would say this Raichu sucks and having 0 SpA instead of Atk makes it suck at sucking because it sucks in the wrong way.

I think my least unique Pokemon is an untouched Shiny Zacain from the event going on. Every Zacain from it has the same OT, Nature, IVs, Moveset, and even held item. I wouldn't be surprised if they were literally identical down to the hidden details.

I realize this doesn’t hold a candle to half this thread, but this is something I’m proud of nonetheless: my Heracross in Diamond
:dp/heracross:
I do have a bit of a story about this as well; at the time I caught it, It was the first few days after my wisdom tooth surgery, where I was basically bedridden, and had nothing better to do than play my DS. At that point I’d just gotten to Floraroma Town, and I decided to mess around with the Honey Trees. Imagine my surprise when one of them (IDR which one, but it was one of the first three encountered) turned up a Heracross aka the hardest Honey Pokémon to get (that isn’t tied to specific trees that is). Even better, once I finally caught it, what Nature would it happen to have but Jolly. There was no way in hell I was passing this up, and so said Heracross became a valued member of my in-game team.

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
There’s actually a second Pokémon I’d like to mention that sort of but also kind of doesn’t fit into this thread, and that’s my original Swampert set. (Edit: My apologies if this is breaking any posting rules.)

:sm/swampert:

Name: Swampert
Ability: Drizzle
Item: Swampertite
Moves: Waterfall, Earthquake, Ice Punch, and whatever you want for the fourth
EVS: 252+ Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP

At first glance this just looks like your everyday, run of the mill Swampert, but... did you catch that? That’s right, my Swampert actually has the Drizzle ability to set up its own rain in battle. How do you get a Drizzle Swampert? The answer is... you don’t. It’s obviously not a thing, and for darn good reason at that. This set is purely meant to be used in either A. the Gen 7 version of Balanced Hackmons, or B. a single player only copy of said games you don’t plan on using for online gameplay. The reason Gen 7 is required for this is because Sun & Moon introduced a mechanic change to Mega Evolutions regarding the Speed stat.

You can probably figure out what I was planning by this point. My whole strategy is to take advantage of the fact that Swampert here is the only Pokémon with a Mega Evolution that has one of the Speed boosting weather Abilities. I’ve used this thing before on low ladder and it makes for one heck of a win condition that is absolutely worth considering for any game modders out there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)