What should the next Pokémon region be based on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Title should be self explanatory.

We all have ideas on what country the next pokémon game should base its region on. Currently, we only explored the us and two countries from europe, so there's a lot of potential to dig up. What do you think could be some cool picks for gen 9's region?

Along with main question, I'm also interessed in why you want that country represented in pokémon. Is it the pokémon design potential? The culture? The geography? Just bias (its ok i have that too lmao)?
Overall I just think it is a very interessing discussion, and I'd love to have it more in depth than just "oh a region based on spain would be cool" and ending there.

Greece, because of all the myths you hear and because they influenced England, but especially France, quite a lot. I'd love to see how GF would interpret the mythical creatures and stories and how they would connect them with Galar or Kalos.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Is this not classed as wishlisting?

Anyway - if not, I have a couple of ideas. The pattern so far has been Europe->USA>Europe>USA so if that continues (not that there's any reason it should, but if) I would pick Alaska, or more ideally Vancouver Island in Canada (possibly incorporating Vancouver city or Seattle and the surrounding areas also).

I visited Vancouver Island last year and it's one of the most beautiful areas I've been to, with very diverse geography - beaches, mountains, forests, plains, lakes, and wetlands (I'm sure one of the mountainous areas could be reworked into a volcano) and of course, several big towns and cities. It wasn't snowing when I was there but I'm assured it gets very cold in winter. It's the perfect area for a vast, sprawling region. I did a couple of boat tours which would be a fun way to traverse different areas and either Vancouver city or Seattle would be the perfect setting for a big metropolis in the vein of Castelia/Lumiose.

Canada has all kinds of links to the UK and France, which gives an in for all kinds of connections to Galar and Kalos as well as Alola and Unova. They have a great culture with plenty of iconic and interesting features, not to mention all sorts of animals and character archetypes ripe for turning into Pokemon- maple trees, moose, raccoons, black bears, puffins, beluga whales. If the Grass-type Gym Leader isn't a lumberjack it'll be a crime against humanity. And they have all sorts of legends - imagine a Wendigo legendary!

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Africa could be a pretty unconventional choice with lots of potential, namely in regards to exploration and Pokemon design inspiration. That said it's a massive continent so one unified Africa region would probably be spreading things too thin, dunno what region of Africa I'd pick specifically as a foundation but somewhere around the Sahara makes sense to me

A region based on a specific area of China could also be rad as hell for similar reasons, they got a metric shitton of neat history and lore that could translate to design potential. It's a crying shame that going this route would likely net GF a lot of unfair backlash in light of current events but that's neither here or there. Also Drampa is based on traditional chinese dragons so he'd likely appear, just acknowledging the personal bias

Last edited:
I think it'll be a good idea to make a region based on an "extinct" country such as USSR or Nazi Germany just for making more elaborate scenarios (don't think I want any Nazi or Stalin-based Pokemon).

Hereafter, Greece, for its mythology or Australia for its wildlife and its flora would make interesting regions.

The San Francisco Bay Area. Aside from the fact that I live there, I think it has the right geography to make an amazing region, whether they decide to go for linear progression (gen 5 onwards) or have lots of backtracking and compact design (like gen 1-4). The numerous bridges that cross the bay would make backtracking long distances less painful, and the headlands north of the Golden Gate bridge would make a solid setting for Victory Road / Postgame. The huge bay allows for water routes as shortcuts / side areas. There's a few spots for legendaries like Alcatraz and Treasure Island. The main challenge would be figuring out what new Pokemon to make for the region.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Africa could be a pretty unconventional choice with lots of potential, namely in regards to exploration and Pokemon design inspiration. That said it's a massive country so one unified Africa region would probably be spreading things too thin, dunno what region of Africa I'd pick specifically as a foundation but somewhere around the Sahara makes sense to me
Africa is... not a country.

Guess i'll throw my biases as a brazilian person and say that pokemon should come to brazil one day

We have a lot of diverse biomes, some exclusive to the country (caatinga, cerrado, pantanal, mata dos cocais, manguezais etc) in the way they appear. There is so much culture to explore, each state has something different about it. Not even going to talk abt the fauna/flora and mythos to make actual pokemon designs of. You could make enough fish pokemon to sustain the whole series with how many of these dudes we have here.

Another thing we do have over any other country is that brazil is not only one of the big japanese tourist hotspots, but we also have the biggest japanese population outside japan (including me! hi!). The southeast has entire areas of japanese influence, but almost every state has one or two japanese neighboorhoods, even if small and not popular

Also we have the obligatory "end game very small ice section" in the south states so LOL.

Guess i'll throw my biases as a brazilian person and say that pokemon should come to brazil one day
I was about to post Brazil.

I ain't even going to pretend it's nothing but wanting that home-court advantage and bias. Brazil would totally make for an awesome region tho.

Might be biased, but south america. There's a lot of potential in some New World species that are still unexplored in the series, even quite famous ones like condors, iguanas or anacondas.

I would bias even further with Argentina thanks to the massive diversity in biomes. You can pretty much include every typical Pokémon area in it without looking farfetched. The tropical north-east, the somewhat desertic center, the montainous west, the icy south. Then you could make a story from the intense animosity between the capital and... pretty much everyone else.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
I have wanted both Brazil and Egypt for a long time.

Brazil and the Amazon have unmatched biodiversity and I think the Pokemon from said region could be really awesome, as well as a rainforest being really cool to explore. The north side of Hoenn around Fortree and Lilycove is one of my favorite parts of any region.

Egypt has super awesome mythology, and the Nile provides a cool path to follow. Sea routes might be a problem.

There are a ton of awesome places though. Parts of India/Pakistan, Arizona and the USA's red rock country (preferably incorporating NA mythology), Greece again, my attic, The Galapagos (although that's probably too similar to Alola), the Philippines, various parts of the Himalayas, etc. I hope they branch out a bit, although I did like Alola (unlike a lot of people I think).

EDIT: Yo Madagascar would be lit

Last edited:
New Zealand is a good option if you’re looking to pack most of the standard biomes and geographical features into a relatively small area (snowy mountains, warm beaches, forests, bush, volcanic areas, urban areas, islands, plains, caves, lakes, rivers, etc).

As far as countries go, it’s also got some of the weirdest native flora and fauna in the world, as well as a rich and underexplored indigenous culture.

Last edited:
The San Francisco Bay Area. Aside from the fact that I live there, I think it has the right geography to make an amazing region, whether they decide to go for linear progression (gen 5 onwards) or have lots of backtracking and compact design (like gen 1-4). The numerous bridges that cross the bay would make backtracking long distances less painful, and the headlands north of the Golden Gate bridge would make a solid setting for Victory Road / Postgame. The huge bay allows for water routes as shortcuts / side areas. There's a few spots for legendaries like Alcatraz and Treasure Island. The main challenge would be figuring out what new Pokemon to make for the region.
This might be an unpopular opinion, but I always thought it was a missed opportunity that the Bay Area wasn’t the region that Unova was based on. I lived here my whole life and we have a ton of Asians consisting of Indian, Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese etc. I just feel that things like Japanese Oni would make more sense in California than New York.

California in general has a lot of biomes for exploring, like the oceans, Deserts, Snowy Mountains, Rainforests, and Chapparals. In fact, California is the only state in the US that has Chaparals at all. It sounds like a very promising region to explore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)