What you thought vs. What you now know.

itt we dicuss what pokemon seemed to be at first glance versus what they really were. Pokemon from any generation are applicable here

For example:

Wailord

What i thought: I thought it would be a water type backwards snorlax. massive HP, good defense and high special attack, but shit for speed.

What it was: A big fat failure at anything but being an hp monster. Not even a good UU.

Staraptor

What i thought: Another useless bird you'll find in the first area that you take along so you can use FLY but ditch it when you find a good flyer like aerodactyl.

What it was: An actually somewhat usable attacker with high speed and intimidate. Why didnt pidgeot get that kind of love?

CS Garchomp. (or shouldn't I list a set?)

What I thought: I thought the set would miss the 'real' power. Plus, locking yourself into Outrage seemed like a bad idea.

What it was: Holy crap it's awesome!

This is going to turn out to be another "Pokemon you didn't give enough credit" type thread, i'm almost positive...

The attacking Spiritomb in our Analysis.

I thought that despite its weakness to nothing, it was going to be too fragile and too slow to put enough of a dent in anything. (I used it in my first team as a test.)

I now see that it can easily take out 1 or 2 Pokemon, if not a whole team. (I've swept whole teams with it!)

EDIT: Yeah, this is gonna be another Pokemon you Didn't Give Credit thread, isn't it? Might as well close it, then, or something like that--if you care.

Alakazam

What i thought: I thought that alakazam would have good defense and special defense since he just stands there.

What it was: Its actually flip flopped excellent speed and special attack but horrible defense and special defense.

Dont you mean what it "is" not what it "was".

Banette

What i thought: completely nerfed this generation to the point that it would even be unusable in UU.

What I found: it's actually very useable in UU, it just requires a little more thought than previously.

Nastyplot Porygon-Z

What I thought: I thought Porygon-Z would be an awesome special sweeper with triatk/boltbeam/nastyplot.

What I now know: Porygon-Z is too slow to sweep. So now I give it a CS

My old thoughts on Walrein. A Hail-team gimmick set with infinite Subsitute / Protect combo that will manage to piss off opponents but not manage a win.

Now that I've tried out this "gimmick" and ran a boatload of calculations... I realize that it is a hail-team defensive monster with infinite sub/protect combo that manages to piss off opponents and out-stall them with help of toxic spikes, and can tango with the likes of Metagross 1v1 outside the hail even if it is using thunderpunch and so forth (on the surf set anyway)

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What I thought: Cloyster is a bad Pokemon.
What I now know: Cloyster is a bad Pokemon (thanks chaos).

What I thought;
"lolol wat is a cacturne sounds liek fish 2 me"

What I now know;
"Why is Swords Dance + Sucker Punch + Evasion hax such an awesome combination?"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)