Project What's His Last? v5 (Week 13: Manectric Offense)

Infernal

Banned deucer.

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pickpocket
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick

I used a very similar team to HHM's in this replay, and my final member was Weav. I think Weav fits on HHM's build for similar reasons as mine, so here we go. HHM's team is really slow, with threats like Torn-T posing issues as a result. Latios is another threatening Pokemon for HHM's team in my opinion. Jira is slower and takes a big chunk from DM (40.4 - 48%), so it's unable to handle Latios consistently enough. Every other member bar Keld and Latios is slower. Keld can't really harm Latios much though and the latter needs a tie to win, so this doesn't change much. Weav helps with these issues by being able to pressure Torn-T and Latios nicely. Helps with other problematic threats like Serp too. Weav also does a nice job pressuring Pokemon like Lando-T and Hippo, which Char-X loves. Another large contribution by Weav is its ability to pressure CM Slowbro, who honestly looks really annoying for this team to break regardless of Latios and Jirachi packing Thunderbolt and Energy Ball respectively. Low Kick is the final move of choice on Weavile here because Ferro looks like a nuisance for the team. Jirachi, Latios, Lando-T are all walled, and nothing really appreciates coming in on a Leech Seed.

Overall, Weav's main purpose is to 1. provide the team with some much needed speed to offensively check things, and 2. pressure Pokemon like Slowbro and bulky Ground types, which are all obstacles for Char-X. For anyone interested, here is a link to my version of the team from the replay. I'm mainly linking to show how the sets on teams like this can be used differently. Rotom-W is the main difference over Keld to handle Talon and Azu better. An extra check to sand and Torn-T is also nice. Using Rotom-W over Keld means Bisharp is more threatening, so having Trick on Jira and Low Kick on Weavile gives you some small ways to compensate. Char-X is running EQ to blow through Tran by itself rather than relying on a lure. Jirachi is Scarf to provide speed control and Healing Wish. Lando-T can run SD to pressure threats like Clefable more, and even HP Ice over Stone Edge to weaken opposing Lando-T for your Char-X.

Last edited:
Submission phase closes later tomorrow! Get your submissions in soon if you'd like to contribute.

All right! Closing up submissions! You may vote for one option. Here are your choices:

link
link
link
link
link

When you cast your vote, please just state the name of the 'mon you're voting for.

My vote goes to Infernal's Weavile.

Weavile.
Although, Infernal would Pursuit > Low Kick be a good choice? It can remove fast mons like Torn-T and Lati@s who can potentially come back and be thorn after you scare it out. I know this makes Ferro a much bigger pain so yeah I'm asking for other opinions.

Reactions: dk
Final tallies:

|||
|||| ||

This round's winner is Infernal and their Weavile! Congrats!

As promised, here is the original final member of the team and a brief explanation as to why this is the last (courtesy of Hector Hard Mode)

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Swords Dance

Explanation:

"Weavile was chosen as the last for its ability to outspeed and check Tornadus-T, Starmie, and Latios. It also helps the team to bluff Charizard-Y, as in combination with a Charizard and Keldeo, opponents are likely to make false assumptions about the team structure at Preview. Charizard + Keldeo + Weavile + Jirachi suggests Char-Y + Specs Keldeo + Pursuit Weavile + Scarf Jirachi, which works in your favor for luring in Heatran and Landorus-T. Swords Dance gives Weavile the ability to put immense pressure on a weakened Excadrill after a boost while letting it clean a lot of bulky teams late game. For example, Knocking Off a Specs Keldeo early game means that Keldeo is in range of a +2 Icicle Crash after Stealth Rock, and normal checks like Heatran and Clefable roll over to a +2 Knock or Crash respectively. Low Kick is another viable option for non-Chople Tyranitar and Heatran, however. The boosting potential is important for KO'ing Clefable, which is mostly checked by Jirachi. Priority also helps against Choice Scarf Landorus should you fail to get a Dragon Dance with Charizard."

Infernal will get an additional point in the hall of fame for getting it correct (even though that's not the point, but why not) :o

New team post will be up shortly!

New Team:
VenuTran + Weavile Balance built by p2

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Lava Plume

Weavile @ Dread Plate
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 144 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Explosion

Starmie @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Thunder Wave
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

p2's Description:

So I built this team around VenuTran with Weavile for Pursuit support, removing and weakening threats such as Latios, Tornadus-T, and Thundurus while covering Weavile's biggest weaknesses in Keldeo and Mega Scizor. Scarf Lando-T fills the obligatory Ground-type role as well as maintaining decent speed control for revenge killing fast offensive threats. Starmie in the last slot allows me to remove hazards, which is one of the biggest problem Mega Venusaur teams suffer from, spread paralysis with Thunder Wave, while Colbur gives Starmie a chance to escape opposing Ttar and Weavile, making it harder for teams that use Pursuit + Spikes to outright win.

But what's my last?

Last edited:

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Roost

This is a solid team so far, but lacks a really decent physical wall to handle mons like weavile, bisharp, mpins, and excadrill for example. Skarm gives the team a handy dandy switch-in to this stuff while turning this team into a pretty effective spikes stacking build. Whirlwind is used over taunt to capitalize on spikes and rack up damage on the opposing team as well as to more reliably stop sd weavile, sd bisharp, dd gyarados, and more from becoming issues. I put shed shell because thats what i always run on any team lacking dugtrio because magnezone is aids. Run something else instead if you want idc. I realize this isnt the ~actual last~ now because of what daddy's kisses said but whatever I made this bed might as well sleep in it. If I had to guess I would say the actual last is something to improve stall (read: mega sableye) matchup drastically because the team so far struggles against it but I made the reservation post at 1 AM and what i would have done knowing the last slot is wincon has already been taken so yeah.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, one thing I was going to say is that the actual last is a boosting win condition, so use that information however you'd like. It's also important to consider playstyle matchups alongside simple 'mon weaknesses when considering potential lasts as well.

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

Keldeo is the team's main dark resist. It also provides the team with a win condition. The team right now has ways to deal with stall such as Heatran's taunt and toxic, starmie's toxic, and weavile's knock off, but those aren't super effective at breaking down stall. Keldeo being added with the Sub CM set absolutely dismantles stall. Amoonguss and Slowbro, which can cause it troublem, is troubled by other members of the team such as Venusaur, Heatran, and Weavile. Keldeo can effectively deal with Sableye, Chansey, Skarmory, Quagsire and the pursuiter that these teams usually run.

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Bisharp appreciates how well it's teammates cover things like Keldeo and Mega Scizor and it also really appreciates Weavile's ability to overwhelm stuff alongside it, making it easier to sweep clean up later on. It also does a really nice job of covering Clef as Venu struggles to break it after a CM or two and considering that it beats Heatran 1v1 if it gets off a T-wave off as it comes in.
==============================
For what it's worth something for other people to consider is that the team's closest thing to a stallbreaker is utility Heatran, so maybe a setup stallbreaker is potentially in the last slot.

Last edited:

Infernal

Banned deucer.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunderbolt / Thunder Wave

Good win condition on balanced builds like this one to help the team with various weaknesses, with some notable ones in bullets below:
  • Rotom-W - Nothing on this team likes coming in on Rotom-W's attacks. Lando-T, Starmie, Tran, and Weav all fear a respective Hydro Pump, Volt Switch, or WoW. Although Mega Venu is a switch in, it's realistically going to end up eating a burn. Combined with SR and Rotom-W simply clicking Volt Switch, Mega Venu is going to be constantly pressured and worn down. Clefable checks Rotom-W nicely and helps relieve some pressure from Mega Venu.
  • Kyurem-B - Although Kyu-B doesn't really like switching in on any particular member and can be checked via status and speed, it's still a weakness to consider. The standard Ice Beam / Earth Power / Fusion is really hard for this team to stomach hits from and will force you to maneuver carefully once it's in safely against a member like Mega Venu or Tran. Clefable checks Kyu-B decently and relieves some of the pressure it's placing on this team.
  • Mega Alakazam - This thing looks really threatening. Between Psychic, Shadow Ball, and Focus, Mega Zam can deal huge damage to every member. Although Lando-T helps to check Mega Zam, nothing on the team can really come in safely and very careful pivoting is needed to check this properly. Clefable gives the team more breathing room versus Mega Zam and is a nice check in general.
There are a few other benefits to Clefable. Mega Sab can be mildly annoying for this team between burn spreading and item removal, so Clefable is helpful for this. Although the team has ways of dealing with Weav, I still think it's an annoying Pokemon for this team to face as others have said. Clefable gives the team an additional check and helps relieve further pressure from Mega Venu, who may find itself being used to check Weav with the spread it's running here. Lastly, the dragon immunity Clefable provides is useful to have against Latios. Surf variants are becoming more common and can open up some unwanted holes in this team by luring in and weakening Tran, so having Clefable as another switch in to fall back on is nice.

Overall, I think Clefable really helps patch up holes for this team by checking several threats in the tier. Many of the weaknesses I discussed above are related to Pokemon capable of exploiting or threatening Mega Venu. Clefable helps alleviate the pressure it's faced with on this team and doubles up as a check to many threats alongside Mega Venu (Mega Lop being an example). While yellow magic can be used as the final move, I prefer Thunderbolt here for a few reasons. The main one is Tran, who would become super annoying for this team assuming Clefable lacked a way of chipping away at its health. Another reason is Skarm, who can be a big pain for this team to deal with assuming Starmie ends up trapped.

Last edited:
All right, submissions are now closed and voting is open! You may vote for one of the following options:

link
link
link
link

When casting a vote, please vote by stating the name of 'mon you're voting for!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)