Wi-Fi In-Game RMT

First off, I'd like to make it known that I haven't even played Net Battle before so I can be considered an extreme newb to competitive battling. But I've found that many of you here offer the best constructive criticism when it comes to competitive team building so I'd like to read your thoughts on this team I'm planning for Wi-Fi.

OH GOD, THE JUST-REGISTERED NEWB PROCEEDS TO MAKE A RMT.

I know. I'm sorry.

I'll try to make this as easy to read and appealing to the eye as possible:

Gengar @ Black Sludge
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 126 HP/126 SpAtk/252 Speed
Modest Nature (+SpAtk, -Speed)
-Shadow Ball
-Thunder Bolt
-Energy Ball
-Hypnosis

My lead. It's primary function is to prevent common Stealth Rockers and Spikers from spreading their AIDS by killing them first.

Thunderbolt is for Skarm and Cloyster. It also, with any luck, messes up any Gyarados leads. Energy Ball is for Swampert (which seems to be a common Steath Rock lead) and Rhyperior (probably won't 1-hit KO it but I'll hopefully hurt it a lot). Shadow Ball is for anything else that walls Thunderbolt and Energy Ball and because it's a sexy STAB. Hypnosis is for anything else I can't really deal with + general usefulness.

Heracross @ Choice Band
Trait: Guts
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Speed
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpAtk)
-Megahorn
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge
-Night Slash/Pursuit

My main physical attacker. I love this guy. <3

Megahorn and Close Combat are self-explanitory. Stone Edge is for Gyarados and any other flyer I might be faster than. Night Slash would be good for Dusknoir, Mismagius, and Gengar but I'm thinking about switing to the now STANDARD STANDARD STANDARD Pursuit-ing Cross after reveiwing some of Jump's stats.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 212 HP / 16 Atk / 136 Def / 144 Spd
-Thunder Wave
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang
-Dragon Dance

Credits to Jump. My bulky water.

Works great as a Heracross and Garchomp counter. As he pointed out, Ice Fang is for the annoying Ground types that resist the sexy Thunder Wave support. Not too sure what I should do with the last slot as I'm not too familiar with competitive battling. Any suggestions?

Rhyperior @ Choice Band
Trait: Hard Rock
EVs: 252 HP/6 Atk/252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpAtk)
-Megahorn
-Avalanche
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge

Defensive Wall.

Used to absorb any Electric attacks sent Gyarados' way. He can lay Stealth Rock and combat Garchomp and possibly AGMence with Avalanche. Earthquake and Stone Edge for sexy stab...hopefully this guy can take care of any Raikou and Zapdos that lack HP Grass. Recall, this is for in-game. I'm kind've relying on many of those two lacking HP Grass because of its annoyance to achieve. Feel free to inform me if that's a horrible idea for my team.

If I sense Surf or Hyrdo Pump, I could switch back into Gyara.

Salamence @ Choice Specs
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Speed
Modest Nature (+SpAtk, -Atk)
-Draco Meteor
-Flamethrower/Fire Blast
-Hydro Pump
-Dragon Pulse

Yes, Jumpmence. I tend to like a lot of his ideas.

I'm thinking about Fire Blast over Flamethrower since it's as accurate as Megahorn on Heracross anyway but perhaps there's a logical Pokenumber reason outside of accuracy?

Infernape @ Expert Belt
Trait: Blaze
Jolly Nature (+Speed, -SpAttk)
-Flare Blitz
-Close Combat
-Thunder Punch/Stone Edge
-Grass Knot/Encore

Late game finisher.

Close Combat for the bitch Blissey. Thunder Punch for Gyarados and other Flyers...but I'm not sure if I should go with Stone Edge instead. Grass Knot for Swampert but I'm thinking about going with Pyr0's idea of Encore annoyance for some suprise.

Alternate choices I had in mind that I wouldn't mind replacing any in my team:

Starmie @ Lefties
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 172 HP/136 SpA/200 Speed
Modest Nature (+SpAtk, -Atk)
-Rapid Spin
-Recover
-Surf
-Ice Beam

I believe I might be a little Stealth Rock weak so I was considering this guy. Surf for sexy stab and Ice Beam because I fear Jumpmence.

Lucario @ Expert Belt
Trait: Inner Focus
-Dragon Pulse/Counter
-Close Combat
-Extremespeed
-Stone Edge

Physical attacks are self-explanitory. Dragon Pulse for those Salamence's and Garchomp's or Counter for suprise lols.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 240 HP/104 Atk/136 Def/28 Speed
Nature: Impish (+Def,-SpA)
-Light Screen
-Zen Headbutt
-U-Turn
-Wish

Wish supporter with EVs courtesy of Jump again. Light Screen because my team hates Special. Maybe this would be useful?

Counter Time:

Tyranitar: Rhyperior a la Avalanche? Jirachi if I go with it.

Gyarados: Gengar

Infernape: Salamence or perhaps Rhyperior thanks to EVs? Starmie if I go with it.

Azelf : A huge problem for sure. Gengar and Heracross might be able to pull it off but I guess a sacrifice would be needed? Help?

Rhyperior: Another pain in the ass. Guess my own Rhyperior could try and tackle it?

Electivire: Rhyperior...assuming it's not running HP Grass. or perhaps Lucario if I go with it?

Heracross: Gyarados and Mence could help here if I predict right.

Salamence: Rhyperior might be able to handle some variants lacking Hydro Pump. Starmie could help with Ice Beam, I guess...not sure if either are real counters though.

Metagross: Rhyperior perhaps? or Lucario? or maybe Gengar?

Celebi: Hmmm...maybe Gengar? or Salamence?

Jirachi: Rhyperior perhaps?

Manaphy: Salamence maybe. Otherwise, big ass problem.

Togekiss: Gengar, perhaps? Maybe Gyarados?

Gengar: My own Gengar? or Jirachi if I use it.

Garchomp: Gyarados and Salamence

Raikou: Rhyperior if it's not running HP Grass on Wi-Fi.

Lucario: Gyarados

Tauros: Perhaps Infernape or Lucario?

Starmie: Gengar if I'm faster maybe, thus all the speed EVs. Salamence with Draco Meteor if I don't get Ice Beam'd first might help.

Snorlax: Gyarods might be able to mess the guy up with Intimidate. Infernape and Heracross should be abel to hurt it a lot. Salamence could screw it up a bit too.

Zapdos: Rhyperior if it lacks HP Grass.

Blissey: Infernape and Heracross

Suicune: Gengar maybe? Salamence should be able to hurt it a lot though. Might have some trouble with bulky waters...

Sceptile: Infernape and Heracross

Slaking: Infernape and Heracrosss?

Weavile: Gyarados

Alakazam: Er...Jirachi if I use it could certainly help.

Medicham: Gyarados and Strarmie maybe.

Slowbro: Gengar?

Jolteon: Rhyperior

Aerodactyl: Rhyperior?

As you can see, as a newb, I'm not the best at the counter part as I don't have much experience.

So, that's it.

I realize I haven't considered Blissey, but I hate the bitch and would much rather use Pokemon I like. >_>

Hopefully I didn't reek of too much STANDARD STANDARD STANDARD. I tried to change it up a bit to what I think might be more effective on Wi-Fi.

Fire away at this newbie.

Pursuit on Heracross for sure.
For a 1-poster RMT, it's a hell of a lot better than most. And it shows that you actually took the time to lurk and to read before posting.

For pokemon choice: putting Starmie or Jirachi over Infernape will result in a much better team defensively. You will probably not have problems "finishing" packing a Dos, SpecsMence, Gengar, and Cross.

Rhyperior is really good with a CB and 4 attacks. He does have the defenses to wall but is left without a reliable healing move. His attacking set is very formidable and he can still take stray hits that you switch him into.

I would suggest the Wish support Jirachi over Infernape for right now, and not particularly enthused enough to check EVs/Natures/Item choice.

Infernape certainly is the weakest link I was considering removing. Leaning towards Jirachi rather than Starmie myself since Infernape's absence would only leave me with 2 Stealth Rock weak Pokemon.

And thanks for the Rhyperior suggestion. I'll start re-reading that Rhyperior thread posted awhile back.

Is it just me or is the quality of first posts improving dramatically?

You've got problems taking on Gyarados since Gengar gets OHKOed by a Dragon Danced Waterfall and Rhyperior doesn't like taking a boosted Waterfall either. If it doesn't have Waterfall, Rhyperior can beat it. If it doesn't have Taunt, your own Gyarados can paralyze it. You're still lacking a real complete counter though.

With both Salamence and Gyarados on your team you pretty much need a spinner. Starmie could go in the place of Heracross or Infernape as they're both serving a similar purpose. You'll also solve your Gyarados problem.

Donphan over Rhyperior would work too, but you'll lose your Normal/Flying resist.

Jirachi can go in place of Rhyperior and you'll retain your Rock/Normal/Flying resist and he works well with Gyarados and Salamence.

You've got a pretty significant weakness to Azelf, you'll need to drop one of your sweepers for a counter to it. Salamence is probably the most expendable, so he can be replaced with Blissey or Snorlax. Houndoom is also a great counter for Azelf and is a more "like for like" replacement for Salamence. Sorta.

You've got problems taking on Gyarados since Gengar gets OHKOed by a Dragon Danced Waterfall and Rhyperior doesn't like taking a boosted Waterfall either. If it doesn't have Waterfall, Rhyperior can beat it. If it doesn't have Taunt, your own Gyarados can paralyze it. You're still lacking a real complete counter though.

With both Salamence and Gyarados on your team you pretty much need a spinner. Starmie could go in the place of Heracross or Infernape as they're both serving a similar purpose. You'll also solve your Gyarados problem.
Heh. The battle between Starmie and Jirachi over Infernape's position is now 60/40.

Thanks for the info.
Jirachi can go in place of Rhyperior and you'll retain your Rock/Normal/Flying resist and he works well with Gyarados and Salamence.
Wouldn't ditching Rhyperior present a problem with Zapdos, Raikou, and maybe even Jolteon, though? Or do you think Light Screen support from Jirachi will help a lot?

You've got a pretty significant weakness to Azelf, you'll need to drop one of your sweepers for a counter to it. Salamence is probably the most expendable, so he can be replaced with Blissey or Snorlax. Houndoom is also a great counter for Azelf and is a more "like for like" replacement for Salamence. Sorta.
I'll keep Houndoom in mind, thanks. He's always been a favorite.
Pnuema said:
For a 1-poster RMT, it's a hell of a lot better than most. And it shows that you actually took the time to lurk and to read before posting.
Phuquoph said:
Is it just me or is the quality of first posts improving dramatically?
SePh258 said:
It's a one time thing. Better get out your camera.
You're making me blush, guys.

Rhyperior doesn't necessarily protect you from Electrics. Most people are favouring Hidden Power Ice on them to take care of Garchomp. In that case, Rhyperior can handle them quite well. However, Rhyperior's been getting a lot of hype lately so you may see your fair share of Hidden Power Grass.

Blissey or Snorlax take care of special based Electrics and Azelf, so they're probably better choices than Houndoom since he can't take STAB Thunderbolts.

Blissey or Snorlax over Salamence and Starmie over Infernape would be my choices to balance your team out.

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Wait, somebody is actually reading my posts?

Haha, thanks for all the kind words, and the well-laid-out words of this RMT in general. As far as "Jumpmence" goes I prefer Flamethrower pretty much because of accuracy, yeah. I don't like Hydro Pump's accuracy at all and a Draco Meteor miss is pretty much bound to make me say "lol pokemon" a few times. If Salamence got Surf I would use that instead in a heartbeat, and if anything at all I'd replace Hydro Pump with HP Ground to get Heatran and Empoleon (if the latter really starts to become popular, something none of us can know right now), but I don't like the notion of locking yourself into moves that can open up the door for some huge threats like Azelf, Gyarados and Salamence if you don't have to.

My real Adamant Gyarados now has this EV spread so everybody update jumpman16.xls accordingly:

212 HP / 16 Atk / 136 Def / 144 Spd / 0 SpA / 0 SpD for
384 HP / 319 Atk / 228 Def / 234 Spd / 141 SpA / 236 SpD

I feel it may be more important to always outspeed Timid Gengar (350) and Jolly Infernape (346) after a DD (351) than to have seven more points in Defense, though there's no way of knowing for sure yet so you'll have to forgive me for tinkering with a pokemon I've never used in a game I don't have yet, lol. I feel that Gyarados is probably the pokemon with the most difficult and intricate EV spread, replacing Advance's Curselax and Cursepert in that regard.

If you do decide to use Starmie, make it Timid so you have a 100% Infernape counter with your 200 Speed EVs that'll give you 347 speed. However, you're going to have major special problems, which would probably explain why you "forgot" the tail end of my threat list, so following Phuquoph's advice about replacing Salamence would probably serve you best. Good luck finding a good Blissey though, I sure need one =/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)