Winter Is Coming- An OU Team With A GoT Theme

When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die
- Ceresi Lannister

Changes in Red
Hey guys, my name is AshH654 and this is my first RMT. Bit of history, I started playing late into the gen 5 meta, about summer of 2013. On and off, i have been a lurker here, taking a few teams from here for my personal use, testing them and enjoying them. If anyone asks, i always make sure to say that its not my team though, because they aren't. I'm not a plagiarist.

About the team. I built it about a week ago, at the event of the banning of Genesect and Mega-Lucario. The logic behind the team is two-pronged.

1) Lucario doesnt need the mega to be viable in OU
2) I need a new team now Genesect is banned. (Yea, i used Genesect a lot)

The way i built this team was different to the way i usually build teams. When i usually build teams, i think of 2 or 3 things i want to use and work with them type wise. This time, i took the Lucario, and i worked around it stats wise. Special attacker, physical and special walls, a utility pokemon, and a mega because i needed a 6th pokemon.

I decided to name the team with a Game Of Thrones. I recently started reading the books, which are brilliant. The pokemons names are all houses in the land of Westeros. (For those of you that are curious, I'm currently on book 3 part 1)

TEAMBUILDING
So i started with wanting to use a Lucario in OU, without the mega.

Then i wanted a physcal attacker, to compliment Lucario

Then I looked towards the defence side of things, adding a physical wall

And a special wall

Now i realised i still had space for a mega evolution, so i chose something i havnt used before

Now i realised that i have 2 things that are weak to rocks, and u needed a utility pokemon on my team

I then replaced salamence with gyarados for coverage

THE TEAM

Stark (Lucario) @ Leftovers
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 252 HP / 216 SAtk / 40 Spd
Modest Nature
- Aura Sphere
- Flash Cannon
- Vacuum Wave
- Nasty Plot

Winter Is Coming- House Stark
Like i said before, I wanted to show that Lucario was viable without the Mega Stone. I chose a very standard set, running the justified ability because of the rampant knock off running around on pretty much every pokemon nowadays. I considered running an Expert Belt set with Dark Pulse over one of the fighting type moves, but i kinda wanted to keep both moves as well. Vacuum Wave for the priority, and Aura Sphere for the extra power. Flash Cannon is there for the fairys and a second STAB, and Nasty Plot for the stat boost. I put 40 EVs into speed just for that little extra speed boost over some pokemon that can usually outspeed Lucario so that Stark can hit first.

Targaryen (Gyarados) @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Fire And Blood - House Tragaryen
The original rulers of westeros and the house of dragons. Salamence is one of my favourite dragons, and a dragon-type that i have used before. Bringing this guy in at the right time is key to getting the moxie boost and, after one DD, you can do a lot of damage to teams! Shadow claw is there because i needed coverage over ghost types, and it doesnt feel like the move fits. Im just not sure what to replace it with though. Im open to any suggestions. Ive used this exact EV spread before, and to me, its proven to work. Thanks to Frozen Arrow, I realised that Salamence has a 4X weakness to ice, meaning that gyarados is a better choice for the Drag-Mox strategy that i have in this Pokemon. Gyarados also gives me better type synergy, as instead of the dragon typing repeated, i have a water type on the team. this also means that there is less of a chance for an ice type to sweep my team.

Arryn (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 184 Def / 252 HP / 72 Spd
Impish Nature
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Toxic

As High As Honor-- House Arryn
Gliscor. Where do I start? Its a brilliant lead and I've seen loads of them in OU! I havnt used one myself properly before though, and decided it was time to use one as a physically defencive wall and a lead for this team. Substitute for the first turn, to stall the turn out and get Arryn toxic'd thanks to my Toxic Orb. Ice Fang and Earthquake manage to do some damage to most leads, apart from skarmory. As a defencive wall, its also able to take a few attacks itself, and do some damage with toxic and the attacking moves as well. I am looking into a different defencive wall for this team.

.Tully (Sylveon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell
- Wish

Family, Duty, Honor - House Tully
Another wall. This time special. This thing is amazing! it can take quite a few hits, and dish out some good damage as well. Wish and Heal Bell for team support. Heal Bell is a lot more useful after Gliscor is gone tho, because then i dont have to stall out another turn for another Txic Orb turn. Hyper Voice over Moonblast because of Pixilate. I did try out Florges, but then changed it for Sylveon because of better overall special stats.

Baratheon (Charizard) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Belly Drum
- Roost

Ours Is The Fury- House Baratheon
Charizard has been one of my favourite starters for years. When i started playing competitivly, i was surprised about it being in NU, then i saw the stats... yea. At first, I loved the design of MegaZard X, then when gen 6 came out on Showdown, i started to prefer Y over X, because of drought and the solarbeam set. When i built this team, I decided to try out Charizard X, with a set based on something i saw on youtube. Bellly drum! This set either destroys teams, or feints quickly. If played right, you can win easily. But this thing requires a very specific way of bringing him in. No rocks on the field and something that cant hurt this very well. Roost is there for recovery after Belly Drum, and the other two moves are for STAB.

Lannister (Excadrill) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 32 HP / 224 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Hear Me Roar - House Lannister
A Lannister Always Pays His Debts - Tyrion Lannister
Excadrill is a utility pokemon on my team for setting up rocks and removing other hazards. He was originally a forretres, but i didnt really like how it was working with my team, synergy wise, so i swapped for the exca, which is the popular option. Im not too happy with the attack moves i have on here, but im not too sure what else to run on here. i have never really liked the feel or excadrill in a team, but i have never found a different good poke to set rocks and remove them. Yea, this slot needs some work :S

So, thats the team. I have no idea how to improve it and thats why i have turned here. thank you everyone for the help :P

Attachments

Last edited:
Hi, I have had a quick look at your team and the first thing I noticed is you have two 4x Weakness to ice. This is a big problem as that is 1/3 of your team. The second thing I noticed is That greninja Could probably ohko Four of your pokemon with the exception of Char X and Sylveon(could possibly Ohko char as well but i don't know exact damage). For that reason I suggest you change a couple pokemon. In particular Gliscor and salamence appear to be your weakest links. I suggest replacing Salamence for Gyarados so you have water coverage on your team:
Gyarados @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk) / Adamant (+Atk, - Satk)
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

I would also recommend possibly switching out Gliscor for an alternate wall however that is optional if you are switching for gyarados.
Hope this helps :)

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi! Yeah, the weakness to ice is big. Run the above Gyarados or possibly even Multiscale Dragonite with Weakness Policy.

Not a huge fan of BellyZard for your mega X, it just doesn't have the speed to do much with it and lacks priority. Therefore, I suggest you run a standard DD MegaZardX.

Also, a minor nitpick, there is no reason to run Justified on your Lucario. It's pointless with a special set.

Just one thing I saw while looking it over is that Justified is literally completely useless on Lucario. You say you run it because of Knock Off, but it does not provide an immunity to Dark moves if that's what you're thinking. It also gives an Attack boost when hit by a Dark move, but your Lucario is completely Special. I would switch the ability to one of Steadfast or Inner Focus (either has its perks; I'd go Steadfast since you have a priority move), and go ahead and make the item Life Orb. Lucario does has superior SpA, but the moves it runs have quite low base power compared to a physical set's Close Combat, and it needs all the power it can get.

I also would make Excadrill Jolly with 32 HP / 224 Atk / 252 Spe. That gives it a bit of needed oomph, lets it outspeed non-Scarf Rotom-W and smack it with EQ, and hits a Leftovers number for a bit of extra recovery. Air Balloon also works, but given your style you probably want to keep Leftovers.

Charizard also needs to be Jolly if you're running Belly Drum. When your Attack becomes that obscene so quickly, and since you're forgoing Dragon Dance, you need the extra speed to make it harder to revenge kill it. At +6, the 10% boost won't be too noticeable anyway because everything in front of you just melts. Also, put the 4 HP EVs into Defense to minimize Stealth Rock damage, and take physical hits slightly better, since most priority moves are physical.

tl;dr: Change Lucario's ability and give it Life Orb; Make Excadrill Jolly and Offensive; Change Charizard to Jolly.

actually House Tully motto is Family, Duty, Honor
I just got the quotes from the wiki. Im honestly not sure of them all myself either.

Hi, I have had a quick look at your team and the first thing I noticed is you have two 4x Weakness to ice. This is a big problem as that is 1/3 of your team. The second thing I noticed is That greninja Could probably ohko Four of your pokemon with the exception of Char X and Sylveon(could possibly Ohko char as well but i don't know exact damage). For that reason I suggest you change a couple pokemon. In particular Gliscor and salamence appear to be your weakest links. I suggest replacing Salamence for Gyarados so you have water coverage on your team:
Gyarados @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk) / Adamant (+Atk, - Satk)
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

I would also recommend possibly switching out Gliscor for an alternate wall however that is optional if you are switching for gyarados.
Hope this helps :)
Thanks. I have replaced salamence with your gyarados set that you reccomended to me, and i have tested a few things out for a gliscor replacement. What would you reccomend for me to use. (just the poke, not set wise, as i can work on the sets myself :P)
Hi! Yeah, the weakness to ice is big. Run the above Gyarados or possibly even Multiscale Dragonite with Weakness Policy.

Not a huge fan of BellyZard for your mega X, it just doesn't have the speed to do much with it and lacks priority. Therefore, I suggest you run a standard DD MegaZardX.

Also, a minor nitpick, there is no reason to run Justified on your Lucario. It's pointless with a special set.
Just one thing I saw while looking it over is that Justified is literally completely useless on Lucario. You say you run it because of Knock Off, but it does not provide an immunity to Dark moves if that's what you're thinking. It also gives an Attack boost when hit by a Dark move, but your Lucario is completely Special. I would switch the ability to one of Steadfast or Inner Focus (either has its perks; I'd go Steadfast since you have a priority move), and go ahead and make the item Life Orb. Lucario does has superior SpA, but the moves it runs have quite low base power compared to a physical set's Close Combat, and it needs all the power it can get.

I also would make Excadrill Jolly with 32 HP / 224 Atk / 252 Spe. That gives it a bit of needed oomph, lets it outspeed non-Scarf Rotom-W and smack it with EQ, and hits a Leftovers number for a bit of extra recovery. Air Balloon also works, but given your style you probably want to keep Leftovers.

Charizard also needs to be Jolly if you're running Belly Drum. When your Attack becomes that obscene so quickly, and since you're forgoing Dragon Dance, you need the extra speed to make it harder to revenge kill it. At +6, the 10% boost won't be too noticeable anyway because everything in front of you just melts. Also, put the 4 HP EVs into Defense to minimize Stealth Rock damage, and take physical hits slightly better, since most priority moves are physical.

tl;dr: Change Lucario's ability and give it Life Orb; Make Excadrill Jolly and Offensive; Change Charizard to Jolly.
I changed Lucario to Steadfast and Charizard to Jolly.

Thank you all for your comments, i would love some reccomendations for gliscor replacements as a lead and physical wall right now. :P thank you all for taking the time to have a look at my team

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)