[QC Ready 1/3] Malamar

[Pros]
<ul>
<li>Contrary to take advantage of Superpower, enemy Intimidates, Sticky Web, King's Shield from opposing Aegislash.</li>
<li>Strong offensive typing, can hit everything for neutral with STABs and Superpower</li>
<li>Topsy turvy can stop boosters in their tracks.</li>
<li>Above average physical stats: HP, Attack, and Defense.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]
<ul>
<li>Mediocre to average Special Defense and Speed.</li>
<li>Only resistance is Psychic immunity and 4x weakness to bug.</li>
<li>Shallow movepool.</li>
<li>Requires a few turns to really get going.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]
<p>name: Superpower Booster / Attacker <br />
move 1: Superpower <br />
move 2: Night Slash <br />
move 3: Psycho Cut / Substitute<br />
move 4: Taunt / Topsy Turvy <br />
ability: Contrary <br />
item: Leftovers <br />
evs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 SpD <br />
nature: Adamant </p>

<p>Thanks to Malamar's intriguing ability, Contrary, instead of its attack and defense being lowered after each use of Superpower, those two stats are actually raised. As a result, Malamar's main niche is to use Superpower whenever possible. Night Slash and Psycho Cut provide STAB coverage, but take note: because of Superpower's high base power, a neutral Superpower is stronger than a neutral Night Slash or Psycho Cut and also boosts your stats. Thus, those moves should only be used when Superpower is resisted. </p>

<p>While the offensive combination of Fighting, Dark, and Psychic hits every Pokemon for at least neutral, taking Psychic out of the mix only leaves Malamar unable to hit Fairy-types. Substitute is thus a reasonable alternative to Psycho Cut if your team has other methods of dealing with them. Substitute will help Malamar avoid status and also make it less resistant to critical hits; if Malamar's Substitute is intact, a critical hit will only destroy the Substitute instead of potentially breaking through all of the defense boosts and fainting Malamar. </p>

<p>In the last moveslot, Malamar can use a move that will help it set up. Taunt will help it avoid status, though note that Taunt may feel redundant if you are using Substitute. Topsy Turvy, Malamar's signature move, is also an option because it makes Malamar a good check to physical Aegislash because it can negate Aegislash's Swords Dance boosts and hit back with STAB super effective Night Slash. If Aegislash tries to use King's Shield, Night Slash will increase Malamar's attack by two stages. Other options for the fourth moveslot include Hypnosis, Light Screen, or Rock Slide; the former two options will help Malamar set up while Rock Slide provides coverage against Flying-types.</p>

<p> The given EVs bring Malamar to a Leftovers regeneration number + 1 after maximizing Attack, with the rest in Special Defense to help Malamar take hits while it sets up. Leftovers is Malamar's best item because it helps it stay alive longer, but Assault Vest and Choice Scarf are also viable alternatives. With Assault Vest, move 28 HP EVs to Special Defense and use Psycho Cut and Rock Slide as the last two moves. The Assault Vest can be a good option because it shores up Malamar's Special Defensive weakness. On the other hand, with Choice Scarf, use a spread of 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe with a Jolly nature. This takes care of Malamar's speed deficiency, but note that the best way to use a Choice Scarf Malamar is to make sure any Ghost-type or other Pokemon that resist Superpower are taken care of first and just spam Superpower as much as possible. </p>

<p>name: Rest + Sleep Talk <br />
move 1: Rest <br />
move 2: Sleep Talk <br />
move 3: Superpower <br />
move 4: Night Slash <br />
ability: Contrary <br />
item: Leftovers <br />
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD <br />
nature: Careful </p>

~ SpD investment helps Malamar tank some hits while it's boosting
~ similar to RestTalking Snorlax, Gyarados, etc., except Malamar's Bulk Up move has 120 BP
~ Becomes very tough to crack after a few turns.
~ Superpower + Night Slash provides good coverage outside of Fairies
~ Good status absorber

[Checks and Counters]
~ Bulky Fairy-type Pokemon are tough for Malamar to crack, while they can just fire super effective Moonblasts or Dazzling Gleams at it.
~ Flying types resist Superpower and Togekiss in particular doubly resists Superpower with its Fairy-typing and can hit back with extremely hard Fairy attacks, or paralyze and then spam Air Slash
~ Skarmory can shrug off hits and force Malamar out with a well-time Whirlwind. It needs to be careful not to use Roost at an inopportune moment though because Superpower then becomes super effective. Hippowdon can wall it similarly with its physical bulk and can Roar it out.
~ Physically bulky pokemon with strong special or Bug-type attacks can switch in pretty easily, such as Vaporeon or Scizor.
~ Faster pokemon sporting special or Bug-type attacks usually can't switch in as easily due to poor defenses, but serve as good checks that can come in after a KO. Greninja and Talonflame outspeed and can kill it easily with U-turn while Volcarona can come in with Bug Buzz and force Malamar to switch out or die

Last edited:
You can mention Hippowdon and Vaporeon in C&C. The former just walls it hard and can phaze it out while the latter can go for the Scald burn or phaze it out too.

Also, I wonder if a specially defensive boosting RestTalk set is viable with Night Slash as coverage. This compensates for status effects, lack of recovery, and its weaker special side, offering more Superpower boosts in the long run. I'd have to test it, but thoughts on that?

Reactions: tab
Malamar doesn't just have "few resistances"; it has absolutely zero.
It's immune to Psychic but point taken. Alakazam can't threaten to revenge kill *as easily* because of that.

You can mention Hippowdon and Vaporeon in C&C. The former just walls it hard and can phaze it out while the latter can go for the Scald burn or phaze it out too.
will add.

Also, I wonder if a specially defensive boosting RestTalk set is viable with Night Slash as coverage. This compensates for status effects, lack of recovery, and its weaker special side, offering more Superpower boosts in the long run. I'd have to test it, but thoughts on that?
Someone was talking about a set like this on IRC and it does sound intruiging. I'll have to test out myself. When you say "specially defensive boosting" do you mean EV'd to be specially defensive or something else? Rest / Sleep Talk / Superpower / Night Slash doesn't leave much room for any other moves heh

Last edited:
Yeah sorry, I meant Rest/Sleep Talk/Superpower/Night Slash with a Careful nature and 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD @ Leftovers.

It seems like it would be a bitch to kill if the opposition lacks really hard-hitting special attackers and strong U-turners, which is basically just Scizor and Greninja due to STAB. It becomes a fine sleep and status absorber, while laughing at Intimidate and Sticky Web. It seems worth it, I'll be trying this out once I get home.

I really question the viability of the Choice Scarf set. Outside of Superpower, it is so weak that it really can't touch anything. I mean really Psycho Cut and Night Slash at 70 base power backed by 92 Atk just does not cut it. Even when using Superpower, it still isn't a good idea since two of the top threats in the metagame right now, Mega-Gengar and Aegislash, can just come right in and use you as set up fodder. Lastly, it is pretty slow for a Choice Scarfer, so you won't be revenging any boosting speed threats with it any time soon. +1 to the RestTalk set to extend the PP of Superpower.

IMO Malamar's best shot at OU and best set is a Substitute set.

Fast Sub:
Malamar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Contrary
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Night Slash
- Superpower
- Topsy-Turvy

Substitute and Contrary Superpower work great in tandem because the defensive boosts you gain with Contrary can make your Substitutes harder to break. This set is a good check to Aegislash because you can Topsy-Turvy or Substitute it before it can attack you. Your opponent is going to have a tougher time breaking this than other Malamar sets because breaking the Substitute is just going to be another opportunity to fire off another Contrary Superpower for the kill. The speed EV's outspeed Aegislash and Scizor while underspeeding Skamory at the same time so it can not Roost up on you as your Superpower

Or you could go for a slower set that is a harder to stop sweeper but less stellar check to Aegislash:

Bulky Sub
Malamar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Substitute
- Superpower
- Payback
- Light Screen

So now that you are slower, you can manage to set up your Substitute more securely on other things. In addition, Payback is a nice increase in power from Night Slash and kinda makes up for the lack of Attack investment. Light Screen buffers your Sp. Def even more in conjunction to the Special Defense invesment. Contrary Superpower + Light Screen will make your Substitute annoyingly hard to take down. The problem with this set is phazers because you just can't get going fast enough and you need as many Superpowers as you can get.

Lastly, people can poop on me later for suggesting this idea if it is bad, but perhaps an OO mention of a CM + Sunction Cups set? It makes for an interesting stallbreaker in that it can not be phazed out and has access to Dark Pulse (only resisted by Dark and Fairy) and Psyshock to hit Sp. Def Walls. I know its SpA is ass but against defensive teams I could see it boosting up easily with its decent physical bulk. It doesn't have any big exploitable type weaknesses outside of Bug, which a defensive team will never have as an attacking type so it can't be hit very hard.

Last edited:
I added the RestTalk set. I'm reconsidering the Scarf set, and I'll be testing out your Fast Sub set, ThePillsburyDoughBoy.

alrighty, uh, sorry for the delays, I've had a lot of real life stuff that should be over now going on the past few weeks!

I made a lot of changes to the sets, organization. I took off the Scarf set but added a mention in the first set that's a possibility. I added the option to go with ThePillsburyDoughBoy 's first set. The second didn't fare so well in my tests and the CM + Suction Cups is lol. If we had Other Options I might mention it there, but not otherwise.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Topsy Turvy is only useful against Swords Dance and Autotomize sets and even then it's not even the best option, as Night Slash deals with Autotomize versions better (take a hit and OHKO back), while Night Slash is better than Topsy Turvy if Aegislash is at Night Slash's KO range. So Topsy Turvy is only useful for healthy SD Aegislash. I can't think of any other stat boosters that are slower than Malamar, and those that are faster can OHKO it after setting up, making Topsy Turvy useless. Topsy Turvy is honestly AC material (it's just for one set, not even one entire Pokemon), unless i am missing an important threat that it deals with. Taunt for WoW Rotom-W, T-Wave / Leech Seed Ferrothorn, WoW Gourgeist, Whirlwind Hippowdon, and Whirlwind Skarmory from the top of my head is way better and useful in general, while Rest can be used with Chesto Berry to make you harder to take down and let you ignore status for a period of time. Even Trick Room seems better, allowing Malamar to support its team and outspeed many of its checks while slowly boosting its Attack and Defense. So Taunt / Rest / Trick Room is the way the last slot should be imo (maybe TR in AC, because it seems kinda out of place and plays a bit different?)

All this is theory of course as i haven't used Malamar, but i don't see what would change in practice with Topsy Turvy.

I would slash Taunt and AC ChestoRest and Trick Room. Taunt has some pretty good utility as you've outlined. Blocking status, recovery, and phazing from the likes of Skarmory, Hippowdon, Ferrothorn, and Togekiss, among others, is very nice. Malamar basically turns into a nifty stallbreaker and even harder to deal with from a defensive point of view.

I feel like Trick Room could either be detrimental or useless if there's Sticky Web on your side and could generally complicate Malamar's playstyle. ChestoRest isn't that bad either, but I think Malamar would rather have consistent recovery from Leftover. Just run Taunt if status is a concern to you. But I haven't tried these variants so I don't know for sure.

Last edited:
I don't mind moving Topsy Turvy to the comments as it is a little situational, but it does have its uses as sort of a pseudo-pseudo-Haze. I don't think Taunt is thaat much better to be the only option listed on the set. I can put Taunt as the primary option and slash Topsy Turvy.

ChestoRest can also be mentioned in the comments.

Honestly, Trick Room isn't that great on Malamar; it's just too fast to truly make use of it. I would relegate it to Other Options if we could, but I can make a small note in the comments instead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)