Wither Away For Me: A Stall Team

"The cycle of life and death continues. We will live, they will die."

Hey there guys. Twix here again bring you another team to help me improve on.This time, I'm working on a stall team that isn't reliant on weather. So let's take a look at what is to offer.

Team Building:

To start of my stall team, I might as well start with a solid core. For this I used a core of Amoongus, Heatran, and Slowbro. The synergy they bring together is just amazing. Of course, I would have to ditch the offensive prowess of Heatran but that's a sacrafice I can make.

Next I wanted to bring up someone who can pass Wish to my team when needed. So I brought in Chansey, ditching its older sister for a more bulkier variant. And what better way to compliment Chansey's bulk with none other than Skarmory. Skarmory can phaze and wall physical attackers really well. I can't pass him up.

Now I needed one final pokemon to fill the remaining slot. I settled for a mixed defensive Celebi to tie everything together. Celebi and provide Heal Bell and Parish Song. And with that, my team was finally put together. However, I lack a spinner and possibly a spinblocker. I'm still figuring out how to fit those two into this team.

The Sets:

Calm @ Black Sludge
Trait: Regenerator
Moves:
-Spore
-Giga Drain
-HP Ice
-Stun Spore
EVs: 252 HP/28 Sp.Atk/228 Sp.Def
Amoongus is usually the first pokemon into battle. Usually if I can survive a hit then I let out a spore to put a pokemon out of commission until it wakes up. I've managed to get Spore off upon offensive switch ins who wish to deal with this shady shroom. Giga Drain is there to handle Water and Rock types and to further prolong his healthy status.

Calm @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
Moves:
-Lava Plume
-Protect
-Stealth Rock
-Wil-O-Wisp
EVs: 248 HP/252 Sp.Atk/8 Spe
Oh Heatran. I've used Heatran before in offensive teams but his defensive stats are great too. He is my Stealth Rocker and a nice counter to sun teams. Originally I've been running Toxic over Wil-O-Wisp but Chansey already handles Toxic. His Sp.Atk is pretty high so Lava Plume still hits fairly hard.

Bold @ Leftovers
Moves:
-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Slack Off
-Thunder Wave
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp.Atk
I've seen what a Slowbro can do. His ability to wall many of OU's physical attackers is amazing, especially against fighting types. Choosing between Thunder Wave and Psychic was hard. It's a little weird running Scald+T-Wave but T-Wave would primarily be used for the likes of setup sweepers, pretty much crippling them if unprepared.

Bold @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
Moves:
-Wish
-Protect
-Seismic Toss
-Toxic
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Spe
Choosing between Chansey and Blissey was a little easy. I chose Chansey anyway due to it being bulkier than her sister. Wish on this thing is crazy. I've allowed myself to stall hard with Chansey primarily because of Wish+Protect.

Impish @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Sturdy
Moves:
-Whirlwind
-Spikes
-Roost
-Brave Bird
EVs: 224 HP/252 Def/32 Sp.Def
Skarmory is my second Physical wall and his primary role is to phaze and spike. Racking up damage with SR+Spikes is amazing and with Rocky Helmet, it can really wither down a pokemon fairly well especially if they have a Life Orb. Shares nice synergy with Chansey.

Bold @ Leftovers
Moves:
-Giga Drain
-Recover
-Parish Song
-Heal Bell
EVs: 252 HP/220 Def/36 Sp.Def
Mixed Defensive Celebi. This thing has walled several pokemon fairly well. Parish Song is just great and has netted me some key plays/kills. Pretty much the cleric of my team and handles pokemon like Keldeo fairly.

And there you have it. I'd like some suggestions for any substitutes that may improve my team. I still need a spinner and maybe a spinblocker entry hazards haven't posed much of a big problem so far.

Importable:
Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 28 SAtk / 228 SDef
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stun Spore

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spd
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp

Slowbro @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 SDef
Impish Nature
- Whirlwind
- Spikes
- Roost
- Brave Bird

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SDef
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Perish Song
- Heal Bell

Hey man, pretty interesting Amoonbro stall team, I run one of these myself so I can definitely help out.

As your team currently stands, it doesn't have much on-paper weaknesses, but it still has quite a few problems that should be hammered out. First off, Celebi and Amoonguss clash way to much for a role, countering Keldeo, Breloom, ect, overall being the same bulky grass type. Your going to have to make the tough choice here and choose one one of them, I am partial to Amoonguss, but if you think this team needs a perish-sponge Pokemon, that's fine to. In particular, losing Celebi opens up a weakness to CM-Jirachi and the newly common Sheerforce Conkeldurr, while Amoonguss makes you lose to common Keldeo pursuit cores, or shenanigans like HP-Bug Keldeo. The choice is yours. (if you keep Celebi, make sure to run a full specially defensive spread on Celebi to take on Amoonguss)

On the topic of CM-Jirachi your Heatran should really run Roar, probably over Willow-Wisp. Roar is also a solid phasing move on this team, even if you keep Celebi, it helps a lot vs the increasing common Baton Pass Celebi.

Losing Celebi or Amoonguss them opens up an entire team slot for you to toy with. IMO you should probably run a Rapid Spinner in this new spot, your team would really appreciate hazards off the field. Forretress is a solid choice, although it does clash a little with Skarmory, but it does offer a solid answer to most Kyurem-Bs, as well as a nice additional check for a variety of physical threats. Since Skarmory already is running Spikes, that opens Forretress to be more creative. I suggest something along the following lines:

Forretress (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Atk / 144 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball
- Volt Switch / Toxic / Toxic Spikes

Earthquake can kill off Magnezone on the switch, the attack evs allow it to 1HKO Magnezone after rocks.

I want to say that this isn't the only option, you can also use anything from Tyranitar for weather, to Sableye to spin block, or heck even a sweeper, losing one of your redundant bulky grasses opens up an entire slot for you to play with.

Amoonguss needs Clear Smog to do it's job right in countering Keldeo and Breloom, as well as other set-up Pokemon (random curse Pokemon come to mind). Use it over HP-Ice or Stun Spore, I would use it over Stun Spore personally.

With Rocky Helmet, your current EV spread is pointless, as it allows Skarm to regain sturdy with leftovers sooner, just run a full physically defensive spread of 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def.

A tiny nitpick, but give Chansey and Amoonguss 248 HP, otherwise they are taking more from hazards and burns.

Outside of that, I don't have much else to say about your team. I have a few personal suggestions in running a team like this though:
-In this metagame, sand is a lot more popular and I haven't had much use of Chansey's mixed bulk, I just use Blissey > Chansey.
-On Chansey, a full physically defensive spread is pretty pointless, I run 180 HP / 252 Def / 76 SpD personally, it makes sure Specs-Latias can't 2HKO with Psyshock.
-Looking at this team, you don't need Psychic on Slowbro, but I still suggest it because Toxicroak is still a pain for this team, and with it you just outright kill it. It also helps to break Tentacruel's sub, fight Gyarados, hit Terrakion harder, and 1HKO Cloyster.
-Speed creep a little on Amoonguss and Slowbro, like 8 speed, to outspeed opposing Amoonguss, Forretress, and Slowbro at critical moments.
-Heal Bell is kinda meh on Celebi, with Chansey and Heatran you already have solid status absorbers, I would run Baton Pass or Reflect, to not be such pursuit bait.

I hope I helped a bit, good luck man.

Thanks a a lot. I've made the following changes:

Replaced Chansey with Blissey
Set:
Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Spd / 252 SDef
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Replaced Stun Spore with Clear Smog on Amoongus
Set:
Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 24 SAtk / 228 SDef / 8 Spd
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Clear Smog

Replaced Wil-O-Wisp with Roar on Heatran
Set:
Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spd
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Roar

Replaced Celebi with Forretress
Set:
Forretress @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 Atk
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball

Of course, I've made the EV changes to Skarmory, Amoongus, and Slowbro. I'll play around with this set longer. Thanks again.

My only problem with the changes you made is the Blissey evs, currently your Blissey is stupidly frail to physical attacks, pursuit from Scizor almost 1HKOs. I suggest a spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD Calm, which literally takes half the physical damage from attacks, turning that almost 1HKO from pursuit, into a 2-3HKO.

Also, Earthquake Forretress is just something to toy with, if it doesn't pan out, free free to use other moves or even another Pokemon in it's place.

good luck man

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)