Wobbly Hits (Gen V OU team, featuring wobbuffet)

So, after a quite large hiatus, I came back to Gen V OU to see not much has changed. As such, I've decided to make a new team to see if I can adapt my playstyle, from a mix of Stallish and HO to a more calm, pacient and annoying style. Plus, I've always wanted to use certain mons...

Team Building

So, for nothing to have changed, it means the highest threats are still alive and kickin. Latios, Starmie, Rotoms and Sand Mons are still running rampant, plus all the drizzle and drought teams. Since i didn't want superpowered fire and water moves being aimed at me constantly, I've decided to go with a Sandstorm team, again. As such, my favourite mon, Tyranitar, is back on full force! Choice Band, of course, I want this thing to hit hard as hell!

Ok, lead and revenge killer out of the way, no more Latis will threaten this team! Now, I wanted some entry hazards to help with the sweeping. At first I ued Ferrothorn, but then I've decided to use a Forretress since it can also rapid spin.

Now, with a physical wall all set, time to choose the attackers! First and foremost, a Fast mon with good typing, an oldie from all the previous gens, Starmie. BoltBeam plus Hydro Pump are increadible, and recover aids in healing off the LO damage.

Now, even though i already have Tyranitar, Another Physical attacker is needed, I've tempered with Terrakion first, and his double dance set, and later one i went with Rock Polish only, but it always felt inferior to Excadrill.

Allright, no more Physical attackers to deal with, now to choose the one to aid Starmie in it's special business. Infernape, Landorus, Tornados, Rotom, heatran and Lati@s all came and went away realively fast, but one stood out, Thundurus and it's nasty plot set, one mon i've never used before but always wanted to. NP plus the three regular attacks are the set i've chosen.

Time to choose the final member. I wanted it to be a team player, easening it's mate's set ups and blocking special hits at the same time. One mon stood out: Wobbufet. One of the tiniest movepools around, but it has everything it needs (but memento). CounterCoat, Destiny Bond, Encore. Four moves that spell doom to almost every mon. I used a Special defensive version.

But something was still missing. Yeah, Forretress was nice and all, but it lacked a real offensive move and reliable recovery, plus some extra resistences. Enter another of my favourite mons, Ferrothorn. Leech Seed, Power Whip, Thunder Wave and Spikes. I've decided against Stealth Rock because more often than not, the mons that gave me trouble resisted Stealth rock and were quite weak to spikes. Ferrothorn also became specially defensive, and wobbuffet physically defensive.

In Depth

Alexander (Tyranitar) (M) @ Choice Band Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Crunch

Brutal in design, defence and offensive prowess, Tyranitar has been at the peak of competitive battling ever since it's release. And no wonder though, Amazing movepool, even more amazing stats. Pursuit catchest fleeing pokemons, most natably Lati@s and Starmie, though other mons can also be caugh, like rotoms and weakened mons. Crunch is a reliable Stab, bound to become stronger each turn due to Defence drops. Stone Edge gives that extra power, at the expense of accuracy, which more often than not can screw you over. Superpower Lets Tyra defeat other Tyranitars, non boosted non LO excadrill, Heatran and is in general a great move.

Ali (Thundurus) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This guy eats faces. Nasty Plot raises it's already great SpA stat to unspeakable heighs, and with near perfect coverage in Thunderbolt, HP Ice and Focus Miss, no non scarved, non ice shard and slower mons can stand in it's way. It's just that good. Hell, even Blissey is 2HKO'd by +2 Focus miss, or OHKO'd if all the layers of spikes are up. Trully a phenomenal beast.

Spikeberry (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 204 HP / 52 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Power Whip

Ferrothorn is the awesome pokemon we all know, love and hate to face. His amazing typing gives him a sleugh of handfull resistences (like grass and water) and only 2 weaknesses, which are mdoeratly handled by my team (fire not-so-much). I loike to thunderwave the switch in just to scout what it is, and only then do I Leech Seed and Spike stack. Speaking of which, I've found spikes more usefull than stealth rocks for my team, since most mons that really give me trouble like virizion and Terrakion/Excadrill are weaker to spikes than to Stealth Rock. Power Whip is great for Gastrodons, Quagsires, Swamperts and the like.

Legretta (Excadrill) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Frustration
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide

Excadrill. It has been nominated so many times it's ridiculous. To good reason though, Good ability, great attack stat and good STAB gives him all he ever needs (but a fire move that is). Swords Dance boosts it's already great attack and Earthquake, Frustration and R Slide take advantage of it. I'm still quite split on using Brick break instead of Rock Slide, since i only use Rock Slide on things like Urugamoso 8important) and Skarmory (when i have no other alternative). I've used a Terrakion before, but it either was too fast and weak~ish or Slow~ish and strong, even though he had better stabs. Still, it is a great revenge killer and an even better set-up sweeper.

StillOU (Starmie) @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
- Recover
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Aaah, I'm a fan of the classics. Starmie is one of the onyl two pokemon to be constantly OU throughout all the 5 gens. And no wonder why! Acceptable defences, BoltBeam and STAB Hydro Pump, Rapid spin, recover, this gal has it all! Not to mention it's blistering speed and acceptable SpA. It has earned it's spot numerous times, and is yet to disapoint.

Wobblette (Wobbuffet) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Mirror Coat
- Counter
- Destiny Bond
- Encore

This guy is currently UU. Can I ask why? Amazing HP STAT, the best ability in the game and the movepool to take advantage of it. It can straight up revenge or cripple most pokemons. Even in it's last strokes, it still can Destiny bond you, and he'll go down with you. But it's best asset is, without a doubt, encore. Encore enables a lot of set ups, and Excadrill and Thundurus sure can take advantage of it. But that ain't all, it can not only stop oponent set ups, it can lock it's counters! Gliscor is giving Exca a hard time, hey there Wobba! Blissey? pff, just encore it and either a)Switch Tyra in to pursuit it's fleeing foe or b) Counter it's Sismic Tosses. It's a win/win!

Exportable below:

Alexander (Tyranitar) (M) @ Choice Band Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Crunch
Ali (Thundurus) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Prankster
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Wobblette (Wobbuffet) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Mirror Coat
- Counter
- Destiny Bond
- Encore
Spikeberry (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 204 HP / 52 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Power Whip
Legretta (Excadrill) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Frustration
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide
StillOU (Starmie) @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
- Recover
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

So, what do you guys think of this new team?

You should at least say how Ferrothorn and Excadrill fit into your team. I would expand their descriptions before good ol' Faladran or Bloo locks this.

Hi Demoli, I have a few suggestions for this team.

I see a Hydreigon weakness here. Sure Tyranitar can whoop it, but it can't outspeed it and a specs surf can hurt. I would get rid of Frustration on Excadrill and replace it with X-Scissor to provide better coverage.

Wobbuffet is way to slow to really use Destiny Bond, you should have Safeguard instead, since none of your Pokemon really enjoy taking status.

So, in answer of the points raised:

Hydreigon: This is a legitimate threat, but i have plans for it. First, if it's choice, i scout with ferrothorn. If it prediscts and uses Focus Blast/Fire move, Wobbuffet can take it down just fine. Scarf variants are not strong enough to OHKO Tyra (or KO if he's with more than half of his health), which can KO back with both Superpower and Stone Edge, plus Excadrill outspeeds and takes a huge chunk from it, and OHKO's if it attacks first. I'm also indecise on either using Brick Break or X-scissor, both have their uses and when i choose one, an opponent that needed the other appears. If Drei isn't scarfed, Starmie outspeeds, Thundurus outspeeds, Exca outspeeds.

Why Destiny Bond: With the nerfing of encore, tickle suddenly isn't as good: it's either using that turn for lowering it's defence one point or switching to a sweeper. Destiny Bond is great when people think "hey, since it's at such low health, i'll just set up on him". I just DB them, and they boost again so they don't loose a sweeper. Encore locks them in that follow up turn, and i switch to the appropriate counter. It also helps to easen the prediction on certain mons, specially mixed like Infernape and Lucario.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)