Xatu GP [2/2]

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
184 HP / 148 Def / 176 Spe Timid takes physical hits a pretty good amount better than the current spread does at the cost of taking special hits slightly less well. Vileplume's Sludge Bomb still rarely 2HKOs unless it poisons, and you easily 3HKO physically defensive sets with Heat Wave even after a few rounds of Black Sludge recovery.
200 HP / 132 Def / 176 Spe only makes physical hits stronger by ~0.3%, but puts Xatu at a much more sensible Leftovers number (which can be pretty relevant for Calm Mind Xatus) as opposed to a random HP number with 184 EVs @_@.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
why does the alternative spread have a timid nature for positive 70s, theres like 4 relevant ones i can think of and they almost always run attack boosting natures. Bold would still outspeed those and maintain even more physical bulk lol

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Helmet should probably be first on pivot, it's the only item I ever use personally.

I think Night Shade should be replaced with something too since it's pretty situational, probably Giga Drain or w/e since it lets it deal with Toad and Donner way better. Mention Heat Wave somewhere too for Pawniard and Ferroseed.

Talk about specific reasons why Helmet is useful, everyone knows that it "does 1/6 damage on contact"

In Set Details mention Magic Bounce deflects hazards
  • Magic Bounce bounces back status moves, like Toxic and Whirlwind which allows it to boost without the fear of being crippled by status or phazed, but one must note that Magic Bounce doesn't stop moves with indirect secondary chances to status such as Scald or Sludge Bomb
That's not relevant to why Magic Bounce is useful, remove it

In C&C, just combine Rock-, Ice-, and Electric-types into "super effective coverage." Change Psychic-types to Calm Mind Psychic-types because they need CM to beat Xatu. Also add a section for strong attackers, since Xatu isn't that bulky it's easy to force out with things like Typh

Be sure to remove any mentions of banned mons too

TheEpicBro

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
For the first set's Moves, talk about them in the order they're listed on the set. Psychic > Roost > TWave > Toxic > Giga > U-turn > other. Same thing with the second, move the bullet about Stored Power to the bottom.

There's one mention of Virizion in Usage Tips for CM so be sure to remove it

QC 1/3 TheEpicBro

Also again, just post in the thread when you update it so all of QC can know

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I pretty much never see Thunder Wave or Toxic on Xatu. I find they're both inferior to actual coverage to hit most hazard setters and most of the Pokemon that Xatu beats in general. Anything you don't beat with your selected coverage you can usually U-turn against, and the types of teams to run Xatu will carry something to threaten whatever you can't beat (bulky Psychic-types -> Scyther, Ferroseed -> Typhlosion). It also likes Psyshock for Hariyama. The best set order in my opinion is something like:

U-turn
Psychic / Psyshock
Roost
Giga Drain / Heat Wave

I wouldn't mention Night Shade anywhere but in OO. Like I mentioned above, anything that you can't hit with your coverage you can U-turn on.

I'd switch the spreads for this set. The slower spread generally works better for the pivot set because it gives Xatu a slower U-turn, which is important on offense. You can mention the current spread in Set Details as an option in case you're pretty Sawk weak and need a more reliable check.

Mention Colbur Berry in Set Details for the Pivot set as a way to make Xatu a more reliable Fighting-type check. It also keeps it from being absolutely boned by the occasional CB Sneasel's Pursuit (does roughly 55-60% on the switch).

In Usage Tips, you say that most Stealth Rock setters are Rock-type, but that's far from true. The only common Rock-type Stealth Rock setters in NU are Archeops and Rhydon, with the occasional Crustle or Regirock as well. Crustle is iffy, but you can U-turn on it to break its Sturdy and then go into something that can OHKO it. Archeops beats it, and Rhydon is also iffy because it comes down to Rock Blast rolls, and if you live, you can do a ton to it with Giga Drain. Just mention that many Stealth Rock setters carry coverage that can hit Xatu hard and to watch out when you bring it in on them.

Defensive Granbull isn't really a good partner for pivot Xatu because it should be coming in to deflect status and then U-turning to a partner almost immediately afterwards. Pivot Xatu should mostly be used on offensive/balanced teams, and defensive Granbull is one of the biggest momentum shitters in NU.

Stored Power mention on the CM set should just be OO. It's only good on SmashPass. Signal Beam is pretty much only used to make you less Malamar weak. Mention Giga Drain to beat Quagsire.

Garbodor does threaten Xatu because it does an asston with Gunk Shot. Cut the point about Dragon Tail Lickilicky because that shit is irrelevant.

You mention a ton in Usage Tips for the Calm Mind set that you should only set up when you can sweep, but that's absolutely not the case. CM Xatu is rarely going to sweep because its typing is sketchy and it isn't that bulky. You should be using CM Xatu either to shit all over stall or to break through the Pokemon that it checks. Against offense where you'll find most of these things that you keep saying need to be eliminated in order to sweep, you're never going to sweep because you're never going to get the opportunity to set up.

"Ramparados, Electivire, Jynx and Rotom are some of the few Pokemon that carry super effective moves..."
It's weak to Dark, Ghost, Ice, Rock, and Electric. Plenty of Pokemon carry super effective moves against it, and Rampardos and Electivire are odd choices of examples.

Punchshroom

In Usage Tips, you say that most Stealth Rock setters are Rock-type, but that's far from true. The only common Rock-type Stealth Rock setters in NU are Archeops and Rhydon, with the occasional Crustle or Regirock as well.
I'd like to bring up Carracosta (and possibly Golem?) as even more Rock-type SR setters.

Edit: hollywood they're more relevant than Regirock at least >.>

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
TheEpicBro

• Psyshock is a similar STAB, but hits opponents from the Defense stat as opposed to the Special Defense stat
Add here what pokemon that are hit on their weaker defense as to why you'd run psyshock, such as hariyama, mantine, and cryogonal.
Do this in the second set's moves section as well.
  • Giga Drain is used to KO common SR setters like Seismitoad and Rhydon, while also being able to restore health
You're not KOing these mons lol, it's just more or less providing coverage on them.
0 SpA Xatu Giga Drain vs. 200 HP / 252+ SpD Seismitoad: 180-216 (44.8 - 53.8%) -- 33.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery [spdef toad is much better rn imo]
0 SpA Xatu Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 180-212 (43.4 - 51.2%) -- 45.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • Heat Wave is a solid option to do serious damage to Pawniard and Ferroseed
Mawile and Klinklang too. Most notably, it breaks Klinklang's substitutes.
  • Gurdurr and Sawk are good partners, as Xatu has trouble with Dark, Rock and Ice-Types, such as Liepard, Sneasel, Pawniard, which can all KO it without much trouble
In this line, add that Sturdy Sawk appreciates xatu deterring entry hazards for it to be at full HP. Do this in second sets team options as well.
  • Giga Drain is an option to beat Quagsire
Also it targets Rhydon, but seismitoad isnt as important here since you can easily plow through it with a boosted psyshock.

In the CM set, Stored Power is mentioned a few times yet it is in OO. I don't have any qualms with it having a moves mention but just dont have it in 2 places - pick one.
  • Weezing easily tanks any physical move thrown at Xatu and can respond with Will-O-Wisp, while Xatu can take any Psychic-Type attacks aimed at it.
Weezing has great physical bulk and all, but it's not the "end all be all" stop to physical attackers.
The next statement is bothering me a bit. Yes, Xatu can take any psychic-type attack aimed at it, but cm xatu loses to some of the other major bulky cm psychics like uxie and musharna, so phrase that accordingly.

**Dark-types**: Pawniard, Liepard, Sneasel, and Cacturne can KO with STAB Dark-type moves and threaten with Pursuit, while Sucker Punch alleviates any speed problems
Note that they have to be wary when switching in as all but pawniard are hit hard by u-turn, and that is smacked by heat wave anyways.

Expand on C&C in general as well, it's a bit skimpy atm.

Tag me back when you've done this and I'll probably stamp, xatu is a pretty important mon and should get finished up asap.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
  • 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe with a Bold nature allows Xatu to outspeed neutral-natured Base 70s and keeps Xatu relatively bulky
List examples of base 70 mons. There's only 2 relevant ones iirc but the point stands. Samurott and Ludicolo btw.
  • Gorebyss has accept to Shell Smash+Baton Pass, and since Xatu can't be phazed out or crippled with Paralysis and has access to a ridiculously powerful Stored Power, they make good partners
It can't be phased by roar but dragon tail exists so reword accordingly.

I don't like weezing as a teammate, it doesn't have that many notable qualities that make it partner well and it makes you weaker to cm psyshock psychics like uxie and Musharna. Remove it.

This has come a very long way from the beginning, good job.

Do this and you have QC 2/3

Last edited:

Deej Dy

Verified Ladder Scurb 乁( ◔ ౪◔)ㄏ
After a long time of no posts I'd just like to mention that for CM varients I would definitely suggest 200hp 252 Bold and 56 speed to outspeed max speed base 70's and still take a large amount of physical hits namely Hariyama and Sneasel knock offs. Also you recover more health from Giga drain.

Punchshroom

After a long time of no posts I'd just like to mention that for CM varients I would definitely suggest 200hp 252 Bold and 56 speed to outspeed max speed base 70's and still take a large amount of physical hits namely Hariyama and Sneasel knock offs. Also you recover more health from Giga drain.
Would just like to point out that the increased physical bulk is so miniscule it almost never comes into play.

252+ Atk Hariyama Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Xatu: 210-248 (62.8 - 74.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Hariyama Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 200 HP / 252+ Def Xatu: 198-234 (61.6 - 72.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Meanwhile having more HP means taking hits better in general, most notably weaker special attacks that Xatu can sponge after Calm Minds. 252 HP is still the superior spread.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Tagging Punchshroom

Everything's been implemented/changed.
Remove / replace Seismitoad mentions, add magneton as heat wave target, and update to new format please.

Do what QQ said as well.
Also by trapping steel types xatu would have less necessity for heat wave on its moveset, and thus can run like Giga drain or signal beam.

Last edited:

Deej Dy

Verified Ladder Scurb 乁( ◔ ౪◔)ㄏ
Aight, if ima check could you please swap to 200 hp and 252+ defence? this ensures that Xatu can still swap in 4 times on rocks and still has a large amount of physical bulk (or at least make the HP EVs an odd number)

Also list Colburr berry as a slash with Leftovers and rocky helmet. In my experience colburr is actually the most common of all of the items.
I would also mention that other CM psychics (mushy and uxie both have larger bulk) beat it and maybe mention that it can beat mega audino 1v1

Also get rid of the old or weird stuff like mentioning luxray or dragalge and stuff. Make sure everything is up to date. When you do I'll add my QC.

T-Wave is worth more than an OO mention imo. It actually lets you beat stuff like HP Ice lilligant and prevents other stuff like CM uxie from just getting up a free Calm Mind on Xatu. I honestly think it deserves a slash alongside giga/heat wave but Im fine with it just being a moves mention as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)