Resource XY NU Viability Ranking

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion, Garbodar---->A-

Reasoning: Garbodar is far and above the best toxic spikes and spikes stacker in the entire tier, besides accelgor, who is OK at spikes, and Ferroseed, which is not as fast as Garbodar, and doesn't get toxic spikes. Not just having great typing in mono-poison, having stab gunk shot, and also access to black sludge which can nullify trick/switcheroo, unlike ferroseed, but it also gets a great ability in aftermath and not as bad bulk as accelgor at 80/82/82. For that reason, I thin Garbodar should be promoted to A-.

EDIT: You guys also might have to think about Pangoro, because of Knock Off, Drain Punch, and Gunk Shot from the ORAS tutors. But that's speculation. lol that sounded like I was selling something
You're forgetting about crustle who has spikes AND rocks and can shell smash (lol who even uses shell smash on it though). Crustle is still just as good on offense as garbodor is on balance and having both rocks and spikes is what makes it stand out. Another really good spikes stacker is qwilfish, it has some good abilities and great speed for a stacker meaning it can taunt all other non-mental herb spikes stackers in the tier before they set up, bar accelgor. Qwilfish is also quite a versatile pokemon, all of its abilities are useful and can play multiple niches for your team allowing you to run multiple sets to trick your opponent. Qwilfish also has a great movepool and works a lot better on hyper offense than garbodor does. Seriously though, this thing is more versatile than people give it credit for. It can be an SD set, lead with explosion or destiny bond, Defensive with T-wave and scald or even a swift swim rain check since it outspeeds kabutops and can ohko ludicolo (don't quote me on that) with a jab to the dome.

Moral of the story: Garbodor is not the best spikes stacker at all. All the stackers of the tier play very different roles and thus there really can't be the best one. Garb is better on balance/bulky offense while qwil is better on hyper offense and fills more of a niche than other stackers.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
With the conclusion of XY this thread is being locked to preserve and reflect what type of meta XY was. Soulgazer will be updating this thread and will make a post with the changes that have been suggested up until this point so as to have a more accurate viability rankings. We will be creating a new viability rankings for ORAS and it will be posted once the meta has stabilized a bit. The reason for creating a new one and leaving this one as is, is because there is a possibility that XY might become a game type in tournaments and rather then having a moderator go through the threads history it will just be easier to create a new one. Its been fun XY, looking forward to ORAS.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
OK here's the final update!

Uxie to S
Kangaskhan to S
Sceptile to A+
Garbodor to A
Scyther to A
Ludicolo to A-
Exeggutor to A-
Sawk stays A-
Gurdurr stays A-
Kabutops to A-
Ferroseed to A-
Dragalge to A-
Musharna to A-
Vivillon to B+
Cacturne to B+
Pangoro to B+
Accelgor to B
Electivire to B-
Torterra in B-
Probopass to B-
Grumpig to C+
Prinplup to C+
Granbull to C+
Kricketune to C+
Linoone to C+
Simipour to C+
Gogoat to C
Leavanny to C
Drifblim to C-
Shedinja to C-
Miltank to C-
Monferno to D+
Frillish to D+
Wigglytuff to D+
Murkrow to D

edit:

Scraggy from unlisted to D+ (from Swagalge, Zeb and I agree that it deserves to be ranked)

If you still want to argue about something to go up or down in the XY Viability Rankings, you can PM me (you will need a really good argument though) and I will look into it.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Because a lot of people are very fussy about some of the changes, let me offer a rundown of why some of them were made.

Uxie to S
I haven't heard anything about this one, but because it's a move up to S-rank, it's probably worth talking about it anyways. Uxie is one of the most dominating defensive Pokemon in NU. It has a wide variety of sets, including the incredibly deadly SubCM, support, weather starter, Choice Scarf (this set is good I swear), and dual screens. SubCM is the set it is by far most known for. There's really not much that most balanced and defensive teams can do to beat SubCM Uxie, and even though it isn't as effective against hyper offense, its sheer bulk allows it to check the opposing team moreso than clean it. Support Uxie is also really, really good. It offers Stealth Rock support and can set it up multiple times throughout the match, and it is fantastic at gaining momentum for balanced teams with U-turn. Even better, Yawn + U-turn is either guaranteed momentum or a way to put something to sleep. No matter what the opponent does in those situations, you'll be happy. Pretty much no matter what your team is and which set you pick, adding Uxie to it will probably make it better.

Kangaskhan to S
Same with Uxie, I don't think I've heard anyone complain about this decision. Kangaskhan is really one-dimensional, but it works so well that it doesn't really matter. Scrappy Fake Out + Sucker Punch can revenge most of the metagame, especially with Toxic Spikes up, and Double-Edge does tons to pretty much everything but Ferroseed, Steelix, and Rhydon. Even better, you can run coverage for all of these Pokemon. Aqua Tail bones Rhydon and does solid damage to Steelix, and Fire Punch does a ton to Ferroseed, making these sets great lures to those checks. If you're weak to (insert setup sweeper not named Carracosta, Rain Kabutops, or Klinklang), adding Kangaskhan to your team will probably make you not-weak to it.

Garbodor to A
Garbodor was originally proposed for A-, but A rank was looking really empty with a lot of things that got worse dropping down to A-. Garbodor and Cryogonal were the only two that Soulgazer and I felt could use a bump up from A- to A, but we both agreed that Garbodor's rise was a lot more obvious and went ahead and did it. Garbodor is one of the only good defensive Spikers in the tier, and it is by far the single best among them. It's also a fantastic check to a lot of scary Pokemon thanks to its Poison typing, Rocky Helmet, and Aftermath. Mediocre offenses and being setup fodder for some Pokemon hold it back a bit, but it's still definitely solid enough to be in A rank.

Granbull to C+
This is the major controversial change. People saw Granbull leave B and flipped out, and I'm really not sure why. Granbull is frankly a pretty mediocre Pokemon. Its bulk is pretty good, especially with Intimidate, and its typing is really nice in NU. But that's about all it has going for it. Even with very few Fairy-types in NU, Granbull still faces competition with others because of its mediocre support capabilities. Slurpuff has an immunity to sleep and reliable recovery that can be passed to teammates in addition to Aromatherapy, which makes it pretty much eclipse Granbull as a support Pokemon. Togetic doesn't like Knock Off, but aside from that, it's pretty much entirely superior to Granbull. Like Granbull, Togetic has Thunder Wave and Heal Bell, and unlike Granbull, it also has reliable recovery, Defog, and NastyPass. Between its competition with other defensive Fairy-types and its reliance on support in order to be really effective, Granbull just isn't a very good option in the XY metagame. It's still a fine Pokemon, which is why it's still in C+. But it's not as good as anything in B rank would imply.

Miltank to C-
Not even going in depth on this one because it has been fought millions of times in this thread. Miltank is mediocre and should honestly be D rank, but we settled for C- anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)