Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
can anyone help me out w a couple tradebacks this evening? I don't want to lose my blazekenite and a couple other pokes on my restart. I have quite a few shinies mega stones and earlier gen legendaries if you are looking for something in return. pm me!

Would it be a waste of time to train an Inner Focus Dragonite? I don't have access to Multiscale, unfortunately.
My friend had an Inner Focus Dragonite. After some testing, I can say with confidence that it would be a waste of time to use Inner Focus Dragonite in OU. I mean at that point, you might as well be using Dragon Dance Charizard X/Haxorus/Salamence.

Would it be a waste of time to train an Inner Focus Dragonite? I don't have access to Multiscale, unfortunately.
Dnite pretty much needs a DD to do meaningful stuff, and multiscale lets it do that by tanking even ice moves. I'd say if you have nothing else to work on, go for it, and replace it with a multiscale one as soon as you get access. But if you do have other things to train, train those.

So I have no one to battle and I can't test these, but my question is pertinant to the current meta. Do Power swap, Guard swap and psych up hit through substitute?

I was considering how to counter BP teams and realized this may be the solution: to use thier stats against them. But that of course only works if these hit through sub. I know already that heart swap hits through, but that's only learnable by manaphy, so if thats the only one that can hit through a sub my solution fails.

This has been bugging me, but does Psyshock work off of the base Defense stat? Like if you use Psyshock on a Furfrou will it disregard Fur Coat. And is it like that with boosts? Like Psyshock vs. +0 = Psyshock vs. +2?

So I have no one to battle and I can't test these, but my question is pertinant to the current meta. Do Power swap, Guard swap and psych up hit through substitute?

I was considering how to counter BP teams and realized this may be the solution: to use thier stats against them. But that of course only works if these hit through sub. I know already that heart swap hits through, but that's only learnable by manaphy, so if thats the only one that can hit through a sub my solution fails.
I wasn't going to respond to you because I don't have a definite answer, but since nobody else has given you an answer I'll give you my speculation. The moves ignored sub in BW. Additionally, I'd think if heart swap ignores subs, then probably the other "swap" moves do as well. But yeah, never tried it so I can't really say.

This has been bugging me, but does Psyshock work off of the base Defense stat? Like if you use Psyshock on a Furfrou will it disregard Fur Coat. And is it like that with boosts? Like Psyshock vs. +0 = Psyshock vs. +2?
Psyshock is a special attack that uses the opponent's defense stat in calculation. Since fur coat "halves damage from physical moves" I would guess it does not affect psyshock. Especially because I don't think fur coat affects Furfrou's defense stat. I'm not sure though as I haven't actually tried it.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the boosts. If the opponent has physical defense boosts psyshock will do less damage. That I do know for sure.

I wasn't going to respond to you because I don't have a definite answer, but since nobody else has given you an answer I'll give you my speculation. The moves ignored sub in BW. Additionally, I'd think if heart swap ignores subs, then probably the other "swap" moves do as well. But yeah, never tried it so I can't really say.

Psyshock is a special attack that uses the opponent's defense stat in calculation. Since fur coat "halves damage from physical moves" I would guess it does not affect psyshock. Especially because I don't think fur coat affects Furfrou's defense stat. I'm not sure though as I haven't actually tried it.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the boosts. If the opponent has physical defense boosts psyshock will do less damage. That I do know for sure.
I mean by like will Psyshock do the same amount to an opponent with +0 as to the same opponent at +2 Defense?

I mean by like will Psyshock do the same amount to an opponent with +0 as to the same opponent at +2 Defense?
No, because stat boosts count as increasing the stat. So at +2 physical defense, the pokemon has twice the amount of defense, so psyshock will do half as much to it.

No, because stat boosts count as increasing the stat. So at +2 physical defense, the pokemon has twice the amount of defense, so psyshock will do half as much to it.
Ok, so Fur Coat does not affect Psyshock? Here's what the damage calc says:

252 SpA Azelf Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Furfrou: 126-148 (35.5 - 41.8%) -- 86.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Azelf Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Furfrou: 63-74 (17.7 - 20.9%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery

But it isn't always accurate...

Ok, so Fur Coat does not affect Psyshock? Here's what the damage calc says:

252 SpA Azelf Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Furfrou: 126-148 (35.5 - 41.8%) -- 86.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Azelf Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Furfrou: 63-74 (17.7 - 20.9%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery

But it isn't always accurate...
I wasn't sure about fur coat. I'd go with the damage calculator over me. I AM sure, though, about physical defense stat ups. (e.g., from iron defense)

If it worked in gen five, then theres a high probability that th mechanics haven't been changed. Thank you for your input, time to tese my hypothesis against some BP teams...

Who would be good teammates for a Double Dragons team with Garchomp and Dragonite? I mainly battle over Wifi (but imagine Singles 6v6), and I probably won't be able to obtain legendaries.

I figure I'll use pretty standard sets:

Garchomp @ Life orb
Rough Skin
4 HP/252 Att/252 Spd
Outrage/Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Fire Fang
Swords Dance

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Multiscale
Bulky Spread?
Dragon Dance
Outrage
Extreme Speed
Fire Punch/Earthquake/Roost

Who can I add to take the Ice moves besides Heatran (and other legends)?
Who can I add to deal with Fairies?

Who would be good teammates for a Double Dragons team with Garchomp and Dragonite? I mainly battle over Wifi (but imagine Singles 6v6), and I probably won't be able to obtain legendaries.
I figure I'll use pretty standard sets:
Garchomp @ Life orb
Rough Skin
4 HP/252 Att/252 Spd
Outrage/Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Fire Fang
Swords Dance
Dragonite @ Leftovers
Multiscale
Bulky Spread?
Dragon Dance
Outrage
Extreme Speed
Fire Punch/Earthquake/Roost
Who can I add to take the Ice moves besides Heatran (and other legends)?
Who can I add to deal with Fairies?
You might try Rotom (Wash or Oven) or M-Venusaur. Venusaur can take some Ice hits and can squash one of your biggest threats in Azumarill, and those two Rotom forms can crap all over most of the threatening Ice users that come to mind, especially Mamoswine.

Other fairies are a bit less of a threat than Azu, because they tend to be fairly physically scrawny. Chomp especially can wreck anything fairy-typed with a single Earthquake after an SD, though Azu will still rip a chunk off of him with priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)