Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just have a question. Why is Mega Kangaskhan banned? I mean, I just don't see how good it is. I have actually found all the Mega Kangaskhan's I've faced to be pretty easy to beat. I don't know if it's because they didn't train it well, but I still don't see how people think it's strong enough to be banned and not just be placed in OU. One of the easiest counters to it is Aegislash, one of the most common Pokemon found in Wi-fi battles. Aegislash nullifies Power-up Punch and any of its STAB normal moves including Fake Out and Return. All you have to do when an opponent brings out Kangaskhan is send out Aegislash to eat up the incoming Fake Out or Power-Up Punch, use Swords Dance (They might try and Sucker Punch, which wouldn't work) and then use Sacred Sword. Kangaskhan is faster, which is actually better for you because Aegislash will take the the Sucker Punch in defense form, meaning it will probably live the attack. Sacred Sword would then finish it off.

I just have a question. Why is Mega Kangaskhan banned? I mean, I just don't see how good it is. I have actually found all the Mega Kangaskhan's I've faced to be pretty easy to beat. I don't know if it's because they didn't train it well, but I still don't see how people think it's strong enough to be banned and not just be placed in OU. One of the easiest counters to it is Aegislash, one of the most common Pokemon found in Wi-fi battles. Aegislash nullifies Power-up Punch and any of its STAB normal moves including Fake Out and Return. All you have to do when an opponent brings out Kangaskhan is send out Aegislash to eat up the incoming Fake Out or Power-Up Punch, use Swords Dance (They might try and Sucker Punch, which wouldn't work) and then use Sacred Sword. Kangaskhan is faster, which is actually better for you because Aegislash will take the attack in defense form, meaning it will probably live the attack. Sacred Sword would then finish it off.
Aegislash doesn't counter mega Kangaskhan that good because Earthquake makes it just a check as it 2 hit KO's when Aegislash is in shield form. Also here is the reason Kangaskhanite was banned to Ubers: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/kangaskhanite-is-now-banned-to-ubers.3495351/

Aegislash doesn't counter mega Kangaskhan that good because Earthquake makes it just a check as it 2 hit KO's when Aegislash is in shield form. Also here is the reason Kangaskhanite was banned to Ubers: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/kangaskhanite-is-now-banned-to-ubers.3495351/
In addition, all Kangaskhan carry either Crunch or Earthquake, so there's no way Aegislash is getting past it without some ridiculous mindgames. Also, SD Aegi is an absolutely terrible set, so half the reason you stated that it beat Kangaskhan doesn't even apply.

In addition, all Kangaskhan carry either Crunch or Earthquake, so there's no way Aegislash is getting past it without some ridiculous mindgames. Also, SD Aegi is an absolutely terrible set, so half the reason you stated that it beat Kangaskhan doesn't even apply.
True to all of that. Mega Kangaskhan also forced a lot of people to use mediocre OU Pokemon just to counter Kangaskhan like Sableye ( He is not bad though ) and Spiritomb. Also because of mega Kangaskhan Rocky helmet became a popular choice on some Pokemon just to let it kill himself.

How is SD bad? I have found it to be perfect for me. I use the Weakness Policy on it so my Aegislash can tear through most Pokemon when they make the mistake of using a super effective move.

SD first round.
Second round Sacred Sword (Most Pokemon will try and hit it with a SE move and activate WP, this means Crunch or Earth for Kangaskhan) and boom, Aegislash can wreck havoc. Even Shadow Sneak can take down a Pokemon to about half HP after a SD and WP boost.

So I can pretty much take down a Mega Kangaskhan in two turns. First round SD and they might try and Fake-Out or Power-Up Punch (Assuming I switched in) second round I Sacred Sword. Kangaskhan will most likely Earth or Crunch and because its faster, will activate Weakness Policy, and boom, Sacred Sword kills it.

How is SD bad? I have found it to be perfect for me. I use the Weakness Policy on it so my Aegislash can tear through most Pokemon when they make the mistake of using a super effective move.

SD first round.
Second round Sacred Sword (Most Pokemon will try and hit it with a SE move and activate WP, this means Crunch or Earth for Kangaskhan) and boom, Aegislash can wreck havoc. Even Shadow Sneak can take down a Pokemon to about half HP after a SD and WP boost.

So I can pretty much take down a Mega Kangaskhan in two turns. First round SD and they might try and Fake-Out or Power-Up Punch (Assuming I switched in) second round I Sacred Sword. Kangaskhan will most likely Earth or Crunch and because its faster, will activate Weakness Policy, and boom, Sacred Sword kills it.
I would agree with you if we were talking about the 1v1 ladder. But in 6v6, individual 1v1 scenarios don't matter much in terms of determining what counters what. Here's what would actually happen:

Round 1: Megakhan predicts the switch into Aegis, goes EQ. Nails Aegis for 75%+. WP Activates.
Round 2: Megakhan finishes the job with another EQ. WP doesn't matter because Megakhan is immune to shadow sneak.

A counter would have to be something like Physically Defensive Zapdos to Mega Pinsir. It comes in, takes hardly any damage (M-Pinsir's return is just a 0.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery), and OHKO back with thunderbolt. So at best, Aegis is a check to Megakhan. And when it comes down to it, that's the whole reason it's overpowered: because it has no proper counters. If you don't have a proper counter, that means something on your opponents team has to get KOd just so you can bring in a revenge killer, and even then the Megakhan switches out and the whole process repeats.

(Personally, I don't even consider Rocky Helmet Ferrothorn, one of the main pokemon run to combat Megakhan, to be a real answer, because if Megakhan goes Power Up Punch on the switch in, Ferro takes enough damage that a +2 Parental Bond earthquake will KO on the next turn without triggering iron barbs/rocky helmet. Essentially all there is, then, is prankster sableye to come in and burn it.)

The Swords Dance set is generally inferior to the mixed set (which can still run WP, and can actually take advantage of both boosts) because King's Shield leaves Aegis vulnerable to WoW burns which are flying around the tier like crazy, not to mention scalds, and it leaves Aegislash completely countered by certain physical walls like Hippowdon. Shadow Ball is the most common move on Aegis after King's Shield for a reason.

Is there a concensus on where to go for EXP? Is there a single best place to go in order to get your Pokemon level 100 ASAP? So far I'm using Battle Chateau with Black Wrist, but while it gives a lot of money, Audino girls aren't spawning quick enough for me.

And then, is it worth it to get the Pokeamie EXP boost, or does the time you spend on it wasted when you could EXP grind instead?

Is there a concensus on where to go for EXP? Is there a single best place to go in order to get your Pokemon level 100 ASAP? So far I'm using Battle Chateau with Black Wrist, but while it gives a lot of money, Audino girls aren't spawning quick enough for me.

And then, is it worth it to get the Pokeamie EXP boost, or does the time you spend on it wasted when you could EXP grind instead?
Assuming you talk about X and Y these are some useful places I found for grinding:
Cafe le Wow has level 60 - 70 Pokemon and also gives a lot of money. The Audino there also gives good xp. Use an XP point power before you go in for even more experience.
Your rival can be fought once a day in the post game city with the battle maison ( forgot the name ). She is pretty easy to beat end gives decent experience so I recommend fighting her once every day.
Psychic Inver has high level Pokemon that can be tough but they give alright experience. Inverse battles are pretty difficult though as they mess with your head.
There is the elite 4 but the elite 4 is a bit more difficult than Cafe le Wow and it doesn't give as much experience.
Also as you mentioned battle chateau gives good experience points if you fight the Audino's there.

Those are all some good places to train up Pokemon. As for the Pokemon amie experience boost I am not sure since I never play Pokemon amie but you don't need it since leveling is pretty easy in these games.

I would agree with you if we were talking about the 1v1 ladder. But in 6v6, individual 1v1 scenarios don't matter much in terms of determining what counters what. Here's what would actually happen:

Round 1: Megakhan predicts the switch into Aegis, goes EQ. Nails Aegis for 75%+. WP Activates.
Round 2: Megakhan finishes the job with another EQ. WP doesn't matter because Megakhan is immune to shadow sneak.

A counter would have to be something like Physically Defensive Zapdos to Mega Pinsir. It comes in, takes hardly any damage (M-Pinsir's return is just a 0.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery), and OHKO back with thunderbolt. So at best, Aegis is a check to Megakhan. And when it comes down to it, that's the whole reason it's overpowered: because it has no proper counters. If you don't have a proper counter, that means something on your opponents team has to get KOd just so you can bring in a revenge killer, and even then the Megakhan switches out and the whole process repeats.

(Personally, I don't even consider Rocky Helmet Ferrothorn, one of the main pokemon run to combat Megakhan, to be a real answer, because if Megakhan goes Power Up Punch on the switch in, Ferro takes enough damage that a +2 Parental Bond earthquake will KO on the next turn without triggering iron barbs/rocky helmet. Essentially all there is, then, is prankster sableye to come in and burn it.)

The Swords Dance set is generally inferior to the mixed set (which can still run WP, and can actually take advantage of both boosts) because King's Shield leaves Aegis vulnerable to WoW burns which are flying around the tier like crazy, not to mention scalds, and it leaves Aegislash completely countered by certain physical walls like Hippowdon. Shadow Ball is the most common move on Aegis after King's Shield for a reason.
Sorry, I think some people misunderstood my original comment. I wasn't implying Aegislash was an actual counter, I was saying it is a Pokemon able to take down Mega Kangaskhan easier than others. I still don't see the reason why they banned it, it still has its weakness and I just find some other Pokemon to be better than it.

Sorry, I think some people misunderstood my original comment. I wasn't implying Aegislash was an actual counter, I was saying it is a Pokemon able to take down Mega Kangaskhan easier than others. I still don't see the reason why they banned it, it still has its weakness and I just find some other Pokemon to be better than it.
Did you read the thread that explained why it was banned?

Megakhan is not only incredibly powerful, it is over-centralizing. The latter is really what ultimately got it banned. Every team needed a counter to Megakhan, and that usually meant using things that are not very viable in OU otherwise, like Rocky Helmet, Prankster Sableye, or Cofagrigus.

Megakhan does have weaknesses, and it's not even that great in Ubers to be honest. It's probably the equivalent of a C-rank pokemon there, but that's because Ubers has so many more viable counters and checks to it. OU does not.

Vargr
Personally, I rather enjoy Hippowdon. It has access to Slack-Off, Whirlwind, and Stealth Rock. The recovery is particularly useful in a Sandstorm team, since Hippowdon will likely need to come in repeatedly. While Tyranitar is certainly not a bad option, Mewtwo does learn Aura Sphere and focus, so Tyranitar can be an iffy check to Mewtwo Y. Then again, Mewtwo in general is considered a monster even in Ubers; without legendaries, your best bet may be to wear it down with hazards and sand, then finish it with a revenge killer. Aegislash's Shadow Sneak and Pokemon with Sand Rush can help with this.

Did you read the thread that explained why it was banned?

Megakhan is not only incredibly powerful, it is over-centralizing. The latter is really what ultimately got it banned. Every team needed a counter to Megakhan, and that usually meant using things that are not very viable in OU otherwise, like Rocky Helmet, Prankster Sableye, or Cofagrigus.

Megakhan does have weaknesses, and it's not even that great in Ubers to be honest. It's probably the equivalent of a C-rank pokemon there, but that's because Ubers has so many more viable counters and checks to it. OU does not.
You'll be suprised at how viable it is in ubers.

posted this in the Mentorship Program SQSA but Whatever.

Can Someone list the best pokemon that benifit from sticky web being on the OPPOSING side of the field.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
How exactly does one become worthy of an OU custom banner? I'd love to have a Latios under my name for the cool factor.

Air said:
Can Someone list the best pokemon that benifit from sticky web being on the OPPOSING side of the field.
If you mean which of your Pokemon benefit from having Sticky Web on the opponent's side of the field, usually slow sweepers and wallbreakers without a way to boost their speed benefit the most from this. This is a rather long list, but notable powerhouses that suffer from being just a bit too slow include Kyurem-Black, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Medicham and Mega Garchomp. There are two drawbacks to Sticky Web, though. One is its poor distribution; the only OU viable Pokemon that learn it are Shuckle and Smeargle (though some will argue that Galvantula is viable). The second drawback is that Bisharp thrives on Sticky Web since it basically gives him an instant Swords Dance.

Reactions: Air
Vargr
Personally, I rather enjoy Hippowdon. It has access to Slack-Off, Whirlwind, and Stealth Rock. The recovery is particularly useful in a Sandstorm team, since Hippowdon will likely need to come in repeatedly. While Tyranitar is certainly not a bad option, Mewtwo does learn Aura Sphere and focus, so Tyranitar can be an iffy check to Mewtwo Y. Then again, Mewtwo in general is considered a monster even in Ubers; without legendaries, your best bet may be to wear it down with hazards and sand, then finish it with a revenge killer. Aegislash's Shadow Sneak and Pokemon with Sand Rush can help with this.
I do need a good wall on my team and slack off definitely makes Hippowdon appealing, I wish he was rock to benefit from the SDef benefit of sandstorm but it may still be workable. What sort of EV/IV spread are you recommending in this role? 252 HP is obvious but would you recommend a focus on Def from there or more of a split between Def and SDef to make him a somewhat more rounded wall?

Vargr said:
I do need a good wall on my team and slack off definitely makes Hippowdon appealing, I wish he was rock to benefit from the SDef benefit of sandstorm but it may still be workable. What sort of EV/IV spread are you recommending in this role? 252 HP is obvious but would you recommend a focus on Def from there or more of a split between Def and SDef to make him a somewhat more rounded wall?
While the full defense build walls physical Pokemon harder, the mixed wall build (252 HP / 4 Def /252 SDef ) walls more Pokemon in general than the full defense build, which lets it come in on more Pokemon if your sandstorm ends. If you were only planning on using one or two defensive Pokemon, the mixed wall set will probably work best for you.

I've been wanting to make my first OU 6th gen rain team for a couple of days now but I suck at team building... can anyone experienced PM me and help me out with possible team members? I already have four potential members on the team but I'm finding it hard to get two other team members that have great synergy with the other team members and can set up hazards.

I have a bold magic guard clefable I am planning to put on a sand team and I was wondering the best move set for it? I don't have access to softboiled and its a sand team so moonlight will suck, so wish is a must have, but with wish do I need protect? I feel like I definitely need calm mind and either stored power or moonblast, but which attack? And then should I use protect or aromatherapy?

Why are charizard, mawile and pinsir in ou? Shouldn't they simply ban their mega stones from the lower formats, a la kangaskhan/gengar/lucario?

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Why are charizard, mawile and pinsir in ou? Shouldn't they simply ban their mega stones from the lower formats, a la kangaskhan/gengar/lucario?
No, because unlike the ones you mentioned, they aren't broken. Mawile loses to anything faster, and Zard loses to the Latis and dragons in general, as well as Chansey and CM Clefable.

No, because unlike the ones you mentioned, they aren't broken. Mawile loses to anything faster, and Zard loses to the Latis and dragons in general, as well as Chansey and CM Clefable.
No, I mean like... Charizardite x/y, mawilite and pinsirite can only be used in OU and Ubers, while regular charizard, mawile and pinsir go back to NU. Especially mawile since she's probably pretty decent in NU now, she got a big buff outside of her mevo from her fairy typing.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
No, I mean like... Charizardite x/y, mawilite and pinsirite can only be used in OU and Ubers, while regular charizard, mawile and pinsir go back to NU. Especially mawile since she's probably pretty decent in NU now, she got a big buff outside of her mevo from her fairy typing.
Oh. It's because the usage stats are based on the base forms, and they get enough usage to be OU.

yeah usage stats are based on the base forms and mega evos are just thought of as a different item (charizard with x stone, y stone, specs, salac etc are treated the same in tiering)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)