Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did the Smogon pokedex/pokemon/move info get worse? I like the new layout, but some vital info got removed, i.e.:

-Summary of each pokemon's role in the meta
-Actual stat point ranges instead of just base stats
-List of counters for each pokemon
-Move calc info for complex moves such as Gyro Ball

All of this is gone not only for X/Y but for previous generations as well and I'm struggling to understand why.

I could use some advice on how to get around fully invested stall teams.
Full stall needs to be taken into account when teambuilding, especially as some of the new Megas fit very well on stall, such as Mega Latias and Mega Sableye, which can both wall a significant number of pokemon and serve as a win condition. If you play passively against stall with a non-stall team, then you're likely to lose, as while stall teams will almost always have at least one pokemon that beats one of your 6 pokemon 1v1 (ie. a check), they won't necessarily have counters, making double switching one of the most effective means of pressuring stall teams. One method I use, is to take good stall teams, for example http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-ou-sample-team-thread.3521695/#post-5849864 and without looking at the sets or explanations, compare your team and think about how you might try and outplay them; for example, if your team included Bisharp + Mega Gardevoir, and you had a matchup of Bisharp vs Clefable, Chesnaught is a good counter to Bisharp, and the most reliable Bisharp switchin on the team, so you could bring in Mega Gardevoir on the predicted Chesnaught switch and keep the momentum on your side, instead of going for an attack and then being forced out by the threat of Drain Punch, and so on.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Why did the Smogon pokedex/pokemon/move info get worse? I like the new layout, but some vital info got removed, i.e.:

-Summary of each pokemon's role in the meta
-Actual stat point ranges instead of just base stats
-List of counters for each pokemon
-Move calc info for complex moves such as Gyro Ball

All of this is gone not only for X/Y but for previous generations as well and I'm struggling to understand why.
It's a bug with the dex from what I understand. The info actually is always written up by the analysis writter; the dex just doesn't include it for some reason. If you want to find a Pokemon's checks/counters, you have to look where all the analyses for Gen6 are stored: here.

Last edited:
I could use some advice on how to get around fully invested stall teams.
Stallbreakers & wallbreakers

Stallbreakers generally run Taunt to prevent the opposing 'mons from using status moves / recovering / setting up hazards. Stallbreaker Mew is a great example w/ Taunt + Will o Wisp + Knock Off + Recover, since it's fast enough to get off the Taunt versus virtually any stall 'mon & wears them down with Wisp while blocking off their recovery. Stallbreaker Talonflame, Gengar work the same way. You can also run Trick + Choice items to really piss off & neuter opposing walls; Scarf Latios is a great option for this, as it lures in opposing Chanseys. Note though that in M-Sableye's case you'll need to break it a different way.

Wallbreakers are essentially nukes that give no fks about walls. SD Mega Heracross is a good example of one with its base 185 attack that can be boosted to obscene levels; the best part is neither Quagsire nor Skarmory can afford to switch into as they're likely 2HKOd. Tail Glow + Rain Dance Manaphy is another spectacular wallbreaker since it absorbs status & boosts to obscene levels, to the point where even Chansey can't take it on.

Basically you want to keep momentum in your favor, overwhelm the opposing walls, and/or neuter them via moves like Taunt & Trick.

I have a hazard based team, which really needs help. The idea works, but it's kinda screwed if Skarm is threatened, so I needed a back up spike setter that wasn't wrecked by fire or electric types. All there was that wasn't paper thin defence wise was Crustle. Would this set be viable as a Skarm back up?

Crustle @ Leftovers
Max HP and S.Def (will work out an exact spread when I'm on my computer.)
Careful Nature

Stealth Rock
Spikes
Earthquake/Rock Slide
Filler (probably X-Scissor as it doesn't get recovery or roar/whirlwind IIRC.)

I have a hazard based team, which really needs help. The idea works, but it's kinda screwed if Skarm is threatened, so I needed a back up spike setter that wasn't wrecked by fire or electric types. All there was that wasn't paper thin defence wise was Crustle. Would this set be viable as a Skarm back up?

Crustle @ Leftovers
Max HP and S.Def (will work out an exact spread when I'm on my computer.)
Careful Nature

Stealth Rock
Spikes
Earthquake/Rock Slide
Filler (probably X-Scissor as it doesn't get recovery or roar/whirlwind IIRC.)
Try Chesnaught

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Spiky Shield/Wood Hammer
- Drain Punch

Physically defensive is also an option, but the idea is you'll come in on grass types, rotom wash, T-Tar, Excadrill, Bisharp and use them to set up.

Calcs are down but with Spiky Shield you easily set up spikes on defensive HP Fire M-Venusaur (immune to sludge bomb), Technician Breloom won't do much, Ferrothorn can't do anything besides set up with you.

Try Chesnaught

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Spiky Shield/Wood Hammer
- Drain Punch

Physically defensive is also an option, but the idea is you'll come in on grass types, rotom wash, T-Tar, Excadrill, Bisharp and use them to set up.

Calcs are down but with Spiky Shield you easily set up spikes on defensive HP Fire M-Venusaur (immune to sludge bomb), Technician Breloom won't do much, Ferrothorn can't do anything besides set up with you.
I'd prefer something that doesn't share a weakness with the core of my team, as I have nothing to counter most fire types. I have Nidoqueen to check them, but using another fire weak mon doesn't appeal to me, especially as I have Bisharp to switch into defog to gain the defiant boost.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'd prefer something that doesn't share a weakness with the core of my team, as I have nothing to counter most fire types. I have Nidoqueen to check them, but using another fire weak mon doesn't appeal to me, especially as I have Bisharp to switch into defog to gain the defiant boost.
How does nidoqueen check Fire types? That makes no sense, as it doesn't resist their stab moves. If anything, it checks stuff like terrakion but that's really the extent of it, nidoqueen just isn't good in OU.

How does nidoqueen check Fire types? That makes no sense, as it doesn't resist their stab moves. If anything, it checks stuff like terrakion but that's really the extent of it, nidoqueen just isn't good in OU.
It can take a hit from them and deal SE damage with STAB sheer force earth power. It's the best I can do for a toxic spikes/roar user too.

If you want to have something that synergizes with your team you should post what you have so far. Maybe run roar on chesnaught, and replace queen with tentacruel but then you'll probably say the team becomes too passive or needs a ground type.

What partners well with Crobat besides Tyranitar? I'm trying to think of powerful Pokemon that are 2x or 4x weak to Grass, Fighting, and/or Ground.

What is a good thought process while building a balance team? I really enjoy them but I have never actually created one myself. I'm not asking for a team, but how to build one.

What is a good thought process while building a balance team? I really enjoy them but I have never actually created one myself. I'm not asking for a team, but how to build one.
For starters, you want to have a solid core, whether that be a defensive or offensive one. Stuff like FWG (fire-water-grass) cores are nice in balance as they generally cover each other in terms of weaknesses. Then you can add on to that core answers to what threatens it. That's one way to approach it.

Another way to build for balance is to pick a pokemon and build solely around it. So if you wanted to build around, say, Gallade-Mega in the OU tier, you would add teammates that support and complement him. (Rotom Wash for Talonflame and Intimidate Landorus T, a fairy type for Gallade's counter Mega Sableye, hazard support to turn 2hko's into Ohko's.)

Keep in mind that you want to also have answers to top tier threats as well as answers to stuff like stall, Rain offense, etc.

Hope this helped :]

Last edited:
What partners well with Crobat besides Tyranitar? I'm trying to think of powerful Pokemon that are 2x or 4x weak to Grass, Fighting, and/or Ground.
Metagross is a fairly good one, since Crobat is immune ground moves. Plus Metagross resists psychic and ice moves directed at Crobat.
Similarly Excadrill, for the reasons above plus Excadrill is immune to electric moves.

Steel types are generally good partners for Crobat, but you'd probably need a third member to absorb fire attacks directed at them.

Why is Gardevoir banned from UU instead of Gardevoirite? Gengarite was banned from OU instead of Gengar. I suppose it's not the biggest deal in the world, but it's annoying.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Why is Gardevoir banned from UU instead of Gardevoirite? Gengarite was banned from OU instead of Gengar. I suppose it's not the biggest deal in the world, but it's annoying.
The reasoning behind banning the base forms of the megas banned from UU was mainly due to the fact that gardevoir, for example, got enough usage in OU to be in the tier. However, gengarite was banned because shadow tag combined with high special attack and speed made Gengar too overpowered / overcentralizing / uncompetitive / whatever, and Gengar itself is perfectly stable in the OU meta.
Edit: ninja'd, just put in a bit more detail :P

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
This might not be classified as a "simple answer", but the question cannot be answered well without going kind of in-depth, so here goes n_n
When building a balanced team, my teams generally consist of defensive backbone capable of dealing with most threats, and an offensive core capable of breaking down even bulkier cores. Sometimes, I use a pre-made archetype, which consists of the following:
Wallbreaker | Wallbreaker 2 or Stallbreaker | Revenge Killer or Speed Control | Hazard Setter | Pivot | Filler
Wallbreakers are key Pokemon on every Balance team. In order to not only be able to break through Offense, but also opposing Balance and Stall, your team has to pack at least one Pokemon with the ability to break holes in the opponents cores. These Pokemon are generally offensive, with a lot of offensive presence, in form of high offensive stats, or access to high BP moves.
If it doesn't fit your team to run two wallbreakers, and it feels the need of the defensive presence some stallbreakers provide, running a Pokemon specified to beat stall is a very good option of most Balance teams. Stallbreakers can be both offensive and defensive, and the need for one or the other varies depending on the rest of your team.
To not auto-lose to setup sweepers such as DD Mega Charizard X, DD Mega Altaria, etc., you either have to have a defensive check, or a potent reveneg killer. These revenge killers have to have a naturally high Base Speed, or access to some form of strong priority move. Choice Scarf Pokemon make great revenge killers too, as they are able to revenge most setup sweepers, even if they are at +1.
Having another way of stopping setup sweepers is an option aswell. Prankster Thunder Wave is the most viable option here, and there are very few Pokemon who has access to that combination in the OU metagame.
Entry hazards are a must on every Balance team, as well. In order to stand a chance at breaking holes in bulkier teams, damage from Stealth Rock and possibly Spikes are ever so helpful. Wearing down Offense also becomes much easier, as switching around means that your opponent will take a lot of damage.
Both offensive and defensive pivots are great additions to most teams, as they gain momentum for their team. This means setting entry hazards, and bringing in your wallbreakers becomes much easier. Defensive pivots are oftenly an important part of the defensive backbone in most Balance teams, too. These defensive Pokemon have usually have Regenerator or Natural Cure as abilities, or access to Volt Switch or U-Turn. Offensive pivots are most commonly Pokemon with access to Volt Switch or U-Turn, which lets them keep up their momentum.
Fillers are the Pokemon you add to your team to accomplish a role that your team is in need of. This can vary between Hazard Control | Defensive Glue | Hazard Setter 2
If you are using one or more Pokemon weak to SR, I would adivse you to use a Pokemon capable of removing entry hazards on your side of the field. If running Spikes, Rapid spin is preferred over Defog, as you can keep your own hazards.
If your team is especially weak to one certain threat, using a defensive glue to patch up that weakness is a great solution, and use of the filler slot. Almost any defensively oriented Pokemon is capable of acting as a defensive glue, but some check more threats than others. Below, I'm going to list my personal favorites, as they check a lot of threats that seem to trouble Balance teams.
Running Spikes alongside Stealth Rock can be really profitable, if playing bulkier teams. Thus, if you already ahve the defensive core covered, you can use a Spikes setter in the filler slot.
[Wallbreaker]
[Wallbreaker 2]
[Hazard Setter]
[Pivot]
[Revenge Killer]
[Stallbreaker]
Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 48 Atk / 208 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Gallade (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Swords Dance

Ferrothorn @ Shed Shell
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Def / 108 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick
- Tailwind
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

Diggersby @ Life Orb
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack
Greninja and Mega Gallade form a terrifying offensive core, so thats the core i built the team around. Becuase physically defensive tanks, such as Landorus-T and Mega Sableye bothered Mega Gallade, I wanted to put Diggersby in the mix as well. It draws in Mega Sableye, and takes it on, so Gallade can have a lot of fun. The favor is returned as well, seeing as how Gallade draws in Skarmory for Diggersby to have a field day. To create a good defensive backbone, I added Rotom-W and Ferrothorn. These two Pokemon check the majority of the metagame, while providing hazard support, and momentum from Rotom-W's Volt Switch. Something that really troubled the defensive core was the two charizard Mega evolutions. Therefore, I added choice Scarf Latios, which revenge kills both of them, even when Mega Charizard X is at +1 Speed.
Hope I helped, god damn that was a lot of hide tags u_u

Last edited:
Gardevoir was NU last generation, and even the fairy typing would not make it OU in X/Y without 100 base speed and pixilate hyper voice backing it up. Was there some amazing choice scarf set sweeping the tier I never knew about?
Mega usage is directly tied to the usage of its base form. Mega Gardevoir is OU by usage, so by extension Gardevoir is OU by usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)