Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a link to the beta version of a 6 gen ORAS damage calculator?
You can just use the regular damage calc and adjust the stats, abilities and typings yourself. It's a bit tedious, but I believe they are working on it.

Edit: I stand corrected. As usual, bolts is right and I am wrong.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Here you go: http://gamut-was-taken.github.io/
It has strong winds, harsh sunlight, heavy rain, and all the new megas with more sets than the regular calc.

Edit:
'd

Also:

Where can we change our DOB for the site? I put a fake one when I signed up because I didn't trust the site yet. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Which forum would be the best place to post a thought experiment / discussion relating to competitive Pokemon but not about existing Pokemon (more in the realm of speculation, although it would more accurately be utilizing creative thinking)?

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Which forum would be the best place to post a thought experiment / discussion relating to competitive Pokemon but not about existing Pokemon (more in the realm of speculation, although it would more accurately be utilizing creative thinking)?
Do you mean something like making fakemons? If so, there is a community project called create a Pokemon where the smogon community creates a new Pokemon every once in a while that you could look into. They use CAP as an acronym for it.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
How can i fill my team ? It's MegaGallade+Bisharp+Rotom-W+Gyarados
Your team is dominated by physical attackers, so I recommend adding Fast Tauntran so you get a 3 in 1. A rock setter, a special sweeper, and a fast taunter for breaking stall. You might just wanna stick mixed Greninja or something in the last slot so that you have a strong attacker. If you don't want to use the broken frog you could add a defogger/spinner so gyarados doesn't have to worry about stealth rocks.

So my best friend hasn't played an actual Pokemon game since Sapphire, but that was only two years ago since I got him a copy for Christmas. Turns out he was an even bigger Pokenerd than I was back in GSC and only stopped playing because he never had a DS. And now he's *this close* to buying a 3DS and a copy of Alpha Sapphire, and he has expressed strong interest in joining me in the competitive scene if that happens! So I'm making a hard sell from a competitive point of view.

Long story short, I'm trying to build a workable team made of the following Pokemon, and I wanted to come to you guys to see what the obvious weaknesses/strengths/team roles/things to consider are, or perhaps best sets. The actual specific set doesn't matter so long as they're gen 6 legal and the species stay the same, and of course that they function as a team.

Thundurus (or Zapdos, if that helps)
Mega Gardevoir (Or regular scarf-voir I guess, I'm just saying Mega because it's more generally useful)
Tyranitar (Mega if Gardevoir isn't, maybe)
Starmie
Dragonite
Excadrill?
(Actually a free spot to do whatever the team needs, but we thought of Excadrill first for a few reasons.)

Explanation:
My friend and I were talking at length for several weeks about Pokemon before the ORAS release and I was explaning base battles. Conversation turned to what my "dream team" would be in a universe where everything was viable. And then it turned to what his would be, taking into account he's only played to Gen 3, and has played the gen 5 card game.

Is it me, or are they disgustingly usable for someone who hasn't played since GSC???? I am personally offended - I have to make good with Dragalge and Reuniclus. It initially had Zapdos before I mentioned the only way he could get Zapdos was getting XY and picking a specific starter, so he nixed that - I told him Thundurus shared that typing and he was cool with that. But if I had to I'd get a Zapdos from someone online. And we had a spare slot, so off the top of my head Excadrill solved some problems. I can tell he's TOTALLY getting into this, but before we try out a team on the sim I want to make it as good as you can before actually testing, to make the initial battles as fun and as easy as possible for a relative noob.

Still, the team seems to have a lot of bases covered already. Several choices for set-up sweepers or revenge killers, several options on spinners or even a Defog user, SR from Tyranitar or the 6th slot, a usable mega/wall breaker... just have to flesh out the specifics. And I'd like suggestions :) Especially on how to go about using Starmie; the viable Starmie sets are SO different and he'll want it to function optimally in the team.

A person's future Pokemon hobby rides on this guys!! the stakes have never been higher!!

So my best friend hasn't played an actual Pokemon game since Sapphire, but that was only two years ago since I got him a copy for Christmas. Turns out he was an even bigger Pokenerd than I was back in GSC and only stopped playing because he never had a DS. And now he's *this close* to buying a 3DS and a copy of Alpha Sapphire, and he has expressed strong interest in joining me in the competitive scene if that happens! So I'm making a hard sell from a competitive point of view.

Long story short, I'm trying to build a workable team made of the following Pokemon, and I wanted to come to you guys to see what the obvious weaknesses/strengths/team roles/things to consider are, or perhaps best sets. The actual specific set doesn't matter so long as they're gen 6 legal and the species stay the same, and of course that they function as a team.

Mega Gardevoir (Or regular scarf-voir I guess, I'm just saying Mega because it's more generally useful)
Starmie
Dragonite
Excadrill?
(Actually a free spot to do whatever the team needs, but we thought of Excadrill first for a few reasons.)
Well, if I can offer some admittedly amateur advice off the bat

- No problem using base T-Tar. In fact, it's arguably more viable for lacking opportunity cost and item usage
- Is Thundurus going to be full special or mixed? Might affect what makes for good teammates/support
- Definitely go Mega Gardevoir if she's your choice. Scarf set has other options/more viable replacements otherwise
- If Starmie's definite, Excadrill should be Sand Rush, since his only other set noteworthy is Spinner. Otherwise I might need to see full sets to determine a replacement
- As it is, your team looks like it'd have some trouble with strong Special Attackers, so I recommend either Band Dragonite to punch holes, or Sp Def Dragonite (CBB) to counter things like Landorus-I or Zard-Y.

As for suggestions at a glance, I recommend trying to spread Paralysis or to deal with fast and frail threats. Scarf or Priority users like Talonflame, Keldeo, Landorus-T, etc. might help. Essentially, Gardevoir is a nuke, but her speed's a little underwhelming, so dealing with those threats mean she might get 3 kills instead of 1-2 before being revenged, and the team's speed on the whole is a bit all over the place, but on the slower side, and looks to have trouble with Greninja.

If all else fails, you or your friend could hit up the simulator or mentorship section for help, because I'd certainly like if my advice helped someone else join the community.

After further testing I have determined that mega swampert outclasses seismitoad as a swift swim sweeper, but seismitoad fills 60-80% of the void that mega swampert leaves behind.
Did you mean to post this in the OU viability thread? I only ask because I didn't see any questions regarding the two in this thread.

Well, if I can offer some admittedly amateur advice off the bat

*snop*
Cool, thanks! I was thinking the special set for Thundurus, but realistically the only physical move I'd use would be Knock Off. HP Ice/Thunderbolt and especially Thunder Wave are too good not to use. But then that DOES leave one slot, so yeah maybe mixed? Thunder Wave is just so useful as a catch-all and for things like Dragonite and Gardevoir. Question: When you said dealing with fast and frail threats, did you mean deal with them USING Talonflame/Keldeo/Lando T? Or or those the threats you meant (not that Lando is frail or can be paralyzed, haha). Presumably instead of Excadrill - We were thinking Scarf Breaker because it's pretty good at a lot of things and has fills in some typing gaps, but of course with Tyranitar in tow... On the other hand, using Smooth Rock + Sand Rush sort of sets some team building restrictions; I can't really see the others as meshing too well with it. Not sure what we can do about the speed differences besides adding a scarfer, staying with max speed Starmie, or maybe DD Dragonite but actually the ones I thought would fit were actually Band with an option on Specially Defensive.

In regards to Greninja... this is really all down to me, but whenever something gets really ubiquitous and restrictive in team building like Greninja is currently I just sort of throw my hands up in the air, call it a day, and just accept my losses while hugging my knees and pretending there's an ongoing suspect test. It is not at all conducive to winning, haha :D I don't have a lot that could even check it, though. Could use Talonflame, and then bulky Starmie for reliable spinning.
If that's the case, then: Taunt on MGardevoir for stall (don't think I'd make too much use out of Will-o-wisp or the extra coverage), Support TTar for reliability + special bulk + rocks, Superpower on Thundurus for opposing TTar who are increasingly troublesome when using a Talonflame over an Excadrill...
damn I just realised it's got a fairly significant vulnerability to Scizor. Hrm. Definitely Reflect Type Starmie then. Maybe SD or BU Talonflame as an additional win condition if I'm not using Nasty Plot Thundurus or DD Dragonite. BU doesn't run Flare Blitz IIRC though, so eh?

I'd still appreciate any and all other thoughts from anybody :) Want to try and surprise my friend for the new year if I can get all this stuff bred/caught by then, even if he can't use them right away.

Just in general in the tier, how viable is rain right now? Not really anything flashy, just like a cookie cutter rain offense team.

Last edited:
Just in general in the tier, how viable is a rain right now? Not really anything flashy, just like a cookie cutter rain offense team.
It's considered a perfectly viable playstyle. I'm a little iffy on the framework, but I believe it's usually something akin to Politoed, 2 Rain Sweepers, 1 or 2 wallbreakers / stallbreakers, and a utility mon (usually a second rain setter). If you want a pretty good team, user Doughboy posted a pretty good one in the RMT thread. Here's the link: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/downpour-peaked-1.3524071/[ur/]

It's considered a perfectly viable playstyle. I'm a little iffy on the framework, but I believe it's usually something akin to Politoed, 2 Rain Sweepers, 1 or 2 wallbreakers / stallbreakers, and a utility mon (usually a second rain setter). If you want a pretty good team, user Doughboy posted a pretty good one in the RMT thread. Here's the link: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/downpour-peaked-1.3524071/[ur/]
Appreciate the quick response. Thank you

fish anemometer

I ❤️HOLE
is a Tiering Contributoris the defending PU Circuit Champion
I apologize if this has been answered before, but what is the most optimal ev spread for a mega gyarados packing crunch+taunt? The 2 last moves and a few team members would also be appreciated.

Btw I would like it to be on a semi-stall/balanced team.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist

Starmie
Dragonite
Excadrill?

Explanation:
My friend and I were talking at length for several weeks about Pokemon before the ORAS release and I was explaning base battles. Conversation turned to what my "dream team" would be in a universe where everything was viable. And then it turned to what his would be, taking into account he's only played to Gen 3, and has played the gen 5 card game.

Is it me, or are they disgustingly usable for someone who hasn't played since GSC???? I am personally offended - I have to make good with Dragalge and Reuniclus. It initially had Zapdos before I mentioned the only way he could get Zapdos was getting XY and picking a specific starter, so he nixed that - I told him Thundurus shared that typing and he was cool with that. But if I had to I'd get a Zapdos from someone online. And we had a spare slot, so off the top of my head Excadrill solved some problems. I can tell he's TOTALLY getting into this, but before we try out a team on the sim I want to make it as good as you can before actually testing, to make the initial battles as fun and as easy as possible for a relative noob.

Still, the team seems to have a lot of bases covered already. Several choices for set-up sweepers or revenge killers, several options on spinners or even a Defog user, SR from Tyranitar or the 6th slot, a usable mega/wall breaker... just have to flesh out the specifics. And I'd like suggestions :) Especially on how to go about using Starmie; the viable Starmie sets are SO different and he'll want it to function optimally in the team.

A person's future Pokemon hobby rides on this guys!! the stakes have never been higher!!
You might want to look into battle spot as well - as much as people here like 6v6 singles, there aren't a lot of opportunities to do those battles on cart against people who also want to play those rules. You're basically forced to go around on forums specifically asking people for them.

Battle spot on the other hand has permanent ingame ladders and their formats (like 3v3 singles) are also what they use for battle spot tournaments which are pretty fun. Plus the ORAS battle spot is pentagon-only, meaning he won't have to deal with weird hard-to-get sets like wish chansey or counter skarmory.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/battle-spot.265/

Last edited:
Your team is dominated by physical attackers, so I recommend adding Fast Tauntran so you get a 3 in 1. A rock setter, a special sweeper, and a fast taunter for breaking stall. You might just wanna stick mixed Greninja or something in the last slot so that you have a strong attacker. If you don't want to use the broken frog you could add a defogger/spinner so gyarados doesn't have to worry about stealth rocks.
Thanks very much!

You might want to look into battle spot as well - as much as people here like 6v6 singles, there aren't a lot of opportunities to do those battles on cart against people who also want to play those rules. You're basically forced to go around on forums specifically asking people for them.

Battle spot on the other hand has permanent ingame ladders and their formats (like 3v3 singles) are also what they use for battle spot tournaments which are pretty fun. Plus the ORAS battle spot is pentagon-only, meaning he won't have to deal with weird hard-to-get sets like wish chansey or counter skarmory.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/battle-spot.265/
Will do :) He's okay with using the simulator, which does free up team building (6v6 support is dire in-game and item clause is a bitch). Insofar as I can breed an in-game replica of the team, I will - though it's gonna be tough to try and make any kind of team that functions equally well in multiple formats. My priority right now is to get something functional on the OU sim so he can play with it over the holidays while limiting the amount of changes we have to make after he plays with it
Item clause really really really is a bitch though. Want a Bulky TTar+BU Tflame+Reflect Type Starmie+CBBNite? Game says Nope.
(No idea what Talonflame or Gardevoir set to use to be honest :?)

I think that latias is good for last place because he can remove hazards and it resists to keldeo, which can be a problem for this team

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
I think that latias is good for last place because he can remove hazards and it resists to keldeo, which can be a problem for this team
Since you already have a mega, I recommend using regular latios over regular latias because it fits with the rest of your team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)