Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Will do :) He's okay with using the simulator, which does free up team building (6v6 support is dire in-game and item clause is a bitch). Insofar as I can breed an in-game replica of the team, I will - though it's gonna be tough to try and make any kind of team that functions equally well in multiple formats. My priority right now is to get something functional on the OU sim so he can play with it over the holidays while limiting the amount of changes we have to make after he plays with it
Item clause really really really is a bitch though. Want a Bulky TTar+BU Tflame+Reflect Type Starmie+CBBNite? Game says Nope.
(No idea what Talonflame or Gardevoir set to use to be honest :?)
Leftovers on everything isn't all that great in 3v3 tbh. Battles are more offensive, dedicated walls are not very common (and the ones you do find are usually mixed walls like pory2 or cress), and there's a lot less stalling in general. Reflect type starmie wouldn't even be a thing - almost nobody uses hazards. An offensive LO or sash set would be better for 3v3 I think.

But this isn't the place to discuss battle spot stuff!

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
I apologize if this has been answered before, but what is the most optimal ev spread for a mega gyarados packing crunch+taunt? The 2 last moves and a few team members would also be appreciated.

Btw I would like it to be on a semi-stall/balanced team.
Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Taunt

This is in my opinion the best set of Mega Gyarados at the moment.

It works best late game so it appreciates if opponents are weakened. Hyper Offensive pokemon that can weaken oppossing walls like Greninja and Kyurem-B helps him. Especially because their coverage helps beating pokemon Gyarados is weak to. Pokemon that can defeat priority pokemon and get M-Gyarados in for free like Talonflame and Scizor are also appreciated team members. Talonflame can also take on Chesnaught, M-Gyarados biggest enemy, easily and other annoying walls like Mega Altaria are killed by Scizor.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Taunt

This is in my opinion the best set of Mega Gyarados at the moment.

It works best late game so it appreciates if opponents are weakened. Hyper Offensive pokemon that can weaken oppossing walls like Greninja and Kyurem-B helps him. Especially because their coverage helps beating pokemon Gyarados is weak to. Pokemon that can defeat priority pokemon and get M-Gyarados in for free like Talonflame and Scizor are also appreciated team members. Talonflame can also take on Chesnaught, M-Gyarados biggest enemy, easily and other annoying walls like Mega Altaria are killed by Scizor.
You should probably find a spot for 24 HP EVs so you can have that "magic" 337 HP.

SketchUp

regular gyarados can switch into stealth rocks 4 times before dying before stealth rocks and is generally better against residual damage.
Residual Damage (leech seed, hazards) does not care if you run 400 HP or 250 HP, it takes the same % each round. If you run 0 HP EVs, you still have an odd number (331 hp) and you can still switch in on Stealth Rocks 4x

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What exactly are Mega Blastoise's niches in OU, if it still has any now that ORAS is out?
Honestly mega blastoise is completely outclassed by greninja and the ORAS offensive megas. Maybe regular blastoise could find a niche as a bulky rain dish user, but there is probably a better Pokemon for even that role.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Honestly mega blastoise is completely outclassed by greninja and the ORAS offensive megas. Maybe regular blastoise could find a niche as a bulky rain dish user, but there is probably a better Pokemon for even that role.
How is mega blastoise outclassed by greninja? Ninja is an all out attacking and occasionally a spikes setter, while blastoise functions as a rapid spinner. While it faces a ton of competition for a mega slot, you cannot compare Greninja and mega blastoise.

SketchUp

Mega Blastoise's real niche is rapid spin and that it can kill every spinblocker with the exception of Mega Sableye (it can 2hko if it water pulses on the switch and sableye hasn't mega evolved yet or if it gets burn/confusion/crit hax) Something that makes him a really nice pokemon in UU, but I don't think it fits well in OU

p2

Banned deucer.
What exactly are Mega Blastoise's niches in OU, if it still has any now that ORAS is out?
It can still beat most spinblockers and can somewhat handle unboosted Mega Sableye, which is something

252+ SpA Mega Blastoise Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sableye: 132-156 (43.4 - 51.3%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
If it burns with Scald, it wins

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
How is mega blastoise outclassed by greninja? Ninja is an all out attacking and occasionally a spikes setter, while blastoise functions as a rapid spinner. While it faces a ton of competition for a mega slot, you cannot compare Greninja and mega blastoise.
Mega Blastoise's real niche is rapid spin and that it can kill every spinblocker with the exception of Mega Sableye (it can 2hko if it water pulses on the switch and sableye hasn't mega evolved yet or if it gets burn/confusion/crit hax) Something that makes him a really nice pokemon in UU, but I don't think it fits well in OU
I meant that it was outclassed as a sweeper by greninja and tentacruel outclasss it as a spinner.

SketchUp

I meant that it was outclassed as a sweeper by greninja and tentacruel outclasss it as a spinner.
You're doing something wrong if you try to sweep with Mega Blastoise
Also, Tentacruel is a defensive spinner while Blastoise is an offensive spinner and as I said, Blastoise actually defeats spinblocker where Tentacruel can't

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
Mega blastoise isn't supposed to sweep .-.
Bulky special sweeper is what it usually is, and several other megas are better than it at that, i realize that I shouldn't compare it to greninja now.
You're doing something wrong if you try to sweep with Mega Blastoise
Also, Tentacruel is a defensive spinner while Blastoise is an offensive spinner and as I said, Blastoise actually defeats spinblocker where Tentacruel can't
It still isn't worth the mega slot for rapid spinning when you can have offensive defoggers that acomplish nearly the same thing.

Thank you. What does/can Mega Sableye do back, out of interest?

Thank you. What does/can Mega Sableye do back, out of interest?
252+ SpA Mega Blastoise Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sableye: 180-213 (59.2 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Mega Blastoise Hydro Pump vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sableye: 120-142 (39.4 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

4 SpA Mega Sableye Shadow Ball vs. 236 HP / 0 SpD Mega Blastoise: 67-81 (18.7 - 22.6%) -- possible 5HKO
+1 4 SpA Mega Sableye Shadow Ball vs. 236 HP / 0 SpD Mega Blastoise: 102-120 (28.4 - 33.5%) -- 0.1% chance to 3HKO

Mega Blastoise wins unless you switch-in on Calm Mind. That's why I would run Hydro Pump over Scald, more overall damage and it beats Mega Eye more reliably.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
252+ SpA Mega Blastoise Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sableye: 180-213 (59.2 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Mega Blastoise Hydro Pump vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sableye: 120-142 (39.4 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

4 SpA Mega Sableye Shadow Ball vs. 236 HP / 0 SpD Mega Blastoise: 67-81 (18.7 - 22.6%) -- possible 5HKO
+1 4 SpA Mega Sableye Shadow Ball vs. 236 HP / 0 SpD Mega Blastoise: 102-120 (28.4 - 33.5%) -- 0.1% chance to 3HKO

Mega Blastoise wins unless you switch-in on Calm Mind. That's why I would run Hydro Pump over Scald, more overall damage and it beats Mega Eye more reliably.
Why don't people run mega launcher water pulse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)