SM OU Zard and friends doin what they can

I did quite a bit of competitive stuff in Gen 6 but haven't done much team building in Gen 7 outside of stuff for the battle tree and just goofy theme team stuff so I wanted to take a crack at it (apologies in advance if I missed something in formatting this stuff)

1513693687997.png1513688974209.png1513688995025.png1513693708477.png1513689013483.png1513689032231.png
I played quite a bit with this team and won a lot of battles pretty early on but then recently kept losing and losing more (guess that's just ranking for ya)

1513689285490.png
=>
1513693687997.png

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze => Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Roost

Pretty much what I wanted to try building a team around. In Gen 6 I mainly built around Y for it's nuking power so I wanted to give X a try.
It's the basic 252/252 offensive roost set but it's effective at what it does with that nice tough claws ability crushing things that aren't built for bulk.
FB kills off the annoying SD scizors and ferrothorns while just doing a ton of damage normally. DC kills other dragons that come in to block out any potential fire moves they think it'll use. EQ destroys the poor electric types that think it's a Y set as well as bully the one toxapex that forgets to carry toxic. Roost is just a handy healing move to have when the opponent doesn't go down to a single FB and you need some extra juice to smash into the target again.

1513688974209.png

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

I needed some defense for the offence so enter ferrothorn.
The typing makes it a wall for any fairies, seeders & sporers, and anything that doesn't appreciate have leech seeds strewn on them.
SR for sash breaking and giving anything with flames or wings a bad time. Seeds to scare off potential set ups and get that extra healing. Knock off to get rid of leftovers and choice items. Power whip for basic STAB and something to use when they are naked and covered in seeds.

1513688995025.png

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Roost
- Toxic
- Defog

To add to the bulk and give a nice GFW core we got mantine.
The defogger and status inflictor of the team that drinks up the scalds and pumps thrown at it on switch. Really good against other water types due to bulk, ability, and toxic/roost spamming.
Scalds got some decent STAB and some burn to thrown on anything that can't be poisoned. Roost to recover some of that health while removing a weakness to any slow rock throwers. Toxic for whittling down the walls that aren't made of steel. Defog sweeps away rocks and webs that give the sweepers a rough time.

1513693708477.png

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dazzling Gleam

I wanted some speedy power that complimented Charizard well so here's some Koko.
Fast sweeper with Specs that help it KO stuff at 100% with just volt switch make it really handy with scaring off anything weak to it even if they have some boosted stats
VS for slapping nonimmune mons before swapping out into something to eat it. T-Bolt cuz that electric terrain + Spec boost makes it a nasty STAB move even though thunder would hit harder. HP Ice for any cheeky ground types like everyone's 'favorite', landorus who think they can survive a hit. Dazzling gleam for more STAB damage that beats down the dark and fighting types and any dragons that HP wouldnt kill on its own

1513689013483.png

Keldeo-Resolute @ Waterium Z
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Taunt

Wanted to throw in some more power and I haven't used a Keldeo before so I thought I'd wing it.
I use it mostly as an anti lead to deal with obnoxious setup/status/boost moves and boost up when they run away while also punching a hole through anything that doesnt resist a water Zmove. Mantine does well as a bulky water but i Wanted the splash back.
Calm mind is for boosting when they switch out so it can sweep or at least hurt anything that comes in. Hydro Pump for that hard hitting water damage STAB move as well as adding more damage to its Zmove. Secret sword makes threats like tyranitar run away as well as throw those calm mind boosts at a weaker point on a special wall. Taunt is to tell the smeargles, ferrothorns, gliscors, and toxapexs to shut it.

1513689032231.png

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

Psychic types were a bit of an issue so I brought good ole T-Tar to handle them.
Classic choice band pursuit trap that makes choice set psychic types cry as they try to flee as well as provide a sandstorm that breaks any sashes not hit by stealth rocks.
Stone edge for STAB thats useful for fire types like Blacephalon, ZardY, and Volcarona who can't do enough to KO due to sandy special defenses. Crunch for when pursuit isnt enough and they are staying to fight instead of running. Pursuit with CB kills most non defensively built psychic types that either think running is a safer option or they locked themselves into their own choice item and can't do anything else. EQ for if you can afford the lack of STAB boost damage for accuracy or need to not out a pesky electric or poison type

Some weaknesses I've noticed is that there's no electric immunity which is an issue with Koko boosting all it's electric moves by existing.
Keldeo has been effective as an antilead preventing those rocks and webs early on but cant always deal with the switch-ins with only stab moves.
Kartana can pretty much safely attack anything with little worry about switch ins
a lack of priority moves is a problem when revenge killing stuff. I've considered throwing aqua jet onto keldeo just to finish off anything in the red.
Once something gets a boost going it's pretty hard stop them, especially if mantine/ferrothorn isnt out to status them/seed them into fleeing.

Like I said, I'm pretty new to the Gen 7 metagame, especially with all the new stuff thrown in from USUM so any feedback is appreciated.

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Hello Esarty really cool team, I love Zard-X so it's fun to see you using it. You were correct in noting that the team really struggles with electrics since you lack a ground type, which is basically a must at this point for that very reason. Secondly you mentioned having trouble dealing with faster threats which stems from your lack of a scarfer - so we'll ammend that. Other than that the team is actually pretty solid, so the only other concerns are minor little nitpicks.

Major Changes:

>
This is a very beneficial change. Mantine is a momentum drag on this team that's really only on the team to defog and take up space amongst a more offensive team. Latios similarly provides you with Defog, but it also gives you a revenge killer that helps against set up mons and other naturally fast threats (recommending a scarf set). Draco, Psyshock, and Defog are pretty much mandatory on the set, but you can play around with the 4th slot. Trick is an option to cripple fat mons, and something like HP Fire to help as a last resort against Kartanna is also something to consider (just play around with the slot till you find something you like).

>
Team really needed a Ground type, and Landorus-T is pretty much the best in the business. Paired with Ferrothorn you pretty effectively check relevant electrics. Defensive Landorus-T also forms a solid backbone with Ferro, and a solid VoltTurn core with Koko. Landorus-T also gives you a decent switch in to opposing Lando, which the team was somewhat lacking. I'm going to suggest Stealth Rock Lando, which means running Spikes Ferro. If you don't like that option since you have a Zard running Knock Off in that slot on Lando and keeping rocks on Ferro is another option.

Minor Changes:

I feel Dragon Dance > Roost on Zard-X is worth considering. Without Keldeo you lose some breaking power, and DD Zard helps make up for that. Another option here is dropping Dclaw instead of Roost, but that's something you'll have to test and see which option you prefer. Zard-x is the win condition here, so giving it the ability to set up, especially with Koko Volt Switching vs fat grasses giving you plenty of oppurtunities too is appreciated.

No big changes on TTar I just want to suggest trying out Fire Punch > Earthquake. Tapu Bulu can give you a bit of trouble since it bothers all your team members not named Zard, so catching that can help. In the pastebin I'm dropping below I'm using a fatter Ttar, but it's more a matter of preference. My set outspeeds bast 70s like Skarmory and Mantine, while maximizing bulk. Up to you on what spread you end up going with though, either option should still get the job done.

Conclusion:

That's all I had for the rate. Team should stand tall vs electrics, and take on faster threats a bit better this version. Was a lot of fun working on this, and I hope it helps you in some way. If you have anymore questions or concerns regarding the team let me know n_n!

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: blazetoughclaws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Trick

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dazzling Gleam

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Hey, thanks for the feedback
yea Latios might be a pretty good offensive threat with the scarf. Might go with HP fire over trick with stuff like kartana being a thorn in my side and difficult to switch in on/revenge kill (though if I were ever inclined to bring it to the real games getting the right typing might be hard)
I was hoping to avoid using Landorus-I as he's in like 50% of teams (i get why but it's ridiculous)
DDance over roost I'm a bit hesitant on with flare blitz as it limits his lifespan significantly unless i swap for fire punch
I'll give some of these changes a shot and see how they go

still open to more suggestions as I tool around with this team

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)