SM OU Zard-X Bulky Offense

Best Kanye West Album?

• Total voters

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Hey guys, this is my first RMT. The inspiration for this team was that I noticed that Bulu complimented Zard-X very well (I'll get into why in a moment). The rest of the team is built to compliment this core. This is not me trying to show off or anything, I'm looking for constructive criticism. Enjoy some music while I talk you through my thought process. Nearly as much flames as Charizard itself x

Importable: https://pokepast.es/e7885f5066084618

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Fire Punch / Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

Charizard-X is obviously the center-piece of the team. Everyone knows what this thing does by now. Bulky set up sweeper with great typing. The removal of Arena Trap from OU means that i) Zard doesn't have to worry about being trapped by Dugtrio and ii) a lot of mons that Zard-X likes to prey on become used even more (Magearna, etc). The reason I've left out Earthquake here is because the team has many Heatran answers, thought Earthquake wouldn't hurt on this as it would allow it to deal with Heatran, TTar, Diancie, Pex and the like, though the team has counters and checks for all the listed.

Tapu Bulu @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Swords Dance
- Superpower

Tapu Bulu does many things that Zard-X loves; he's the right-hand man. Tapu Bulu wallbreaks for Zard, weakens walls that wanna switch into Bulu to make sweeps easier, sets up Grassy Terrain which lets Zard heal over time and beats many things that would cause Zard trouble like Diancie (Moonblast is a 2HKO whereas Bulu sends that thing packing), Tapu Fini, etc. I chose the Fightinium-Z set because I wanted to maximise damage output and I dislike the Grassium-Z version. I wouldn't mind changing the set, however.

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 56 SpA / 200 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

I chose AV Mag because it benefits from the Grassy Terrain that Bulu sets by giving it recovery and
weakens Ground-type attacks. AV Mag checks Latios and Gren which both threaten the above mons. There is an option of taking around half health to OHKO offensive Landorus that think they can take Magearna out under Grassy Terrain. Magearna is a safe switch in to Diancie that also gains momentum with Volt Switch and threatens to OHKO it with Flash Cannon. This isn't groundbreaking - you all know what AV Mag is like by now.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 32 SpD / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I think my Lando spread may be wrong/outdated. Please correct me if it is. I chose Lando here because Zard appreciates Stealth Rock support which allows it to sweep easier. Furthermore, AV Mag + Defensive Lando-T is a very nice defensive core for offensive teams as they compliment each other very well by forming a Volt-Turn momentum gaining core while Lando hovers over any EQs that Maggie/Zard doesn't want to take. It also gives us switch ins to physical attacks, more notably Fighting-type ones. Leftovers is another choice for an item here, which would give Lando more longevity. Not much else to say here; Lando does what Lando does.

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Trick
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

I needed a Defogger and I wanted a scarfed mon to help against things like Volcarona and other setup mons. Trick is a nice option to catch Chanseys and such on the switch, though if you still need the speed boost from the scarf, don't hit Trick. Latios is also a Keldeo check, which this team doesn't really have (Bulu doesn't take Hydro's too well and doesn't want to switch into a Scald). Lati also serves as a Fire and Water resist, which I felt the team needed.

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Water Shuriken
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse

It may look like I just decided to throw this thing on the team at the last minute because it's a busted mon, but it serves another playmaking role here. Charizard really appreciates Spikes support - it puts more pressure on Toxapex and other walls that might want to switch around on the Zard. Gren offers priority which can pick mons off in the late game and revenge kill many threats like Volcarona.

Closing statements:

Like I said, I'm looking for constructive criticism and to be challenged. I'm a little unsure on some of my sets. Heatran seems to be a bit of a problem as the switch-ins (Lati and Zard) can't threaten it back (though Zard can bluff). Gren doesn't switch in too well against it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wob
Solid team man. I just want to point out that you shouldn’t use fire punch charizard x. Fire punchifor no recoil looks appealing, But flare blitz is more than 60% stronger. As charizard x needs all the power he can get, the recoil is worth it, besides, he has roost to heal the damage anyway.
BTW, I noticed you have a huge heatran weakness. Since I don’t really have time to help you fix that, add that to your threat list. I will help you with your Tran problem at my earliest convenience.

hello, allow me the honor to properly rate your team. so im doing this cuz zardx alongside volcarona are honestly 2 of my favorite mons (huge fire type fan) and i used the dd zardx with dd/blitz/claw/roost set in the earlier stages of sm to climb to like 1900 elo on the ladder and my own build was very similar to yours, it even used tapu bulu with zardx so i think i should be able to relate to this. to prove da legitimacy of my claim, this was my old team back then in a replay i saved
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-604991447

so lets look at your current lineup of 6...

ok so now 1stly, as you mentioned your latios is choice scarfed and doesnt carry coverage to hit tran so tran is looking like a huge pain cuz gren doesnt switch in well either. i agree with this. also from personal experience when using sr weak mons, usually if ur team can afford the luxury, try to avoid using choice locked hazard removers cuz sometimes u might wna switch moves to force the opponent's rocker/current mon out then defog.

2ndly, i think since u have both zardx and tapu bulu in 1 team, u should at least have some sort of measure vs. mega pinsir aka flying resist. i think the ou vr mentioned that it was dropping in usage cuz of the increase in celesteela and shiz, but coming ill prepared for that isnt a good idea cuz i think pinsir isnt exactly that uncommon on the ladder and its stupidly ez to use for such an obscenely strong mon, dem nasty ass aerilate boosted returns.

so lets see what kind of changes i can suggest, ofc ull have to test these changes out urself btw to see if they actually work...

ok... so with your tapu bulu set since heatran is a problem, i have a change of set to propose to deal with tran. besides tran, this should also take advantage of the current landot trend where most landots are fat variants which rly help zardx. this is the set i suggest...

Tapu Bulu @ Life Orb
EVs: 48 HP / 204 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower

now u may ask, why 48hp/4def... reason for this would be it doesnt break the damn sub. well hp ice would break the sub but if the opposing landot is fat, chances are they 90% wont stay in unless the opp is tilted. if u prefer it, u can try 252atk and 208 spe but i think as much speed as possible is better for an offensive mon like bulu. 208atk should still give it plenty of power. also, it cant be trapped by heatran magma storm while behind sub *i think* and u can dish out a stronk superpower to it.
0 Atk Landorus-Therian U-turn vs. 48 HP / 4 Def Tapu Bulu: 62-73 (21.1 - 24.9%) -- possible 5HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
204+ Atk Life Orb Tapu Bulu Superpower vs. 212 HP / 44 Def Heatran: 330-390 (87.7 - 103.7%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

ohko after sr, also its worth mentioning this bulu set is 1 of stall biggest nightmares for what its worth.

so with landot, its better u use lefties on it cuz u dont have another physical wall with reliable recovery. alternatively, if u feel wild enuf, u can try out this set i used on my old zardx bulu build to lure landot and back then tapu fini which was very common. being able to lure fat landot is 1 of the most important aspects of using dd zardx.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 24 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

or...

Landorus-Therian @ Expert Belt
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest/Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sludge Wave

252+ SpA Expert Belt Landorus-Therian Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Landorus-Therian: 350-413 (91.6 - 108.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Expert Belt Landorus-Therian Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 257-302 (65.2 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

so with magearna, your set is mostly fine, tho this is new updated smogon dex mag set.

Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 22 Spe
- Iron Head
- Fleur Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Volt Switch

iron head > fleur cannon mainly for sg cm boltbeam mag, im in agreement with you that ice beam > hp fire which is the standard on this set as it lures landot which might try to switch in to block momentum since u have a zardx to setup on fat grasses. also since we have bulu on team to half eq dmg, this makes it even better should u decide to stay in with mag and ice beam if u deem the fat landot too much of a pain.

now heres another interesting part... so as i mentioned earlier, if u can avoid using choice locked defoggers when using sr weak mons, do so. im proposing using groundium-z eq latios w/ defog here. lures sr and also sub/taunt toxic heatran which will probably stay in to tryna toxic u on the expected defog cuz this set isnt common at all, also does a nifty secondary job of luring and weakening av mag for it to spam draco and psychic later and latios isnt weak as u know. this also helps with ttar tryna trap you.

Latios @ Groundium Z
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Defog
- Earthquake

4 Atk Latios Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 212 HP / 44 Def Heatran: 432-512 (114.8 - 136.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 Atk Latios Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 212-250 (58.2 - 68.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Latios Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 142-168 (41.6 - 49.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
4 Atk Latios Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 220-260 (64.5 - 76.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

if your opponent thinks sending ttar out on latios will work... hehehe
you will need some prior damage with regards to magearna to ohko it

so now the slot will be allocated to speed control, tapu koko here is a very good fit imo. 1stly, rly appreciates latios z eqing the av mags, 2ndly, brings momentum via volt/uturn for zardx to come out on fat grasses to do its shit, 3rdly, with slight relevance, powers up volt switch from av mag, and lastly, very irritating mon to deal with once opponent loses their ground types, usually just landot on most teams and the team has lots of ways of dealing with fat landot cuz its terrain volt switches arent weak and they chip everything down a lot.

Tapu Koko @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid/Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch / Brave Bird
- Dazzling Gleam / Brave Bird
- U-turn

so im going to assume this is for laddering *please correct me if im wrong*. if u rly are worried abt volcarona, u can replace volt switch with brave bird and switch timid to naive however volc is generally particularly unreliable on ladder and there are very few if any at all consistent volcarona ladder teams so idt there is much need for concern there.

so this will be the altered final line up of 6 with import...

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

Tapu Bulu @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower

Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sludge Wave

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Iron Head
- Fleur Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Volt Switch

Latios @ Groundium Z
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Defog
- Earthquake

Tapu Koko @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn

sorry, also forgot that i have to mention to you that if you choose to use that ebelt lando-t i showed you, lopunny does become quite a problem for the team, so if u do meet a huge chunk of lopunny teams on ladder, switch to fat landot. my old build was during the tapu fini era where lopunny wasnt released yet. pinsir is still a huge problem cuz nothing really wants to take its aerilate boosted returns but koko at least provides a flying resist. the best way to handle that would be to mega evolve zardx asap and get rocks up vs the opponent. also mag can eat eq under grassy terrain and ice beam/fleur it.

Last edited:

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
hello, allow me the honor to properly rate your team. so im doing this cuz zardx alongside volcarona are honestly 2 of my favorite mons (huge fire type fan) and i used the dd zardx with dd/blitz/claw/roost set in the earlier stages of sm to climb to like 1900 elo on the ladder and my own build was very similar to yours, it even used tapu bulu with zardx so i think i should be able to relate to this. to prove da legitimacy of my claim, this was my old team back then in a replay i saved
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-604991447

so lets look at your current lineup of 6...

ok so now 1stly, as you mentioned your latios is choice scarfed and doesnt carry coverage to hit tran so tran is looking like a huge pain cuz gren doesnt switch in well either. i agree with this. also from personal experience when using sr weak mons, usually if ur team can afford the luxury, try to avoid using choice locked hazard removers cuz sometimes u might wna switch moves to force the opponent's rocker/current mon out then defog.

2ndly, i think since u have both zardx and tapu bulu in 1 team, u should at least have some sort of measure vs. mega pinsir aka flying resist. i think the ou vr mentioned that it was dropping in usage cuz of the increase in celesteela and shiz, but coming ill prepared for that isnt a good idea cuz i think pinsir isnt exactly that uncommon on the ladder and its stupidly ez to use for such an obscenely strong mon, dem nasty ass aerilate boosted returns.

so lets see what kind of changes i can suggest, ofc ull have to test these changes out urself btw to see if they actually work...

ok... so with your tapu bulu set since heatran is a problem, i have a change of set to propose to deal with tran. besides tran, this should also take advantage of the current landot trend where most landots are fat variants which rly help zardx. this is the set i suggest...

Tapu Bulu @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower

now u may ask, why 48hp/4def... reason for this would be it doesnt break the damn sub. well hp ice would break the sub but if the opposing landot is fat, chances are they 90% wont stay in unless the opp is tilted. if u prefer it, u can try 252atk and 208 spe but i think as much speed as possible is better for an offensive mon like bulu. 208atk should still give it plenty of power. also, it cant be trapped by heatran magma storm while behind sub *i think* and u can dish out a stronk superpower to it.
0 Atk Landorus-Therian U-turn vs. 48 HP / 4 Def Tapu Bulu: 62-73 (21.1 - 24.9%) -- possible 5HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
204+ Atk Life Orb Tapu Bulu Superpower vs. 212 HP / 44 Def Heatran: 330-390 (87.7 - 103.7%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

ohko after sr, also its worth mentioning this bulu set is 1 of stall biggest nightmares for what its worth.

so with landot, its better u use lefties on it cuz u dont have another physical wall with reliable recovery. alternatively, if u feel wild enuf, u can try out this set i used on my old zardx bulu build to lure landot and back then tapu fini which was very common. being able to lure fat landot is 1 of the most important aspects of using dd zardx.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 24 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

or...

Modest/Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sludge Wave

252+ SpA Expert Belt Landorus-Therian Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Landorus-Therian: 350-413 (91.6 - 108.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Expert Belt Landorus-Therian Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 257-302 (65.2 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

so with magearna, your set is mostly fine, tho this is new updated smogon dex mag set.

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Iron Head
- Fleur Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Volt Switch

iron head > fleur cannon mainly for sg cm boltbeam mag, im in agreement with you that ice beam > hp fire which is the standard on this set as it lures landot which might try to switch in to block momentum since u have a zardx to setup on fat grasses. also since we have bulu on team to half eq dmg, this makes it even better should u decide to stay in with mag and ice beam if u deem the fat landot too much of a pain.

now heres another interesting part... so as i mentioned earlier, if u can avoid using choice locked defoggers when using sr weak mons, do so. im proposing using groundium-z eq latios w/ defog here. lures sr and also sub/taunt toxic heatran which will probably stay in to tryna toxic u on the expected defog cuz this set isnt common at all, also does a nifty secondary job of luring and weakening av mag for it to spam draco and psychic later and latios isnt weak as u know. this also helps with ttar tryna trap you.

Latios @ Groundium Z
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Defog
- Earthquake

4 Atk Latios Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 212 HP / 44 Def Heatran: 432-512 (114.8 - 136.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 Atk Latios Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 212-250 (58.2 - 68.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Latios Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 142-168 (41.6 - 49.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
4 Atk Latios Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 220-260 (64.5 - 76.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

if your opponent thinks sending ttar out on latios will work... hehehe
you will need some prior damage with regards to magearna to ohko it

so now the slot will be allocated to speed control, tapu koko here is a very good fit imo. 1stly, rly appreciates latios z eqing the av mags, 2ndly, brings momentum via volt/uturn for zardx to come out on fat grasses to do its shit, 3rdly, with slight relevance, powers up volt switch from av mag, and lastly, very irritating mon to deal with once opponent loses their ground types, usually just landot on most teams and the team has lots of ways of dealing with fat landot cuz its terrain volt switches arent weak and they chip everything down a lot.

Tapu Koko @ Choice Scarf
Timid/Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn

so im going to assume this is for laddering *please correct me if im wrong*. if u rly are worried abt volcarona, u can replace volt switch with brave bird and switch timid to naive however volc is generally particularly unreliable on ladder and there are very few if any at all consistent volcarona ladder teams so idt there is much need for concern there.

so this will be the altered final line up of 6 with import...

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

Tapu Bulu @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower

Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sludge Wave

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Iron Head
- Fleur Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Volt Switch

Latios @ Groundium Z
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Defog
- Earthquake

Tapu Koko @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn

sorry, also forgot that i have to mention to you that if you choose to use that ebelt lando-t i showed you, lopunny does become quite a problem for the team, so if u do meet a huge chunk of lopunny teams on ladder, switch to fat landot. my old build was during the tapu fini era where lopunny wasnt released yet. pinsir is still a huge problem cuz nothing really wants to take its aerilate boosted returns but koko at least provides a flying resist. the best way to handle that would be to mega evolve zardx asap and get rocks up vs the opponent. also mag can eat eq under grassy terrain and ice beam/fleur it.
Thank you so much! I was considering EQ Lati before but wasn't sure how viable that was (I'm not too experienced with this game). I see why you've switched Gren with Koko, though not having Spikes is a bit of a pain. Not having priority is a bit annoying too. I think it may be for the better, however. This is for laddering, you're right. Would you change anything if it were to be used in tourney?

Last edited:
Thank you so much! I was considering EQ Lati before but wasn't sure how viable that was (I'm not too experienced with this game). I see why you've switched Gren with Koko, though not having Spikes is a bit of a pain. Not having priority is a bit annoying too. I think it may be for the better, however. This is for laddering, you're right. Would you change anything if it were to be used in tourney?
hiye, so you asked me me if i would switch anything if using this in a tour game over a laddering game. i dont think i would be able able to answer this that well cuz i dont have experience in that aspect tho.

i guess switching the tapu koko set to carrying brave bird by replacing it with 1 of the 2 slashed moves so the team is more ready to handle volcarona should do the trick.

Tapu Koko @ Choice Scarf
Timid/Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn

but, im quite confident in saying that most volcarona teams require the entire team to be built around it for support and even then theyre numerous problems it faces on the ladder when attempting to sweep like >100 speed scarfers the opponent might carry and ud have to nuke them as they hard switch into it, mega pinsir quick attacks, band zygardes espeed, the rarer mega mawile having to outplay sucker punches and chansey, hence why its particularly unreliable for laddering and usually u can get away with not coming prepared for it. :P

Hey guys, this is my first RMT. The inspiration for this team was that I noticed that Bulu complimented Zard-X very well (I'll get into why in a moment). The rest of the team is built to compliment this core. This is not me trying to show off or anything, I'm looking for constructive criticism. Enjoy some music while I talk you through my thought process. Nearly as much flames as Charizard itself x

Importable: https://pokepast.es/e7885f5066084618

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Fire Punch / Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

Charizard-X is obviously the center-piece of the team. Everyone knows what this thing does by now. Bulky set up sweeper with great typing. The removal of Arena Trap from OU means that i) Zard doesn't have to worry about being trapped by Dugtrio and ii) a lot of mons that Zard-X likes to prey on become used even more (Magearna, etc). The reason I've left out Earthquake here is because the team has many Heatran answers, thought Earthquake wouldn't hurt on this as it would allow it to deal with Heatran, TTar, Diancie, Pex and the like, though the team has counters and checks for all the listed.

Tapu Bulu @ Fightinium Z
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Swords Dance
- Superpower

Tapu Bulu does many things that Zard-X loves; he's the right-hand man. Tapu Bulu wallbreaks for Zard, weakens walls that wanna switch into Bulu to make sweeps easier, sets up Grassy Terrain which lets Zard heal over time and beats many things that would cause Zard trouble like Diancie (Moonblast is a 2HKO whereas Bulu sends that thing packing), Tapu Fini, etc. I chose the Fightinium-Z set because I wanted to maximise damage output and I dislike the Grassium-Z version. I wouldn't mind changing the set, however.

Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 56 SpA / 200 SpD
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

I chose AV Mag because it benefits from the Grassy Terrain that Bulu sets by giving it recovery and
weakens Ground-type attacks. AV Mag checks Latios and Gren which both threaten the above mons. There is an option of taking around half health to OHKO offensive Landorus that think they can take Magearna out under Grassy Terrain. Magearna is a safe switch in to Diancie that also gains momentum with Volt Switch and threatens to OHKO it with Flash Cannon. This isn't groundbreaking - you all know what AV Mag is like by now.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 32 SpD / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I think my Lando spread may be wrong/outdated. Please correct me if it is. I chose Lando here because Zard appreciates Stealth Rock support which allows it to sweep easier. Furthermore, AV Mag + Defensive Lando-T is a very nice defensive core for offensive teams as they compliment each other very well by forming a Volt-Turn momentum gaining core while Lando hovers over any EQs that Maggie/Zard doesn't want to take. It also gives us switch ins to physical attacks, more notably Fighting-type ones. Leftovers is another choice for an item here, which would give Lando more longevity. Not much else to say here; Lando does what Lando does.

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Trick
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

I needed a Defogger and I wanted a scarfed mon to help against things like Volcarona and other setup mons. Trick is a nice option to catch Chanseys and such on the switch, though if you still need the speed boost from the scarf, don't hit Trick. Latios is also a Keldeo check, which this team doesn't really have (Bulu doesn't take Hydro's too well and doesn't want to switch into a Scald). Lati also serves as a Fire and Water resist, which I felt the team needed.

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Water Shuriken
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse

It may look like I just decided to throw this thing on the team at the last minute because it's a busted mon, but it serves another playmaking role here. Charizard really appreciates Spikes support - it puts more pressure on Toxapex and other walls that might want to switch around on the Zard. Gren offers priority which can pick mons off in the late game and revenge kill many threats like Volcarona.

Closing statements:

Like I said, I'm looking for constructive criticism and to be challenged. I'm a little unsure on some of my sets. Heatran seems to be a bit of a problem as the switch-ins (Lati and Zard) can't threaten it back (though Zard can bluff). Gren doesn't switch in too well against it.
DIOOOO!!! NEVER thought I'd rate one of ur teams lol. My 1st change i would do would be making that zard roost 3 atk, as u have a p bad pex matchup and also its his best set rn. Also have 2 say I like the idea of specs koko over gren, as it is a very good offensive core and they cover each others weak points well. Otherwise looks like a fun team

My 1st change i would do would be making that zard roost 3 atk, as u have a p bad pex matchup and also its his best set rn.
i think his team was built around dd zard x and i would never think zardx with roost loses to pex that doesnt carry toxic 1v1. most common set as u probs know tspikes/scald/haze/recover, that set will lose to any zardx that carries roost 1v1.

this is more so in zardxs favor now esp since most pexs are heavily spdef invested. most of the time if pex tries to 1v1 a zardx w/o toxic theyll eventually get stalled out of recovers and have to switch out. it is a long and painful process but pex definitely does not beat zardx 1v1 if its not toxic.

and also, ive played numerous times of situations like that and i think during that time pexs were more phys def invested than the spdef variants currently and ive almost never lost 1v1 wars using zardx vs pex w/o toxic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)